To my fellow 20-something year olds

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 1, 2017
Answering one thread here can hardly be classified as hanging out.
You have made such a big deal out of it, though.
Oh by all means keep hanging out with us. Maybe we make you feel young again? Like I said, I think it's funny.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
That's for the teens CHAT ROOM, not the teens FORUM. :)

Lol not protesting, I just find it funny.

I guess the rules say you're not suppose to be where you don't belong, but meh I don't think anyone here follows those anyways, so have at it.

Feb 1, 2017
That's for the teens CHAT ROOM, not the teens FORUM. :)
Well ain't that just an example under the principle of the rule titled don't hang out where you don't belong?

It's okay though, no one is following the rules, they are arbitrarily applied it seems.

Also greetings fellow 20-something year old!

U

Ugly

Lol not protesting, I just find it funny.

I guess the rules say you're not suppose to be where you don't belong, but meh I don't think anyone here follows those anyways, so have at it.
Actually that rule is for the chat rooms, not the forums.
Robo, himself, has stated people are free to post in any forum they wish, even if they don't fit the criteria, with the women's forum being the sole exception. Otherwise teens under 18 could not post in Singles, but they do. Same with married people posting there. The forum titles are guidelines for the kinds of topics and/or people to be focused on. If it were that important to keep people out that didn't meet the criteria Robo could fix that, but he chooses not to. In fact, a few years ago Robo was going to block anyone under 18 and married from the Singles forums (due to some events at that time) and the Singles regulars complained and Robo changed his mind and left it open.
Try again.

Feb 1, 2017
Actually that rule is for the chat rooms, not the forums.
Robo, himself, has stated people are free to post in any forum they wish, even if they don't fit the criteria, with the women's forum being the sole exception. Otherwise teens under 18 could not post in Singles, but they do. Same with married people posting there. The forum titles are guidelines for the kinds of topics and/or people to be focused on. If it were that important to keep people out that didn't meet the criteria Robo could fix that, but he chooses not to. In fact, a few years ago Robo was going to block anyone under 18 and married from the Singles forums (due to some events at that time) and the Singles regulars complained and Robo changed his mind and left it open.
Try again.
Oh okay so it is selectively applied, gotcha.

Also greetings fellow 20-something year old.

Snarachel

Mar 23, 2015
Well for me personally I was excited turning 20. Though it didn't "hit" me hard I did reflect on life and how i couldve lead old friends to the lord that i lost touch with. Tbh I was very worldly before my 20's.
Reflecting is a good way to put it. Thats what it seems to be a lot of. Good times, bad times, triumphs and regrets. I guess the regrets are just registering a little heavier.

Feb 1, 2017
Reflecting is a good way to put it. Thats what it seems to be a lot of. Good times, bad times, triumphs and regrets. I guess the regrets are just registering a little heavier.
The best way to conquer regret I have found is to learn from it. Just do not make the same mistakes which will engender regret again when you turn 21, 22, 23, 24, etc.

Aug 16, 2016
When you confess to the Lord about your regrets it helps alot & it shows him you truly do care about the decisions you made in your life.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
I just had a birthday a few days ago. The big 20. For some reason its really hitting me hard. I grew up and matured younger than most other kids due to circumstance and I never got a chance to just slow down. The real "adulting" is here now and its a little overwhelming. Did anyone else have these thoughts upon turning 20? Or still do?
I am in my early 20s, and I love it.
There's always an apprehension surrounding the idea of getting old so enjoy this time because this is the age where everyone wants to be as old as you! :)

"Adulting" only begins when you start taking responsibilities and take the challenges you face head on -It will be fun! Growing is exciting!

And on a side note and personal opinion, I think one of your greatest assets and strength will be the people you surround yourself with. Choose your network wisely and this is the time that you will start to find who "the core" people in your life are. Don't take on life on your own ^_^.

Last edited:

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I just had a birthday a few days ago. The big 20. For some reason its really hitting me hard. I grew up and matured younger than most other kids due to circumstance and I never got a chance to just slow down. The real "adulting" is here now and its a little overwhelming. Did anyone else have these thoughts upon turning 20? Or still do?
Still do. I have realized that growing older only helps me see the importance to fully follow God everyday. As we grow we become more responsible for many different things. And with this responsibility people are watching how we handle things and for us it's a way to show people God in us.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Well for me personally I was excited turning 20. Though it didn't "hit" me hard I did reflect on life and how i couldve lead old friends to the lord that i lost touch with. Tbh I was very worldly before my 20's.

I honestly believe not many young kids understand what it really means to follow Jesus. A lot church's do not teach that following Jesus will cost something sometimes everything. It may make you the odd one, or no fun one, It may get you picked on, it may bring all sorts of persecutions.

As kid who grew up in and out of church's I knew who Jesus was and that he loved me. But I never questioned if I was a follower or a fan of Jesus. It wasn't until my late teenage years I started to struggle with panic and anxiety attacks that really demolished my world. I was out of control with my mind and it was winning. My anxiety has sadly controlled many of my life choices. Sometimes I feel at prison in my mind. I think too much and over think every situation.

