Thought Experiment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
For some, this may be a reality but for many, it may not be.

Question: How lost would you be if your Bible was taken and made scarce to find?

A. Would you be saddened but for the most part, you have written God's Word on your heart in preparation for when you may not have google or a paper copy of the Bible?

B. Would you feel totally lost as if you have now lost your connection to a loved one and deeply regretful you should have spent more time in the Word?

C. Would you intellectually realize the great loss of such an important moral guide for society but have never felt the relational side of God?

D. Or would your life not have changed very much related to how often you pick up the Bible?

If you are feeling more in connection to B, C, and D. Then in this thought experiment could you internalize this reality and how would you truly feel. What if your very life was in danger for just having a Bible? What if you had to go to great lengths in secrecy just to hear or read the Word of God?

This reality can put our liberty and religious freedom into perspective. How Christians in other countries meet in groups of over 100 or more people to hear the Word of God but they only have 1 copy of the Bible in their language. And that 1 copy is falling apart due to its use. Or in China where many must meet in secrecy or face indoctrination camps, prison, or death.

Let us take full advantage of our liberty and take part in the living water and the bread of life. Let us hunger and thirst for God's Word as if life depended on it. It will keep us spiritually full. Just as healthy fat is a good source of energy for the human body. Healthy levels of fat are stored in our cells until more energy is needed. In this process, it metabolizes to give the body extra energy.

If we are full of God then we are also storing up the essence of God. His Word, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, peace, discipline, and the forbearance to remain faithful and endure in future hardships.

Mar 4, 2020

Question: How lost would you be if your Bible was taken and made scarce to find?

A. Would you be saddened but for the most part, you have written God's Word on your heart in preparation for when you may not have google or a paper copy of the Bible?

B. Would you feel totally lost as if you have now lost your connection to a loved one and deeply regretful you should have spent more time in the Word?

C. Would you intellectually realize the great loss of such an important moral guide for society but have never felt the relational side of God?

D. Or would your life not have changed very much related to how often you pick up the Bible?

If you are feeling more in connection to B, C, and D. Then in this thought experiment could you internalize this reality and how would you truly feel. What if your very life was in danger for just having a Bible? What if you had to go to great lengths in secrecy just to hear or read the Word of God?

This reality can put our liberty and religious freedom into perspective. How Christians in other countries meet in groups of over 100 or more people to hear the Word of God but they only have 1 copy of the Bible in their language. And that 1 copy is falling apart due to its use. Or in China where many must meet in secrecy or face indoctrination camps, prison, or death.

Let us take full advantage of our liberty and take part in the living water and the bread of life. Let us hunger and thirst for God's Word as if life depended on it. It will keep us spiritually full. Just as healthy fat is a good source of energy for the human body. Healthy levels of fat are stored in our cells until more energy is needed. In this process, it metabolizes to give the body extra energy.

If we are full of God then we are also storing up the essence of God. His Word, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, peace, discipline, and the forbearance to remain faithful and endure in future hardships.
I think I'm in the A and C camp. While I like having paper and electronic copies of the Bible, I don't actually need them at this point. What I mean is that I've already gotten what I needed out of the Bible: the bits about loving God, loving each other, salvation, holy living, etc. I guess it's written on my heart by now.

Now I have a relationship with God and the letters of the Bible can in no way ever replace this sort of relationship. Does the Bible enhance this relationship? Absolutely, but the Bible isn't the spiritual relationship itself. Do I have the Bible memorized word-for-word from Genesis to Revelation? Nope! Probably never will either.

Like you pointed out, loosing access to a Bible is a real thing that happens. Maybe that is foreign to us in the US, but it does happen elsewhere. Salvation and relationship with God surpass everything and no one can ever take it from you.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I think I'm in the A and C camp. While I like having paper and electronic copies of the Bible, I don't actually need them at this point. What I mean is that I've already gotten what I needed out of the Bible: the bits about loving God, loving each other, salvation, holy living, etc. I guess it's written on my heart by now.

