TOPIC: THE BOOK OF JUDGES “GIDEON STORY”

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

easymore

Introduction: for a true believer, the book of judges is probably the most annoying book in the Bible. Some may even silently wish it were not included in the Bible. Most of the characters portrayed in the book, including heroes, tend to have one character flaw or the other. It is a story of a circle of glass disobedience to God, bare-faced idolatry, wicked acts, despicable people, start-live and shallow repentance along with repeated demonstration of God’s love mercy and patience. The setting in the immediate post-Joshua period (from about 1220-1050 BC) as Israel settled down to become a nation with a territory of their own. After initial victories in extending and consolidating their territory, their neighbor began to have the upper hands over Israel, inflicting territory suffering on them. Each time they faced prolonged oppression and then cried out to God, he raised a judge (ruler) who delivered them from their oppressors. A total of 14 such judges were raised. What are the lessons to be learnt from the study of this book? Well, several of them, including

Firstly, after Joshua, the Israelite had no earthly leaders as God assumed leadership over them but they drifted away from him into idolatry. Christians today must be devoted to Jesus Christ as their King, lord, Master and Savior, or else everything will simply fall apart.

Secondly, sin brings hardship, oppression, disaster and lock of progress.

Thirdly, God is always merciful, loving, patient, and when you cry out to him for help with a truly repentant heart, he will come to your rescue. Thus, God is the only true heroe of the book.
Fourth, if you identify character flaws similar to those in the book of judges (e.g., treating women as possessions angry burst of violence, evil ambition, making recklessly vows, uncontrolled passions, etc), then do something about it immediately. It is hoped that you will learn these and other lessons from this study.

SUBJUGATION AND A NEEDLESS CIVIL WAR. Isaiah 57:20-21, Deut.28:15, 25, 49-52

E

easymore

Let’s consider the following aspects of Gideon’s leadership: (1) Turned from idolatry to zealous of God. Judges 6:24-32
(2) Move from weakness to strong faith in God. Judges 6:33, 7:18
(3) Should believers today rely on fleecing as a means of seeking God guidance? Judges 6:36-40
(4) A strong and decisive military commander. Judges 7:17, 8:21
(5) A non sit-tight leader. Judges 8:22-29
(6) The Gideon Ephod blunder. Judges 8:24-27
(7) Gideon has too many wives and children. Judges 8:30-31 lets highlight the problems of polygamy & lack of birth control.

I want everyone comment on this subject because they have effect on each every Christan of today one way on the others......

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I welcome any Book inspired by Yahvah God.

It gives us examples to learn from.

Birth control?

Times of old women were called blessed to have many children.

I believe babies are a blessing, and it is this evil world that turn that way of thinking to "can't afford children" because we have allowed the evil Rebellion to enslave us....

All things have and will come to pass to show just how wonderful Yahvah God and Yahshua the Messiah are.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I think a good read for you would be the book of job...

E

easymore

An Ephod is a vestment or a medium by which we inquire the will of God.
Are we christian of today not making the same Ephod blunder?
instead of worshiping God true the spirit......

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011

It was this part that I said job would be a good read for you.

Could you please elaborate?

E

easymore

Judges 8:24-27
we are looking the life of Gideon and the lesson learnt from Gideon Ephod.
Gideon Ephod lead the Israelite astray, from zealous for God to idolatry which brought about hardship and they were oppress and face disaster, sin is a reproach.
life without Christ is full of Crises.
the same mighty man of valour became an idolatry icon

we are to learn from every careless mistake made by Gideon and re correct all are blunder
decisiveness and be zealous vessel for the master use.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
We must remain humble yes... we are lost creations that need saving.

Our Creator Yahvah God sent Yahshua the Messiah to save us from our sins.

We all receive our own corrections from Yahvah God and Yahshua the Messiah.

Always point people to Yahvah God and Yahshua the Messiah all Glory to them.

