TONGUES false teaching.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Major

Dec 12, 2020
If you have attended as many Pentecostal church meetings as I have you will agree that what is seen in all of them is the habit of "SPEAKING" in Tongues.

It is a method of speaking in such a way that no one understands what is said.
No one interprets what is muttered.
Women it seems are the ones who do most of the "Tongues" noises.

Now, allow me to say that I have been there and done that. However as I grew older and actually READ what the Bible says it becmae very clear that what is seen today is NOT BIBLICAL tongues as recorded in the Bible.

So then, instead of just accepting what we have been told or doing what we WANT to do, shall we actually see what the Bible does it fact say??????

Acts 2:7-11............
"And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God."

Notice the phrase in Acts 2:11, "our tongues." The crowds heard the Apostles preach in their own native tongues, not some unknown heavenly jibber jabber. There was NEVER any heavenly languages spoken that no one understood and required an interpreter.

There is a drastic difference between Biblical tongues and the heretical speaking in tongues we see in churches today.

The "speaking in tongues" which the Pentecostals foolishly practice are UNKNOWN tongues, not anything found on earth. Supposedly, those unknown tongues can only be interpreted by ONE spirit-filled member of the congregation.

The Apostle Paul speaks common sense to us Corinthians 14:19...
"Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."

Now before replying to this post from an "Emotional" response, and actually that is what speaking in tongues is, an EMOTIONAL event, take the time to do the work first.

Read 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14. Anyone can see that they are "Corrective" Chapters from Paul to the church and the CONTEXT is .....ready.....
Speaking in tongues".

Now that being the correct hermeneutical point then notice carefully chapter 14:34........
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. "

Literally....the CONTEXT demands that "women are not permitted to speak in TONGUES in church".

Without women speaking in tongues there is then in fact no tongues movement at all.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
If you have attended as many Pentecostal church meetings as I have you will agree that what is seen in all of them is the habit of "SPEAKING" in Tongues.

Now, allow me to say that I have been there and done that. However as I grew older and actually READ what the Bible says it becmae very clear that what is seen today is NOT BIBLICAL tongues as recorded in the Bible.

So then, instead of just accepting what we have been told or doing what we WANT to do, shall we actually see what the Bible does it fact say??????

"And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God."

Notice the phrase in Acts 2:11, "our tongues." The crowds heard the Apostles preach in their own native tongues, not some unknown heavenly jibber jabber. There was NEVER any heavenly languages spoken that no one understood and required an interpreter.

There is a drastic difference between Biblical tongues and the heretical speaking in tongues we see in churches today.

The "speaking in tongues" which the Pentecostals foolishly practice are UNKNOWN tongues, not anything found on earth. Supposedly, those unknown tongues can only be interpreted by ONE spirit-filled member of the congregation.

"Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."

Now before replying to this post from an "Emotional" response, and actually that is what speaking in tongues is, an EMOTIONAL event, take the time to do the work first.

Read 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14. Anyone can see that they are "Corrective" Chapters from Paul to the church and the CONTEXT is .....ready.....
Speaking in tongues".

Now that being the correct hermeneutical point then notice carefully chapter 14:34........
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. "

Literally....the CONTEXT demands that "women are not permitted to speak in TONGUES in church".

Without women speaking in tongues there is then in fact no tongues movement at all.

One thing I know,43 years ago in my prayer, I asked for the gift of speaking in other tongues and it was given, the same today as it was then

Many claim the gift of tongues dosent exist today?

Telling me that, is like telling the blind man that was healed by Jesus, that he really couldn't see, Smiles (y)

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Speaking in tongues".

it must be different for you, because, my experience is that it's not a regular practice. However, the pastor will speak when prompted. Are you a bit disgruntled ?

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
it must be different for you, because, my experience is that it's not a regular practice. However, the pastor will speak when prompted. Are you a bit disgruntled ?
Looks like Satan at work trying to twist another truth in God's word. I love exposing his lies when he attacks me I know I'm doing good.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
m
One thing I know,43 years ago in my prayer, I asked for the gift of speaking in other tongues and it was given, the same today as it was then

Many claim the gift of tongues dosent exist today?

