Truth Revealed?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

greatblue

''Paul's experience with Christ is much different to that of Peter. The men had two separate ministries and, while we know them both to be faithful followers of Christ, we can see at least one account where they held to a different interpretation of the truth.''

Their experinces were different but the truth is still the truth..and Christ is the SAME Christ as He is to everyone else.
I mistakenly typed "different interpretation of the truth" when I meant scriptures; I wasn't trying to draw up a truth-discrepancy between Paul and Peter. I agree that Jesus is One to and for all; however, He is obviously more "the One" to some than to others. Some will be closer to knowing the truth of Christ than others, which is obviously relational. John, "whom Jesus loved", is the writer and witness of God's truth in Revelation. I'm not saying he was closer to the truth of Jesus than Peter or Paul, but it is obvious that he held to a different word of truth from the Spirit of God than they did.

There is a single truth that is given through one person, namely Jesus Christ, who alone knows the truth. John 4:24 "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." = Greatest Commandment & John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life.'" = Greatest Commandment.

Denominations bicker over little doctrinal truths which, if we're really honest, are more man-made ideas that verge on "religion" rather than the truth of the Holy Spirit. If Jesus hung the entire decalogue on His two greatest commandments, then surely our take on Calvinism and Arminianism is a moot point. Go out and preach, teach, and evangelize that God is sovereign and God is truth, Holy truth.

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
Scripture says we are not to lean on our own understanding. Also, it is not to be subject to any private interpretation. No matter how we want to understand or relate it to our OWN perception, understanding OR interpretation; it still simply is what it always was......the truth from God to us.

However we tend to define ourselves as to theological understanding, or to what religion we find best suits our perception or interpretation, scripture is as it always has been; God's Word to us.

To try to make it suit us, or our times or however else we eant to make it fit, WE must conform to IT, and not IT to us.

Jesus IS the way the truth and the life....therefore we seek HIM out to obtain that truth. We, therefore, discover it as it always was, not make it into something we want it to be.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I cannot claim to have any understanding of my own.
I know only that Jesus gives the understanding through the Holy Spirit according to His work in me, or for others as needed.
Most of the time, it is what Jesus works in me for His glory and the need.
Sometimes it is set on the heart to witness to, but I have found that when understanding is given to be witnessed to, it will stand in truth in the scripture given and understanding, they will not conflict.
But one must always keep in mind, that we walk by faith, not by sight, so yes, we all will fail and make mistakes.
For scripture says that God will bring all things to His good, He will correct us, and in our weaknesses, His power is made perfect.
If we hesitate to walk, because we are afraid we might make a mistake, or wonder if we act perfectly, then we will never walk.
We have to look to Jesus, and walk and work in faith, trusting Jesus will bring His truth, and that grace will cover us.
Because it is not us that recieve the glory, but Jesus's work in us that brings all glory to God!

God bless
pickles

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
''I cannot claim to have any understanding of my own.''

You are not required to study scripture?

''I know only that Jesus gives the understanding through the Holy Spirit according to His work in me, or for others as needed.''

God gave us His Word in the beginning. Jesus being that Word in the flesh. If it has been here from the beginning of creation is there nothing we can know of God or learn of God that He has not already given to us in His Word? Alot of our knowledge comes from Faith yes, but are we not required to DO and LEARN as we do as FAITH without works is dead?

''Sometimes it is set on the heart to witness to, but I have found that when understanding is given to be witnessed to, it will stand in truth in the scripture given and understanding, they will not conflict.''

So your understanding from God that He gives to you only at any point in your life, already lines up with the WORD He has already given to us ALL? So in saying this, if you receive ''understanding'' it has to line up with GOD's WORD which was ALREADY given? Does this not seem like we were given His Word ALREADY so that when we ARE presented with something we can know it is NOT our own or someone elses understanding? Paul already said this in 2 Timothy 3:16.

life4ever

Jan 16, 2011
At that time the disciples came to Jesus saying, Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven? Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes.
Matthew 18:1-7

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
Is there anything that can be brought of your post about the topic of the thread? In this Jesus speaking to His disciples about being as children?

Last edited:
A

AnandaHya

that we are to learn the Truth from God as little children, meekly with humble hearts and curious minds.

G

greatblue

Why is it that everyone can say they have been given the truth from the Holy Spirit (God), YET; each one of them are telling a different ''truth'' than the other? I.E. Christian Religions, Denominations etc.

How, then, can we ''verify'' which IS the truth?

And, if we can verify it; then what is the source of this verification process?

Either there is one single person who knows the truth as it is given from GOD, (because people claiming and telling different ''truths'' can't all be from God-as they claim revealed through the Holy Spirit)or, there is a SINGLE truth that is given and it is given to ALL of us.

As it relates; everyone can CLAIM the Holy Spirit has revealed something to them (in which God cannot LIE nor decieve). I.E. Revelation, Unction, etc.
I'm bringing it back to the OP for realignment and I don't know if I even discern a question; the post itself seems more rhetorical than anything else. But, I really see the first issue answered in the understanding and admission that as sinful man we will all deal with a multitude of incorrect postures, mainly pride. I see this here in discussions and often in myself. Everyone can claim to receive a word of understanding from God's spirit, and in their faith, believe it as truth. Ultimately for any of us that core truth is that we are saved, that our Father will call us faithful servant....even though we know we've missed the mark and fallen short. And I guess that is my round-about way of answering that first question: sin. Each school of thought, denomination (charismatic or reformed), etc., holds to a different truth because it has a mark of human pride upon it. There is no way to verify because even our verification will hinge on our pride.

