Verse for "once saved always saved"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Reiterating the purpose of this thread: Is there a verse that clearly teaches "once saved always saved"?

If you think there is such a verse, please post it here and we can discuss its meaning. We might not agree, but iron sharpens iron and we can learn from one another.

I am not asking for general arguments for or against OSAS, but asking for specific verses that clearly state OSAS. It is better not to post 10 verses at a time: we can't discuss all of them at one time anyway.

If you think the Bible teaches OSAS, what is the verse that teaches and says it clearly and unambiguously?

valiant

Mar 22, 2015
Reiterating the purpose of this thread: Is there a verse that clearly teaches "once saved always saved"?

If you think there is such a verse, please post it here and we can discuss its meaning. We might not agree, but iron sharpens iron and we can learn from one another.

I am not asking for general arguments for or against OSAS, but asking for specific verses that clearly state OSAS. It is better not to post 10 verses at a time: we can't discuss all of them at one time anyway.

If you think the Bible teaches OSAS, what is the verse that teaches and says it clearly and unambiguously?
Phil 1.6. He who has begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ

valiant

Mar 22, 2015

1 Corinthians .8-9. He will also confirm you to the end that you may be blameless in the day our Lord Jesus Christ. GOD IS FAITHFUL through Whom you were called into fellowship with His Son Jesus Christ.,

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
I also think John 6:39 tells us once we are saved the Father will keep us.

39 "And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall lose none of those He has given Me, but raise them up at the last day."

I understand your POV, I also struggled with the whole "free will thing" too. Once God's total sovereignty sunk in, along with learning more about this "gospel of the kingdom" Jesus spoke so much about, it all clicked and fit's together so tight, almost like truth, but I do believe once you're saved He will complete His work in you.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Phil 1.6. He who has begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
I cut and pasted Philippians 1:6,7 below: It seems to me that verse 6 is saying that Paul is confident that the Philippians will go on and mature in their Christian walk (because God is doing the work in them). Verse 7 states why he has this confidence - "it is meet for me to think this of you all because . . . " His confidence (that God will keep working in them) is actually based in their actions and works.

So these verses show that when a person is faithfully serving the Lord, this gives a basis that we can know that God will continue to work in their lives. Praise the Lord!

[SUP]6 [/SUP]Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: [SUP]7 [/SUP]Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.

Now if a person believes the Bible teaches OSAS, I can see why you might use this verse as a prooftext. But does the verse actually say that all people that experience salvation will never lose that salvation?

E

eternally-gratefull

I cut and pasted Philippians 1:6,7 below: It seems to me that verse 6 is saying that Paul is confident that the Philippians will go on and mature in their Christian walk (because God is doing the work in them). Verse 7 states why he has this confidence - "it is meet for me to think this of you all because . . . " His confidence (that God will keep working in them) is actually based in their actions and works.

So these verses show that when a person is faithfully serving the Lord, this gives a basis that we can know that God will continue to work in their lives. Praise the Lord!

[SUP]6 [/SUP]Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:[SUP]7 [/SUP]Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.

Now if a person believes the Bible teaches OSAS, I can see why you might use this verse as a prooftext. But does the verse actually say that all people that experience salvation will never lose that salvation?

What was the good thing God started in them. What did paul mean when he they were partakers of grace, is this not salvation?

How many passages do you have to be shown before you realise your fighting a losing battle?

Dec 28, 2016
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:[SUP]7 [/SUP]Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.
Now if a person believes the Bible teaches OSAS, I can see why you might use this verse as a prooftext.

Yes, it and many other passages prove the perseverance of the Saints.
But does the verse actually say that all people that experience salvation will never lose that salvation?
It would be absurd that only some could not possibly lose the salvation granted them, while others could. These Scriptures are for our comfort, no one saved loses salvation.

Dec 28, 2016
If you think about it, Philippians 1:6 actually speaks against the notorious "one time salvation event" where a person professed Christ years ago, and points to this event as proof of conversion while not serving God, out of church, bearing no fruit, denying evidence of conversion. (Several on here deny evidence of conversion in their false gospel message, typically coming from a FGT camp and it is a saddening and troubling problem).

The passage refutes this misnomer of a "one time event as proof of salvation" as the work of God, sanctification, perseverance &c will continue as stated in the life of a true convert.