F

frankleespeaking

Introduction: for a true believer, the book of judges is probably the most annoying book in the Bible. Some may even silently wish it were not included in the Bible. Most of the characters portrayed in the book, including heroes, tend to have one character flaw or the other. It is a story of a circle of glass disobedience to God, bare-faced idolatry, wicked acts, despicable people, start-live and shallow repentance along with repeated demonstration of God’s love mercy and patience. The setting in the immediate post-Joshua period (from about 1220-1050 BC) as Israel settled down to become a nation with a territory of their own. After initial victories in extending and consolidating their territory, their neighbor began to have the upper hands over Israel, inflicting territory suffering on them. Each time they faced prolonged oppression and then cried out to God, he raised a judge (ruler) who delivered them from their oppressors. A total of 14 such judges were raised. What are the lessons to be learnt from the study of this book? Well, several of them, including

Firstly, after Joshua, the Israelite had no earthly leaders as God assumed leadership over them but they drifted away from him into idolatry. Christians today must be devoted to Jesus Christ as their King, lord, Master and Savior, or else everything will simply fall apart.

Thirdly, God is always merciful, loving, patient, and when you cry out to him for help with a truly repentant heart, he will come to your rescue. Thus, God is the only true heroe of the book.
Fourth, if you identify character flaws similar to those in the book of judges (e.g., treating women as possessions angry burst of violence, evil ambition, making recklessly vows, uncontrolled passions, etc), then do something about it immediately. It is hoped that you will learn these and other lessons from this study.

SUBJUGATION AND A NEEDLESS CIVIL WAR. Isaiah 57:20-21, Deut.28:15, 25, 49-52

personally I've always disliked the book of Job more than any other, mainly out of fear that I could stand the test that Job went through.

I actually find the book of judges to be a source of encouragement, and see a correlation of America and God and Israel and God to be very similar

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Is this another coincidence? My Bible reading has taken me to the Book of Judges again, however this time I am blessed and privileged to be reading it for the first time in Hebrew. The stories of Gideon and Samson may be taken as very sad, however the children of Israel did have leaders in the judges of Israel. Israel always had leaders, even after coming back from the captivity in Babylon. The lessons in this Book are valuable, as are all the Holy Scriptures. Everything that occurred with Samson was for the glory of God and there was purpose in his story, as I am certain by faith the same holds true of Gideon. As far as error in anyone's conduct, I suppose one may construe the meanings as one wishes, however true understanding does not come aside from the Holy Spirit. All things truly do work together for the good for those who love God. I have experienced this in so much repeatedly throughout my own experience with Jesus, Yeshua, and I believe all who love Him know this to be true.

N

needmesomejesus

personally I've always disliked the book of Job more than any other, mainly out of fear that I could stand the test that Job went through.

I actually find the book of judges to be a source of encouragement, and see a correlation of America and God and Israel and God to be very similar

What if the trials of Job were transferred to modern time issues? Because the issues he faced are different. But I don't know many people who could stand not one, not two but all of his children dying. All of his animals being killed. And getting bad news after bad news. And it wasn't like there were 20 years apart so he could get over it; it was back to back to back. I don't think I could stand it and in all honestly I don't think many people can.

Oct 31, 2011
Some have said that the book of judges is the story of Israel taking on the ways of the world around them. There are parallels in our country today. Some wanted peace at any price. They felt being tolerant was good. It was socially and economically an advantage to them. I have heard it said in our country today that God is God by any name, we should honor and respect all religions, all paths to the divine are equally as good.

S

Saint-John

umm-ok- its no surprise Israel, judges,kings...went off-track its mans nature (natural man)..only a few days after moses up the mount they had already corrupted themselves (after all they had experienced)..
30 And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives.
31 And his concubine that was in Shechem, she also bare him a son, whose name he called Abimelech.
32 And Gideon the son of Joash died in a good old age, and was buried in the sepulchre of Joash his father, in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
33 And it came to pass, as soon as Gideon was dead, that the children of Israel turned again, and went a whoring after Baalim, and made Baalberith their god.
the times and customs were different and accepted..(much of Gods law was hygiene..etc..we take for granted)

by the time Jesus Christ came to his own !!! they were so entrenched in there own ideas and customs that what Jesus said and did could not be comprehended..man gets worse with time ..further from God.

.2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

translated by faithfull men but INSPIRED BY GOD

F

frankleespeaking

What if the trials of Job were transferred to modern time issues? Because the issues he faced are different. But I don't know many people who could stand not one, not two but all of his children dying. All of his animals being killed. And getting bad news after bad news. And it wasn't like there were 20 years apart so he could get over it; it was back to back to back. I don't think I could stand it and in all honestly I don't think many people can.

My thoughts exactly!......I realized my post was not written correctly (wish the edit button worked longer) I believe if such disaster struck me, I could only conclude God was against me