True peace

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Willie-T

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
22,418
413
0
Ran across this recently............


I remember reading about an art competition where the theme given was “peace.” The artist who most effectively depicted peace in his artwork would win the competition. The artists gathered their paints, canvases and brushes and started working on creating their masterpieces. When the time came to judge the artworks, the judges were impressed by the various scenes of tranquility illustrated by the artists. There was a majestic piece capturing the brilliance of the sun setting over lush greenery, one that depicted a serene landscape of moonlit hills and another evocative piece that showed a lone man walking leisurely through rustic paddy fields.

Then, the judges came upon a peculiar piece that looked almost horrifying and perhaps even ugly to some. It was the very antithesis of every other piece that the judges had seen. It was a wild cacophony of violent colors and the aggression with which the artist had lashed his brush against the canvas was obvious. It depicted a raging storm where the ocean waves were swollen to menacing heights and slamming against the craggy edges of a cliff with thunderous force. Lightning zigzagged across the blackened sky and the branches of the single tree that was perched atop the cliff were all swept to the side by the force of the gale. Now, how could this picture be the epitome of peace?

Yet, the judges unanimously awarded the first prize to the artist who painted the turbulent storm. While the results initially appeared to be appalling, the judges’ decision immediately became clear once you gave the winning canvas a closer look. Hidden in a crevice in the cliff is a family of eagles snug in their nest. The mother eagle faces the blustering winds, but her young chicks are oblivious to the storm and have dozed off under the shelter of her wings.

Now, that’s the kind of peace that Jesus gives to you and me! He gives us peace, security, covering and protection even in the midst of a storm. The psalmist describes this beautifully: “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty...He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge.”
 
This reminds me of the "eye of the storm" where it is amazingly still.

Lately, I have surrendered to the storm in my life, having to be a 24/7 caregiver for my husband as I watch him slowly deteriorate. At first I feared the storm, and it put my life in a complete tailspin. Big tornado! Black clouds everywhere.

Yet, when I finally just surrendered with a complete trust in God's presence in the midst of it, it was like I found the "eye" of inner peace. And the place where endurance is found.

No more trying to pray it away - no more trying to control things - no more trying to avoid it. As I accepted the presence of suffering, it was like moving into the eye of the storm - right into the calm.

How powerful is surrender.
 
I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but I think you're right.
Maybe haha People say in Australia, and I'm sure in other countries to that we live in a peaceful country. They say that in comparison to war torn countries but we as a people are far from peaceful. Because my comparison is of a different standard that I have encountered, the peace of Jesus.