WE are judged by what we do vs. we are saved by faith alone.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GodMyFortress

May 9, 2021
You have no concept of how faith and works interact,,,

Romans 3:27 (KJV) Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Galatians 2:16 (KJV) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 3:2 (KJV) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3:5 (KJV) He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

We are saved by works...His Works. If you put any confidence in the flesh you have fallen from grace.

Galatians 5:4 (KJV) Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

You do know what grace is don't you? (Hint: God's favor to us undeserving sinners).
The case you set forth, allows for individual pride and boasting. "I fed so many poor people, how many did you feed?"
You do realize those works in those verses are talking about the works of the mosaic law right?

randyk

Jan 14, 2021
Pacific NW USA
Precious friend, I agree with Part:

"eternal security, once faith in Christ truly results in spiritual regeneration,
or the New Birth" = Bible Truth! Why did you then Contradict It with:

"Often, the problem is that people do receive the Spirit and knowledge of
Christ, affirm him, but don't become spiritually regenerated." = Impossible!:
I said it because I not only think its possible to receive the knowledge and Spirit of God without regeneration, but demonstrably true. Do you think that the Apostle Judas Iscariot was sent out to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom, and to perform miracles in Jesus' name, without experiencing the knowledge and Spirit of Christ?

Of course he did! And yet, Judas turned away from that knowledge, and away from the Spirit of God, choosing instead to rely on his own judgment, and on his own wants. And so, he went spiritually blind, and lost the power of God. His end was suicide.

Precious friend, the "All spiritually Regenerated Do Receive the Washing
Of The Regenerator, The Blessed Holy Spirit, And Also Are "Renewed"
BY HIM!
(Titus 3 : 5 KJB!) Thus, By "GRACE Through Simple/humble faith,"
Receiving, From
God's Simple Will, ETERNALLY Secure Life, Correct?

Also, those who DO NOT "Have The Holy Spirit," Are none Of HIS!
{they are NOT "Spiritually Regenerated" receiving the Spirit,
Dwelling In
them (Romans 8 : 9 KJB!)}, Correct?
We may *taste* of the Holy Spirit and His power, but not be regenerated into a new creature. That is patently clear to me. I've known people over the course of decades who knew Christ and his power, only to reject a complete transformation from his will to God's will. It was a matter of serving God *when it was convenient* and *served selfish interests.* Only when God's will aligned with the man's own carnal will did spiritual life appear to be experienced. But inasmuch as the man never really went to the cross, regeneration did not really happen.

To those who Disagree with God's Doctrine Of ETERNAL Salvation,
we Simply ask these Relevant Bible questions:

(1) "God’s SURE Foundation Has THIS SEAL”:
“The
LORD Knoweth them that Are HIS!..." (2 Timothy 2 : 19 KJB!),
Correct?

(2) HOW LONG Has "The LORD KNOWN them That Are HIS Own"?
(Ephesians 1 : 4-6 KJB!) = ALWAYS, Correct?

(3) For those who are LOST, how is it That The LORD Said Unto them:
I NEVER Knew you”? (Matthew 7 : 21-23 KJB!) = NEVER, Correct?

Conclusion:

Thus, the doctrine of "Christ ONCE {Always?} knew one forgiven And
Eternally
Saved, And, Then when they walked away, He [NEVER knew?]
Did NOT know them Any Longer, and they Became LOST!:

Is NOWHERE found God's Pure And HOLY Scripture, Correct, Randy?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thus, those who Do Receive The Holy Spirit Are Regenerated!

Be Blessed!

More Relevant Bible Passages FOR God's ETERNAL Salvation!:
God's OPERATION On All HIS New-born babes In CHRIST!
God's FREE Gift Of ETERNAL Life!
[/QUOTE]

I'm an eternal security advocate, a Predestinarian. There are slight differences between those in this school on matters of free will, and in this case, how we know who has not received eternal life. Interesting matters to discuss.

It is correct that once God fully knows someone, to the extent they are regenerated, they will never be lost. God will not lose one of His sheep. But I do believe that men can receive the knowledge of Christ without truly coming to salvation. They can experience the power of God, and not be saved. There are Elmer Gantrys out there!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
My concept of what faith is also base on these verse

Matt 25
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

Why Jesus say save by faith than Jesus say people save because feed the hungry etc

My conclusion is people that have faith characterized by verse 31-34
Interesting, the word faith or the concept of faith is not in those two verses. To get a better idea of faith read chapter 11 of Hebrews.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You do realize those works in those verses are talking about the works of the mosaic law right?
It also includes the moral law as found on the tablets of Moses. See Romans 7...

Romans 7:4 (KJV) Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

as well as...

Romans 7:7 (KJV) What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Covetousness is discouraged in the New and forbidden in the Old...

Colossians 3:5 (KJV) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Exodus 20:17 (KJV) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

So yes, a verse like Rom 7:4 refers to ALL demands of God to obtain eternal life regardless of which Testament. Jesus fulfilled the demands of the law that were against us.

