Three Questions for Calvinists

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Polar

That is so true. Predestination is about God's people being conformed to the image of Christ. Election, is about service and purpose: Even Christ is "elect". Neither doctrine has to do with being "chosen to salvation".

The men who were invited to the supper were invited because the Lord/Master wanted them to come. They chose not to come because of their own free will. So,they ended up with no supper, not because the Lord did not desire them to come, but because THEY did not desire to come. They weren't willing to give up what THEY wanted to do.
Exactly so. The entire purpose of God working in us by His Spirit is to conform us to Christ's image.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I just did a search for the name 'sevenseas' and found a post by an older male who said he had a problem with masturbation.

This is not me. I think I had already left? or maybe it was 7seas? I don't remember.
Is there a reason you are choosing not to say who you were here before?

You really have many of us at a disadvantage, knowing our posts, positions, and possible interactions we’ve had with you.

P

Polar

Is there a reason you are choosing not to say who you were here before?

You really have many of us at a disadvantage, knowing our posts, positions, and possible interactions we’ve had with you.
I am truly sorry I mentioned it all. I have no idea why you think you are at some kind of disadvantage. What on earth is it you think I'm going to do?

Like I said sevenseas but I don't think you can find people who asked to have their profile deleted. I truly do not remember what kind of interactions I have had with most people and I don't think it matters. I try to just take at face value what someone says at any given time and when they become obnoxious I don't bother anymore.

I don't remember having a problem with you though if that is any consolation.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I am truly sorry I mentioned it all. I have no idea why you think you are at some kind of disadvantage. What on earth is it you think I'm going to do?

Like I said sevenseas
I don't remember having a problem with you though if that is any consolation.
"At a disadvantage" is somewhat an antiquated figure of speech.

Well if you are 7seas, or 7seasrekeyed, or another name I can't remember right now, then we've had a number of interactions, mostly agreeable.

P

Polar

"At a disadvantage" is somewhat an antiquated figure of speech.

Well if you are 7seas, or 7seasrekeyed, or another name I can't remember right now, then we've had a number of interactions, mostly agreeable.
Yes. 7seasrekeyed came after the 7seas. I was going for 2.0 but it was taken and I honestly did not remember whether I spelled the 7 or used the digit.

That's who I am/was and had a few others too. But don't ask because any time I left it was because of really bad interactions with people that left me wondering if there was any hope for Christianity...not that I am the best model on earth, but still.

Anyway, I've already had one really bad and ridiculous interaction here since I rejoined (not this thread) and I almost packed it in again, but people tell you who they are and when they do, believe them. (old expression)

Well I'm glad you remembered. :)

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Yes. 7seasrekeyed came after the 7seas. I was going for 2.0 but it was taken and I honestly did not remember whether I spelled the 7 or used the digit.

That's who I am/was and had a few others too. But don't ask because any time I left it was because of really bad interactions with people that left me wondering if there was any hope for Christianity...not that I am the best model on earth, but still.

Anyway, I've already had one really bad and ridiculous interaction here since I rejoined (not this thread) and I almost packed it in again, but people tell you who they are and when they do, believe them. (old expression)

Well I'm glad you remembered. :)
Well I for one, am glad you’re back.

I’ve run the gamut of absolute agreement, to rough tussling, with many here. When the smoke clears, I recognize most of them for who they truly are. My brother or sister in Christ.

Until we tussle again! Lol. Then rinse and repeat.

P

Polar

Well I for one, am glad you’re back.

I’ve run the gamut of absolute agreement, to rough tussling, with many here. When the smoke clears, I recognize most of them for who they truly are. My brother or sister in Christ.

Until we tussle again! Lol. Then rinse and repeat.
Thanks!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Because, according to "TULIP" theology, If God (metaphorically the master in the parable) had wanted them to come, from the beginning, they would have been "unconditionally elected" and could not have refused because of "irresistable grace".
Ok, now I see (I think), Perhaps the Master of the Feast did not ordain the first group to come but had 'elected' the 2nd group

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
I am a Christian who is known as a Calvinist because I believe the the teaching of scripture.
This portion of Luke is about Israel refusing Jesus except for an elect remnant.So those who are compelled to come on are the gentiles.Mt21:43.
I read 3 pages, no one answered the question.
No one knows or has defined what a Calvinist is.
Many accusations but no substance.
[email protected]. deals with with this in detail.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
That is so true. Predestination is about God's people being conformed to the image of Christ. Election, is about service and purpose: Even Christ is "elect". Neither doctrine has to do with being "chosen to salvation"..
2 thess.2:13
We are bound to give thanks away to God for you brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning Chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.
Here it is clearly taught that we are indeed chosen, elected by God to salvation which for some reason you suggest does not take place?
Oh I dunno. I've taken quite a few swipes at it but I don't expect you would read all my posts.

