* Trigger Warning* Biblical clarification re: suffering abuse

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

resto

Feb 25, 2019
I would take it on a case by case basis. Seek Wisdom through prayer and fasting. Sure there are a lot of Scriptures that can be applied. I think that in some cases Civil Law should be applied. God gave us that too. Ive seen God do Miracles in Marriages. Maybe look at it without the Marriage Factor and look at it from a Physical Combat point of view. I mean What are we guilty of by Scripture when we strike any person out of Hate? Separation of combatants is the first rule of law. Then take it from there. When Paul talks about Divorce he addresses "Those Who Know The Law" meaning Jewish Christians with "Covenant Marriage" He applies OT Law. Im not sure that a Gentile Christian has an OT Covenant Marriage. Maybe OT Divorce Laws dont fit. I think that this is a matter for Professionals not Laymen. I dont feel qualified to minister to an actual case outside of Emergency Evacuation. I see a lot of Liability and Accountability here. Way above My Calling.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
Thanks for all the input folks.

Amidst all the responses, there has been a lot of wisdom and sense, but I was just looking for more of the same scriptural material really, to directly, without any doubt or maybe, clarify what 1 Peter 2 and 3 means.
Like we have the 4 gospels but only Matthew includes that exception clause. If we had just read the other 3 gospels we wouldn't have known about it. That is 4 very related areas of scripture, all talking about the exact same thing. No ambiguity. I was hoping for even just one such match for this kind of instruction.

But, we are given what we are given, and that is it. I guess we have to each make sense of things like this the best we can, taking into account what we know of the revealed will and character of God, that we do have in scripture.

I think I will call it a day on this one, but feel free to carry on the thread (as if you needed my permission lol) if it has caught your interest and you want to keep looking into it and sharing on here.

Bless all who contribute and thanks again.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Thread Title -----by Tararose

Trigger Warning* Biblical clarification re: suffering abuse

Article from Got Questions

The Bible is silent on the issue of physical abuse as a reason for divorce, although it is obvious what God expects a marriage to look like (Ephesians 5:22–33), and abuse is contrary to everything godly.

Physical violence against a spouse is immoral and should not be tolerated by anyone. No one should remain in an unsafe environment, whether it involves a family member, friend, employer, caregiver, or stranger. Physical abuse is also against the law, and civil authorities should be the first ones contacted if abuse occurs.

A spouse who is being abused should immediately seek a safe place. If there are children involved, they should also be protected and removed from the situation. There is nothing unbiblical about separating from an abuser; in fact, it is morally right to protect oneself and one’s children.

The Bible never commands divorce, even in the case of abuse. The Bible specifies two acceptable reasons for divorce: abandonment of a Christian by an unbelieving spouse (1 Corinthians 7:15) and adultery (Matthew 5:32). Since the Bible does not list abuse as an acceptable reason for divorce, we are careful to limit our advice to separation.

God allows divorce in the event of abandonment and adultery, but even those circumstances do not automatically trigger divorce proceedings; divorce is still a last resort. In the case of infidelity, it is better for two Christians to reconcile than divorce. It is better to extend the forgiveness and love that God freely gives us (Colossians 3:13).

Reconciliation with an abuser, however, is far different. Reconciling with an abusive partner depends completely on the abuser proving his or her reliability, which could take years—if it happens at all. Separation from an abusive spouse is likely to be long-term.

Once separation has been established, the abuser has the responsibility to seek help. First and foremost, he or she should seek God. “For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And the door is opened to everyone who knocks” (Matthew 7:8). God has power to heal individuals and relationships. He must be the Lord of our lives, the Master of our assets, and the Head of our households. Psychological aid and legal limitations (restraining orders) on an abuser are also appropriate, and such tools are important to his or her process of change.

If the abuser demonstrates verifiable change, independently confirmed, the relationship may be resumed with much caution. Both husband and wife must commit themselves to God’s path and develop their relationship with God through Christ. “Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me and teach me your law. I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws” (Psalm 119:29–30). This commitment to God should be accompanied by intensive counseling from a trusted pastor or believing licensed counselor. The counselling should be taken first individually, then as a couple, and finally as an entire family, as all need help healing. Change is possible for an abusive person who truly repents and humbly surrenders to the Lord (2 Corinthians 3:18).