Now I have a relationship with God and the letters of the Bible can in no way ever replace this sort of relationship. Does the Bible enhance this relationship? Absolutely, but the Bible isn't the spiritual relationship itself. Do I have the Bible memorized word-for-word from Genesis to Revelation? Nope! Probably never will either.

Like you pointed out, loosing access to a Bible is a real thing that happens. Maybe that is foreign to us in the US, but it does happen elsewhere. Salvation and relationship with God surpass everything and no one can ever take it from you.
Thank you for your reply. When I meditated on such thoughts as this, I would have to conclude I sit in between A and B. I know enough of the Word to witness the core of Christianity and in-depth I can explain. But I will never be satisfied as the Bible has so much good wisdom and truth and I always want to remember more. If I was without the Bible in printed or on technology, I would in my heart grieve over the absence of wisdom I have yet to fully memorize. A lifetime of information that people have sacrificed their lives for. Just for upholding the truth.

Don't get me wrong. I know God's Word will never be suppressed or fully banned because God has multiple different ways He can connect to us.

Ultimately this thought to me is a self-check on how do I spend my liberty, time, and ability to own a Bible. Do I take full advantage of it or do I take it for granted?

B

Blackpowderduelist

Interesting, I have many copies of the Bible, so it would be hard to make them scarce around here. But it would definitely be weird. I guess my trouble remembering the addresses won't matter anymore.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Various people/Governments have been trying to destroy all Bibles for a very long time. However, God will NEVER allow them to do so!

During the Dark Ages, the really bad times for believers, in some parts of Europe the women would take the children out into the bogs at night and teach them the Word of God. They kept the Faith alive for many years. Other people went to great extremes as well.

I hazard to guess that way more people than we think would be lost if we actually did not have the Bible. God will not allow that!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Interesting, I have many copies of the Bible, so it would be hard to make them scarce around here. But it would definitely be weird. I guess my trouble remembering the addresses won't matter anymore.
It forces us to think about are we using our privilege to own a Bible to our full advantage or do we easily take it for granted.

B

Blackpowderduelist

It forces us to think about are we using our privilege to own a Bible to our full advantage or do we easily take it for granted.
Obviously we Americans take it for granted. I try to take mine everywhere I go, but often it gets opted out because my Bible app on my phone. Sadly. I try to carry my Bible and a prayer book and a note book. I'm not successful at being real faithful yet, but I am trying.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020

It would be like the (The Book Of Eli) a good flick, Denzel Washington :)

For those who haven't seen it, pretty good flick, based around a (Mad Max Apocalyptic Scenario), and the diminished word of God

Cant tell ya the whole storyline :giggle:

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
It would be like the (The Book Of Eli) a good flick, Denzel Washington :)

For those who haven't seen it, pretty good flick, based around a (Mad Max Apocalyptic Scenario), and the diminished word of God

Cant tell ya the whole storyline :giggle:
I saw it. Good movie. I didn't t even catch on that he was blind until the end

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Obviously we Americans take it for granted. I try to take mine everywhere I go, but often it gets opted out because my Bible app on my phone. Sadly. I try to carry my Bible and a prayer book and a note book. I'm not successful at being real faithful yet, but I am trying.
One element to us younger generations is technology. It is so easy not to remember very much due to if you just search a few keywords, boom, you have what you were thinking about. Just think about how many people remember phone numbers anymore. Verses in the paper version you have to remember the book and chapter just to get close to the verse or story you are thinking of. This can be problematic if we neglect it.

Albert Einstein said this below.
"Never memorize something that you can look up."​
I can see how this may help with memorization because most people only can hold so much information before it starts to fade or be forgotten. But if we neglect it too much, then we become dependent on such sources used to look things up.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There are people who have been made prisoners, especially prisoners of war, who are separated from their scripture, and must rely on memory verses.