Telling me that, is like telling the blind man that was healed by Jesus, that he really couldn't see, Smiles (y)
my mom would do it hours on end now that I know the Lord I think she might have been deceived and brainwashed by church could be satan's trick to make Christians look foolish.

T

TheIndianGirl

I have friends who speak in tongues. They said it "kind of" sounds like Japanese or Arabic, so it seems the tongues languages they are speaking are not identifiable languages. My thoughts are complicated on this. I believe tongues speaking can be sincere (since it is stated in the Bible), but I think it is also possible that many people speaking tongues are not speaking the "real" tongues. For example, if lackluster Christians speak tongues, doesn't seem sincere to me and seems like they would not receive this gift. Real spiritual sounding people can speak tongues, but they could be frauds too.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
I have friends who speak in tongues. They said it "kind of" sounds like Japanese or Arabic, so it seems the tongues languages they are speaking are not identifiable languages. My thoughts are complicated on this. I believe tongues speaking can be sincere (since it is stated in the Bible), but I think it is also possible that many people speaking tongues are not speaking the "real" tongues.
I've never felt the urge maybe my faith isn't as abundant as my moms.

T

TheIndianGirl

I've never felt the urge maybe my faith isn't as abundant as my moms.
I sometimes wonder if I "let myself go" maybe I could speak tongues, but I can be a shy person so I don't know if that's stopping me from speaking tongues.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
m
my mom would do it hours on end now that I know the Lord I think she might have been deceived and brainwashed by church could be satan's trick to make Christians look foolish.
I fully agree the gift is misused

I have been to apostolic churches, men/women rolling around in the isles, jumping up and down, slapping people in the head, screaming?

God is not the author of confusion, I use the gift in my prayer life (y)

Romans 8:27-28KJV
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

1 Corinthians 14:33-35KJV
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
I sometimes wonder if I "let myself go" maybe I could speak tongues, but I can be a shy person so I don't know if that's stopping me from speaking tongues.
I wouldn't try and force it because others are doing it the Spirit will guide you.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
The gift is "Spiritual", is your heart and desire to further the kingdom?

Ask, seek, out of a pure, repentant heart, (y)

Matthew 7:7-8KJV
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

1 Corinthians 14:-5KJV
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
The gift is "Spiritual", is your heart and desire to further the kingdom?

Ask, seek, out of a pure, repentant heart, (y)

Matthew 7:7-8KJV
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

1 Corinthians 14:-5KJV
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
So your saying my mom was right I always wondered.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.

Speaking in tongues".

You are of course partially correct and I'm a witness. However in using the word all you are quite mistaken. Yes there phonies and cases of group psychosis. Unstable people reacting in way subconsciously to gain favor, acceptance etc. But we are not all that way .

Many Charismatics that I know don't speak in tongues or teach that we must. Some of those that can and do speak in tongues don't take the doctrinal stance that it necessary in order to prove we, they or you are saved. Every fellowship is different, Some unfortunately teach that Jesus died to free us from the laws of sin and death then turn back around with a new convoluted set of rules that are based on flimsy, out of context scriptures. So judge not lest ye be judged, and by the same measure.

The only time the Lord mentioned Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit was when they tried to credit his miracles to Beelzebub aka: The Lord of the flies.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
m. Or
Or it could be real or it could be psychotic or some other undiagnosed brain malfunction or you could be wrong. How can you give Satan more credit than the Holy Spirit? Do you not think that anything Satan can do God can do better? What happened to the snakes that Pharaoh's magicians conjured up?

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
So your saying my mom was right I always wondered.
The Gift Of Speaking In Tongues Is Real, Given By The Spirit Of God, For Prayer And Prophecy In The Church, To Be Interpreted If Spoken?

In All My Years As A Believer, I Have Yet To See The Gift In Operation Within The Church, As Is Biblically Explained

People Running About In Churches, Rolling In The Isles, Jumping Around Speaking In Tongues?

"Confusion" In All My Observations

The Baptist Don't Believe The Gifts Are Alive Today, They Teach They Died With The Apostles?

Big Smiles!