There are a number of “red flags” to look for before entering a permanent relationship. Unfortunately, these indicators may not be visible until after the wedding takes place, since many abusers are skilled at hiding their true natures. However, a short list of things to look out for includes irrational jealousy, the need to be in control, a quick temper, cruelty toward animals, attempts to isolate the other person from his or her friends and family, drug or alcohol abuse, and disrespect for boundaries, privacy, personal space, or moral values. If you see any of these warning signs in a person you are entering a relationship with, please seek advice from someone familiar with abusive situations.

If you are in an abusive situation right now, whether the abuser is a spouse, parent, child, caretaker, teacher, relative, or anyone else, please know that God does not want you to remain in that situation. It is not God’s will for you to accept physical, sexual, or psychological abuse. Leave the situation, find someone to help you stay safe, and involve law enforcement immediately. Through it all, pray for God’s guidance and protection.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019

Amidst all the responses, there has been a lot of wisdom and sense, but I was just looking for more of the same scriptural material really, to directly, without any doubt or maybe, clarify what 1 Peter 2 and 3 means.
Like we have the 4 gospels but only Matthew includes that exception clause. If we had just read the other 3 gospels we wouldn't have known about it. That is 4 very related areas of scripture, all talking about the exact same thing. No ambiguity. I was hoping for even just one such match for this kind of instruction.

But, we are given what we are given, and that is it. I guess we have to each make sense of things like this the best we can, taking into account what we know of the revealed will and character of God, that we do have in scripture.

I think I will call it a day on this one, but feel free to carry on the thread (as if you needed my permission lol) if it has caught your interest and you want to keep looking into it and sharing on here.

At the risk of sounding like Confucius lol, your answer to the OP can only be found by first answering a different question.

Did Jesus really void Deuteronomy 24:1-4 which clearly allows divorce and remarriage?

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
At the risk of sounding like Confucius lol, your answer to the OP can only be found by first answering a different question.

Did Jesus really void Deuteronomy 24:1-4 which clearly allows divorce and remarriage?
Hi, I felt it would be rude not to answer, but do feel its a bit unfair... I mean you are asking me to go down a road that may be entirely pointless, if it isn't what you were getting at. But I will humor you this time. :)

Are you are perhaps thinking that because...
  • men could legally have more than 1 wife at a time.
  • a wife could have only 1 husband. Only a legal divorce could nullify the marriage, allowing her to marry again.
  • a man divorcing his wife had to return her (possibly substantial) dowery. That would be inconvenient for him.
  • (an unlikely scenario but possible none the less) if the first husband forced a separation, but made it look like his wife had done it, then technically, he could even have her stoned to death for any subsequent remarriage (legally classed as adultery) while he lived.
  • there's some wrongful use of, and a legal difference between, the words separation and divorce, in Matthew 5?
that Jesus was not saying divorce is the problem, but leaving someone separated with no option but to remarry without a divorce was?
And that...
  • if you initiate separation, but refuse a divorce, any sin of adultery through remarriage without divorce falls entirely on your head.
  • this teaching enforces, not nullifies, the given divorce and remarriage procedures, found in Deuteronomy 24.
  • Jesus was clarifying this because hard hearted men, were kicking out their wives, often to get new ones, leaving them high and dry, with no legal right to remarry and no husband to provide for them?
If so, I have myself followed that line of study, it was pretty interesting, and some of it was compelling.

But, for all that, I cannot make say the verses here below fit into that understanding.
v 10 says 'THE COMMAND of The Lord', so it is safe to assume it holds an accurate rewording of that part of Jesus' Mat 5 teaching.

1 Cor 7
10To the married I give this
command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

No permission for a wife to separate, but if she ignores that and separates anyway, no mention of the freedom to divorce and remarry.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

The 'clause' in v 15 holds the BUT IN THIS CASE... you are no longer bound to the marriage, indicating this allowed freedom is in direct contrast to what is permitted normally, in the scenarios in the previous verses.

