Unprofitable Servants

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
" So likewike ye, when ye have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." Luke 17:10

How do we apply this today? Are we to say this or something similar to it?

G

GtrPkr

When you work for something you truly want and desire you don't consider it a labor or a matter of discipline.

Jan 12, 2019
" So likewike ye, when ye have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." Luke 17:10

We are no longer servants, we are the sons of God. The story of David, Mephibosheth and Zibar will be a good illustration of the difference between servants and sons, in the eyes of God. 2nd Samuel 9.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014

You could say that you serve a purpose outside of your own, I see it this way , If He has to thank me for something i was built to do
that would suggest that i am separated from Him... For example, in the morning when i wake up and open my eyes to see, i don't say
"wow! thank you eyes for allowing me to see." like they should even have a choice in the matter to able disobey or deny me what is mine.
Christ referred to himself as the true vine and we are the branches. Branches on a vine are just mere extensions of the vine, no matter
where they stretch they still serve the vines purpose. Sometimes a branch can feel a bit too esteemed and forget that it's a part of the vine and start to seek credit.

It kind of reminds me of a quote from Lao Tzu.. "When the best leader's work is done the people say, 'We did it ourselves.'"

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I believe we are both servants, and sons and daughters of God. I believe when we read little, pray little, and basically to the bare minimum-then we are servants. When we are earnestly in the word and in prayer, then I believe we are acting as sons and daughters should.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019

Jesus does a great work in our hearts to bring us to maturity within.
We can get carried away and think we are worthy. It is always possible because when you
recognise a skill you have, the skill can become more important in ones own eyes than the
message, Jesus.

So we need to remain grounded and give all the honour and praise to Him who saved and
transformed us, because He alone is worthy, Amen.

10 ‘We are slaves undeserving of special praise; we have only done what was our duty.’
Luke 17

There is another aspect here, with regard to love. If we love only those we are expected to
love, how is this worthy of praise.

44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on
the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matt 5

Going beyond duty is loving ones enemies, which is being children of our Father

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

there are a number of other passages linked to this; here's one

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.
(Romans 12:3-5)

it tells me i should be humble, and understand that i am for others, not for myself.

'
take the lowest seat' -- it's better that God lift me up than it is He inform me that i've thought of myself as more than i really am - even if i do 10,000 good works, i should still say, i have nothing to boast of but His mercy towards me.

i don't believe this has lost any application today. the more vain and puffed up we get, the more important this is to take to heart.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

btw if you ever visit 'worthy christian forums' this is like, the one verse that they really don't want you to quote.

lol

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
if we are really His children then loving my enemy is my duty, ain't it? :)
Hi post,

Jesus is very subtle in how He presents issues. Duty is something you must do but
can do with a reluctant heart. You cannot reluctantly love your enemy as a duty.

To do this you have to start to accept some deep realities about ourselves, to explore
those things we hate within us, and come to terms with our failings. We need to resolve
that we are the worst of sinners, capable of every heinous act ever done by man, and yet
grace alone has saved us. So we have no right to judge any person over that which we
could so easily have walked into.

So our enemies are like the mirror of that which we despise in ourselves, and few get
close to knowing and walking here.

I read yesterday a member who expressed they despised what this individual stood for.
Little did they know they are condemning themselves and expressing the depth of hatred
they have for their own behaviour and weaknesses.

This is why judging others without a clean heart leads to ones own destruction.
And how does this all come about? Because we spend all our lives in our own heads, limited
by our view of the world and what dwells within. And when we start we know little of this
reality or palace of contradictions and delusions and contorted tensions that work to pull
us apart. God bless you

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
We are no longer servants, we are the sons of God. The story of David, Mephibosheth and Zibar will be a good illustration of the difference between servants and sons, in the eyes of God. 2nd Samuel 9.
hello Guojing are you a dispensationalist?? friend. can you tell me what 1 corinthians 6:9, galatians 5;19-21; ephesians 5:3-6;revelation 21:8 means? i think maybe it means you dont inherit the millennium what you think? what dispensationalist think of it? i ask in love not to spite or argue

Jan 12, 2019
hello Guojing are you a dispensationalist?? friend. can you tell me what 1 corinthians 6:9, galatians 5;19-21; ephesians 5:3-6;revelation 21:8 means? i think maybe it means you dont inherit the millennium what you think? what dispensationalist think of it? i ask in love not to spite or argue
The key to interpretation is what kingdom of God/Heaven means. If you interpret that as salvation, or actual heaven, then obviously you will then interpret those passages as it is possible for Christians to lose their salvation if they commit certain sins.

