Truth

  • Thread starter Thread starter Siberian_Khatru
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Siberian_Khatru

Guest
Do you feel that honesty is always the best policy, no matter the circumstance(s)? Or is lying acceptable, even perfectly ethical, at times - and if so, in what type of situation(s) and why?
 
Do you feel that honesty is always the best policy, no matter the circumstance(s)? Or is lying acceptable, even perfectly ethical, at times - and if so, in what type of situation(s) and why?
lieing can be acceptable in some circumstances. Two come to mind at the moment.
#1 When Rahab lied about the whereabouts of the Isrealites in Jericho to save their lives.
# 2 when my wife asks how she looks in her new dress ,also to save my life .
Blessings
Bill
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch
Do you feel that honesty is always the best policy, no matter the circumstance(s)? Or is lying acceptable, even perfectly ethical, at times - and if so, in what type of situation(s) and why?
There are other choices.
-- Shut up. (Hard for me to do, but possible.)
-- Tact. (Also hard for me to do, but possible. :o)

I really don't lie. It used to be one of my sin areas, and God has gotten through to me to go with complete abstinence for a few decades now. (Remember, there are other choices besides lie or don't lie, as previously mentioned.)

Now I find myself at a crossroads with something most people would consider no big deal. But, since I was addicted to lying for so long, it is a big deal to me, and I don't know what to do. So, wouldn't mind help, if anyone can back up that help through God's word. (Personal opinion won't work on me.)

Hubby doesn't do phone calls. If he can find another way, he will. And he's pretty good at it, averaging maybe 5-7 phone calls per year. He particularly hates business related phone calls. (He's retired, so it's never about a business he works for.) And, above all else, anything to do with insurance.

So, he wanted to get a Medigap insurance for this year last November. My job to get him one. (My kind of thing, so no problem.) Except, it's a problem for Blue Cross. They had to speak to him. An hour later, the small phone call was over. (It never took me that long. They didn't know what they were doing so had him wait while they learned. Yeesh!) Now, he really never wants to talk to them.

Except, it's the new year, and every new year, they have to call to ask if I (now we) want a doctor to come to our house for an annual check up.

We neither want, nor need, such a silly thing. Except, they can't take my word for it, so even when I told them hubby didn't want it, (and I did ask him), they told me they'd call back because they have to talk to him. I even told them they could keep calling back, but he's never going to talk to him, but they still keep calling.

When people call and talk to me, they always call me, "sir." Apparently, they keep thinking I'm a man. Hubby is fine with me pretending I'm him and just telling them, but that's a lie.

So, yeah, I'm stuck with getting these annoying phone calls (ever since January, so who knows how long they keep calling, if they never get an answer, but it's averaging three calls a week), unless I lie to them.

You asked what kind of situation might make a difference? I'd love someone to give me a Biblical reason for if I should or shouldn't here.
 
lieing can be acceptable in some circumstances. Two come to mind at the moment.
#1 When Rahab lied about the whereabouts of the Isrealites in Jericho to save their lives.
# 2 when my wife asks how she looks in her new dress ,also to save my life .
Blessings
Bill
Repped - and liked, even though I don't use the button.

There are other choices.
-- Shut up. (Hard for me to do, but possible.)
-- Tact. (Also hard for me to do, but possible. :o)

I really don't lie. It used to be one of my sin areas, and God has gotten through to me to go with complete abstinence for a few decades now. (Remember, there are other choices besides lie or don't lie, as previously mentioned.)
This is my thread and those are the two choices I'm giving you. :p
 
In some way, shape, or form, I think we all evade or avoid stating the outright truth in some area or the other.
 
Discretion is an art. We all need more art lessons, sign me up.
 
I'm interested in you expounding, if you're game.

Well it's kinda hard to expound but I'll try since you ask.