I would have to say with this in mind, that JESUS COMMAND is summed up as
You must not Separate, or initiate a Divorce - unless it is because of sexual immorality (mat 5) - If you do, you are not free to remarry.(1 Cor 7)

Pauls further teaching clarifies the matter, explaining there is a very specific scenario that allows an exception to this command, in the case of an unequal yoke marriage (something Jesus had no need to teach Jews about), saying 'BUT' IF an unbelievering spouse separates, then you are free (from the marriage).

The following would confirm that....

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her.
13 And
if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him.

So all in all it seems to say remarriage is not an option if you do instigate or cause divorce or separation.

If this line of thinking isn't what you meant I have to call it quits on the guessing, as I don't have any other idea what you might have meant, sorry. Happy to hear your take, but that's all I have otherwise.

Thanks

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Hi, I felt it would be rude not to answer, but do feel its a bit unfair... I mean you are asking me to go down a road that may be entirely pointless, if it isn't what you were getting at. But I will humor you this time. :)

Are you are perhaps thinking that because...
  • men could legally have more than 1 wife at a time.
  • a wife could have only 1 husband. Only a legal divorce could nullify the marriage, allowing her to marry again.
  • a man divorcing his wife had to return her (possibly substantial) dowery. That would be inconvenient for him.
  • (an unlikely scenario but possible none the less) if the first husband forced a separation, but made it look like his wife had done it, then technically, he could even have her stoned to death for any subsequent remarriage (legally classed as adultery) while he lived.
  • there's some wrongful use of, and a legal difference between, the words separation and divorce, in Matthew 5?
that Jesus was not saying divorce is the problem, but leaving someone separated with no option but to remarry without a divorce was?
And that...
  • if you initiate separation, but refuse a divorce, any sin of adultery through remarriage without divorce falls entirely on your head.
  • this teaching enforces, not nullifies, the given divorce and remarriage procedures, found in Deuteronomy 24.
  • Jesus was clarifying this because hard hearted men, were kicking out their wives, often to get new ones, leaving them high and dry, with no legal right to remarry and no husband to provide for them?
If so, I have myself followed that line of study, it was pretty interesting, and some of it was compelling.

But, for all that, I cannot make say the verses here below fit into that understanding.
v 10 says 'THE COMMAND of The Lord', so it is safe to assume it holds an accurate rewording of that part of Jesus' Mat 5 teaching.

1 Cor 7
10To the married I give this
command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

No permission for a wife to separate, but if she ignores that and separates anyway, no mention of the freedom to divorce and remarry.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

The 'clause' in v 15 holds the BUT IN THIS CASE... you are no longer bound to the marriage, indicating this allowed freedom is in direct contrast to what is permitted normally, in the scenarios in the previous verses.

I would have to say with this in mind, that JESUS COMMAND is summed up as
You must not Separate, or initiate a Divorce - unless it is because of sexual immorality (mat 5) - If you do, you are not free to remarry.(1 Cor 7)

Pauls further teaching clarifies the matter, explaining there is a very specific scenario that allows an exception to this command, in the case of an unequal yoke marriage (something Jesus had no need to teach Jews about), saying 'BUT' IF an unbelievering spouse separates, then you are free (from the marriage).

The following would confirm that....

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her.
13 And
if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him.

So all in all it seems to say remarriage is not an option if you do instigate or cause divorce or separation.

If this line of thinking isn't what you meant I have to call it quits on the guessing, as I don't have any other idea what you might have meant, sorry. Happy to hear your take, but that's all I have otherwise.

Thanks
It wasn't a riddle, no need to guess. Just a simple question for you (and others like you) to ponder.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
It wasn't a riddle, no need to guess. Just a simple question for you (and others like you) to ponder.
Me, and others like me…. Not sure what that phrase meant, or why it was necessary.

I already took the time to ponder what you said, and also to share my findings.

It would be nice if you just shared what you expexted “me and otherss like me” to learn from pomdering your question, and how that relates to the op question.
Perhaps you mean well, but being “cryptic”really isn’t helping. Thanks anyway.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Please do not read on or join in if you are suffering because of abuse, or past abuse.
I do not want to cause anyone any upset or pain, and I don't want this to turn into a counselling or comfort thread, as vital as counsel and comfort are to anyone suffering in any way.

