water fasting

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
https://www.livestrong.com/article/271041-malnutrition-and-the-heart-rate/

Copied and pasted from the article above:

Malnutrition shrinks the heart muscle just as it shrinks other muscle groups. Both the overall volume of the heart and the muscle mass of the left ventricle, which pumps blood out to the rest of the body, decrease in size. Decreased muscle mass results in a smaller amount of blood pumped out with each heartbeat. Electrolyte imbalances are also common in malnutrition.

Effects

Bradycardia, an abnormally slow heart rate, often occurs in malnutrition as the body attempts to conserve energy. As many as 95 percent of patients hospitalized for anorexia have bradycardia, the Ohio State University Medical Center reports. Blood pressure falls as the heart rate slows. Irregular heartbeat, medically termed arrhythmia, commonly occurs in people with malnutrition because of electrolyte imbalances.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Yes I agree with you brother . I have read a lot about this and I have a fear of something happening to me also.
How many days I can fast with this issue or i shouldn’t fast at all?
Thank you so much for your advice
I would not do it at all because you already had arrhythmia. That is a warning sign. Anytime a person takes in less than about 800 calories a day they can weaken the heart. So glad that you are understanding and sensible, Danja. <3

danja

Nov 28, 2014
I would not do it at all because you already had arrhythmia. That is a warning sign. Anytime a person takes in less than about 800 calories a day they can weaken the heart. So glad that you are understanding and sensible, Danja. <3
Ok.I am stopping my fast . It is not for me and I am sad but it’s better to be safe .
Thank you so much , really appreciate it ❤️

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Ok.I am stopping my fast . It is not for me and I am sad but it’s better to be safe .
Thank you so much , really appreciate it ❤️
I'm sorry it makes you sad, but am very glad you will be safe. <3

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
There are many other ways to fast, in order to get closer to God, without jeopardizing your health. The human body needs food and water, in order to survive. You say your current fast has been going for 3 days now? And your arrythmia is back, which is a sign that what you're doing is NOT good for your body. Like I said before, water washes away all the sodium, electrolytes and whatever else the body needs to function.

What happens when a person drinks too much water is, the water goes into the cells of the body. Water flows towards sodium in the body. With no sodium, it infiltrates the cells, even goes to the brain and makes the brain swell up with fluid, thus causing brain damage and death. Also, too much water being drunk in the body, causes the kidneys to work harder because you're putting more fluid in, than what the kidneys can take in and filter to the bladder.

And Gabe is right about it taxing the heart too. Our bodies are already at least 75% water. Too much water intake also depletes the body's blood cells, thus affecting the heart, because blood cells carry oxygen to the heart. And if those blood cells are flushed out of the body, then naturally an arrythmia is going to occur.

I'll be honest, earlier when you said you're willing to risk your health (literally) to do this water fast, it scared me. My entire family, including myself have bad hearts. I certainly don't want to see any of my friends on here get injured because they were foolish enough (no offense) to keep going, when their body is literally screaming for them to stop.

danja

Nov 28, 2014
There are many other ways to fast, in order to get closer to God, without jeopardizing your health. The human body needs food and water, in order to survive. You say your current fast has been going for 3 days now? And your arrythmia is back, which is a sign that what you're doing is NOT good for your body. Like I said before, water washes away all the sodium, electrolytes and whatever else the body needs to function.

What happens when a person drinks too much water is, the water goes into the cells of the body. Water flows towards sodium in the body. With no sodium, it infiltrates the cells, even goes to the brain and makes the brain swell up with fluid, thus causing brain damage and death. Also, too much water being drunk in the body, causes the kidneys to work harder because you're putting more fluid in, than what the kidneys can take in and filter to the bladder.

And Gabe is right about it taxing the heart too. Our bodies are already at least 75% water. Too much water intake also depletes the body's blood cells, thus affecting the heart, because blood cells carry oxygen to the heart. And if those blood cells are flushed out of the body, then naturally an arrythmia is going to occur.

I'll be honest, earlier when you said you're willing to risk your health (literally) to do this water fast, it scared me. My entire family, including myself have bad hearts. I certainly don't want to see any of my friends on here get injured because they were foolish enough (no offense) to keep going, when their body is literally screaming for them to stop.
agreeing with you Blue .Thanks for caring .Hugs and love <3

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
water fast shouldnt be messed with.. u shouldnt do it longer than 3 days and only in emergency, its not a just for fun thing

Davenport

Oct 22, 2018
For those of you who fast, you do a good thing, in regards to both health and faith.

I do have some rules:

1) Only water. I think anything besides water makes the fast more difficult (e.g. stimulates the appetite), if not outright undermines the benefits of fasting.

2) Prepare for the fast. Cut out addictive substances, like caffeine and sweets, days before the fast. Eat very healthy for a period of at least five times longer than the days you'll fast.

3) Me mindful of health conditions that may complicate fasting. E.g. fasting can help "cure" type 2 Diabetes, but you're doing to have to be careful about controlling blood sugar levels until then.

Feb 28, 2016
fasting in general is a very personal thing - no 'boxes' here -
when you are led to 'fast', be very careful of your own personal limitations.,,.

May 27, 2023
has anyone done a water fast and experienced heart palpitations ?or does anyone have more information if a racing heart should end a water fast?Thanks
Have you looked at the herb "Hawthorn" you can get it in supplements

Truth01

May 7, 2022
Hi. Electrolytes are not a joke. If you are lucky you may only end up in hospital for a while if you do not fast wisely. The electrolyte that doctors usually consider most important when dealing with the heart is potassium. Either too low or too high levels of potassium in the body can lead to bad heart ano.alies like arrhythmias and palpitations which may worsen if not addressed. Potassium is lost in urine. This means that during your water fast you lose more potassium than normal because you urinate more often. The body has a safety measure to address this though. Whenever you urinate sodium is lost in the urine as well. When your bodies sodium levels get low you stop producing more urine and urinate less. Urinating less will then help the body conserve what sodium and potassium it has left in it.however if you do a water fast and take salt/ sodium as well, your body wont reduce its urine production because its sodium levels will be normal. As you can see you will then more rapidly lose potassium as you will urinate more often and your bodies potassium levels will become low leading to heart complications like palpitations and the potential for more serious heart complications. Heart palpitations during a fast indictate that it's probably best to quit then resume again at a later time if you wish to.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
has anyone done a water fast and experienced heart palpitations ?or does anyone have more information if a racing heart should end a water fast?Thanks
O Danja, po më vjen keq që paske ik por në të njëjtën kohë më bëhet qefi që paske ik pasi Interneti bëhet i mërzitshëm laj-thaj gjith ditën.
Zoti të bekoftë kudo që të jesh edhe të vaftë mbarë.

Truth01

May 7, 2022
I have covered the advice I gave above in the course of my education and am very well versed with it. But it is still good if you see your doctor and ask him to explain this to you.