T

Trax

Why is it that everyone can say they have been given the truth from the Holy Spirit (God), YET; each one of them are telling a different ''truth'' than the other? I.E. Christian Religions, Denominations etc.

Either there is one single person who knows the truth as it is given from GOD, (because people claiming and telling different ''truths'' can't all be from God-as they claim revealed through the Holy Spirit)or, there is a SINGLE truth that is given and it is given to ALL of us.

As it relates; everyone can CLAIM the Holy Spirit has revealed something to them (in which God cannot LIE nor decieve). I.E. Revelation, Unction, etc.

Three things cause error:

1. Not believing, or trusting what the Bible says
2. Not knowing who Jesus is.
3. Man made doctrines taking priority over God's word.

There are a lot of people, commiting all 3 error, yet say their way is the only true way.
To say our religion/church is the only true religion/church, well, you just broke #1 & #2.
If people are going to not trust God's word and not know Jesus, I have to ask, "why are
they even bothering?"

If you go to work for a company and not accept company policy and tell everyone the CEO
is the company janitor, you wont be employed there for long. Yet, the same mentality is
applied when it comes to what they believe to be true.

G

greatblue

Three things cause error:

1. Not believing, or trusting what the Bible says
2. Not knowing who Jesus is.
3. Man made doctrines taking priority over God's word.

There are a lot of people, commiting all 3 error, yet say their way is the only true way.
To say our religion/church is the only true religion/church, well, you just broke #1 & #2.
If people are going to not trust God's word and not know Jesus, I have to ask, "why are
they even bothering?"

If you go to work for a company and not accept company policy and tell everyone the CEO
is the company janitor, you wont be employed there for long. Yet, the same mentality is
applied when it comes to what they believe to be true.
I agree. And I don't see any specific order to any of these being more prevalent than another. I think we all experience these on a personal and corporate level. I once didn't attend a specific school because I couldn't sign their statement of faith. This was a matter of conviction and one I could not surrender my conscience to. This was of course interpretational and, while it remains a heavy divisional line among bodies of belief, it ultimately is inconsequential.

I remember the Elephant Room conference where MacDonald and Driscoll asked Laurie if he could sign their confession of faith for The Gospel Coalition. The three agreed that he probably could, or at least come close to being able to; however, Laurie is not part of that network. What is the dividing line that he sees within their framework of faith? Is it something that distinguishes either as lesser in the eyes of God? I think these are the inconsequential stances that we take, but say we are backed up by our interpretation being right according to the Spirit's work in us. Of course, when I say inconsequential I refer to anything that falls below the priority/importance of Christ's commandments and the daily process of confession, repentance, and His refinement of our inner man.

C

Consumed

hi mrT
we are all of one mind in the truth that Jesus, sent by Father God, died on the cross for us taking our just punishment according to Gods holiness and truth,set free, reconciled,sanctified then glorified. problems always start when religion gets into it and hence many war amongst themselves with doing everything contra to what Gods word says for us, to walk in His righteousnes and love (works) yet we can at times just defend denominational doctrine as "we have the truth" , be all aggressive and rude and then, wait for it, "im defending the truth" - wow

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
''I cannot claim to have any understanding of my own.''

You are not required to study scripture?

''I know only that Jesus gives the understanding through the Holy Spirit according to His work in me, or for others as needed.''

God gave us His Word in the beginning. Jesus being that Word in the flesh. If it has been here from the beginning of creation is there nothing we can know of God or learn of God that He has not already given to us in His Word? Alot of our knowledge comes from Faith yes, but are we not required to DO and LEARN as we do as FAITH without works is dead?

''Sometimes it is set on the heart to witness to, but I have found that when understanding is given to be witnessed to, it will stand in truth in the scripture given and understanding, they will not conflict.''

So your understanding from God that He gives to you only at any point in your life, already lines up with the WORD He has already given to us ALL? So in saying this, if you receive ''understanding'' it has to line up with GOD's WORD which was ALREADY given? Does this not seem like we were given His Word ALREADY so that when we ARE presented with something we can know it is NOT our own or someone elses understanding? Paul already said this in 2 Timothy 3:16.
MessingerT, :) first, please note that I do study scripture, on average three hours daily if not more.
As to the rest, I do not rely on my own understanding, but always that which is given in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh through the Holy Spirit.
If I were to refrance a scripture that best explains it, it would be from John.
For in Him everything that was made was made, and anything that was not, was not made.
Simply put, every work in me is done by Jesus, and to His glory!
For God is my potter, I am but clay.
I hope this clarifies.

God bless
pickles

Dec 19, 2009

None of us knows the whole truth yet: For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood (1 Cor 13:12 RSV).

A

Abiding

Im not ashamed to say...im still working on it.

J

jkalyna

THIS ONE WILL ONLY COME FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT (BIBLE) THE SPIRIT REVEALETH ALL THINGS.) I FOUND THAT IT'S THE BEAUTY OF THE RELATIONSHIP I HAVE WITH THE LORD. THE CLOSER I GET , THE MORE CLEARER I SEE HIM, AND KNOW HIM. :)

life4ever

Jan 16, 2011
As Jesus told Nicodemus, 'you must be born again.'
That which is born of flesh is flesh, and that which is born of Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel at this saying, the wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

Jesus said, "You must be born again, repent (change the way you think) for the Kingdom of God is here".