I am hoping commenters will avoid giving opinions and personal testimonies, and so on, and that we can just engage in a thorough examination of the scriptures on the subject, all and any of which may be triggering. There are other recent threads where this sort of thing is being discussed and they would really be a better place for anyone emotionally involved in the topic.

okay... so I was thinking about this topic as I read through the recent thread about Bad Marriages and God joining Couples together.
I didn't want to hijack the thread so decided to start a new one, that would just examine the scriptures on this topic of suffering abuse, and nothing else.

Asking the scholars among us to help, so hopefully wont end up with lots of angry critics...

At the risk of being taken the wrong way, I was wondering recently, why I and many other Christians, who would say we source our advice from Scripture, advocate abuse as a reason for divorce. I have myself often said a woman or a man being beaten by a spouse should certainly separate, though if I am being honest I could find no scripture to back that up. I thought it was plain commonsense and compassion I guess. I can find things that say God hates the innocent suffering, He hates men hurting their wives, sure, but nothing that says anyone is actually free to leave such a situation. I know also that men are instructed to love their wives etc. But, that isn't the point God seems to be addressing here, He obviously isn't justifying bad behaviour, abuse or mistreatment of others in these texts, but he doesn't seem to offer any way out for those who suffer it either.

I just want to make it clear that I am not saying I believe people should stay in abusive situation. I am not even saying God believes that.
My heart breaks for those who experience the horror of being trapped in abusive situations of any kind, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But, I recently quoted a passage of scripture elsewhere, to show that a woman should not leave her husband (generally speaking) and vice versa. I looked at it again and suddenly realised it started with LIKEWISE, WIVES.... so I went back and read the proceeding portion of scripture to see what came before it.

The portion I read was as follows, I have underlined the portions that concerned me, and which all appear to be very much connected.
1 Peter 2

18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust. 19 For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly. 20 For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. 22 He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. 23 When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. 25 For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
(Continues straight into chapter 3)
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct. 3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— 4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. 5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

Slaves and women here appear to be under the same instruction, which is to adhere to the same example as Christ, who willingly and unjustly suffered as our example.

It is also clear that the other example given for women is that of a woman who called her husband Lord, meaning master, and who did so without fear of what could be called frightening - perhaps alluding to the possible repercussions of having an unconditional attitude of submission to someone in authority over you, such as those that slaves with wicked masters suffered, and that christ suffered at the hands of his torturers. They have to submit to even those who do not obey the word, which would include the instructions to love their wives and treat them well etc.

I was also reminded of God's response to Hagar running away from severe mistreatment, and being made to return and to submit.

Gen 16
6...Sarai treated Hagar so harshly that she fled from her.
7Now the angel of the LORD found Hagar by a spring of water in the desert—the spring along the road to Shur.
8“Hagar, servant of Sarai,” he said, “where have you come from, and where are you going?”
I am running away from my mistress Sarai,” she replied.
9So the angel of the LORD told her, “Return to your mistress and submit to her authority.”

Yes, he does go on to tell her that her lineage will be blessed, but that would still be at the cost of going back to be mistreated, probably even enduring beatings and the like. There is no suggestion that Sarah laid off her mistreatment of Hagar at that point, treatment so severe a woman was willing to take her son and ran way into the wilderness.

I also think about Job, whom God permitted to be mistreated of by the devil, to the point of despairing of his own life. Yes blessing came after, but what a cost he paid, and what pain he was allowed to endure before hand.

1 Peter 2 and 3 seem to indicate the same is expected of slaves and women, with the assurance of being blessed if they submit and suffer unjustly as a result of that submitting, just as Christ did. I know that it sounds very unreasonable to us, but I am have not found any loop-holes to get me out of what these verses seems to be saying.

So there you go, that is my dilemma at the moment in understanding this whole issue biblically, so that I can aline my understanding with all of the word of God, and not my human reasoning, or mere humanistic instincts.

PLEASE do not criticise and condemn me for it seeming to say the opposite of what I would like it to say. That is totally pointless. I am asking to be biblically educated about this, by those who know more than I do and can show me from scripture, where I may have missed something and misunderstood these texts.

I am not certainly not happy about seeing the connection and I seriously hope to be corrected scripturally, with kindness and gentleness, as instructed in 2 Timothy 2. (I think that is in my signature if you want the exact quote.)

