Utah school throws out lunches of students with unpaid bills.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 9, 2012
That's just unethical in every sense of the word. Glad the situation is being taken care of. If I had a child there, I know I would have been furious.

G

Grey

You can't pay for it, therefore we will waste it. So much sense made???

A

AgeofKnowledge

Their first economics lesson: if you don't have the money to buy it, you can't have it. Lol.

I grew up poor and used to have to trade a ticket the state gave to the orphanage I was in (which handed them out to us kids in the morning before the school bus arrived) to the lunch counter lady at the register before I could eat lunch. They never had enough to go around so I often didn't eat lunch.

What I learned from that was to make friends with kids whose parents had money and to ask their parents if they needed their cars washed, lawns cut, etc... and ended up quite the little entrepreneur doing even trade jobs by the time I was in high school like laying tile and whatnot with even more money to spend than their lazy kids.

I didn't sit around and cry about the humiliation of it. Boo hoo poor me. I turned it into a positive and it put money in my pocket all the way until I graduated high school and joined the military.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
I think it is shameful to do that to kids in front of other kids. As bad as bullying is, do school personnel really have to add to it? Is it the child's fault that their parents do not have money, that bills have gone unpaid, that they are lax in finances? Shameful. We live in a time when we truly harm our children greatly because compassion has died due to entitlement and the abortion rights given to people.

K

kayem77

That was definitely not the way to deal with that situation. Whatever happened to mercy....

A

AgeofKnowledge

I disagree with all of you. I think it's a good life lesson. You're not a victim. You're not entitled. Grow up and learn to deal with it.

J

jimmydiggs

I disagree with all of you. I think it's a good life lesson. You're not a victim. You're not entitled. Grow up and learn to deal with it.
No, we're not entitled nor are they. Yet, let us not be malthusian and adopt some mercy, charity, and grace.

K

kayem77

I hate to say this but, WWJD? I don't see how doing an act of mercy and grace is wrong. If we are able to do good to those less fortunate, by all means do it. Lets not fall into the error of seeing charity as enabling, when the Bible clearly teaches to do eactly that, charity. Neither of us are entitled to anything, not even salvation, yet God saved us.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
the situation could have been handled better, but it was a good lesson. pay your bills. not saying not to have mercy, but the young generation needs to taught as Paul said: if a man will not work, he will not eat.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Exactly. .

the situation could have been handled better, but it was a good lesson. pay your bills. not saying not to have mercy, but the young generation needs to taught as Paul said: if a man will not work, he will not eat.

A

AgeofKnowledge

It's a lesson to pay your bills and not to continue taking goods and services from other people without paying for them. Now, that said, I'm not saying they went about it the right way. They should have used wisdom. When I say I disagree with all of you, I mean in the sense that the children need to learn they can't just take from others without paying for what they take. Of course I agree with you that it should have been handled differently.

And when I say we're not victims what I mean is we're not victims unless we are truly victimized. The kids had one lunch trash canned by the school.

I don't think that equates to an adult being imprisoned for a year and pushed into bankruptcy court with his family for not baking a cake for a homosexual pride event. I don't think that equates to the holocaust. Just saying!

There's always dinner... lol.

K

kayem77

I hate to say this but, WWJD? I don't see how doing an act of mercy and grace is wrong. If we are able to do good to those less fortunate, by all means do it. Lets not fall into the error of seeing charity as enabling, when the Bible clearly teaches to do eactly that, charity. Neither of us are entitled to anything, not even salvation, yet God saved us.
Ok I just realized that I totally posted this on the wrong thread. I thought this was the thread about the man who paid the lunch bill for kids at a school. My mistake.

I still think this was handled the wrong way though.

May 9, 2012
Yes, because kids should be allowed to starve because their parents can't afford to pay the lunch bill. Makes PERFECT sense...you've got to be joking. -_-

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Yes, because kids should be allowed to starve
The students whose lunches were thrown out were given milk and fruit, a standard practice when students don't have lunch money.
because their parents can't afford to pay the lunch bill.
The school is located in a middle-class neighborhood
I honestly have mixed feelings when I see this sort of thing. Should the school have thrown out the food after the kids went through the line? Probably not since one way or the other the money was spent to make the food. If this was the inner city I could understand the outrage, however this was a middle class neighborhood. This wasn't a situation where the parents couldn't afford to pay the lunch bill, but just didn't pay it. In my opinion the outrage should be pointed at the parents who didn't pay their child's lunch bill rather than the school district that decided to not provide a service to children who's parents didn't pay the bill.

May 9, 2012
I honestly have mixed feelings when I see this sort of thing. Should the school have thrown out the food after the kids went through the line? Probably not since one way or the other the money was spent to make the food. If this was the inner city I could understand the outrage, however this was a middle class neighborhood. This wasn't a situation where the parents couldn't afford to pay the lunch bill, but just didn't pay it. In my opinion the outrage should be pointed at the parents who didn't pay their child's lunch bill rather than the school district that decided to not provide a service to children who's parents didn't pay the bill.

My wording was wrong about the parents not paying the lunch bill. I should have just said that kids shouldn't have to suffer because the parents didn't pay the lunch bill.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I understand that no one wants to see a child suffer, but at the same time it is the parent's responsibility if the child is suffering. If I as a parent (I'm not, just making an example) choose to not pay my electric bill, my children will suffer without lights, heat, etc. If I chose to not pay my mortgage/rent, my children will suffer being homeless.

Should the electric company, bank, or landlord be demonized because of a parent's bad decisions? Absolutely not IMO, nor should the taxpayers (school district) be demonized.

A child always reaps the benefits of it's parent's good decisions and suffers from it's parent's bad decisions. Outside of the government setting extremely tight laws about parenting and making children a ward of the state if parents don't/can't comply we will always see children suffer and believe me, you don't want to give the government that type of free reign.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
in my day. you had to pay before you got the food. no pay no going though the line getting food.