Waiting and best ways to deal with it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Let me give a brief description of my walk with God:

I was a full blown opiate addict...Started using alcohol at my senior prom and drugs(marajuana) at age 19.
I am currently 40 years old as of Dec. 30th 2018. I graduated to oxycodone around 30 and it progressed to age 38 and the prescribed dosage of 300mgs. a day from a doctor BUT, that wasn't enough for me. I bought an additional 90-120mg to sustain me for a day....Crazy, I know. I thank God I am still breathing....I tried so many times to stop ON MY OWN, but failed time and time again being unable to get past the absolutely viscous (hell on earth) withdrawals that come with it....My cold turkey stopping resulted in 7 days of NO sleep whatsoever. My doctor called me a liar but my mother saw it first hand. On day 8 I slept but returned to the pills.

Enough about my history. Anyone who cares to hear more on this in depth topic feel free to ask. I know the path I submitted to to be saved from it.

Anyways:
It has been about 1 1/2 years since I left the rehab facility and without fail, I have constantly seen God show me that he is right by my side, EVERY day.....It almost seems stupid for me to ask for a little help from some others who may know scripture better than me but if there is any verse that can help me in my area, I would be appreciative.

I know that I am not supposed to get weary in well doing and I have not quit the fight, believe me. I get on my knees everyday and start my day the same. I almost died and know that everyday is like I am in overtime in my life and I pray it goes on a lot longer than football and hockeys overtime.

My only struggle is, I have always been an impatient person and and I subconsciously tap my foot without conscious thought.....It is not that this uncomfortable feeling is something that makes me believe that the long path from addiction was the wrong one, it is just I wonder what is the best way to deal with impatience... I absolutely believe that good times are ahead, I just struggle with uncomfortable impatience at certain times....Not all! Maybe 25% of a weeks time.

Any scripture guidance I would appreciate.

Thanks

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
a lot of people say i am a patient person. maybe that qualifies me to reply :)

one thing that helps me is to think about the bigger picture that i believe - as Christians our hope is eternal life with God. eternity. so compare waiting or working 30 years for something with infinity - might as well be zero years!

another thing i notice in people who are being impatient is that they are often obsessed with what it is they are waiting for - it can completely consume their thoughts even though in the moments while they have to wait, there is literally nothing they can accomplish by concentrating on whatever the thing is, and all it can produce is anxiety. so is suggest something simple, lol, stop thinking about it. but i know this is hard to do.. what makes it accessible to me is to keep in mind that i can't add anything by being anxious. all I can do is make the situation worse by my impatience. knowing that helps goad me into setting my mind on the things i actually can affect in the present time.

useful topic imo; weird that it hasn't had any attention yet. welcome to CC and thank you for the thread!

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
TM19782017,

I don't know if you have a job or any spare time, but if you are a member of a church, I would suggest becoming a volunteer throughout the week. It won't matter if you are sweeping, cleaning toilets, taking out the trash, helping the pastor, even building repairs. But the fact of just being active in a Godly surrounding and keeping your mind off of your troubles, and just being in that atmosphere maybe easier to keep focused upon God. If the pastor prays for the church and congregation, you can find a spot somewhere close and pray yourself for these important matters.

In time, you won't need to try to stop being the old you, you will be able to use the old you for a testimony. And you could be on the verge of leading a group of addicts and helping them overcome. Small steps Brother. But those small steps in God, always leads to a place where God can eventually use you for His purpose and His Kingdom!!

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
1 Peter 5: 6Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

God knows the struggle you are dealing with and He cares for you.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
a lot of people say i am a patient person. maybe that qualifies me to reply :)

one thing that helps me is to think about the bigger picture that i believe - as Christians our hope is eternal life with God. eternity. so compare waiting or working 30 years for something with infinity - might as well be zero years!

another thing i notice in people who are being impatient is that they are often obsessed with what it is they are waiting for - it can completely consume their thoughts even though in the moments while they have to wait, there is literally nothing they can accomplish by concentrating on whatever the thing is, and all it can produce is anxiety. so is suggest something simple, lol, stop thinking about it. but i know this is hard to do.. what makes it accessible to me is to keep in mind that i can't add anything by being anxious. all I can do is make the situation worse by my impatience. knowing that helps goad me into setting my mind on the things i actually can affect in the present time.

useful topic imo; weird that it hasn't had any attention yet. welcome to CC and thank you for the thread!
Thank you for your reply......It seems to always gett the best of me when I am idle...Whether attempting to fall asleep or, waiting for co-workers to begin a job. It even got the best of me when I was in college classes that lasted longer than 1 hour. I would lose focus and become anxious and fidgety.....Music seems to help though and ANY physical activity. Running, working out....Only problem is, sometimes convincing myself I have the energy to complete the task is not always there.

Has anyone tried meditation? I have zero knowledge on it and would like others opinions. Thanks!

