Thoughts on my books

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Okay got a new book planned but well more junk about this new rise in occult among the current generation makes me weary. I wouldnt consider the things I make occult but plenty of people here do. Which is why I dont post my art on here anymore because I dont need other things to feel bad about. Simply put I wouldn't want my work to cause stumbling. Than again because its on the rise perhaps a similar concept with a heavy Christian spin would do well. Its kind of a Monster highschool thing (which surprisingly is a larger genre that most think and goes back to Scooby Doo) Any thoughts?

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Perspective counts for so much. I remember hosting a bible study in my house. Some of the members went into my study area, the walls were lined with books. The study leader's wife came out, pointed at me and announced that I had some really warped things in my library. I was mortified. I had no clue what she was talking about. As a medical social worker and former history major, I had all types of subjects. I had a bookcase full of sunday funnies comic books, some really great obscure ones from other cultures. She said it had witches and twisted things on the cover. She took off before I could respond. I went upstairs to look as to what had caused this response. There was one book on top of the pile she pulled out. The books? The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, The Lord of the Rings trilogy(about a decade before everyone claimed to love it) and another one, by a lesser known writer that had two groups opposing each other, the legalists and extreme liberals. The cover was fanciful and the writing was great. It was designed to make you think rather than declare a judgement.
I think my point is that you have to have peace with your own choices. That you would decide not to share something here, so as not to make someone stumble, is noble. It is using discernment. Another forum might be better suited. That doesn't mean that you are on the wrong track. If that is an issue, if you have some doubts about what you are producing, if it causing people to lust by objectifying women, then it is a good thing to review. Maybe you have a great pic that would still be great with some edits. Only you know the truth. As a sci fi geek and your sister in Christ I encourage you to explore your creativity and to be at peace. Hugs, Deb

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Perspective counts for so much. I remember hosting a bible study in my house. Some of the members went into my study area, the walls were lined with books. The study leader's wife came out, pointed at me and announced that I had some really warped things in my library. I was mortified. I had no clue what she was talking about. As a medical social worker and former history major, I had all types of subjects. I had a bookcase full of sunday funnies comic books, some really great obscure ones from other cultures. She said it had witches and twisted things on the cover. She took off before I could respond. I went upstairs to look as to what had caused this response. There was one book on top of the pile she pulled out. The books? The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, The Lord of the Rings trilogy(about a decade before everyone claimed to love it) and another one, by a lesser known writer that had two groups opposing each other, the legalists and extreme liberals. The cover was fanciful and the writing was great. It was designed to make you think rather than declare a judgement.
I think my point is that you have to have peace with your own choices. That you would decide not to share something here, so as not to make someone stumble, is noble. It is using discernment. Another forum might be better suited. That doesn't mean that you are on the wrong track. If that is an issue, if you have some doubts about what you are producing, if it causing people to lust by objectifying women, then it is a good thing to review. Maybe you have a great pic that would still be great with some edits. Only you know the truth. As a sci fi geek and your sister in Christ I encourage you to explore your creativity and to be at peace. Hugs, Deb
Thank you! Much obliged yeah I toned down my artwork a fair amount a few times. (I used to do adult artwork before I was a Christian:/) im afraid a few habits from it where hatd to get rid of.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Thoughts?

It would be hard for us to share any "thoughts" that are very specific regarding a book we haven't seen.

That's just being realistic.

The most we could do is offer some very general advice.
I would recommend that anyone in any kind of business should keep their nose in the bible, so they will be continually led by biblical principles, to the end their work could be something honoring to God.

If we're going to put all our effort into creating a thing, it should be a thing that allows us to hold our head up.

What that means to you... that's for you to sort out with God.

God Bless.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I don't watch tv so I couldn't make much out of the references you mentioned... :(
Secular fiction isn't necessarily ungodly. Tolkien was a devout Christian and left us amazing fiction that I believe no one would call evil.
I guess whatever you make bring it up to God, and be honest in your heart to hear His feedback. That's more important than what we think.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I don't watch tv so I couldn't make much out of the references you mentioned... :(
Secular fiction isn't necessarily ungodly. Tolkien was a devout Christian and left us amazing fiction that I believe no one would call evil.
I guess whatever you make bring it up to God, and be honest in your heart to hear His feedback. That's more important than what we think.
Oh, I have seen many very ultra conservative folk call his and Lewis's work evil. I think no matter what you do with Christian anything if you dont play it super safe (to the point no non Christians would take interest) you'll be hearing from the far right. Unfortunately a work that doesn't work for non Christians seems pointless is the main point is to share the gospel. I hear thats what problems many people have with most Christian movies.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
A main inspiration for my new book is a manga called Rosario+Vampire 20190410_165436_HDR_1024x1024.jpg

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Oh, I have seen many very ultra conservative folk call his and Lewis's work evil. I think no matter what you do with Christian anything if you dont play it super safe (to the point no non Christians would take interest) you'll be hearing from the far right. Unfortunately a work that doesn't work for non Christians seems pointless is the main point is to share the gospel. I hear thats what problems many people have with most Christian movies.
I agree that whatever you do, there will be extra conservative Christians to find issues with it, even if it's nothing bad. I mean I've been criticized for creating praise music that uses instruments also and not "voice alone" (and I mostly use Bible word-by-word for lyrics).
Preachiness causes bad art by default... but good art makes us think.
You can introduce the Gospel in several ways. One way is by building compelling Christian characters.
Another way is causing people to ask the right questions and come to fresh conclusions (Socratic method of maieutic, basically).
Yet another way is by showing the world the mirror, and really represent what they do in a compelling way. Make them pronounce judgment, then understand, like David, that "they are the man".

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I agree that whatever you do, there will be extra conservative Christians to find issues with it, even if it's nothing bad. I mean I've been criticized for creating praise music that uses instruments also and not "voice alone" (and I mostly use Bible word-by-word for lyrics).
Preachiness causes bad art by default... but good art makes us think.
You can introduce the Gospel in several ways. One way is by building compelling Christian characters.
Another way is causing people to ask the right questions and come to fresh conclusions (Socratic method of maieutic, basically).
Yet another way is by showing the world the mirror, and really represent what they do in a compelling way. Make them pronounce judgment, then understand, like David, that "they are the man".
Indeed :)

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Wow you're light years ahead of me art wise...
I want to see a badass Christian vampire hunter now :D
No thats not my art thats the manga my art is based on lol sorry my art is pretty awful lol

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Wow you're light years ahead of me art wise...
I want to see a badass Christian vampire hunter now :D
Well now im going to have to post some new art and make it really good now 😅 I should have been more clear on that now its going to be a let down 🤣 yeah the concept is based a bit on that manga as well as pretty much all the moster eque things to come out in the last 40 years