Is that how you interpret it?

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
The key to interpretation is what kingdom of God/Heaven means. If you interpret that as salvation, or actual heaven, then obviously you will then interpret those passages as it is possible for Christians to lose their salvation if they commit certain sins.

Is that how you interpret it?
i dont believe the sheep can lose their salvation i repented of that false gospel already and im daerly sorry for it. i didnt do it intentionally i believe God has forgiven me and i hope the brethren here will too.

i dont know how to interpret it, im asking for help. i used to interpret it as heaven, now im thinking maybe its the millennium kingdom? what you think friend?

Jan 12, 2019
i dont believe the sheep can lose their salvation i repented of that false gospel already and im daerly sorry for it. i didnt do it intentionally i believe God has forgiven me and i hope the brethren here will too.

i dont know how to interpret it, im asking for help. i used to interpret it as heaven, now im thinking maybe its the millennium kingdom? what you think friend?
For me, I think Luke 17:20-21 holds the key

"The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."

When you are born again, God sends His Holy Spirit to dwell on the inside of us. He makes us Sons and Heirs to His entire kingdom. In fact, we are co-heirs with Christ ( Romans 8:17 ), which means we have legal right to everything Jesus owns as His joint heir. Our inheritance depends on our position as a son of God. ( Romans 8:14-17, Galatians 4:6-7 ). We cannot lose this sonship or inheritance by what we do because it was a gift in the first place. In fact, the Holy Spirit is given to us as the deposit guaranteeing it. ( Ephesians 1:14 ).

The list of things Paul is talking about in Galatians 5 (Also I Corinthians 6:9-11, in which he says the same thing as Galatians 5:21) are characteristics of the unsaved, which will not inherited the Kingdom of God, because God does not dwell on the inside of them. Obviously these churches and the believers there struggled with these things so Paul simply reminded them that these things were uncharacteristic of who they were in Christ as children of God.

The remedy he gives in Galatians 5 is to walk after Spirit of God, who they were fashioned after in the first place ( Ephesians 4:24 ). If the things of the flesh are evident in our lives, then in the same way, the things of the Spirit are evident... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and self control. These things are part of the kingdom living inside of us and part of our new nature and our inheritance as children of God. They already exist, God's placed them there, we simply have to release them.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
For me, I think Luke 17:20-21 holds the key

"The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."

When you are born again, God sends His Holy Spirit to dwell on the inside of us. He makes us Sons and Heirs to His entire kingdom. In fact, we are co-heirs with Christ ( Romans 8:17 ), which means we have legal right to everything Jesus owns as His joint heir. Our inheritance depends on our position as a son of God. ( Romans 8:14-17, Galatians 4:6-7 ). We cannot lose this sonship or inheritance by what we do because it was a gift in the first place. In fact, the Holy Spirit is given to us as the deposit guaranteeing it. ( Ephesians 1:14 ).

The list of things Paul is talking about in Galatians 5 (Also I Corinthians 6:9-11, in which he says the same thing as Galatians 5:21) are characteristics of the unsaved, which will not inherited the Kingdom of God, because God does not dwell on the inside of them. Obviously these churches and the believers there struggled with these things so Paul simply reminded them that these things were uncharacteristic of who they were in Christ as children of God.

The remedy he gives in Galatians 5 is to walk after Spirit of God, who they were fashioned after in the first place ( Ephesians 4:24 ). If the things of the flesh are evident in our lives, then in the same way, the things of the Spirit are evident... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and self control. These things are part of the kingdom living inside of us and part of our new nature and our inheritance as children of God. They already exist, God's placed them there, we simply have to release them.
have you considered that maybe kingdom of God is different from kingdom of heaven? it says kingdom of God doesnt come with observation, but we know Jesus will return with clouds. right? thanks for the explanation brother i think i understand it now. praise Jesus. i believe God used you to talk to me.

Dec 12, 2013
I believe we are both servants, and sons and daughters of God. I believe when we read little, pray little, and basically to the bare minimum-then we are servants. When we are earnestly in the word and in prayer, then I believe we are acting as sons and daughters should.
AMEN.....we are called doulos <---bond servants and we have been bought with a price <---redeemed from among men as in BOUGHT BACK.......

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018

Well, if you work for a not-for-profit, its like charity. Its something God wants you to do. Its not done for personal gain, but out of love for others. Stay humble.