Ways to draw near to God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
So I wanted to make a thread to post ways you draw near and connect to God and to encourage others to try as well. There is nothing more important than the bond we have with him and deepening that bond is just as important.
I will admit while I wanted to make a thread to bring the church closer to god it is also kind of a selfish thing for me as my one true dream is to test the limits and exceed the boundaires in the love closeness intimacy and bonds with him to go further in that kind of love than anyone ever has.
Maybe that isn't even possible and maybe it isn't even something I can actually have but if this thread can help bring others closer to him then I wanted to at least try.

To start there is the obvious communion with him reading the word praying and talking with him spending time with him and with other believers but what about more unspecified things?
To begin I love going on walks, I love to just walk around observe everything take it all in all the while just talking to him, I find i connect with him in a different way on my walks than I normally do it has a different flavor if you will. Also I think it might be good to mention to use your talents and what you nejoy. I am a writer and so I use this quite often a friend of mine magenta makes the most amazing art I have ever seen and she uses this as well, another friend of mine is a singer and she loves nothing more than to wake up in the morning watch the sunrise and praise God.

I love sunsets and I have a medium sized pool in back yard and I love to just sit in the waters looking at the sky in wonder of his majesty and especially at night I love to look at the moon and stars and just soak him in.

And now i pass the baton to the next person

T

TheIndianGirl

To begin I love going on walks, I love to just walk around observe everything take it all in all the while just talking to him, I find i connect with him in a different way on my walks than I normally do it has a different flavor if you will. Also I think it might be good to mention to use your talents and what you nejoy. I am a writer and so I use this quite often a friend of mine magenta makes the most amazing art I have ever seen and she uses this as well, another friend of mine is a singer and she loves nothing more than to wake up in the morning watch the sunrise and praise God.
I spend a lot of time alone so I bond close to God in my deep thoughts. When I am in need of a higher power, I also seek God and bond this way. When I realize how much evil there is, while at times I ask where is God, I also know that God is in control so I bond this way as well. Talking with other Christian friends also helps me bond more with God. Also, sometimes watching certain movies or listening to Christian songs helps me bond with God. I also bond with God when I think about God or pray.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I spend a lot of time alone so I bond close to God in my deep thoughts. When I am in need of a higher power, I also seek God and bond this way. When I realize how much evil there is, while at times I ask where is God, I also know that God is in control so I bond this way as well. Talking with other Christian friends also helps me bond more with God. Also, sometimes watching certain movies or listening to Christian songs helps me bond with God. I also bond with God when I think about God or pray.
If I didn't know any better I would swear we were clones all you just described is me down to every word That is so amazing :D

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It was late in my life, when I was in very serious trouble that I discovered fasting. I was not coping well with my new circumstances, mostly it was as "poor me". I knew that wasn't God's way, but I simply didn't know what to do about it. I decided to try fasting.

I had to search to find what God wanted of a fast, it was new to me. I found that for a time I was to close out the world and devote myself to God. I allowed myself coffee and water only. I gave all my time to study of the word and prayer. I made a mental picture of God surrounding me with the Holy Spirit. God doesn't specify a time limit, for me I needed five days. It is a miracle how God worked.

The poor me went away completely and in its place was a way to cope.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I think it's just being totally honest with God.

If we look a David he was totally honest and knew God would listen.

He did this in the depths of his sin and depression etc.

So many in the church today are too frightened to draw close to God because they fear they will be rejected.

Based on life experiences and awful teaching in the modern church.

One simple example for me.

I was once told because I do not speak in tongues it was evidence I was not saved.

So that crapped me out because I was not saved.
So what did I do?
Prayed to speak in tongues so I knew I was saved.

I was already in a bad place and that added to it.

I came to realise after many years that my foundations were wrong.

Saved by this and that and works and not sinning was my foundations.

As a result I could not draw close to God because in fact if I didn't fulfill the above he would reject me.

As a result you cannot and will not draw close to God because barriers are in place.

Not from the side of God but us.

I came to realise and understand that when Jesus said "It is finished" the temple curtain was torn in two and as a result I could access the throne of God, based on what Jesus did and be saved by that and nothing else and not by tongues etc.

Now I can draw closer to God and be totally honest knowing that he fully loves me and wants me to be honest.

Its still a struggle but we press on.

Sep 3, 2016
"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law+ - Romans 3:28.