I read an article about the Jews that pointed out that although they are a minority race in the world they achieve in a superior way. The article pointed out that part of the Jewish culture is in the training of their children. They are taught to memorize very early. The author thought it had a lot to do with their superior achievements.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Paul would certainly have known ALL the Old Testament Scriptures of by heart...To be a Rabbi, you had to know at least the first 5 books of the OT of by heart.

Many OT saints did not have the Scriptures, but had the living word revealed to them by vision/revelation, for example, Enoch (he walked with God for 300 years), Noah, Job, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Sarah, all had a living faith in Yahweh!

We have the Scriptures, but many Christians today have a word only knowledge of God and not a living faith!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Paul would certainly have known ALL the Old Testament Scriptures of by heart...To be a Rabbi, you had to know at least the first 5 books of the OT of by heart.

Many OT saints did not have the Scriptures, but had the living word revealed to them by vision/revelation, for example, Enoch (he walked with God for 300 years), Noah, Job, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Sarah, all had a living faith in Yahweh!

We have the Scriptures, but many Christians today have a word only knowledge of God and not a living faith!
But to be rabbi was like the elite of elite within the Israelites. Only a tiny fraction made it to rabbi or even a disciple of a rabbi. Wasn't easy for even the majority back then.

The living Word is no longer revealed by vision or revelation. Nothing new has to be said. People have been led to Christ through visions or dreams but God's Word has already been revealed.

Many in other countries have a living faith but they still need Bibles to hear and understand all of the written Word. Their lack of knowing doesn't reflect their lack of faith. They are showing faith in the little that has been revealed.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
There are people who have been made prisoners, especially prisoners of war, who are separated from their scripture, and must rely on memory verses.

I read an article about the Jews that pointed out that although they are a minority race in the world they achieve in a superior way. The article pointed out that part of the Jewish culture is in the training of their children. They are taught to memorize very early. The author thought it had a lot to do with their superior achievements.
And consider that for a moment. How fulfilled would we be if we only had our memory?

T

TheWaytoGo

Definitely A.

Had a taste of loss of freedom of religion during the persecution of the churches in California this past year (even now only 25% of total membership are "allowed to gather" in a church building, 6 feet apart and "wearing masks"). The governor also banned all home bible studies of two or more, and praying and singing songs of worship, even outside of a church (I think that "order" is still in effect).

It increased my faith, bible reading and relationship with Jesus Christ 1,000 percent. Thank you governor!

Beez

Nov 27, 2017

I guess my answer is not there. I spend a lot of my waking hours between the Bible's pages. I could not possibly do it more.

I had a stroke a couple years ago and lost my memory of much of the Bible, how to do simple math, my ability to use the computer, and of many past life-experiences and people. I immediately started learning and practicing it all again, especially the Bible, the most important thing for me. Of course, I am kind of old, so I have the time to do this. :cool:

The Bible took precedence for me

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely A.

Had a taste of loss of freedom of religion during the persecution of the churches in California this past year (even now only 25% of total membership are "allowed to gather" in a church building, 6 feet apart and "wearing masks"). The governor also banned all home bible studies of two or more, and praying and singing songs of worship, even outside of a church (I think that "order" is still in effect).

It increased my faith, bible reading and relationship with Jesus Christ 1,000 percent. Thank you governor!
The Washington state gov tried, but many of us are mavericks here. Many of us gave him the left swift kick of fellowship.

You practiced obedience; we practiced freedom to worship G_D together, both of which can be constitutionally acceptable.

T

TheWaytoGo

The Washington state gov tried, but many of us are mavericks here. Many of us gave him the left swift kick of fellowship.

You practiced obedience; we practiced freedom to worship G_D together, both of which can be constitutionally acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, I have no respect for the leadership of all the churches that stay closed (99.99%) after a few weeks, when it became crystal clear what was/is going on. I haven't been able to find a home fellowship in many years; the churches are corrupt.

(The latest local church moved in 4 weeks ago. Excitedly, I went to their website - American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Paypal logos on the welcome page. Oh well...)