I know I am risking being mis-judged, but I am doing this in hopes someone can direct me to other unambiguous, clear scriptures relating to this topic, that I am struggling to find, that would explain, or even hopefully somehow nullify, this seeming instruction to not only allow yourself to be beaten and mistreated, but to go so far as to honour or show respect to those who are inflicting it on you.

Thanks in advance.
The scriptures where God says "I hate divorce"
That's the one. Read the passage in entirety. A "put away" wife was a wife who wasn't divorced and couldn't remarry. It was abuse. God said that any sins that a "put away" wife committed were not going to be held against her but instead on her husband.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Me, and others like me…. Not sure what that phrase meant, or why it was necessary.
Again, not a riddle. You and others who have the same questions as you. Sheesh you’re defensive 😅

It was a simple question yet you chose to respond, writing a mini novel about Paul, “guessing my line of thought” etc. Funny thing is, you never actually addressed the question directly lol

Did Jesus void Deuteronomy 24:1-4? Again, this is simply for your consideration. You don’t need to answer. It’s simply a question you and others who have questions on this topic should consider. I mean, less you think it’s an entirely pointless road to go down…

Good day mam.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Again, not a riddle. You and others who have the same questions as you. Sheesh you’re defensive 😅

It was a simple question yet you chose to respond, writing a mini novel about Paul, “guessing my line of thought” etc. Funny thing is, you never actually addressed the question directly lol

Did Jesus void Deuteronomy 24:1-4? Again, this is simply for your consideration. You don’t need to answer. It’s simply a question you and others who have questions on this topic should consider. I mean, less you think it’s an entirely pointless road to go down…

Good day mam.
Okay well thanks for clarifying.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021

I gave scriptures...
It is clear that abuse is not to be tolerated. The larger context of "I hate divorce"....from the preceeding chapter through the entire chapter this is quoted from. It's one of the most abused snippets from Malachi.

The rule was that a man abusing a daughter of Abraham is beaten by the men of the city. And if he is caught a second time it is apparent that he cannot learn so he needs to be removed by stoning. No more abuse from a dead man.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yes the Lord Jesus Christ effectively voided that "precept", and explained that God gave it through Moses because of the hardness of people's hearts. Then He went on to explain that DIVORCE IS UNACCEPTABLE except for one reason -- adultery on the part of a spouse. But the exception is in another passage (Matthew 5:32):

MARK 10: CHRIST'S TEACHING ON DIVORCE
2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.
3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?
4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.
5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

The words of Christ have final authority, and they apply to all -- believers or unbelievers.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Title of the thread should be changed to excuses of Why it is ok to divorce.
Getting ones self safe does not equal divorce .
The Churches fail in teaching what marriage should be. Christians, we as a group follow the customs' around us instead of the Scriptures . The idea that love and marriage is like a fairy tail is as phony as Hollywood. There are some posters in this forum who are shacking up.

Does God forgive our sin of divorce yes? Yes when we repent. I do not think those divorced /remarried should try and undo what they have done. It is not like returning the money one has stolen.
1 Cor 7 is very clear. As Christians it would be sinful to be a bitch/jerk with the purpose of running off the other party .
IF one is beating the other call the law press charges that is lawful Rom 13 .
I know the law is not always helpful in a domestic situation ( we sheltered one in need) . We should also be able to call on the elders , for physical safety .
Churches fail to strongly teach sex belongs in marriage . We fail to teach the importance of chastity to life and our relationship with God.
We live in a world that tell us to trust our kids. Yeah trust a hormone raging teenager to do the right thing brilliant huh. The old idea of chaperoning is not a bad idea. We need to stop buying into what the world says and follow the Word .

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
The rule was that a man abusing a daughter of Abraham is beaten by the men of the city. And if he is caught a second time it is apparent that he cannot learn so he needs to be removed by stoning. No more abuse from a dead man.
I haven't come across that in the OT laws, but that would be a very relative thing to study, it would be helpful to have the reference please.

And thanks for reminding me about your comment, which I went back and re-read, and also for clarifying why you gave the verse you alluded to in it (y).

