TONGUES is a precious gift from God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
We’ve been given sooooo many gifts from God our Father in Heaven….speaking in tongues is just one of MANY! :love:

It is our Father’s Will that sinners be saved and sealed, baptized and filled with His Holy Spirit and filled with the knowledge of His Word!

Tongues is NOT false but, there is a counterfeit….you’ll know the difference….No Fear! :love:(y)

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
We’ve been given sooooo many gifts from God our Father in Heaven….speaking in tongues is just one of MANY! :love:

It is our Father’s Will that sinners be saved and sealed, baptized and filled with His Holy Spirit and filled with the knowledge of His Word!

Tongues is NOT false but, there is a counterfeit….you’ll know the difference….No Fear! :love:(y)
I have nothing against tongues, but it is obvious that a vast number of people do not know the difference between real and fake. I wish they did.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012

[ersonally I have never walked in that gift but I have noticed he has used me in other gifts that I didn't start out with simply because I was willing. I am able to tell real tongues from fake and it is not false I know firsthand but many do fake it as you said however we cannot discount tongues just because of this or because we have never seen it ourselves

Jan 7, 2022
[ersonally I have never walked in that gift but I have noticed he has used me in other gifts that I didn't start out with simply because I was willing. I am able to tell real tongues from fake and it is not false I know firsthand but many do fake it as you said however we cannot discount tongues just because of this or because we have never seen it ourselves
I am very interested to know how are you able to discern the difference? @Blain @Gideon300 According to my understanding it is just an literal language spoken in the world. If you look at the context of the events of Pentecost. You will see that the disciples spoke in languages of the surrounding regions. The hearers could hear the disciples speak in their languages and what is happening in the world today? My view is just that its a deception. How does speaking in tongues help you spiritually?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
How does speaking in tongues help you spiritually?
The critical mistake just about everyone who professes the gift of tongues makes.
It's NOT ABOUT helping onesself......It is about edification of the Church.

The gift of tongues truly is a gift of the Spirit, however, what passes today in many congregations for "tongue speaking' is nothing more than gobblygook!!!! As one lady told my mother....."if you want to speak tongues, stand up, lean your head back as far as you can, rais your arms high, and spin around.......and repeat as fast as you can "THE KEYS TO MY HONDA, THE KEYS TO MY HONDA, and before you know it you will be speaking tongues."

Yeah, right! That's how the Holy Spirit does it...........NOT!

There are people today in congregations around the Country and world that say they can teach others how to speak in tongues.......well, according to the Holy Spirit and Scripture, they are liars. As well there are those who have written Books on the translation of tongues...........they are liars!

Tongues spoken at Pentecost were nothing more than languages of other people there that the Disciples did not know or speak.

As for the "unknown tongue" in Scripture.......only the Holy Spirit can translate, AND NO ONE CAN TEACH IT TO ANY OTHER PERSON!

Do not be fooled by the foolish who learn from the deceivers

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021

I'm not much on the tongues thing, but Jimmy Swaggart makes a good case for it in scripture, I think the most convincing I have ever seen.

It would be very difficult to argue with him that tongues will cease before the resurrection.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I am very interested to know how are you able to discern the difference? @Blain @Gideon300 According to my understanding it is just an literal language spoken in the world. If you look at the context of the events of Pentecost. You will see that the disciples spoke in languages of the surrounding regions. The hearers could hear the disciples speak in their languages and what is happening in the world today? My view is just that its a deception. How does speaking in tongues help you spiritually?
It is simple to simply know if the person speaking in tongues is fake of real. My friend often spoke in tongues during morning devotions, and she radiated God within, they were a blessing to her.

I went to a church that had speaking in tongues part of their service to see what it was like. The church was dark and felt oppressive. Most of the women there were grossly overweight, as if they were using food to feed their lusts rather than for food. No one smiled. A man spoke in tongue, another interpreted saying it was "death of the children". I never went back.

Dec 21, 2020
1 Cor 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

O

Oblio

More and more, when I discern a stubborn, unbelieving heart, I just turn and walk away. Why beat my head against a wall?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
How does speaking in tongues help you spiritually?
My friend who has the gift tells me that it is God giving information about God that can't be put into our language. It is spiritual information.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hello Biblescholar, :love:

If I approach God's Word, God's Holy Spirit and God's Ways with my own human understanding, I'll NOT KNOW or learn anything the way I should. It's best for me to humble myself and acknowledge my need for the Holy Spirit to help me to understand and to teach me the things of God.

I will never understand God's gift of speaking in tongues if I rely on my own human reasoning. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The critical mistake just about everyone who professes the gift of tongues makes.

The gift of tongues truly is a gift of the Spirit, however, what passes today in many congregations for "tongue speaking' is nothing more than gobblygook!!!! As one lady told my mother....."if you want to speak tongues, stand up, lean your head back as far as you can, rais your arms high, and spin around.......and repeat as fast as you can "THE KEYS TO MY HONDA, THE KEYS TO MY HONDA, and before you know it you will be speaking tongues."

Yeah, right! That's how the Holy Spirit does it...........NOT!

There are people today in congregations around the Country and world that say they can teach others how to speak in tongues.......well, according to the Holy Spirit and Scripture, they are liars. As well there are those who have written Books on the translation of tongues...........they are liars!

Tongues spoken at Pentecost were nothing more than languages of other people there that the Disciples did not know or speak.

As for the "unknown tongue" in Scripture.......only the Holy Spirit can translate, AND NO ONE CAN TEACH IT TO ANY OTHER PERSON!