Actually, I'm not alone in that pursuit.

Tell us about it. ;)
As time permits I will work back and consider what you have offered on this.
I will offer some help if I can.
I have been working on a board trying to make it interactive, question and answer kind of format designed to offer scripturally edifying and positive post, link, concessions, sermons both audio and written.
Then I intend to make a thread dealing with objections.it is an uncensored board, although nursing and blasphemy ate not welcome, your ideas are.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
We are bound to give thanks away to God for you brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from
the beginning Chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.

2 Thessalonians 2:13-14, 16-17
:)

P

Polar

We are bound to give thanks away to God for you brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning Chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.
Here it is clearly taught that we are indeed chosen, elected by God to salvation which for some reason you suggest does not take place?

As time permits I will work back and consider what you have offered on this.
I will offer some help if I can.
I have been working on a board trying to make it interactive, question and answer kind of format designed to offer scripturally edifying and positive post, link, concessions, sermons both audio and written.
Then I intend to make a thread dealing with objections.it is an uncensored board, although nursing and blasphemy ate not welcome, your ideas are.
I see you have been here since 2017. I mention that because a couple of years back, there were a number of threads dealing with Calvinism and some were quite lengthy and detailed, so there was plenty of discussion, both pro and con. Yet you missed those it seems?

You don't have to consider what I have 'offered'; you are under no obligation. I just found it kind of odd you would say

That statement is not accurate. You offer one verse in the above post I have replied to and try to make a definitive statement about it. No, Calvinism is not at all clearly taught as you believe and whatever plans you have made for yourself for study, you should be aware it has been done by experts and theologians far more learned than you or I.

I imagine you will be specifically looking for whatever you can find to bolster your beliefs. Knock yourself out.

Thanks, I am not looking for help on the subject and will not be visiting your board. :)

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
I see you have been here since 2017. I mention that because a couple of years back, there were a number of threads dealing with Calvinism and some were quite lengthy and detailed, so there was plenty of discussion, both pro and con. Yet you missed those it seems?

You don't have to consider what I have 'offered'; you are under no obligation. I just found it kind of odd you would say

That statement is not accurate. You offer one verse in the above post I have replied to and try to make a definitive statement about it. No, Calvinism is not at all clearly taught as you believe and whatever plans you have made for yourself for study, you should be aware it has been done by experts and theologians far more learned than you or I.

I imagine you will be specifically looking for whatever you can find to bolster your beliefs. Knock yourself out.

Thanks, I am not looking for help on the subject and will not be visiting your board. :)
Thanks for your response.
I do not always get to get online and have been on 7 or 8 boards over the years.
i show up and if the discussions look biblical I get involved.
Calvinism is clearly taught if you read Calvinists doing the teaching.
For example John Murray on Redemption, Accomplished and Applied is rock solid.
No one on this board is going to undo the teaching presented in that small book.Sinclair Ferguson has a nice paperback that is rock solid, called Know your Chrisitian life.

"whosoever will" may come to the new board....my friends tell me most will not, because they are not used to teaching that links scripture after scripture.
Most on message boards are happy with one or two sentence replies.
They desire often to fight against a caricature or strawman.
for example, this thread was addressed to Calvinists, but non Cals jumped in attacking what they do not understand.
So far I have entered some solid links and sermons for any who want to learn. The lazy will be ignorant till they die.

P

Polar

Thanks for your response.
I do not always get to get online and have been on 7 or 8 boards over the years.
i show up and if the discussions look biblical I get involved.
For example John Murray on Redemption, Accomplished and Applied is rock solid.
No one on this board is going to undo the teaching presented in that small book.Sinclair Ferguson has a nice paperback that is rock solid, called Know your Chrisitian life.

