To fast or not to fast

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Earlier this year, the Lord graciously allowed me to fast and pray for longer than i thought i could:).

Fasting is not a popular topic, nor activity among Christians, if i may say so. It really seems more fun to talk, sing, play, study, serve, even work our jobs.. but the point is we can fast and do most other things that we do. And i'm not starting this thread to announce (to the world) that i am going to fast.. In fact, it's an invite-- and an encouragement to others who are considering doing it more for the Lord, for discernment, showing remorse/repentance.. for whatever purpose the Lord is leading us to. Perhaps more a request for prayer as well, that we can join together more in something the Lord taught we should do (like the Lord's supper), that we can do it in spite of taunts from the enemy that no one else does that now, sister!

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Prayer and fasting is the (scriptural) way to get victory over the flesh (world and Devil), and it's the way Our Lord did it. Psalm 69v10,11, Matt 17v21, 1John 2v13-17, Heb 2v17,18, 4v15.

Notice it says "fasting and prayer" not fasting and "working." Mark 9v29, 1Cor 7v5.

Also, the 21 day semi-fast that Daniel did is very beneficial. Dan 10v1-3.

Feb 28, 2016
fasting is a wonderful way to deny the flesh and draw closer to God -
if the heart is willing His Spirit will sustain and lead....

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Prayer and fasting is the (scriptural) way to get victory over the flesh (world and Devil), and it's the way Our Lord did it. Psalm 69v10,11, Matt 17v21, 1John 2v13-17, Heb 2v17,18, 4v15.

Notice it says "fasting and prayer" not fasting and "working." Mark 9v29, 1Cor 7v5.

Also, the 21 day semi-fast that Daniel did is very beneficial. Dan 10v1-3.
Thank you. I did not really grow as a Christian fasting, and tho i've always been a moderate eater, not been practicing fasting for a long time. That's why when i realized how good it is... wish more people prayerfully consider doing it, as you said our Lord did.

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
Not criticizing, but are we suppose to even tell others when we fast? Or why we are fasting? Not sure how that works. Scripture seems to tell us to not advertise we are fasting. I have heard of Preachers calling on their congregations to fast, but it just seems not quite in keeping with Scripture to me.

This is one area where I truly do not know enough about Scriptures teachings to make a certain decision one way or the other. Now, fasting itself, I understand, but making it public, or doing it in unison with others/a congregation, I am not sure of.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
That you for the comments, Step. Yes, it Is hard to talk abt fasting, specially in a large forum like this. I do know we should not be displaying to others that we're fasting, so our reward goes beyond what others see and think of us. And that's why tho i do not post that much and long, often having no more than a few mins., i try to read the post abt 3x when i can to feel if it comes out right... or Lord, would i rather not post at all.. Sometimes i'd rather write in the Ladies forum, but thot to hear men's comments too, hence the decision to post here.

Idk how my first line appeared, but in fact i was happy that the Lord allowed to be able to do that, and did not want anyone to think there was any hint of boasting in it. As i said it is hard to discuss fasting, for even when we mention that we did or are doing it, someone thinks of our motives. So i guess not many discussions abt something our Lord taught and really want us to practice, whether alone or as a congregation. There was a call among the Hebrews to fast in Esther's time, to humble before God, ask for deliverance, seek God's guidance, when grieving, among others. But Nehemiah fasted and prayed by himself?

If the tone doesnt sound like being joyous and also an invite to others, then i apologize. But i knew no other way to express some thoughts on fasting to encourage others to do it=).