We are called to obedience, but works won’t save. Please explain.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
That is exactly correct. The book of James tells you it isn't possible.

If the Lord Jesus has given you rest from your work at the law do you treat what the Lord Jesus did for us as garbage and go back to doing what was given to an entirely different people group and not yourself?

The answer, according to James, is that you have a dead faith in the Lord Jesus. Which is really the way of saying no faith.

How can you have faith in your Rest in Christ if you read somewhere else that you need to work? You have to choose between faith in Christ or faith in your understanding.

The awesome thing about faith in Christ is that He fulfills everything that you would try to work at MUCH better than you ever could. But you have to place your faith in Christ in order to find this out.
I truly do not understand your reasoning to come up with what I read as "do not work". How can you possibly treat our forgiveness as garbage? To not believe we are forgiven? It is such a bright shining wonder, it would melt the garbage pail.

When I accepted that Christ forgave, it brought on a desire to not mess up what the Lord gave me, I desired to obey and live only by the Lord's direction. That is work. Even though I still sinned, it was not my desire to sin any more. I only wanted my flesh to follow Christ. If I understand you correct, you do not think that is a right way to do it. Am I right in my understanding of what you say?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I just reread Grandpa's posts. He seems to have decided that the only reason someone works can only be to work for salvation, work can never be to follow Christ. To him, work is the same as not having faith in Christ.

Christ said if you love me you will follow me, so God seems to think our work can be the result of faith in what Christ tells us, rather than an expression of lack of faith.

Just_Jo

May 29, 2020
I view it this way,salvation was a price paid none of us are worthy of.

However,the gift of salvation cannot be earned. It is a divine expression of God's love to mankind,it cannot be TAKEN from us.
With adoration we express our love to Him by following His commandments in obedience.

Jesus said do not your alms before men to be seen of them and to let not the right hand know what the Left doeth but rather close yourselves into you closets and let God be the judge of your obedience and standing with Him.

Just_Jo

May 29, 2020
The above said,I do believe if He says go,we go. If He says do,we do!
Let us not be as the servant who produced no increase for his master from the talent he buried!

AndyMaleh

Jun 26, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Works do save. Works keep you on the right path of Jesus Christ. Works prevent you from falling into Satan's traps. Godspeed.

May 19, 2020
Works do save. Works keep you on the right path of Jesus Christ. Works prevent you from falling into Satan's traps. Godspeed.

Please can I ask you...how did your works save you?...thank you.xo

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
Conversion into the body of Christ is SALVATION, a DONE deal. Afterwards, the MATURING of the new nature follows. Without the works WORTHY of REPENTANCE that follows, one may be religious, but still not converted shown by their lifestyle. Therefore to do righty is a sign of being born again, and the behaviour tends to prove what already has taken place in that we obey the word, and do what is right towards one another. We are not "saved by works of righteousness" but our salvation is matured through our obedience, whereby we grow SPIRITUALLY from babes, to saints.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
Romans 10: 5 Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for his name’s sake.

Any time the law or working to obey is mentioned on this site there is a loud outcry that works won’t save. This is true, it is only through Christ we are saved, not by our works. Sometimes it brings the comment that the law is cancelled. And yet scripture is full of instructions to us to obey, and that is works under laws that are alive and well. Explain.
Works will not save anyone but they will affirm their faith. This is how you know that the bibles teaching is true, and other religions are not true. Look at the fruits and the works of the person and you will know if they are of God or not. All religions that do not relate to the bible carry evil even in their good works. For example Muslims give to charity, but look at why they are giving, which is usually to support their kind only. Buddhists care about themselves and work on their on growth and forget about God and others, etc. Its all about the belief systems and analysing them.