Chester

May 23, 2016
What was the good thing God started in them. What did paul mean when he they were partakers of grace, is this not salvation?

How many passages do you have to be shown before you realise your fighting a losing battle?
LOL! I have not been yet show a single passage that clearly states that once any person is saved they are guaranteed that they will always be saved.

Dec 28, 2016
I have not been yet show a single passage that clearly states that once any person is saved they are guaranteed that they will always be saved.
That's because you argue against the Word of God with your hypotheticals when you're shown this truth. The passages given you are perfectly clear, perhaps you don't want to see it?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
LOL! I have not been yet show a single passage that clearly states that once any person is saved they are guaranteed that they will always be saved.
Ephesians 1:13 - In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

2 Corinthians 1:22 - set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

2 Corinthians 5:5 - Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Yes, it and many other passages prove the perseverance of the Saints.
It would be absurd that only some could not possibly lose the salvation granted them, while others could. These Scriptures are for our comfort, no one saved loses salvation. [/LEFT]
I stick by what I said about Philippians 1:6: It does not clearly state that all people that are saved will be always be saved. If you come to the verse with that premise, you can use if to "prove" your premise.

I am looking for a verse that states the fact of "once saved always saved" clearly and unambiguously:

Example: Eph 2:8 - "for by grace are ye saved through faith, not of works, . . ." This Scripture says we are saved by grace through faith and we are not saved by works. You can't argue what the text says (don't know why anyone would want to . . . LOL!) Is there such a text for "once saved always saved"?

Dec 28, 2016
I stick by what I said about Philippians 1:6: It does not clearly state that all people that are saved will be always be saved.
Actually it states it perfectly clear. In fact it's dogmatic in its assertion. You're showing doubt, the passage conveys no doubt as to its meaning.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I’m still looking for a verse that specifically says a really “saved” person really “lost their salvation.”

Chester

May 23, 2016
That's because you argue against the Word of God with your hypotheticals when you're shown this truth. The passages given you are perfectly clear, perhaps you don't want to see it?
LOL - :p I would say this statement you made earlier here is a "hypothetical": "It would be absurd that only some could not possibly lose the salvation granted them." I might actually agree with that statement, but it is still "hypothetical."

hypothetical = assumed by hypothesis; supposed: [SUB][/SUB]

Chester

May 23, 2016
I’m still looking for a verse that specifically says a really “saved” person really “lost their salvation.”
Good topic: I think you should start a different thread to see if anyone can give you one. In this thread I am not trying to "prove" non-OSAS. I am just trying to find if OSAS is a doctrine coming from direct interpretation of a specific Scripture verse(s) or if it comes from an overall understanding of Scripture.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Actually it states it perfectly clear. In fact it's dogmatic in its assertion. You're showing doubt, the passage conveys no doubt as to its meaning.
Are you saying that when Paul wrote Philippians 1:6, his intent was to clearly give the doctrine that once any person is truly saved that they will always be saved? Is that what the correct interpretation of Philippians 1:6 is?

Dec 9, 2011
Despite years of Bible study and talking to many people, I have not yet had anyone show me a verse that clearly says "once saved, always saved?" Is there such a verse in the Bible, or is the doctrine of eternal security a conclusion from study of Scriptural themes and principles?
I would say It's a conclusion of the principles of the scriptures.

line upon line,here a little,there a little.

For Instance,would you agree that GOD's promises are true once and for all or would you agree that we help with the already finished work of CHRIST?

For GOD SO loved the world that HE gave HIS only begotten SON THAT who so ever BELIEVES In HIM should not perish but HAVE Eternal Life.

Man would have had to be perfect on the Inside and Only one person was perfect,JESUS.

E

eternally-gratefull

You have that wrong, You have not been shown a verse where you INTERPRET it to say that. You have bbeen shown many verses which do say it, you just do not believe it.

Juyst because you do not see it, does not mean it is not there. If you do not want to find somethbing, you will not find it, even if it stairs you in the face

DJ2

Apr 15, 2017
What is being overlooked in all these pro-OSAS scriptures is that they only prove that Christians are guaranteed salvation but not that Christians are guaranteed to stay Christian. There are simply too many scriptures that speak of apostasy to assume that apostasy does not exist.