"whosoever will" may come to the new board....my friends tell me most will not, because they are not used to teaching that links scripture after scripture.
Most on message boards are happy with one or two sentence replies.
They desire often to fight against a caricature or strawman.
for example, this thread was addressed to Calvinists, but non Cals jumped in attacking what they do not understand.
So far I have entered some solid links and sermons for any who want to learn. The lazy will be ignorant till they die.
I have and I currently am doing so. Kindly move along from me. I am not interested in your indoctrination and consider your comment on the op I started to be typical of the type of engagement Calvinists employ.

That sounds threatening. No one in your opinion and blah de blah de blabbity blah blah

The lazy will be ignorant till they die.[
Ah yes. I would have been disappointed if you, a hyper-Calvinist, had missed an opportunity to be brazenly insulting. Christian much?

Whosoever will means simply that.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
I have and I currently am doing so. Kindly move along from me. I am not interested in your indoctrination and consider your comment on the op I started to be typical of the type of engagement Calvinists employ.

That sounds threatening. No one in your opinion and blah de blah de blabbity blah blah

Ah yes. I would have been disappointed if you, a hyper-Calvinist, had missed an opportunity to be brazenly insulting. Christian much?

Whosoever will means simply that.
This is the typical cop out from those who cannot deal with truth presented. Attack me personally, call names, and run away and hide...if thats what you want, remain ignorant my friend, you will not be the first or last to do so. The books I offered will answer anything you have.

P

Polar

This is the typical cop out from those who cannot deal with truth presented. Attack me personally, call names, and run away and hide...if thats what you want, remain ignorant my friend, you will not be the first or last to do so. The books I offered will answer anything you have.
Insults insults typical insults from those who follow TULIP. And false claims about attacks and other nonsense.

I am more interested in keeping the bird bath in my backyard clean. See yah. Or not.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
Insults insults typical insults from those who follow TULIP. And false claims about attacks and other nonsense.

I am more interested in keeping the bird bath in my backyard clean. See yah. Or not.
I do not run and hide. You said I had not read your posts .I listened to you and are reading.
Looks like you do not bring much to the table. That does not make you a bad person.
Cleaning the bird bath is what you can do, do it with all your strength.:cautious:

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
The fact that you do not separate what you have to say from scripture verse quotes tells me something about you...

I would not dare to jam what I have to say right up into the end of a quoted scripture verse/passage - so that people, while reading the verse/passage, run right into [anything that is] non-scripture - without a clear separation between scripture and non-scripture.

To me - it is "a given" - out of respect for the Word of God.

If I post quoted scripture, you can expect to see a clear separation between it and anything before it and/or after it.

I don't just "throw it down" like words from a bucket - it is neat and orderly - and, easy to read.

Sometimes, it is necessary to do highlighting, etc. while making a discussion - but, I try to do so with respect - keeping it neat and orderly - and, easy to read.

I do this in part simply out of respect for the Word of God.

(The other part being, I try to write whatever I post in a way that is easy to read.)

The "special treatment" that I give to putting scripture quotes in my posts is no accident.

It "just kills me" to see others on here "throwing down" scripture quotes like any 'ole trashy set of words...

It always tells me something about their personality and character - and, how much they really do or don't respect the Word of God.

These are very special words, and should be given special treatment.

And, in my thinking, anyone who truly respects the Word of God is going to treat it with care - better than any other words in the post.

Anyone who mixes it with non-scripture in a messy/sloppy way - does not truly respect it. (AFAIAC)

Anyone who does what you did in the quote above - I just cannot bring myself to think of them very highly - with regard to their 'spiritual' attitude.

If a person is not willing to make the effort to show special regard and respect to the Word of God when they post - I just don't see why I should pay any attention to what they have to say [about spiritual things].

Why should anyone listen to you when you clearly show that you don't respect the Word of God enough to give it "top billing" in your posts?

That is the kind of questions I think of when I see "crappy" treatment of the Word of God in a post.

Simply because of the sloppy way you present the Word of God, I really have no interest in what you have to say.

I do not (with certain rare exceptions) post scripture without including book, chapter, and verse(s) in a neat and orderly fashion - and, always spell out the full name of the book:

2 Thessalonians 2:

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Please note that 'belief of the truth' is not something that God does - it is done by the one who decides to believe the truth - through their own free will.

The "choosing" that God does is based on His foreknowlege of who accepts Him - through their own free will.

Romans 8:

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

He did not simply decide who would be saved and who would be lost.