This verse means what?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusMyOnly

Senior Member
Jun 30, 2014
880
15
0
1 Corinthians chapter 13 verse 12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

I was looking up this verse because I had found it the other night and it has been on my mind for some reason since then. I tried looking up the meaning (commentary, interpretation) of it. I'm just not completely sure I get it quite yet..
What does it mean exactly?
 
The majority of commentators say this is when we see Him and I agree.
They cross-reference it with 1Jn 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that,
when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.


Rom 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Rev 22:4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

I've got 19 out of the 21 commentaries in the e-sword on this verse but I'll just give the most popular named one here - Matthew Henry's -

"Now we can only discern things at a great distance, as through a telescope, and that involved in clouds and obscurity; but hereafter the things to be known will be near and obvious, open to our eyes; and our knowledge will be free from all obscurity and error. God is to be seen face to face; and we are to know him as we are known by him; not indeed as perfectly, but in some sense in the same manner. We are known to him by mere inspection; he turns his eye towards us, and sees and searches us throughout. We shall then fix our eye on him, and see him as he is, 1Jo_3:2. We shall know how we are known, enter into all the mysteries of divine love and grace. O glorious change! To pass from darkness to light, from clouds to the clear sunshine of our Saviour's face, and in God's own light to see light! Psa_36:9. Note, It is the light of heaven only that will remove all clouds and darkness from the face of God. It is at best but twilight while we are in this world; there it will be perfect and eternal day."



Amen! :D
 
1 Corinthians chapter 13 verse 12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

I was looking up this verse because I had found it the other night and it has been on my mind for some reason since then. I tried looking up the meaning (commentary, interpretation) of it. I'm just not completely sure I get it quite yet..
What does it mean exactly?

I suggest that you cross-reference a few different translations of the Bible. If the KJV is difficult to read and understand, try some modern ones (I suggest doing that even if this weren't the case). Then read, study and prayer over those verses. The Holy Spirit will guide you. :)

Two versions to get you started: NLT and the Good News

Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror; then we shall see face-to-face. What I know now is only partial; then it will be complete—as complete as God's knowledge of me.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
1 Corinthians chapter 13 verse 12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

I was looking up this verse because I had found it the other night and it has been on my mind for some reason since then. I tried looking up the meaning (commentary, interpretation) of it. I'm just not completely sure I get it quite yet..
What does it mean exactly?


This passage is in an analogy that Paul uses to describe how things will be when the faith matures. He writes about prophecy and knowledge being in part, they are not complete. The prophecy and knowledge are of the faith and when the faith is complete prophecy and knowledge (supernatural) will no longer be needed. To explain this Paul gives several analogies. He gives one of being a child and growing into a man, this is a process that takes place over time. He also uses the analogy that you're asking about. Seeing through a glass darkly refers to a mirror reflection. The mirrors of the day were not as they are today. They would have been more difficult to see a reflection in. He compares this to seeing a person face to face. When you look at a person face to face you can see them clearly, their face is not distorted as it most likely was in the mirror. Seeing through a glass darkly is comparable to knowing in part and prophesying in part. They did not have the full understanding of the Gospel and as such didn't have a completely clear understanding. However, when the maturity or completion of the Gospel would come then everything would be clear, as seeing one face to face. He also uses an analogy when he says, "for now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." He uses a play on words here, he uses "ginosko" and "epiginosko". Ginoslo means to know and "epiginosko" means to fully know. He says, now I know, but then (when the completion comes) I will fully know.

These are three analogies that describe the before and after situation of the completion of the faith.
 
"12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.
Back then they did not have crystal clear mirrors like we have today. And in the same way, spiritually speaking, they did not know the mystery of Christ (Colossians 1:26,27). They only seen the shaddow, not the reality (Colossians 2:17). They did not have all the pieces to the puzzle, but now we have the complete picture- unlike them we have the complete bible.


Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
Someone transferring from the old covenant to the new covenant because they lived when that was taking place, now knows completely- just as if someone was peeking from behind a tree, you can only see part of them, but maybe not even their whole face. In this case you can tell if they are male or female, about what height they are, but you wouldn't be able to pick them out of a crowd because you haven't had full view of them. But if they come out from behind a tree, and you see them fully from head to toe, and let's say you even spent years knowing them, to you they are fully known, but to someone who only seen them peek from behind a tree, they only know in part.
 
I referenced this verse in response to another thread, so i thought it would be good to post my thoughts on this thread. I completely agree with everything posted already, great answers all. I also believe 1 Corinthians 13:12 references man's inability to see God's ways here on earth.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
and your ways are not My ways.”
This is the Lord’s declaration.
9 “For as heaven is higher than earth,
so My ways are higher than your ways,
and My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8&9

Also, if you read the preceding verses Paul is saying at the end of time we will know what God was doing, whereas we just glimpse His Holy truths now.

Love never ends.
But as for prophecies,
they will come to an end;
as for languages, they will cease;
as for knowledge, it will come to an end.
9 For we know in part,
and we prophesy in part.
10 But when the perfect comes,
the partial will come to an end.


It is a beautiful, deep truth that has many applications to our Christian walk.