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Title of the thread should be changed to excuses of Why it is ok to divorce.
Getting ones self safe does not equal divorce .
The Churches fail in teaching what marriage should be. Christians, we as a group follow the customs' around us instead of the Scriptures . The idea that love and marriage is like a fairy tail is as phony as Hollywood. There are some posters in this forum who are shacking up.

Does God forgive our sin of divorce yes? Yes when we repent. I do not think those divorced /remarried should try and undo what they have done. It is not like returning the money one has stolen.
1 Cor 7 is very clear. As Christians it would be sinful to be a bitch/jerk with the purpose of running off the other party .
IF one is beating the other call the law press charges that is lawful Rom 13 .
I know the law is not always helpful in a domestic situation ( we sheltered one in need) . We should also be able to call on the elders , for physical safety .
Churches fail to strongly teach sex belongs in marriage . We fail to teach the importance of chastity to life and our relationship with God.
We live in a world that tell us to trust our kids. Yeah trust a hormone raging teenager to do the right thing brilliant huh. The old idea of chaperoning is not a bad idea. We need to stop buying into what the world says and follow the Word .
Thank you Becky, lots of food for thought.

It depends as to where a person lives, as to what is permissible by law. There are sadly still many places were women have no rights at all, but are seen as possessions owned by men, who "buy" them from their parents. In many places, there are some laws, but they can be token gestures the government spouts to impress other modern nations, and these maynot enforced, even if they exist.

I agree that sadly the church in many places, falls short of really helping people in this situation. I agree that teens are rarely able to make rational decisions without parental guidance, that are best for the long term.
The rational part of teen brain will not stop re-developing until early 20's, so must teens are easily influenced by emotion, hormones and peers, rather than rational and logic, parents or God.

There are so many threads on forums that have huge arguments going on about divorce and remarriage and the reasons it should or should not be allowed, and they go on forever and some even arguing that widows cant remarry etc, so I wanted to just focus on and study this one area so we dont get too side tracked.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I haven't come across that in the OT laws, but that would be a very relative thing to study, it would be helpful to have the reference please.

And thanks for reminding me about your comment, which I went back and re-read, and also for clarifying why you gave the verse you alluded to in it (y).
Look,
King Henry the 8th is the reason we have an English translation of the scriptures. Not that he did the translating (he actually hunted down and killed Tyndale)

Tyndale is credited with it but he was really plagiarizing Erasmus.

Since that time every English translation wants to honor Tyndale with traditions.

What was at stake was Henry's ability to divorce and remarry because he wanted an heir to his throne. (Never happened)

Since that time the tradition of muddling up of the scriptures surrounding the legalisms (which there are none) for marriage behaviors of the two are just crap....and almost no one knows them.

I had to dig really deep into anthropology and original language studies to figure out what actually was said and why it was said in the manner it was said in.

And it was breathtaking and actually "good news" to everyone who heard it. (Except for the religious leaders)

And if you use your head and think separately from the noise of the axe grinders you can likely come up with the general gist of what a loving and kind Jesus/God meant and intended for us...even when things go wrong. Because God doesn't change character....ever!

Feb 4, 2023
Hello Tararose! I want to share with you some scriptures here, I hope this will help somehow.

There are different cases that could be considered, which I think got addressed already.
-A man/woman who was married before becoming a believer
-A man/woman who is a believer who married an unbeliever
-A man/woman who is a believer who married a fellow believer

The fulfilling of the law hangs into two commandments:
Mark 12:30-31 KJV
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. [31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

A man/woman who was married before becoming a believer and who has an abusive spouse, this is what Apostle Paul said.

1 Corinthians 7:12-17 KJV
But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. [13] And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. [14] For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. [15] But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases : but God hath called us to peace. [16] For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife? [17] But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

1 Corinthians 7:27 KJV
Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

Notice how Apostle Paul is basing this in loving our neighbors. He said "if you have an unbelieving spouse and he/she be pleased to dwell with you, let him/her not put him/her away." He did not say, "If you have an unbelieving spouse and you are pleased to dwell with him/her, let him/her not put him/her away." Do you see the difference? It's not taking into consideration what the person who is wronged wants, but what the spouse/neighbor wants.

1 Corinthians 10:29,33 KJV
Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience? [33] Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

A man/woman who is a believer who married an unbeliever

This one just disobeyed the Lord in his commandment not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. And the above passages also apply in this case, always taking into consideration what the spouse really wants.

