Visualization in Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
what other parts of the Bible do i need to delete in order to believe you?
Paul quotes like 15 OT books to demonstrate that you are evil.
o i guess those are all Jewish.
do you hyperdispensationalists believe any of the Bible at all?
I'm the one that keeps harping on that ALL the bible is for us . ALL 66 books . Every single verse . In context.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
get rid of Romans, you say lol
what other parts of the Bible do i need to delete in order to believe your theology?
Paul quotes like 15 OT books to demonstrate that you are evil.
o i guess those are all Jewish.
do you hyperdispensationalists believe any of the Bible at all?
Isn't a hyper a mid to end of Acts/ , no baptism , no communion ect ?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i forgot, i was already done.

please disregard the last 3 or 5 posts, they're superfluous

Mar 23, 2021
What has been done on this site that is so truly terrible is to try to limit our prayers, so any image suggested by scripture is labelled new age, mysticism, or the occult.
I do agree with you. I have only recently joined this forum, and I admit to being shocked when I read certain posts. There seems to be no heart, no spirit, no understanding, no Jesus.

(Edited to say that I have just read #138 - relief beyond belief!)

B

Blackpowderduelist

I really don't see anything spiritually wrong of forming a picture of God in your mind when you are praying to Him. This is what I do. To me, the image of God is not imaginary. Even Jesus, had a human form. Still does because God said "Let us make man in our own image and likeness". Now, I don't claim at all to know what Jesus looks like but I do know that I know Him when I see Him in my thoughts. Regarding prayer, I try to form an image in my mind exactly what it is that I am praying for. Otherwise, it is, like it has been said, merely rote. Prayer without thought is prayer without any substance and will be returned void.
We have the description in revelation of Jesus. Look when I pray sure I can picture someone who I am praying for or what ever, but I caution against using to much imagination, like trying to picture them changing is some way.
However when you consider God saying, don't make images and do not bow down to them, I think we find ourselves in danger attempting to create an image of God even in our imagination. Comparatively we have Jesus saying for example do commit adultery, but who ever looks on a woman and lusts has already committed adultery. So we take caution not to look at women inappropriately, or too long, or any other way that couldd lead us to think inappropriately when looking at her.
If we apply the same concept to, do not make any images and do not bow down to them, then I think you find yourself in dangerous territory attempting to form an image of God in our imagination, especially when praying. Because now you are bowed down to the image you have created in your imagination. Not that we don't, when reading some descriptive passage, have an image in our mind of what is being described.
The point is the command of God. So while we aren't under a mandate of the ten commandments, they do inform us of what sin is, and where the dangers are.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Us TODAY regardless if we are Jew or Gentile should read the four gospels in context . Let's face facts we don't come into the picture until Acts 10 .
There were more than 1,500 years that the world consisted on only either gentiles or Nephilm, and for another 400 years after the flood before God created the Hebrew race. It was another about a thousand years before the people of Judah were called Jews.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
We have the description in revelation of Jesus. Look when I pray sure I can picture someone who I am praying for or what ever, but I caution against using to much imagination, like trying to picture them changing is some way.
However when you consider God saying, don't make images and do not bow down to them, I think we find ourselves in danger attempting to create an image of God even in our imagination. Comparatively we have Jesus saying for example do commit adultery, but who ever looks on a woman and lusts has already committed adultery. So we take caution not to look at women inappropriately, or too long, or any other way that couldd lead us to think inappropriately when looking at her.
If we apply the same concept to, do not make any images and do not bow down to them, then I think you find yourself in dangerous territory attempting to form an image of God in our imagination, especially when praying. Because now you are bowed down to the image you have created in your imagination. Not that we don't, when reading some descriptive passage, have an image in our mind of what is being described.
The point is the command of God. So while we aren't under a mandate of the ten commandments, they do inform us of what sin is, and where the dangers are.
I agree. Every bit of our being---our understanding, our pictures, all of us---needs to be a striving for truth. At our best we see darkly, we must do our best.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
OK, so witchcraft and the occult is only evil to the one who deems it evil because they are evil?
Next time, try to properly quote God's Word, otherwise cut and paste, lest you fall into the same error as the serpent...

Romans 14:14 (KJV) I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Great verse! Thank you very much.:):coffee:

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Then maby we have different understanding about that what the term visualization means.
Lets find out by looking in the dictionary...

Visualization: The forming of a mental image.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I've covered this numerous times . These are exceptions . ' Programmatically Jesus is not sent to the Gentiles .
That is severely messed up. I tell you this because I love you.

John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
You seem ignorant of Jesus words here ? Mat 10
5¶These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
7And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
8Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
Mat 15
24¶But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Acts 11 .
19¶Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the JEWS ONLY .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

John
Yes his death was for the sins of the world . But programmatically his mission is to Jews only , We only come in after their rejection ( He came to his own ....)

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

John
Could you give me your thoughts on this verse please?
24¶But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
But programmatically his mission is to Jews only
His program started long before the concept of Jew even existed. Jesus was the Son of God long before He came to Abraham or came into Mary. It is hard for you to admit your grievous error, but you will have to sooner or later. The Written Word of God is for all of us and you need to stop preaching otherwise. His program can be seen in the Garden when He provided a covering for Adam and Eve.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
His program started long before the concept of Jew even existed. Jesus was the Son of God long before He came to Abraham or came into Mary. It is hard for you to admit your grievous error, but you will have to sooner or later. The Written Word of God is for all of us and you need to stop preaching otherwise. His program can be seen in the Garden when He provided a covering for Adam and Eve.
Thoughts?