Three day and nights reckoned as suffering? or dead in the Tomb?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Only a gnostic would ask this question and quibble about death. Soon gnostics change every word to mean something thats only a metaphor for something else, they become AGNOSTIC.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Its not that difficult to understand once the word dead or death is defined in reference to sleep using the scriptures to define the words. Knowing they can hide the spiritual understanding. . God cannot not literally die and never exist as the spirit essence of life. Who would hold all things together by the power of his will.?

What I wonder is how you define dead as in Lazarus, or the Son of man Jesus. Was it a matter of not seeing corruption decay for those days or reincarnation?
I have no difficulty understanding that death refers to the physical body. Your posts were not clear with that distinction. You also confused the idea of corruption (rotting) of the physical body after death with the sinful nature of our physical bodies; that is equivocation and does nothing to enlighten anyone.

Scripture doesn't specify either way whether Lazarus' body experienced "corruption". However, it does state that Jesus' body did not experience corruption. It doesn't specify the mechanism for that preservation.

Reincarnation is a Hindu concept, and has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. The term should not be used in this context, because it only brings confusion. Neither Lazarus nor Jesus were "reincarnated". It's just the wrong word completely.

Mar 28, 2016
I have no difficulty understanding that death refers to the physical body. Your posts were not clear with that distinction. You also confused the idea of corruption (rotting) of the physical body after death with the sinful nature of our physical bodies; that is equivocation and does nothing to enlighten anyone.

Scripture doesn't specify either way whether Lazarus' body experienced "corruption". However, it does state that Jesus' body did not experience corruption. It doesn't specify the mechanism for that preservation.

Reincarnation is a Hindu concept, and has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. The term should not be used in this context, because it only brings confusion. Neither Lazarus nor Jesus were "reincarnated". It's just the wrong word completely.

I think we are still discussing what it means to be dead in so much that Christ died for our sin . What kind of dead? Living dead? Can Christ literally die and lose His Spirit life? Or is Christ the life of the Spirit and the death had to do with the flesh

I am not talking about after death but the process of death, dying.. You could say as soon as we are born the dying or aging begins. Or as son as we are born we goes forth telling lies. Its the work of dead men in whom is no truth . Men are not the embodiment of truth .

A decaying bodies would be one that does age in the process of decaying leading towards returning to the dust from where it was formed . It is why we are informed to remember the Creator in the days of our youth, before death such as death of vision, hearing loss or remembering . Alzheimer's makes it impossible to remember him . The first thing that does occur when our spirit is resurrected and enters our new incorruptible bodies is universal Alzheimer's Once one take his last breath the former things of earth will not be remembered or ever come to mind forever and ever.

Acts 2:30-32 King James Version (KJV)Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
His body was in the tomb, But His soul was preaching condemnation to the spirits in prison, crossed the great gulf and preached victory to thos in Abraham’ Bosom. His soul returned to His body the third day. His body did not see corruption. Remember, a greater than Jonah is here.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I think part of the demonstration of the lamb of God who was slain from before the foundation of the world can be rendered in the Tomb .While another part of the same demonstration on the cross. And the beginning part in the garden. With all three as a witness to the one promised demonstration.
I believe such an interpretation is wrong..

Mar 28, 2016
I like the word, opacity!
I like learning new words. You guys are so smart.

How would you define Christ died for our sins since God literally cannot die .

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I like learning new words. You guys are so smart.

There are some things about God that cannot be understood by our earthly minds, they are a mystery. I think when otherwise intelligent people push too hard to understand certain aspects or attributes of God, they can easily err.

To your question, how can Jesus be fully God and fully man, that He could really die?; well that to me is one of those mysteries. We strain to understand many concepts and “by faith” accept what the Bible teaches, but the mind can not grasp.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I do hope you're merely asking for Sipsey's perspective, rather than to bait and argue with him.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What is the three days and night referring to? Three day of suffering the pangs of hell as a living sacrifice or a dead sacrifice?
Neither. Three days and three nights of PROCLAIMING VICTORY while preaching to the spirits in prison (in Hades not Hell).