2 Corinthians 6:14-17 KJV
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? [15] And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? [16] And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them ; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. [17] Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing ; and I will receive you,

A man/woman who is a believer who married a fellow believer. Again, if the spouse is an abuser, still taking into consideration what he/she wants.

1 Corinthians 7:24,27 KJV
Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God. [27] Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

This is how we fulfill the law, forgetting ourselves and always thinking about others. However, God is very merciful, and there is certainly a reward to those who obey him and suffer for his name's sake. The abuser could possibly change if he/she sees how good of a person his/her spouse is.

In the words of God:

For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

1 Peter 3:1-2 KJV
Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; [2] While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

By showing the abuser love in the midst of all tribulation, God will intervene. This speaks of the Israelites, when they sinned was afflicted and carried away captives, and repented and do righteousness, then God causes them to be pitied by their oppressors. That's how powerful and merciful God is, just if you obey him. He could change the behavior of the abuser suddenly.

Psalm 106:46 KJV
He made them also to be pitied of all those that carried them captives.

1 Kings 8:46-51 KJV
If they sin against thee, (for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near; [47] Yet if they shall bethink themselves in the land whither they were carried captives, and repent, and make supplication unto thee in the land of them that carried them captives, saying, We have sinned, and have done perversely, we have committed wickedness; [48] And so return unto thee with all their heart, and with all their soul, in the land of their enemies, which led them away captive, and pray unto thee toward their land, which thou gavest unto their fathers, the city which thou hast chosen, and the house which I have built for thy name: [49] Then hear thou their prayer and their supplication in heaven thy dwelling place, and maintain their cause, [50] And forgive thy people that have sinned against thee, and all their transgressions wherein they have transgressed against thee, and give them compassion before them who carried them captive, that they may have compassion on them: [51] For they be thy people, and thine inheritance, which thou broughtest forth out of Egypt, from the midst of the furnace of iron:

Also take into consideration Abigail, the wife of King David. She was married to an evil man named Nabal (meaning a fool), and Abigail is a God-fearing woman. Then one day it happened that God punished Nabal and killed him so that Abigail was set free from him and King David proposed to her to take her as wife. So we have to take into consideration the act of God when we obey his word. I could be forgetting some more passages, I hope to share it if I remember them if you consider all these words of God. But this is how we really are to love others.

Matthew 5:44-48 KJV
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; [45] That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. [46] For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? [47] And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others ? do not even the publicans so? [48] Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

In addition, God hates divorce. He let divorce happen in the Old Testament because of the weakness of men. But in the New Testament, the Holy Spirit is already given so that we could finally obey his commandments. What God hath joined, let no man separate.

Jun 20, 2022
if someone wants to be a punching bag, they have victim issues.
if someone wants to feel safe and loved and secure, abusive marriages won't be fun at all.
i am not lodging here to Sin, if it is a Sin, but you can get Divorced and ask Forgiveness later.
It ain't actually a Salvation Issue, unless you refuse to seek Forgiveness for it.

Komentaja

Jul 29, 2022
it could be as simple as this: common sense- i still have never heard of anyone remaining in a marriage while being beaten. to me, common sense says get out now if being beaten. God understands. & if you want to get married again, why should it be that you can't get married again while you did nothing wrong? why should you suffer from what some criminal did to you? makes sense, right? also, the Bible doesn't say that God WANTS YOU TO REMAIN in a marriage while being beaten! girls, if your married, the 1st time you get beat, get out immediately!!!!!!! you are innocent, remember that!!!! & after, don't let the devil try to con you into believing your guilty. that's my take on it.
Unfortunately Bible does not operate on common sense. In fact many of what Jesus says goes AGAINST common sense. Not resisting evil is the very opposite of what I want to do. Praying for your enemies isnt common sense.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Unfortunately Bible does not operate on common sense. In fact many of what Jesus says goes AGAINST common sense. Not resisting evil is the very opposite of what I want to do. Praying for your enemies isnt common sense.
when someone is a Christian, praying for your enemies is common sense! it should be an every day affair! i'm not saying anything about the Bible being common sense, i'm talking about humans! meaning if your beaten, get out & get out now! hope you understand.