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
I have friends who speak in tongues. They said it "kind of" sounds like Japanese or Arabic, so it seems the tongues languages they are speaking are not identifiable languages. My thoughts are complicated on this. I believe tongues speaking can be sincere (since it is stated in the Bible), but I think it is also possible that many people speaking tongues are not speaking the "real" tongues. For example, if lackluster Christians speak tongues, doesn't seem sincere to me and seems like they would not receive this gift. Real spiritual sounding people can speak tongues, but they could be frauds too.
More frauds than real

I have seen churches actually teaching people at the altar, then pass the money basket around after class, no joke

Sorta like the Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn types

Yes the gift given to me sounds Arabic, Yiddish, not a known language m aware of

My Prayer Life, Not Jumping Around And Screaming In The Church (y)

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Looks like Satan at work trying to twist another truth in God's word. I love exposing his lies when he attacks me I know I'm doing good.
I attend a Pentecost church, and have seen what happens. Speaking in tongues doesn't happen every time. Other churches don't even do it.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
More frauds than real

I have seen churches actually teaching people at the altar, then pass the money basket around after class, no joke

Sorta like the Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn types

Yes the gift given to me sounds Arabic, Yiddish, not a known language m aware of

My Prayer Life, Not Jumping Around And Screaming In The Church (y)
@echoChrist Speaking in tongues is a well known phenomena. Not only to Christians. It is perhaps most commonly in Paganism, Shamanism, and other mediumistic religious practices. In Japan, the God Light Association believed that glossolalia (speaking in tongues) could cause adherents to recall past lives. The Oracle's of Delphi allegedly spoke in tongues while under the influence of a type of fume or gas released by fermented mixture of fossil methane and magma, released thru a vent. That's where their temple was built.

It is far different that what occurred on the day of Pentacost. It was in known languages spoken by people who did not know the language that they were speaking.. When all else fails the most simple explanation is most often correct. It was supernatural.

It is believed to often be caused by the release of uncommon albeit natural stress hormones. But thats different like Prophecy vs. prophesy. one means predictions generally and the other means spiritual utterances. Which are one can only be supernatural and the other can either be natural or super natural.

Yes the utterances can be faked or natural but, they both can be supernatural. If a prophet makes a prophesy that dosn't come true, scripture demands the he be stoned to death. Simple prophetic utterances may simply just be a healthy way of releasing feelings that we can't explain.

King Saul was not a prophet or filled with the Holy Spirit until 1 Samuel 10:5 After that you will come to Gibeah of God, where the Philistines have an outpost. As you approach the city, you will meet a group of prophets coming down from the high place, preceded by harps, tambourines, flutes, and lyres, and they will be prophesying. 6 Then the Spirit of the LORD will rush upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be transformed into a different person. BSB

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
@echoChrist Speaking in tongues is a well known phenomena. Not only to Christians. It is perhaps most commonly in Paganism, Shamanism, and other mediumistic religious practices. In Japan, the God Light Association believed that glossolalia (speaking in tongues) could cause adherents to recall past lives. The Oracle's of Delphi allegedly spoke in tongues while under the influence of a type of fume or gas released by fermented mixture of fossil methane and magma, released thru a vent. That's where their temple was built.

It is far different that what occurred on the day of Pentacost. It was in known languages spoken by people who did not know the language that they were speaking.. When all else fails the most simple explanation is most often correct. It was supernatural.

It is believed to often be caused by the release of uncommon albeit natural stress hormones. But thats different like Prophecy vs. prophesy. one means predictions generally and the other means spiritual utterances. Which are one can only be supernatural and the other can either be natural or super natural.

Yes the utterances can be faked or natural but, they both can be supernatural. If a prophet makes a prophesy that dosn't come true, scripture demands the he be stoned to death. Simple prophetic utterances may simply just be a healthy way of releasing feelings that we can't explain.

King Saul was not a prophet or filled with the Holy Spirit until 1 Samuel 10:5 After that you will come to Gibeah of God, where the Philistines have an outpost. As you approach the city, you will meet a group of prophets coming down from the high place, preceded by harps, tambourines, flutes, and lyres, and they will be prophesying. 6 Then the Spirit of the LORD will rush upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be transformed into a different person. BSB
Good night, ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!