The KJV created a serious problem by not simply transliterating Sheol, Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus, using *the grave* and *hell* incorrectly. Christ was in Hades -- the abode of all departed souls and spirits. At His resurrection, He took all the righteous dead (the OT saints) with Him to Heaven, where they are now with the NT saints who have passed on .

Mar 28, 2016
Neither. Three days and three nights of PROCLAIMING VICTORY while preaching to the spirits in prison (in Hades not Hell).

The KJV created a serious problem by not simply transliterating Sheol, Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus, using *the grave* and *hell* incorrectly. Christ was in Hades -- the abode of all departed souls and spirits. At His resurrection, He took all the righteous dead (the OT saints) with Him to Heaven, where they are now with the NT saints who have passed on .

I would agree as a living work His Spirit PROCLAIMING VICTORY.

How would you differentiate the word Hades from the word Hell?

Would Hades be more like the bosom of Abraham which represents the unseen Holy place of God or is that used differently?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would agree as a living work His Spirit PROCLAIMING VICTORY.

Would Hades be more like the bosom of Abraham which represents the unseen Holy place of God or is that used differently?
What leads you to think that "the bosom of Abraham" represents "the unseen Holy place of God"?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When a person dies, the soul and spirit are separated from the body, and the body is placed in the grave. Before the New Testament, SHEOL/HADES was the place in the lower parts of the earth where souls ans spirits went and remained silent. The righteous and the unrighteous were kept in separate sections.

When Christ died (gave up the ghost or spirit) His soul and spirit went to Sheol/Hades for three days and three nights. But that was the limit of His time in that region, where He "preached" to the spirits in prison (presumably all the spirits, righteous, and unrighteous, plus the evil spirits (fallen angels in Tartarus). We are not told exactly what was PROCLAIMED (translated as preached) but it was not the Gospel to give those spirits *a second chance*. It was Christ's proclamation of His victory on the cross over sin, death, Hades, Hell, Satan, and all his evil spirits. When Christ rose from the dead He took the righteous dead (all those in *Abraham's Bosom*) with Him to Heaven (the New Jerusalem). Since then all the saints go directly to Heaven. There is no such thing as Soul Sleep or Purgatory.

*Hell* however should only be applied to Gehenna, the Lake of Fire, created for the devil and his angels, but also the eternal abode of all those who re not written in the Lamb's Book of Life. See Revelation 20. It is presently unoccupied, and will remain so until the Beast (the Antichrist), the False Prophet, and the Devil are cast into it (along with all the evil angels).

Mar 28, 2016
When a person dies, the soul and spirit are separated from the body, and the body is placed in the grave. Before the New Testament, SHEOL/HADES was the place in the lower parts of the earth where souls ans spirits went and remained silent. The righteous and the unrighteous were kept in separate sections.

When Christ died (gave up the ghost or spirit) His soul and spirit went to Sheol/Hades for three days and three nights. But that was the limit of His time in that region, where He "preached" to the spirits in prison (presumably all the spirits, righteous, and unrighteous, plus the evil spirits (fallen angels in Tartarus). We are not told exactly what was PROCLAIMED (translated as preached) but it was not the Gospel to give those spirits *a second chance*. It was Christ's proclamation of His victory on the cross over sin, death, Hades, Hell, Satan, and all his evil spirits. When Christ rose from the dead He took the righteous dead (all those in *Abraham's Bosom*) with Him to Heaven (the New Jerusalem). Since then all the saints go directly to Heaven. There is no such thing as Soul Sleep or Purgatory.

*Hell* however should only be applied to Gehenna, the Lake of Fire, created for the devil and his angels, but also the eternal abode of all those who re not written in the Lamb's Book of Life. See Revelation 20. It is presently unoccupied, and will remain so until the Beast (the Antichrist), the False Prophet, and the Devil are cast into it (along with all the evil angels).
Thanks for that blessing. I would agree.

So then would hell be something we experience when we suffer? And not that our suffering adds to his but we receive the suffering as arrows from the evil one aimed at Christ in us.... our hope of glory

2 Corinthians 1:5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

Colossians 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Catholics teach Christ's affliction fell short of the glory of God and purgatory must be applied .