USA flag and church buildings

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
Is there a flag in your church building? Outside on a flagpole? On the platform where your pastor preaches?

My church does not have US flag anywhere on church property and I am glad. God before country. Plus it would be a distraction, especially if there was one on the platform.

What say you?

Feb 7, 2015
I don't think we even have any crosses around, let alone a flag.

U

Ugly

How is flying a flag putting the country before God? And what is distracting about a flag for the country you live in? Most churches I've been to had them and no one was ever distracted.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
We have two flags in our church. We have the stars and stripes on one side of the platform and the Christian flag on the other.

You might say we have both, Old Glory and New Glory.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Churches aren't allowed to be patriotic?
I didn't get the memo

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Do you go to church to be comfortable or do you go to church to be comforted?

How could one be uncomfortable with the US Flag? Without the freedom it represents we would be like other repressive states where Christians meet in secret and fear for their lives.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Feb 7, 2015
Roger said it all. The very fact that you live in America allows you to display a flag... of any kind you choose. (in most states, that is.... We are slowly losing those rights.)

Last edited:

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Daily Struggle 06102017100606.jpg

FlSnookman7

Jun 27, 2015
We have an American flag and a "Christian" flag ( white with a cross). As far as I know no one prays to either one.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Now that you mention it, I don't think i've ever seen a church with a flag on its premises. I don't know if there's a rule about it. Only thing I can think of is that a church is supposed to welcome all people no matter what country they're from (but I'm just guessing here..).

Feb 5, 2017
Well when people have American flags everywhere it's a reminder of the pride they have for their country.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Well when people have American flags everywhere it's a reminder of the pride they have for their country.

If people live in a country with freedoms to freely worship,
I can't see anything wrong with people showing appreciation for the country that gives them such freedoms.
This seems well within any definition of reasonable.

Nonetheless, I'm really ambivalent about the whole "flags in church" thing.
It makes no difference to me, and seems like a non issue.

For those of us who are believers, it might be a time to point to Paul's discussions of "liberty in christ",
and remember that it's alright for us to do certain things differently.
Every little thing we view differently isn't necessarily a big deal.

Amberlight

Oct 8, 2016
If people live in a country with freedoms to freely worship,
I can't see anything wrong with people showing appreciation for the country that gives them such freedoms.
This seems well within any definition of reasonable.

Nonetheless, I'm really ambivalent about the whole "flags in church" thing.
It makes no difference to me, and seems like a non issue.

For those of us who are believers, it might be a time to point to Paul's discussions of "liberty in christ",
and remember that it's alright for us to do certain things differently.
Every little thing we view differently isn't necessarily a big deal.
Flags are nationalism.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Who said it is sin ? is it ?

You stated that flags equal nationalism, as if to imply there is something wrong with that.

Why don't you clarify your point of view.

Then we'll all know, clearly, whatever it is you meant.

Amberlight

Oct 8, 2016
You stated that flags equal nationalism, as if to imply there is something wrong with that.

Why don't you clarify your point of view.

Then we'll all know, clearly, whatever it is you meant.
Flags are not nationalism ?
Stating a simple fact ? is implying something ?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Flags are not nationalism ?
Stating a simple fact ? is implying something ?
Now you want to pretend you came into this forum,
and interjected very particular "facts" about a very particular topic,
and you had ABSOLUTELY NO POINT to make at all... about anything?

You had no point to make, and you weren't implying anything at all, in any way, about any thing?
Seriously?

Although we both know this is nonsense, and you're just unwilling to admit your stance...
I'll play along.

I'll play along with your denials; here you go:
If you say flags are "nationalism"... but then say nationalism doesn't really mean anything in particular, and you had no point to make, and no opinion about it... then your post is meaningless and pointless.
If nationalism means nothing to you, and you had no point to make, then your post was meaningless, and it was about nothing.
Please don't clutter this thread with irrelevant, meaningless facts about nothing.

Last edited:
S

Susanna

Flag, now that's a word rhyming with a word that definitely is a sin. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Flying the American Flag does not distract from welcoming peoples of all Nations........I have seen many Churches with the Flag flying outside.....but the Christian Flag is always there too. And, if not outside, then inside.......

Simple Motto, belief here where I live......God, Family, Country......I do not see how anyone could be distracted by a Flag being in the Sanctuary?

Now that you mention it, I don't think i've ever seen a church with a flag on its premises. I don't know if there's a rule about it. Only thing I can think of is that a church is supposed to welcome all people no matter what country they're from (but I'm just guessing here..).