Two commonly-misquoted verses used by Christian self-help gurus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
How many times have you heard it: "Listen to that still small voice within." How often have Christians said the same thing referring to that still small voice as the voice of God? Where does this idea come from? Not from the scriptures, I know that much.

It seems to come from a verse in 1 Kings 19:12 as translated in the KJV and NKJV. I'll quote it here in context:

"So he [Elijah] arose, and ate and drank; and he went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights as far as Horeb, the mountain of God. And there he went into a cave, and spent the night in that place; and behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, 'What are you doing here, Elijah?' So he said, 'I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life.' Then He said, 'Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.' And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. So it was, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. Suddenly a voice came to him, and said, 'What are you doing here, Elijah?' " (NKJV)

Notice three things about this passage: 1) Elijah was in a cave; 2) He heard the still small voice; 3) After he heard the voice he went and stood at the entrance of the cave. It doesn't say the voice came from within Elijah, it came from outside the cave; that's why Elijah went to the entrance of the cave when he heard it.

Another commonly misquoted scripture used by Christian and non-Christian self-help gurus alike is Provers 29:18. The KJV is usually the most common version quoted. It says:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." (KJV)

They quote the first part but conveniently leave off the last. The "vision" spoken of here is prophetic utterance from the Law. Self-helpers and motivational speakers love to quote this as meaning we must look within ourselves and develop a vision for our lives. However, the only true visions we really need are external to us in the form of God's holy word.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I've noticed on Christian radio here, there is quite a strong focus on self help stuff.

Its 'kind of' scriptural in the way it is about God.. but it's very self development related rather than thinking on scripture.

An example would be like going on an 8 step program to build self recilience. Itll be all about the amazing speaker or teacher and their personal advice to you, with God being the motivation but not the driving force.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
How many times have you heard it: "Listen to that still small voice within." How often have Christians said the same thing referring to that still small voice as the voice of God? Where does this idea come from?
Perhaps it comes from the fact that the Holy Spirit dwells within us??? :unsure:

Buckle

Jun 3, 2016
People in history have audibly heard God, I know that answers have come forward in my mind that were the ones I would have chosen, which is like a still small voice. The key hear is not the hearing, but the checking/testing to make sure that which is suggested by said voice is in line with scripture. I have heard people talk about hearing a voice and know them I don't doubt them, but the voice suggested things that were not inline with scripture and so I said something. Don't listen just to any voice, whether in your head or outside it, just because it is a voice and seems supernatural. There are many enemies in the spiritual realms that would love nothing better than to deceive us. The bible calls us to test the spirits.

I will say there are way worse misuse of scriptures than these.