Virginia pastor who defiantly held church service dies of coronavirus

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
An evangelical pastor has reportedly died of COVID-19 just weeks after attending a packed service at his Virginia church and vowed to keep preaching saying “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

An evangelical pastor has reportedly died of COVID-19 just weeks after attending a packed service at his Virginia church and vowed to keep preaching saying “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.” According to the New York Post, In his last known in-person service on March 22, Bishop Gerald O.
Glenn got his congregation at Richmond’s New Deliverance Evangelistic Church to stand to prove how many were there despite warnings against gatherings of more than 10 people. “I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus”.

You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church. The Bishop announced he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

“I am essential,” he said of remaining open, adding, “I’m a preacher — I talk to God!” This past Sunday, his church sadly announced “with an exceedingly sorrowful and heavy heart” that the pastor had died a week after being diagnosed with COVID-19. His wife, Marcietia Glenn, is also sick with the bug, with church members offering their prayers.

E

EleventhHour

An evangelical pastor has reportedly died of COVID-19 just weeks after attending a packed service at his Virginia church and vowed to keep preaching saying “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

An evangelical pastor has reportedly died of COVID-19 just weeks after attending a packed service at his Virginia church and vowed to keep preaching saying “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.” According to the New York Post, In his last known in-person service on March 22, Bishop Gerald O.
Glenn got his congregation at Richmond’s New Deliverance Evangelistic Church to stand to prove how many were there despite warnings against gatherings of more than 10 people. “I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus”.

You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church. The Bishop announced he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

“I am essential,” he said of remaining open, adding, “I’m a preacher — I talk to God!” This past Sunday, his church sadly announced “with an exceedingly sorrowful and heavy heart” that the pastor had died a week after being diagnosed with COVID-19. His wife, Marcietia Glenn, is also sick with the bug, with church members offering their prayers.

Not surprised

One infected attendant at church in South Korea sparked a second wave of death that took weeks to over come.

But then of course some think this is just a cold and a hoax.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Should have read his bible.

Mt 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Pr 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Great testimony for the Lord well maybe not.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sometimes I think evangelicals shoot themselves in the foot. People that go round saying 'my church' bla bla bla when its really Jesus church.
Jesus wasnt that keen on people taking vows either. If you take a vow you need to pay it. Thats why married folk often have to eat their words too and get a divorce because they arent prepared until death (theirs or their spouses) to part from their spouse.

I am horrifed at peoples reckless words. Its like people dont even take anything seriously anymore and then play round with other peoples lives.

Jul 23, 2018
I watched a few of his utube vids.

I found this in the comments

""His last sermon was held the day before the governor of the state declared their "10 people max" law. Which means that he, nor any other member of the church, did not violate any law on that particular sunday. Also, there are no articles that state what his responce to the governors law was.""

Nothing imo has been verified about this supposed "stupid" man.

I find it kinda sick that brothers in the lord side with the world and the devil.

That delivers would bow to the world and a devil infested sickness demon virus.
And RALLEY with the enemy to hope for more cowering to a punk virus puny little devil running over believers.
A little punk that has believers cowering and pointing at a man of God that went down swinging.

Got a news flash for all of you.

The devil KILLED ALL THE APOSTLES BUT JOHN.
They all went down swinging.

Jul 23, 2018
What other truths are made invalid after a demon gets through the ranks and kills some evangelist? Some healer?
Some teacher?
Are they stupid also?
Should they "obey the law"and live?
Did they tempt God?

They were warriors.
They broke mans laws.
You CAN NOT SHUT UP A REAL MAN OF GOD.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
What other truths are made invalid after a demon gets through the ranks and kills some evangelist? Some healer?
Some teacher?
Are they stupid also?
Should they "obey the law"and live?
Did they tempt God?

They were warriors.
They broke mans laws.
Scripture says that laws are not a terror to good works. A good pastor knows he is to protect the sheep not expose them to harm.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

7seasrekeyed

sadly though, he did state he would keep on preaching until he was in jail or until he was in the hospital

he also stated that he believed God was 'bigger than the virus'

he also said he was 'essential' and he was a preacher and 'talked to God,

he also said people were healed in his church

article according the New York Post

well it appears you can, but I have no idea what kind of pastor he was. he may have caused some to doubt with his actions and words.

I think a better solution was offered for people to sit in attendance in their cars and listen that way if they thought they had to all be together in one place

people make choices and people sometimes make choices that reflect on others

Jesus actually said to not break the laws....so what about that?

people in leadership lead by example

I don't think this was a good example, but no need to call names

people are getting fed up though...demonstrations beginning

Aug 10, 2019
Canada

This life isn't the end, and he wasn't wrong...God is bigger than this, or any other virus.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
esus actually said to not break the laws....so what about that?
Since we do not know FOR A FACT if he broke any laws (and many churches have been holding services while taking necessary precautions, (while being targeted by Democratic mayors and governors) what should be really at the forefront of this news article (and was found further down in the Miami Herald) is this:

PRE-EXISTING HEALTH CONDITIONS MAKE PEOPLE SUSCEPTIBLE
The bishop initially did not seek medical treatment because of preexisting conditions that gave him symptoms similar to COVID-19, Crawley told WTVR.
“He has diverticulitis, so it’s not uncommon for him to get fevers or, you know, virus or sinus infection,” Crawley told WTVR. “I just beg people to understand the severity and the seriousness of this, because people are saying it’s not just about us, it’s about everyone around us.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241987921.html#storylink=cpy

Furthermore, people should know that NYU researchers discovered that those who were obese or elderly were more prone to be hospitalized.