1. Yes, I believe honesty is the best policy. Sometimes it can appear or feel hard to be honest I suppose, but I feel ultimately the truth is preferable. Truth ultimately wins out in the end. If I am honest and other people look down on me for being honest then at least I am still true to myself. If I can't be honest with myself then I have nothing. If am honest but am wrong about something then it is only ignorance and I can eventually gain the correction. If am honest and I am right about something then I gain the vindication of myself even if other people hate me for it.

2. Lying is not acceptable or ethical. Every sin started with a lie, which is the original sin. Lies are the power of the dragon's mouth. There is no situation in which it is acceptable to lie. Even if commanded by the king of the land to lie like Micaiah I will not be believed and will be adjured to tell the truth and will be punished by the wicked and unjust ones anyways whether I tell truth or lies.

There are so many lies that people don't even know the truth anymore, they cannot even tell when someone tells them the truth. So I might as well tell them truth, even tell them the truth of every great secret so that they will not believe and be condemned in their unbelief.
 


You asked what kind of situation might make a difference? I'd love someone to give me a Biblical reason for if I should or shouldn't here.

Hi Lynn, I might have a solution for you. I was a caretaker for my father-in-law.

When I had a problem with speaking for him because the insurance companies wanted to speak with him, all I had to do is to call them with him present. He gave permission for me to be his spokesperson and thereafter they would talk with me.

They took down my name and what relationship I had with my f-i-l and that took care of it. I hope that will help you as well.
 

Hi Lynn, I might have a solution for you. I was a caretaker for my father-in-law.

When I had a problem with speaking for him because the insurance companies wanted to speak with him, all I had to do is to call them with him present. He gave permission for me to be his spokesperson and thereafter they would talk with me.

They took down my name and what relationship I had with my f-i-l and that took care of it. I hope that will help you as well.
I try. Nope. They have to talk to him. (Funny. They had no problem talking to me, when I was the one making decisions for him.)
 
Well it's kinda hard to expound but I'll try since you ask.

1. Yes, I believe honesty is the best policy. Sometimes it can appear or feel hard to be honest I suppose, but I feel ultimately the truth is preferable. Truth ultimately wins out in the end. If I am honest and other people look down on me for being honest then at least I am still true to myself. If I can't be honest with myself then I have nothing. If am honest but am wrong about something then it is only ignorance and I can eventually gain the correction. If am honest and I am right about something then I gain the vindication of myself even if other people hate me for it.

2. Lying is not acceptable or ethical. Every sin started with a lie, which is the original sin. Lies are the power of the dragon's mouth. There is no situation in which it is acceptable to lie. Even if commanded by the king of the land to lie like Micaiah I will not be believed and will be adjured to tell the truth and will be punished by the wicked and unjust ones anyways whether I tell truth or lies.

There are so many lies that people don't even know the truth anymore, they cannot even tell when someone tells them the truth. So I might as well tell them truth, even tell them the truth of every great secret so that they will not believe and be condemned in their unbelief.
Thanks for that. :)
 
Do you feel that honesty is always the best policy, no matter the circumstance(s)? Or is lying acceptable, even perfectly ethical, at times - and if so, in what type of situation(s) and why?


Hey, SK.
How are you Brother?


Hmm, l think everyone has that "wow, your baby is cute" moment.
We all know that not every baby we say that about...is indeed... cute.


Yup, l said it.
You know what hurts?
The truth about our little lies. :(
 
Last edited:
put the phone on 'speaker' and be what you do best, 'intercessor' when necessary,
this would be fair for all sides...
 
Hey, SK.
How are you Brother?


Hmm, l think everyone has that "wow, your baby is cute" moment.
We all know that not every baby we say that about...is indeed... cute.


Yup, l said it.
You know what hurts?
The truth about our little lies. :(
I've never seen an ugly baby -- humans or animals. I even think all these are cute. (Minus the last one, but only because, ew, larva!)
[url]http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6760573/15-baby-animals-that-are-definitely-not-cute[/URL]
 
put the phone on 'speaker' and be what you do best, 'intercessor' when necessary,
this would be fair for all sides...
Then all they'd hear is John saying, "Hang up the phone. No. Really. Hang up the phone." lol