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
TM19782017,

I don't know if you have a job or any spare time, but if you are a member of a church, I would suggest becoming a volunteer throughout the week. It won't matter if you are sweeping, cleaning toilets, taking out the trash, helping the pastor, even building repairs. But the fact of just being active in a Godly surrounding and keeping your mind off of your troubles, and just being in that atmosphere maybe easier to keep focused upon God. If the pastor prays for the church and congregation, you can find a spot somewhere close and pray yourself for these important matters.

In time, you won't need to try to stop being the old you, you will be able to use the old you for a testimony. And you could be on the verge of leading a group of addicts and helping them overcome. Small steps Brother. But those small steps in God, always leads to a place where God can eventually use you for His purpose and His Kingdom!!
I SERIOUSLY contemplated this. I have a God given talent to cut hair like the young people of today like. Skin fades and shape-ups :)
I even cut skin fade my own hair with mirrors that surround my head...Funny, I know.

Would a church be interested in someone like me who is willing to dedicate my time to give free haircuts to those in need?

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
1 Peter 5: 6Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

God knows the struggle you are dealing with and He cares for you.
Thanks.....Are you familiar with the term, "Dry Drunk"?
Not calling you one but when someone said this actually exists, I was baffled.
I assumed it to be someone who avoids chemicals and substances but judges others as if their avoidance makes them higher and more powerful.

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
I SERIOUSLY contemplated this. I have a God given talent to cut hair like the young people of today like. Skin fades and shape-ups :)
I even cut skin fade my own hair with mirrors that surround my head...Funny, I know.

Would a church be interested in someone like me who is willing to dedicate my time to give free haircuts to those in need?

Let's look at it from this angle. Let's say the church did allow you to give haircuts on the property, somewhere within the facility. And let's say it brought many young people there to get a haircut. And while you gave haircuts, the pastor could greet these young people and maybe have pamphlets about who God is. And let's say, 1 or 2 decided to go to church, and they became saved and full time members. And then, they were able to invite others who originally passed up on the idea of going to church. And this ended up being how this process went. You cut hair, the pastor and you shared testimonies, pamphlets are handed out, and a few decide to come to church and end up saved.

Not sure about you, but I view this as a serious WIN for God!! And I cannot see why the pastor would object to it, if you explained this like I just did to you.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Let's look at it from this angle. Let's say the church did allow you to give haircuts on the property, somewhere within the facility. And let's say it brought many young people there to get a haircut. And while you gave haircuts, the pastor could greet these young people and maybe have pamphlets about who God is. And let's say, 1 or 2 decided to go to church, and they became saved and full time members. And then, they were able to invite others who originally passed up on the idea of going to church. And this ended up being how this process went. You cut hair, the pastor and you shared testimonies, pamphlets are handed out, and a few decide to come to church and end up saved.

Not sure about you, but I view this as a serious WIN for God!! And I cannot see why the pastor would object to it, if you explained this like I just did to you.
I agree....Only issue currently is, I grew up Catholic and now consider myself Christian....I wouldn't know which denomination to go to?
Calling a Catholic priest Father is hard for me to do.....I refer God as Father.....Would it be ok to call a priest by his first name?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Thank you for your reply......It seems to always gett the best of me when I am idle...Whether attempting to fall asleep or, waiting for co-workers to begin a job. It even got the best of me when I was in college classes that lasted longer than 1 hour. I would lose focus and become anxious and fidgety.....Music seems to help though and ANY physical activity. Running, working out....Only problem is, sometimes convincing myself I have the energy to complete the task is not always there.

Has anyone tried meditation? I have zero knowledge on it and would like others opinions. Thanks!
oh yeah i know exactly what you mean

what about making art - have you tried origami? it not only keeps your hands busy but to make good accurate creases in paper you have to focus on what you're doing - one thing common to working, being engrossed in music, playing a sport or training for one, and some kinds of active meditation is that your body is engaged in activity that involves a lot of subconscious processes going on, that it needs to focus on. i think, when part of you as a 'system' is focused, it's harder for the rest of you to be unfocused or anxious.

origami can be something like a more sophisticated 'fidget spinner' - if you learn to read diagrams for it, and memorize some, it gives you something to do while you wait no matter where you are; all you need is your hands and a piece of paper. it's not too hard really to tear paper very straight, and to make a square from any shaped scrap of paper - really simple if you have a rectangle to begin with

Dec 12, 2013
Well......be not anxious about one thing, but by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known unto God.

I suggest read the bible when you get anxious and pray about it......

After the Marine Corp I went through a few years of heavy drug use and it took me many years to "calm down" and get over the anxious, twisted gut feelings.....

IM if you need to chat....or not...peace brother!

Sep 3, 2018
One day when I was mountain bike riding I crossed paths with a stranger who was keen to spread the good word. He suggested a technique to me that I've found very effective. He demonstrated the technique, which is to invite Jesus into your spiritual body and then breath in a series of long slow breaths and imagine the Holy Spirit and/or Jesus entering and enriching your spiritual body. I do that most days, up to 5 times a day or so. I invite Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God the Father. In general I feel that I'm increasing my capacity for love.

