A wonderful missionary working in Africa came to our church to tell about his work. He explained how much damage voodoo was doing to the people he was working with.
I looked for what the net had to say about the prevalence of VooDoo in Africa. What they said has really shaken me.
It isn't listed as a main religion in Aftrica, the Christian religion is listed as the main religion. But. They say the belief in Voodoo in incororated into the Christian religion there. When a christian faces something like illness, they go to their church, but they also go to Voodoo. It isn't unusual for even a pastor to preach in the morning, and use voodo that evening.
The article explained it by pointing out that the Christian church did the same thing in the beginning of Christianity in the pagan world. The Romans incorporated their way of worship, and so did the Germans. We say we go to church on Sunday because Christ rose that day, even though bible says they found Christ gone that day not that He rose that day. History tells us the big reason was that the pagan's custom was to worship that day. I could go on and on, but you have all heard it debated on posts.
We are scolded for looking for pagan roots in our tradition, and told not to even think about getting rid of them.
These same people would scream at the idea of practicing voodoo type things along with our worship, yet I see similarity in what we do. I am pretty shook.
I looked for what the net had to say about the prevalence of VooDoo in Africa. What they said has really shaken me.
It isn't listed as a main religion in Aftrica, the Christian religion is listed as the main religion. But. They say the belief in Voodoo in incororated into the Christian religion there. When a christian faces something like illness, they go to their church, but they also go to Voodoo. It isn't unusual for even a pastor to preach in the morning, and use voodo that evening.
The article explained it by pointing out that the Christian church did the same thing in the beginning of Christianity in the pagan world. The Romans incorporated their way of worship, and so did the Germans. We say we go to church on Sunday because Christ rose that day, even though bible says they found Christ gone that day not that He rose that day. History tells us the big reason was that the pagan's custom was to worship that day. I could go on and on, but you have all heard it debated on posts.
We are scolded for looking for pagan roots in our tradition, and told not to even think about getting rid of them.
These same people would scream at the idea of practicing voodoo type things along with our worship, yet I see similarity in what we do. I am pretty shook.