Jesus has helped me come a long way. But this is one thing about age, we learn, we grow, and we become more knowledgeable to the things unseen as God guides his people.

Feb 1, 2017
I honestly believe not many young kids understand what it really means to follow Jesus. A lot church's do not teach that following Jesus will cost something sometimes everything. It may make you the odd one, or no fun one, It may get you picked on, it may bring all sorts of persecutions.

As kid who grew up in and out of church's I knew who Jesus was and that he loved me. But I never questioned if I was a follower or a fan of Jesus. It wasn't until my late teenage years I started to struggle with panic and anxiety attacks that really demolished my world. I was out of control with my mind and it was winning. My anxiety has sadly controlled many of my life choices. Sometimes I feel at prison in my mind. I think too much and over think every situation.

Jesus has helped me come a long way. But this is one thing about age, we learn, we grow, and we become more knowledgeable to the things unseen as God guides his people.
You know this makes me think I see a lot of anxiety and panic problems with our generation. It is very sad. You all shouldn't be having anxiety, you all should be reassured my brethren that you are very special and seen as very mighty and powerful. Take that as truth from me, one of the lowliest of our generation.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
You know this makes me think I see a lot of anxiety and panic problems with our generation. It is very sad. You all shouldn't be having anxiety, you all should be reassured my brethren that you are very special and seen as very mighty and powerful. Take that as truth from me, one of the lowliest of our generation.
From therapy I have discovered to had shown signs of having a problem dealing with stress and certain things from a very young age. I remember as a young kid my mom told me rust could cause my jaw to lock up. Soon after that anytime I came into contact with rust I remember freaking out on the inside and was afraid to swallow thinking I would ingest it somehow. I began to hold my breath.

Thankfully my willingness to hide it and not look crazy I overcame that fear.

I had other cases looking back and my parents missed all the signs. So when I got older and faced real out of control issues I started having panic attacks

People who don't deal with this stuff just says tough it up. But don't realize we tough this stuff out by working through it not ignoring it.

Many times I create symptoms of problems just by accidentally thinking about it and then that makes my mind freak out creating more problems.

Sounds crazy but so far I have controlled my anxiety naturally and experience a full blown uncontrolled panic attack maybe once a year. The others I calm my self down. But it always follows me as if waiting to attack.

Feb 1, 2017
From therapy I have discovered to had shown signs of having a problem dealing with stress and certain things from a very young age. I remember as a young kid my mom told me rust could cause my jaw to lock up. Soon after that anytime I came into contact with rust I remember freaking out on the inside and was afraid to swallow thinking I would ingest it somehow. I began to hold my breath.

Thankfully my willingness to hide it and not look crazy I overcame that fear.

I had other cases looking back and my parents missed all the signs. So when I got older and faced real out of control issues I started having panic attacks

People who don't deal with this stuff just says tough it up. But don't realize we tough this stuff out by working through it not ignoring it.

Many times I create symptoms of problems just by accidentally thinking about it and then that makes my mind freak out creating more problems.

Sounds crazy but so far I have controlled my anxiety naturally and experience a full blown uncontrolled panic attack maybe once a year. The others I calm my self down. But it always follows me as if waiting to attack.
Yes it is very common of our generation to have anxiety, social anxiety or otherwise as in your instances. It's strange similarity shared by much of our generational brethren. I cannot really say I relate. I always found it strange really because I am so small and ugly for our generation and yet all the mighty men and popular people and well off kids and good looking people they all got this major anxiety issue over so much stuff. Makes me think of when I was younger me and some friends were going to go into the woods because they are scary and my two friends, big guys, athletes, were cowering behind me going in first. It had to have looked comical this lil wiry kid with no fear leading two big guys behind him. And wouldn't you know it at the slightest twig snapping they both bolted and ran lol.

I wonder sometimes if it has to do with parenting or if it has to do with just the way society is, or perhaps both.

Last edited:
U

Ugly

Oh okay so it is selectively applied, gotcha.

Also greetings fellow 20-something year old.
How did I know you'd be sarcastic, condescending and hold to your ignorant views? Oh. Because that's your M.O. in every situation.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Yes it is very common of our generation to have anxiety, social anxiety or otherwise as in your instances. It's strange similarity shared by much of our generational brethren. I cannot really say I relate. I always found it strange really because I am so small and ugly for our generation and yet all the mighty men and popular people and well off kids and good looking people they all got this major anxiety issue over so much stuff. Makes me think of when I was younger me and some friends were going to go into the woods because they are scary and my two friends, big guys, athletes, were cowering behind me going in first. It had to have looked comical this lil wiry kid with no fear leading two big guys behind him. And wouldn't you know it at the slightest twig snapping they both bolted and ran lol.

I wonder sometimes if it has to do with parenting or if it has to do with just the way society is, or perhaps both.
Many different factors and can be a combination of factors. Your brain can have a chemical imbalance, a traumatic event can cause kids to repress feelings and the memories, I have heard of certain drugs causing anxiety and panic even once they stop taking them, biology and the genetics, even though I had a great childhood and was not pulled into this technology fast paced world until I gravitated to a smartphone after high school. In saying that the generations to come will struggle with many anxiety disorders just from not interacting face to face as much as generations 1990s and older. Also your atmosphere or where you grew up has a role in it also. The environment your in can play a huge role. If your stressed a lot and constantly listen to the news then you will be depressed and anxious about the world. And people are different some minds really think deeply and some don't care to exercise their mind. Sometimes the more you know also means the more you know about what's wrong in the world.

