Too Much Christianity(?) Today is Nothing but Superstition & Emotionalism

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jon777

Banned
Sep 16, 2025
291
136
43
Virginia
Who can actually prove that the miracles(?) today have anything to do with Jesus Christ?

Christian Miracles are: from Fausset’s Bible Dictionary, taken from theWord module:

(1)
Recorded by contemporaries.
(2) In the same country.
(3) Not based on transient rumor, but confirmed by subsequent investigation, and recorded in independent accounts.
(4) Not naked history, but the history combined with the institution and with the religion of our day, as also with the time and place of the miracle recorded and of Christianity's origin.
(5) With particular specification of names, places, dates, and circumstances.
(6) Not requiring merely otiose assent, as the popular superstitions on which nothing depends, but claiming to regulate the opinions and acts of people.
(7) Not like popish miracles in Roman Catholic countries, in affirmation of opinions already formed, but performed amidst enemies, converting men from their most cherished prejudices; there was no anterior persuasion to lay hold of, Jesus' miracles gave birth to the sect; frauds might mix with the progress, but could not have place in the commencement of the religion.
(8) Not an imaginary perception, as Socrates' demon; the giving sight to the blind leaves a lasting effect; in those of a mixed nature the principal miracle is momentary, but some circumstance combined with it is permanent; Peter's vision might be a dream, but the message of Cornelius could not have been; the concurrence could only be supernatural.
(9) Not tentative, where out of many trials some succeed, as the ancient oracles, cures wrought by relics, etc.
(10) Not doubtful miracles, as the liquefaction of Januarius' blood, cures of nervous ailments.
(11) Not stories which can be resolved into exaggerations.
(12) Not gradual, but instantaneous for the most part (Luk 18:43); not incomplete; not merely temporary, but complete and lasting.
(13) Witnessed to at the cost of suffering and death. (Paley, Evidences of Christianity.)

“Then Jesus summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to cure every disease and every sickness. These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon, also known as Peter, and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus and Thaddaeus; Simon the Cananaean and Judas Iscariot, the one who betrayed him. These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Do not take a road leading to gentiles, and do not enter a Samaritan town, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, proclaim the good news, ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Cure the sick; raise the dead; cleanse those with a skin disease; cast out demons. You received without payment; give without payment.” (Mat 10:1-8)

You do not need to have a biblical library in your home, you can research in: https://archive.org/

Many Bible dictionaries are available to be read for free. Search for “bible dictionary” and many choices are available.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JohnDB
The miracles I have experienced have been a matter of timing, which could have been coincidence, but what are the odds?
I have heard about cases where people regained consciousness after being pronounced dead, but comas are weird things.
However, it does not matter, because the main miracle is creation, for which there is no atheist explanation.
Thus, until/unless God and Jesus were DISproved, I am content to walk by faith per the Propensity Principle.
 
2 Corinthians, Chapter 5:

7(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

If one is looking for a miracle, or proof there of, one is NOT walking/living by faith, right?

1. Hebrews 11:1
“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”​
Romans 8:24-25
“For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.”​
Corinthians 4:18
“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”​

I have witnessed two miracles in my lifetime, and been told of others. That does not mean all claims of miracles by people are truly miracles. However, just because there are some false claims DOES NOT MEAN miracles do not still occur today within the world.
 
Who can actually prove that the miracles(?) today have anything to do with Jesus Christ?

I can.
When you're in a church which Jesus Christ established and you're praying to Christ or Holy Trinity and you get a miracle, it means that the miracle is related to Jesus Christ.
Furthermore, this strengthens the body of believer to be even more faithful in Jesus Christ and keep the faith in our Living God.
 
Who can actually prove that the miracles(?) today have anything to do with Jesus Christ?

Christian Miracles are: from Fausset’s Bible Dictionary, taken from theWord module:

(1) Recorded by contemporaries.
(2) In the same country.
(3) Not based on transient rumor, but confirmed by subsequent investigation, and recorded in independent accounts.
(4) Not naked history, but the history combined with the institution and with the religion of our day, as also with the time and place of the miracle recorded and of Christianity's origin.
(5) With particular specification of names, places, dates, and circumstances.
(6) Not requiring merely otiose assent, as the popular superstitions on which nothing depends, but claiming to regulate the opinions and acts of people.
(7) Not like popish miracles in Roman Catholic countries, in affirmation of opinions already formed, but performed amidst enemies, converting men from their most cherished prejudices; there was no anterior persuasion to lay hold of, Jesus' miracles gave birth to the sect; frauds might mix with the progress, but could not have place in the commencement of the religion.
(8) Not an imaginary perception, as Socrates' demon; the giving sight to the blind leaves a lasting effect; in those of a mixed nature the principal miracle is momentary, but some circumstance combined with it is permanent; Peter's vision might be a dream, but the message of Cornelius could not have been; the concurrence could only be supernatural.
(9) Not tentative, where out of many trials some succeed, as the ancient oracles, cures wrought by relics, etc.
(10) Not doubtful miracles, as the liquefaction of Januarius' blood, cures of nervous ailments.
(11) Not stories which can be resolved into exaggerations.
(12) Not gradual, but instantaneous for the most part (Luk 18:43); not incomplete; not merely temporary, but complete and lasting.
(13) Witnessed to at the cost of suffering and death. (Paley, Evidences of Christianity.)

