Tithing

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hillbilly

Banned
Mar 7, 2018
50
3
0
Thirty odd years ago when I was a new Christian I heard a man in Church talking to another man about why he believed he didn't have to pay tithes. My first thought was, then how does the the church he's worshipping in pay the running costs. Thus started my first bible study where I saw that Abraham met Melchisedec and tithed and in Hebrews chapter seven it was spoken about again. Then I saw in Acts that the Church sold all they had and divided it evenly so no one went without.The next Sunday I mentioned this to the man and he angrily said well I could do that. I tried not to laugh as I thought if you are trying to find biblical reasons not to give ten per cent you really think I believe you would give one hundred percent. Later in my walk I revisited Abraham and Melchisedec and saw that Melchisedec first shared bread and wine with Abraham and was blown away at the correlations with the passages to us and the Church and to Christ. Being as how I am redeemed at a price from the law of sin and death. Bought at a price I consider my life and all I have as belonging to and for the service of God. Knowing now about the persecuted Church and the relevance of giving I have no problem giving out of any abundance God gives me as it came from Him. I would hate to be in the position of the rich man of the day of judgment. I really don't think the excuses people make to each other will convince God. Ananias and Sapphira found out lying to God isn't such a good idea.