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
I agree....Only issue currently is, I grew up Catholic and now consider myself Christian....I wouldn't know which denomination to go to?
Calling a Catholic priest Father is hard for me to do.....I refer God as Father.....Would it be ok to call a priest by his first name?

The Pope is no closer to God than a person just new to the faith. I would look at the different denominations and see which one relates to your views the closest, and then begin attending. I hated to even write that last sentence, because as true believers of God, there should be no separation by denominations. It's such a sad and pathetic example we have become, and to be claiming we are believers when we are part of the separation issue. Just sad!!

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Thanks.....Are you familiar with the term, "Dry Drunk"?
Not calling you one but when someone said this actually exists, I was baffled.
I assumed it to be someone who avoids chemicals and substances but judges others as if their avoidance makes them higher and more powerful.
I'm not sure what you mean but I gave what I thought was a Bible verse that you were asking for and I know I feel good to know that when I have a problem or the fact that knowing I have broken all 10 commandments this verse gives me comfort in knowing God cares for me about the things that have bothered me. I had an abortion so yes I have murdered too and not proud of it at all and remorseful over it as it's a sin you can't take back or fix so the answer would be no I'm not judging you nor do I feel higher or more powerful so no I'm not a dry drunk I'm a terrible sinner that God has forgiven and was trying to offer you comfort in a verse that says God cares for you.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean but I gave what I thought was a Bible verse that you were asking for and I know I feel good to know that when I have a problem or the fact that knowing I have broken all 10 commandments this verse gives me comfort in knowing God cares for me about the things that have bothered me. I had an abortion so yes I have murdered too and not proud of it at all and remorseful over it as it's a sin you can't take back or fix so the answer would be no I'm not judging you nor do I feel higher or more powerful so no I'm not a dry drunk I'm a terrible sinner that God has forgiven and was trying to offer you comfort in a verse that says God cares for you.
Sorry for the mistake. Not aimed at you....My only point was how the word sober can be misinterpreted in today's world....Some believe avoidance of substances makes the sober but if they hold their accomplishment in high regard, they are flirting by speaking as if they know it all and look down on others who are not where they are.
My only point. Not judging anyone, just saying that it is possible because I have seen some tell others that they NEED to follow their path.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Well......be not anxious about one thing, but by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known unto God.
Psalm 139:14 says

We are fearfully and wonderfully made

Fearfully definition is: in an anxious manner; apprehensively.

Makes me wonder if we always will be anxious..Not that anticipating things is bad but it can be a little uncomfortable, no?

Dec 12, 2013
Psalm 139:14 says

We are fearfully and wonderfully made

Fearfully definition is: in an anxious manner; apprehensively.

Makes me wonder if we always will be anxious..Not that anticipating things is bad but it can be a little uncomfortable, no?
I looked the word up, it is a verb and means to fear and my view is that the Psalmist is speaking of a reverential fear of God in view of how God's power is seen in our creation....the Hebrew word is found below....I do not personally think it is indicative of us being made with an anxious nature prone to worry......IMV

yare': affright
Original Word: יָרֵא
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: yare'
Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-ray')
Definition: to fear

Plus....I gave a scriptural reference that we are not to be anxious about one thing.....that was a direct quote.....

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I looked the word up, it is a verb and means to fear and my view is that the Psalmist is speaking of a reverential fear of God in view of how God's power is seen in our creation....the Hebrew word is found below....I do not personally think it is indicative of us being made with an anxious nature prone to worry......IMV

yare': affright
Original Word: יָרֵא
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: yare'
Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-ray')
Definition: to fear

Plus....I gave a scriptural reference that we are not to be anxious about one thing.....that was a direct quote.....
Would it be out of line to realize that all the dictionaries that we have do not fully understand words that we use?

Words are open to interpretation BUT, numbers are concrete....1 is 1 is 1 in ANY language.
If I were to ask you what color my Avatar is, you may say it is green and I may say it is lime. Who is correct?
A little mind bending huh? That is why bible reading is always open to personal interpretation..The only word we all can agree on is the word GOD.

Dec 12, 2013
Would it be out of line to realize that all the dictionaries that we have do not fully understand words that we use?

Words are open to interpretation BUT, numbers are concrete....1 is 1 is 1 in ANY language.
If I were to ask you what color my Avatar is, you may say it is green and I may say it is lime. Who is correct?
A little mind bending huh? That is why bible reading is always open to personal interpretation..The only word we all can agree on is the word GOD.
Wrong again.....the bible states it is of NO PRIVATE INTERPRETATION and exactly why God inspired the Hebrew and Koine Greek so as to keep it from being used in a manner that allows for personal interpretation.....

Now......honestly evaluate what you said in the previous post and explain how your view can make sense when it contradicts the quoted verse I gave.....the bible does not contradict itself....