Also people under 20 are generally not being infected. This is what they found in China: Only 8.1% of cases were 20-somethings, 1.2% were teens, and 0.9% were 9 or younger.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Scripture says that laws are not a terror to good works. A good pastor knows he is to protect the sheep not expose them to harm.
Interesting point. Because many argue as the home-prison edicts *are* a terror to good works (e.g. going to church, assisting the sick, burying the dead etc.), not to mention being unconstitutional (read illegal), that they are no laws at all.

Jul 23, 2018
sadly though, he did state he would keep on preaching until he was in jail or until he was in the hospital

well it appears you can, but I have no idea what kind of pastor he was. he may have caused some to doubt with his actions and words.

I think a better solution was offered for people to sit in attendance in their cars and listen that way if they thought they had to all be together in one place

Agreed.
The devil did shut up the apostles and Jesus.
And millions during the gt,,,as well as the two witnesses.

Maybe you can shut up a real man of God.

Maybe there is a true measure of man.....faith maybe?

Is the wisdom we can glean from a man of faith measured by his conservative complacent use of a "safe position" or should he "bet the farm" on Gods promises, and ,as the word of God demonstrates, trust God?

All the great men of God chose the faith route.

Jul 23, 2018
Interesting point. Because many argue as the home-prison edicts *are* a terror to good works (e.g. going to church, assisting the sick, burying the dead etc.), not to mention being unconstitutional (read illegal), that they are no laws at all.
exactly

Interseting dilema we have here.

Now the boys can sit back and watch the men of God fight the fight of faith.

Christians afraid of corona.

Rightly so i guess.

It takes an investment of faith to stand and REFUSE TO BOW to a corona punk demon.

I invest in the faith dimension. Therefore I do not fear corona.
The pastor that died did not fear corona.
That is commendable.
The boys get weeded out in the Goliath dimension.

Then they ,in their confusion,stand with Goliath's parents and weep over his death.

Now we see the confusion of those anti faith people.

Jul 23, 2018

All the apostles and Jesus broke laws.
The devil killed them in their breaking of Laws.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
exactly

Interseting dilema we have here.

Now the boys can sit back and watch the men of God fight the fight of faith.

Christians afraid of corona.

Rightly so i guess.

It takes an investment of faith to stand and REFUSE TO BOW to a corona punk demon.
I doubt there is even any corona punk demon. It's all an illusion/image, to make people fear and worship the image.

If the story of the pastor were true (which I doubt), it's likely the CIA or similar crooks offed him and chalked him up as a coronavirus victim to keep the masses in their state of awe/worship/fear.

Jul 23, 2018
Not surprised

One infected attendant at church in South Korea sparked a second wave of death that took weeks to over come.

But then of course some think this is just a cold and a hoax.
The devil can look real impressive.
Becase of weak men of God,the hebrews wondered for 40nyears over a lack of faith.

Faith is NEVER IMPRESSED with the devil.
NEVER,

Corona impresses the weak members of the church.
It is so big it can shut down ALL CHURCHES and have believers cower in a brick and 2x4 prison. praying they will not have an encouter.

IOW.....IT IS BIGGER THAN GODS POWER!!!!!
Now we have a demon bigger than God himself.
Maybe God is afraid of it?

What a dilemma
My God is like an elephant squashing a corona chihuahua.

The churches God is an elephant being squashed by a huge dinosaur corona demon.
"close it down,close it down,run for your life"

Enter the man of God
"what are you afraid of?"
That corona demon? (points to a mouse masquerading as an dinosaur)

The illusion of the faithless is strong my friend.
The faithless live in a make believe world running from a mere mouse. terrified.

Wow,just wow.

Thank God i was exposed to real faith.

Jul 23, 2018
but,but LOOKY AT THE PASTOR...THE STUPID PASTOR.

MAN OF FAITH..."what about it?"

"He died so faith does not work...faith is a joke. His faith was so stupid and wrong"

man of faith ...."then raise him from the dead...what is wrong with you"?

Jul 23, 2018
Man of faith ..."THE DEVIL NEVER WINS"

NEVER
EVER
EVER
EVER
EVER

Jul 23, 2018
I doubt there is even any corona punk demon. It's all an illusion/image, to make people fear and worship the image.

If the story of the pastor were true (which I doubt), it's likely the CIA or similar crooks offed him and chalked him up as a coronavirus victim to keep the masses in their state of awe/worship/fear.
Hmmm..interesting and plausable

corona is bio warfare.
It was discovered that fauci under the obama administration was banned from corona research in the usa.
They moved it to china.
they also gave over 2 million of our tax dollars to china to help the process along. the research involved bats and pigs.

It was/is demon driven and executed to stop trump.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
This life isn't the end, and he wasn't wrong...God is bigger than this, or any other virus.
True, God is bigger than virus or anything, but people think God Will protect him from virus, and If not than people think he is liar, or God smaller than virus.

The best thing to do If he say, God is bigger and stronger than anything, He is able to protect us from virus, but we don't know His perfect Will. If he permit us die from virus than It Will be the best for us. If He decide to protect us from virus, than He want us to work for Him, anyway live is Christ die is gain