Chester

May 23, 2016
So I wanted to make a thread to post ways you draw near and connect to God and to encourage others to try as well. There is nothing more important than the bond we have with him and deepening that bond is just as important.
I will admit while I wanted to make a thread to bring the church closer to god it is also kind of a selfish thing for me as my one true dream is to test the limits and exceed the boundaires in the love closeness intimacy and bonds with him to go further in that kind of love than anyone ever has.
Maybe that isn't even possible and maybe it isn't even something I can actually have but if this thread can help bring others closer to him then I wanted to at least try.

To start there is the obvious communion with him reading the word praying and talking with him spending time with him and with other believers but what about more unspecified things?

I love sunsets and I have a medium sized pool in back yard and I love to just sit in the waters looking at the sky in wonder of his majesty and especially at night I love to look at the moon and stars and just soak him in.

One of my favorite ways is to hop onto my small motorboat and go out to my favorite island in the middle of my favorite river. I go out at about dusk and then set up my catfishing rods and then just sit on the shore and wait. Under the stars, moon, and the open sky on a dark night out in the middle of the wild - there I meet God. And occasionally a nice catfish is an added bonus!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
One of my favorite ways is to hop onto my small motorboat and go out to my favorite island in the middle of my favorite river. I go out at about dusk and then set up my catfishing rods and then just sit on the shore and wait. Under the stars, moon, and the open sky on a dark night out in the middle of the wild - there I meet God. And occasionally a nice catfish is an added bonus!
Oh wow I am so jealous I wish I could do that I love to sit under the moon and stars and just sit there talking with God sometimes i just sit on my porch other times I like to relax in my pool
I really love that still quiet time with God

Apr 2, 2020
One way I'm learning to draw closer to God is by drawing closer to others. As the old wounds build bridges between us and I learn to care for others in a genuine way I find myself able to receive from God more readily. Learning to experience God through other people's eyes and hearing their stories and sharing my own all help me to come closer to God.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
One way I'm learning to draw closer to God is by drawing closer to others. As the old wounds build bridges between us and I learn to care for others in a genuine way I find myself able to receive from God more readily. Learning to experience God through other people's eyes and hearing their stories and sharing my own all help me to come closer to God.
Yes that is exactly the way to do it, everyone has stories inner wounds and scars things other people can relate too.

There is something special when you find a person who understands what you are going through or been through because they know your pain they know your struggle and how it felt and feels and sometimes that creates the strongest bonds between people.

At the same time a little empathy goes a long way even if you have never gone through what the other person has putting yourself in their shoes trying to understand where they are coming from can bring people together. A kingdom divided cannot stand only in unity understanding and love can the kingdom stand and God shines proudly on those who are peacekeepers and seek to unite and create stronger bonds both with him and with others

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
When one is alone with God in a private place, we enter in to that spiritual dimension by following the excellent guidance of Psalm 100: 4. "Enter into his gates with THANKSGIVING and into his COURTS with PRAISE : be THANKFUL unto him, and BLESS HIS NAME". This is followed by WAITING on his presence, before petitions. This fulfills the scripture "draw near to me, and I will draw near to you". And, "in my presence, there is fullness of joy".

L

Locoponydirtman

This kind of reminds me of one Sunday morning I got up early and went out side. I live in farm country so basically there is only fields and woods and such. There is a pond about 100 yards from my house. I couldn't go to church because the fear of covid, (not in me, but how things are run now). So I went out to pray and thank God for all he has done and for how he has blessed me. The sun was just up so the morning sky was beautiful with colors in the clouds, and the bird songs were just over whelmingly loud it seemed as it were a hundred birds all singing their individual songs. The wonderful moment was just fill with awe of what God has created here for us.
I don't pray like many people seem to. I pray when ever and where ever. I just start out by addressing him and then just speaking my heart and mind to him. Walking in a field or driving to work or struggling with something. Any way I just wanted to share.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
This kind of reminds me of one Sunday morning I got up early and went out side. I live in farm country so basically there is only fields and woods and such. There is a pond about 100 yards from my house. I couldn't go to church because the fear of covid, (not in me, but how things are run now). So I went out to pray and thank God for all he has done and for how he has blessed me. The sun was just up so the morning sky was beautiful with colors in the clouds, and the bird songs were just over whelmingly loud it seemed as it were a hundred birds all singing their individual songs. The wonderful moment was just fill with awe of what God has created here for us.
I don't pray like many people seem to. I pray when ever and where ever. I just start out by addressing him and then just speaking my heart and mind to him. Walking in a field or driving to work or struggling with something. Any way I just wanted to share.
This is amazing simple yet so deep, there really is nothing nothing like a morning with God I am not a morning person but on a rare moon I get up early in the morning to do this very thing.