Feb 1, 2017
Many different factors and can be a combination of factors. Your brain can have a chemical imbalance, a traumatic event can cause kids to repress feelings and the memories, I have heard of certain drugs causing anxiety and panic even once they stop taking them, biology and the genetics, even though I had a great childhood and was not pulled into this technology fast paced world until I gravitated to a smartphone after high school. In saying that the generations to come will struggle with many anxiety disorders just from not interacting face to face as much as generations 1990s and older. Also your atmosphere or where you grew up has a role in it also. The environment your in can play a huge role. If your stressed a lot and constantly listen to the news then you will be depressed and anxious about the world. And people are different some minds really think deeply and some don't care to exercise their mind. Sometimes the more you know also means the more you know about what's wrong in the world.
Actually the technology aspect is pretty interesting, I hadn't really thought too far into that before. I think you are on to something though with that. That actually makes some sense since as a kid I didn't get the technology stuff, the cell phones, and internet and all that until later in life unlike most my peers that did have anxiety type issues.

It makes me think of something I was telling someone the other day about the difference between my rich friends and my poor friends when in a group. With my rich friends when they'd be in a group conversation start out with what they had recently bought or what movies they seen recently, but then after like 20-30 minutes the whole group descend into awkward silence followed by everyone going off into their own little screen worlds on their phones. With my poor friends though in a group we'd never run out of conversation, we'd talk about anything from simple town gossip to high politics, religion, news of the day, conspiracy theories, whatever really nothing was off limits and there was absolutely no filter. We'd always find little stuff to keep us amused whether it be rap battling, playing some basketball, fishing, or even board games lol.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Actually the technology aspect is pretty interesting, I hadn't really thought too far into that before. I think you are on to something though with that. That actually makes some sense since as a kid I didn't get the technology stuff, the cell phones, and internet and all that until later in life unlike most my peers that did have anxiety type issues.

It makes me think of something I was telling someone the other day about the difference between my rich friends and my poor friends when in a group. With my rich friends when they'd be in a group conversation start out with what they had recently bought or what movies they seen recently, but then after like 20-30 minutes the whole group descend into awkward silence followed by everyone going off into their own little screen worlds on their phones. With my poor friends though in a group we'd never run out of conversation, we'd talk about anything from simple town gossip to high politics, religion, news of the day, conspiracy theories, whatever really nothing was off limits and there was absolutely no filter. We'd always find little stuff to keep us amused whether it be rap battling, playing some basketball, fishing, or even board games lol.
And this is why the poor are blessed in the eyes of God because when your poor you depend on God to live another day. Everyday is considered a blessing and it's easier to hear and see God without all of the distractions.

This is why Jesus went off away to pray and spend alone time with God in the heart of his creation somewhere outdoors.

Feb 1, 2017
And this is why the poor are blessed in the eyes of God because when your poor you depend on God to live another day. Everyday is considered a blessing and it's easier to hear and see God without all of the distractions.

This is why Jesus went off away to pray and spend alone time with God in the heart of his creation somewhere outdoors.
Yea I think you have a good point there. Not every day is a blessing to the poor though, in fact most poor people are very aware of how the world is against them almost every single day. It really does make one sort of calloused against the world. I do agree though poor people tend to have way more faith than rich people, indeed when you're living on prayers you tend to see a lot more miracles.

There's a certain trap though too for the poor, they tend to be way more superstitious than the rich and they tend to have very complex false beliefs about luck both of which engender anxiety. Lol makes me think of another friend and when we'd be walking around town he is very superstitious about what he calls "splitting a pole" basically meaning one of us walks on one side of a telephone pole and the other on another side, which he thinks brings bad luck. If I ignore his superstition and split a pole he will become super anxious. And then of course there is that annoying knock on wood superstition. I have had friends get very anxious or upset with me for not knocking on wood. To the converse I commend my rich friends somewhat, they are not so bogged down by superstition. I guess there's just pros and cons to both lifestyles, different stuff that seems to cause anxiety in both.

jrccomputer

Sep 25, 2013
Upon turn 20, I felt completely unequipped to handle life. I thought I would never make it, and I was worried about everything from Money, Jobs and even my faith. As I have gotten older, I have taken a lot of things from the past and learned from them. We will never be perfect and at times life can be incredible overwhelming, even the complete opposite at times.

Life is a crazy, yet extraordinary journey. Staying faithful and praying for wisdom is what I attribute to my success. All things truly are possible through Christ. When things seem impossible remember you already know the outcome. As of you had recorded a football game, such as the super bowl. Surely you already know who one, but when watching the game back it's not as scary because you ultimately know the outcome. Faith and life through Christ is the same, though we may have fear or doubt always remember you know the outcome. God always shows favor on you. Hold strong in faith, and never give up