Do not be fooled by the foolish who learn from the deceivers
It's not good to be so quick to judge a gift from God because it's actually the Giver of the gift that you end up judging....

We know God is just, good and righteous in ALL THINGS that He does.... God in His vast unmeasurable wisdom gave us the gift of speaking in tongues...I'm pretty sure God knows what He is doing.

I think it is best to keep silence and not speak against God's gift of speaking in tongues. Yes, ask questions about it but, speak against it...NEVER.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
More and more, when I discern a stubborn, unbelieving heart, I just turn and walk away. Why beat my head against a wall?
Hello Oblio,

Just keep sowing the Seed of the Word of God...let it fall on all the different types of soil...

God's Word will accomplish what He sends it to do! We know there will be a "Harvest" so just keep sowing good seed!!
:love:(y)

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
It is simple to simply know if the person speaking in tongues is fake of real. My friend often spoke in tongues during morning devotions, and she radiated God within, they were a blessing to her.

I went to a church that had speaking in tongues part of their service to see what it was like. The church was dark and felt oppressive. Most of the women there were grossly overweight, as if they were using food to feed their lusts rather than for food. No one smiled. A man spoke in tongue, another interpreted saying it was "death of the children". I never went back.
I guess we cannot discern by way of appears. The bible say that satan appears as angel of light. All of our doctrines should come from within the cannon. Outward appears will not be beneficial to anybody. It should be scriptural otherwise we open ourselves up for deception. To understand the gift of tongues we should study the easier passages to get the real understanding and then thereafter look at the difficult passages and study it within context and the rest of the bible.

R

RichMan

Hello Biblescholar, :love:

If I approach God's Word, God's Holy Spirit and God's Ways with my own human understanding, I'll NOT KNOW or learn anything the way I should. It's best for me to humble myself and acknowledge my need for the Holy Spirit to help me to understand and to teach me the things of God.

I will never understand God's gift of speaking in tongues if I rely on my own human reasoning. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.
I agree that it is only by the Holy Spirit we can understand God's ways and our direction, But you seem to suggest that speaking in tongues is evident of the Holy Spirit being present and those who do not speak in tongues can not have the understanding you do.
The fact that I do not speak in tongues is evidence to me that my understanding may be greater than yours.
I see what presented and practiced as tongues today as nothing more than fulfilling the needs of the flesh and does nothing to glorify God, nor drew attention too our Lord and Savior.

I do not wish to offend anyone, but to me it is all about pleasing the flesh.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I agree that it is only by the Holy Spirit we can understand God's ways and our direction, But you seem to suggest that speaking in tongues is evident of the Holy Spirit being present and those who do not speak in tongues can not have the understanding you do.
The fact that I do not speak in tongues is evidence to me that my understanding may be greater than yours.
I see what presented and practiced as tongues today as nothing more than fulfilling the needs of the flesh and does nothing to glorify God, nor drew attention too our Lord and Savior.

I do not wish to offend anyone, but to me it is all about pleasing the flesh.
Oh dear...:rolleyes: with all that human reasoning going on how will you ever come to the knowledge of the Truth? :unsure:

Who cares about offending people?! We just want to make sure we don't offend God.

For your sake, just simply humble yourself under God and desire ONLY God's Truth given to you by God's Holy Spirit - not by you or anyone - Just the Holy Spirit giving you understanding of God and His Word. :love:(y)

O

Oblio

I had confessed my list of sins before the class. I had repented, with godly sorrow, of the sins on my list. I had, in faith, nailed each one to my cross. I then prayed back 4 generations on each side of my family. I felt spiritually refreshed and lifted my hands to the Lord in praise.
The Lord gave me a vision of Himself riding a horse. When it ended, the weight of His presence pushed me over backwards. It took about 15 seconds for me to reach the ground. I'd experienced a physical miracle.
As I lay on the floor, looking at the ceiling, I saw what looked like a tongue of fire fly into the room. After it flew around a bit, it flew straight into my chest. My body started shaking as I felt something well up from deep within me. As it burst out of my mouth, I heard myself, for the first time, speaking in tongues.
(Alone in my motel room on the morning of Thursday, March 16, 2000. I was at Jacob's Well Ministries, "Five Days Of Healing" seminar.)
This is my testimony of when the Lord Jesus gave me the gift of tongues. What you make of it is up to you.

R

RichMan

Oh dear...:rolleyes: with all that human reasoning going on how will you ever come to the knowledge of the Truth? :unsure:

Who cares about offending people?! We just want to make sure we don't offend God.

For your sake, just simply humble yourself under God and desire ONLY God's Truth given to you by God's Holy Spirit - not by you or anyone - Just the Holy Spirit giving you understanding of God and His Word. :love:(y)
Exactly what I was talking about.
You assume I have not humbled myself under God and understand the truth because I do not agree with you and buy into your speaking in tongues.
Just maybe you are the one deceived.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I guess we cannot discern by way of appears. The bible say that satan appears as angel of light. All of our doctrines should come from within the cannon. Outward appears will not be beneficial to anybody. It should be scriptural otherwise we open ourselves up for deception. To understand the gift of tongues we should study the easier passages to get the real understanding and then thereafter look at the difficult passages and study it within context and the rest of the bible.
As we study the scriptures, we MUST also ask the Holy Spirit to give us understanding. We can easily misunderstand the scriptures and not know the truth. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth and He is our Teacher.

Nov 2, 2021
I pray I'm someday worthy of tongues if it's God's will. I've never felt it. Perhaps I've not been open enough.