Vitamin D Determines Severity in COVID-19: Researchers Urge Government to Change Advice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Looking at this it strikes me that part of the reason for divergently different infection and mortality rates may have less to do with the success of lockdown measures, and more to do with other factors....like this study about how Vitamin D deficiency is shown to increase the severity and deadliness of Covid-19 in a statistically significant way.

Also note that people with darker skin tone, that they absorb less Vitamin D from sunight than those with lighter skin tone. That might explain why in a state like Lousiana, that black individuals make up over 70% of Covid deaths despite only making up about 30% of the State's population. Its been suggested that socieo-economic factors play a role (which is a nice way of saying poverty) and I don't doubt that does play a role, but perhaps its not the most significant variable.

https://scitechdaily.com/vitamin-d-...BAvCXiUDsay337QeeApCWm0tBaHgjmlwa3UTTeTJb2kxo

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
nah poverty would be more of an indicator than melatonin.
People dont like to say that cos they just dont want to be the ones responisble for pointing out over crowded conditions are where the virus is easier to spread regardless of type of people.
eg rest homes, boarding schools, big inner cities, markets....

people who are poor generally have more people per household and cant isolate themselves as effectively as richer people can.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
not to mention rich people often have more than one house! oh I will just go isolate into my holiday home on the beach la la la....

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
not to mention rich people often have more than one house! oh I will just go isolate into my holiday home on the beach la la la....
I don't disagree with that....but ultimately over 99% of people who become infected fight it off. We already know that Covid-19 discriminates against the elderly (its ageist) and the immune compromised (unhealthyist)....I would not be surprised if there's a component that increases the risk in those with Vitamin D deficiency as well, whether that's driven by skin color or dietary factors....obviously poorer individuals typically have less healthy diets.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Report I saw spoke of the Vitamin D benefit, but cautioned people NOT to take too much because that can cause medical issues also...... Most people get plenty of Vitamin D naturally without taking a Supplement.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Yes, that's what I said.............but, you know.........some folks operate on the idea that "If a little is good for you, then a WHOLE BUNCH will be great, right?"

That's what they were warning about

There's a reason Manufacturers have to put dumb Instructions on their Products............ like on the top of a Ladder:

STOP HERE

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Yes, that's what I said.............but, you know.........some folks operate on the idea that "If a little is good for you, then a WHOLE BUNCH will be great, right?"

That's what they were warning about

There's a reason Manufacturers have to put dumb Instructions on their Products............ like on the top of a Ladder:

STOP HERE
I just heard this line, "that's why pop tarts have instructions".