“Then Jesus summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to cure every disease and every sickness. These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon, also known as Peter, and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus and Thaddaeus; Simon the Cananaean and Judas Iscariot, the one who betrayed him. These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Do not take a road leading to gentiles, and do not enter a Samaritan town, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, proclaim the good news, ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Cure the sick; raise the dead; cleanse those with a skin disease; cast out demons. You received without payment; give without payment.” (Mat 10:1-8)

You do not need to have a biblical library in your home, you can research in: https://archive.org/

Many Bible dictionaries are available to be read for free. Search for “bible dictionary” and many choices are available.
you remind me of someone who is a victim of "paralysis by analysis". there's too much information in your posting. be calm, relax, be loose. all you have to do is become a born again Christian & you'll understand the truth. the Holy Spirit will enter your life, live with you for the remainder of your life & lead, teach, counsel & guide you thru life. the Holy Spirit performs all the revealing of all the truths of the Bible. no human can do it & that's exactly how it should be. although about 40 men over a period of 1600 years wrote the Bible, IT WAS AUTHORED BY GOD, JESUS AND THE HOLY SPIRIT. 1 of the top Bible to study is the Nelson King James Bible which has great study helps, concordances & liner notes. we Christians know by faith & trust that all the Bible is true. Acts 10:38 teaches us that God anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit & with power & that Jesus went around performing miracles.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2ndTimeIsTheCharm
I am seeing a lot of super-saint piety in the replies but referencing no documentation of true miracles of God resembling New Testament miracles.
 
I am seeing a lot of super-saint piety in the replies but referencing no documentation of true miracles of God resembling New Testament miracles.
the man with the withered hand, water into wine, Lazarus raised, man at the well, lepers, etc. there's quite a bit.
 
the man with the withered hand, water into wine, Lazarus raised, man at the well, lepers, etc. there's quite a bit.

I do not deny the miracles recorded for us in God's word. I AM challenging these claims of miracles made today as being the same as those in the New Testament.

You have either misread what I have been writing, or you are intentionally misrepresenting what I have written.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Carlyw and awelight
I do not deny the miracles recorded for us in God's word. I AM challenging these claims of miracles made today as being the same as those in the New Testament.
explain this more clearly. what really do you mean? claims of miracles made today ( buy people living today, it sounds like ), same as those in the new testament?
 
From your bio Jon:

Retired man and lifelong Christian by the grace of God. I hold to the ecumenical creeds of the church, and in general accept the basics of the Lutheran and Reformed confessions, yet I'd probably be considered independent and biblically libertarian.

I tend to lean libertarian concerning politics, but would like to know what you consider libertarian with regards to scripture.
 
B. B. Warfield is one of the great scholars in earlier, biblically sound Princeton. He wrote an excellent book on Counterfeit Miracles, and it can be read online. https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/warfield/warfield_counterfeit.html

This is almost an encyclopedia on the topic of the modern-day counterfeit miracles. It is profitable even if you are researching on a particular facet of the topic.
the devil performs false miracles because he uses fake sign & wonders. he can not perform true miracles. to discern them correctly, we can read 1st John chapter 4. if the "action" is a tough 1 to discern, we Jesus on the job. but we look to the subject of the action, whether it's a truth from God or a false teaching. thanks Jon777 for the above statement. i now know more of what you mean.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2ndTimeIsTheCharm
I am seeing a lot of super-saint piety in the replies but referencing no documentation of true miracles of God resembling New Testament miracles.

What kind of documentation are you looking for?
NIST approved documentation ? ISO documentation? SOC documentation?
 
I have been thinking about this ; Except ye see signs and wonders you will not believe . I have asked God for miracles and I have received them .
What was my motive for asking for these things ? At the time that I asked , I believed I was asking for help , for myself or for others . Now I wonder , was I asking for a sign or a wonder in order to bolster my own faith ? If I had received a negative response instead of positive ones , would that negative response have affected my faith in God in a negative way ?
I know we r all , for sure , encouraged to ask God for help through prayer and through our Sinless High Priest Jesus Christ , there's no doubt there is provision for that , thanks to God . I don't doubt God or Jesus but I do sometimes doubt my own motives . Do I need to c signs and wonders in order to believe ? Should I not just accept things as they r rather than b asking for God to intervene and put things right all the time ?
I need to think about this more . Any thoughts on this anyone ?
 
Faith is sufficient evidence of hope. We have hope that 'it' would happen because we 'know' it could happen, regardless of whether it (things not seen) immediately materializes. That's faith, and that's the substance which God counts as substantial evidence. There's no way anyone can disprove faith because they can't see it. Nobody can see what only God can.
 
I do not deny the miracles recorded for us in God's word. I AM challenging these claims of miracles made today as being the same as those in the New Testament.

You have either misread what I have been writing, or you are intentionally misrepresenting what I have written.

I could not agree with you more. All miracles listed in the Bible are true miracles. However, those being claimed by Pentecostalist and Charismatics are at best, suspect as to their genuineness.

Just to be clear, I do believe that faithful prayer can bring about healing IF it is in God's will to do so. However, this idea of men today being modern Apostles and having the ability to heal, cast out Demons and speak in languages they do not know, is nonsense.

This whole issue could be solved, one way or the other, if one of these so-called Apostles would simply provide Christendom with an irrefutable healing. 1) Document the persons illness with the medical profession, or 2) choose a candidate that has a visibly clear malady, such as a physical disability or deformation; then 3) Heal that individual permanently and provide the medical documentation to proof the healing.

Yet, this has never been provided. Why not? Christ never hid His healing miracles. He accomplished all of them for the unbelieving World to see. This proved He was who He said He was. God incarnate - the Son of the most high. So I say: Come on you modern Apostles, show us you are who you claim to be.

Just think of it.. if someone did as I propose, how much "unity" it could bring to the body of Christ and end this debate once and for all. Alas, it will not happen because they can't do what they claim.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jon777