Colossians 2:13-15 (KJV) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Rondonmon

May 13, 2016
We must accept all scripture as equal truths.

Scripture tells us to be perfect Matt. 5:48 “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect”. Yet if we say we have achieved perfection, instead of giving our will to be perfect to God, we lie. We are perfect only through the perfection of Christ, but we must give our will to Him and will to be sinless, as Christ makes us as if we were sinless.

Scripture says we are judged by our deeds 2 Corinthians 5:10 “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil”. Scripture also says we are judged by faith alone. Eph. 2:8 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast”

When Christ gives us forgiveness, we know it is not based on our deeds but on our faith. We know to have faith in Christ is to have faith in His instructions to us as well as His ability to forgive our sins. We cannot live with the sin that Christ frees us from and remain free from sin.

How do you think these scripture truths all work together to be the truth of the Lord and not opposing instructions?
We come into the Presence of God via the Cleansing by Jesus blood by FAITH ALONE, we are purged. God FORGETS all of those sins, God will still Judge us on everything we do as Christians. Some will have BIGGER MANSIONS than others etc. If I own a plant and hire 10 workers, they all get the same chance to impress and move up the latter, we however will judge their performance and make a determination going forth.

We can obtain Salvation, and still be Judged, if people bury their talents, God is go to Judge them on that.

BigSky2021

Apr 23, 2021
WE are judged by what we do vs. we are saved by faith alone
I don't think it's an Either-Or proposition. I believe it's both

1. We are saved by Faith alone in Jesus and his atonment for all sin

2. We are also judged by what we do

Remember, Jesus talked about who would be "greatest" and "least" in the Kingdom of Heaven. So I would guess this is where the works come it. SO I guess you could be a mediocre Christian and still be saved but your place in the Kingdom won't be as lofty.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
"Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come immediately and sit down to eat'? "But will he not say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink'? "He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? "So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.'" Luke 17:7-10 (NASB)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Interesting, the word faith or the concept of faith is not in those two verses. To get a better idea of faith read chapter 11 of Hebrews.
Hebrew 11
7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

Noah don't see flood when he built an arch,
So his faith in God cause him built an arch

Believe never see how Jesus judge on the last day but He inform us what the judgement look like

Matt 25
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

As Noah take action because his faith when God tell him about flood so do believer believe what Jesus say on Matt 25 than take action help feed the hungry.

GodMyFortress

May 9, 2021
It also includes the moral law as found on the tablets of Moses. See Romans 7...

Romans 7:4 (KJV) Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

as well as...

Romans 7:7 (KJV) What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Covetousness is discouraged in the New and forbidden in the Old...

Colossians 3:5 (KJV) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Exodus 20:17 (KJV) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

So yes, a verse like Rom 7:4 refers to ALL demands of God to obtain eternal life regardless of which Testament. Jesus fulfilled the demands of the law that were against us.

Colossians 2:13-15 (KJV) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Paul is not setting up a contest between observing Jewish/Christian morals vs. faith. In these verses the contest is between a work righteousness model of the Old Testament and the faith model of the New Testament.

There are times in the Bible where Paul may be addressing good works instead of works of the Mosaic law. In the cases of those verses he’s referring to the works righteousness model of the Mosaic law.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
God gives a promise, the faithful believe the Promise. Their faith is credited to them as righteousness.
Matt 25 Judgment is not based on a promise, it is called a judgment.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Paul is not setting up a contest between observing Jewish/Christian morals vs. faith. In these verses the contest is between a work righteousness model of the Old Testament and the faith model of the New Testament.
I never implied there was a contest. Sin kills in the Old the same way it kills in the New.
In both Old and New, it is by faith.

"Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4 (NASB)

Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH." Galatians 3:11 (NASB)

GodMyFortress

May 9, 2021
Hebrew 11
7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

Believe never see how Jesus judge on the last day but He inform us what the judgement look like

Matt 25

As Noah take action because his faith when God tell him about flood so do believer believe what Jesus say on Matt 25 than take action help feed the hungry.
Here’s some more of Matthew 25:
40 And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.'

41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;

It’s a powerful statement, if you do wrong by people and never repent...off to hell you go.

GodMyFortress

May 9, 2021
I never implied there was a contest. Sin kills in the Old the same way it kills in the New.
In both Old and New, it is by faith.

"Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4 (NASB)

Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH." Galatians 3:11 (NASB)
Just curious, I’d like to get your take on 1 John Ch 5:16-17.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
God gives a promise, the faithful believe the Promise. Their faith is credited to them as righteousness.
Matt 25 Judgment is not based on a promise, it is called a judgment.
Matt 25 god promise to judge that way, whosoever believe prepare how win and fake action.
Faith credited as righteousness, Noah faith credited of righteoness and demonstrate by his action
Built an arch
Believer faith on Matt 25 credited as righteousness and demonsrtate by their action, fed the hungry
Imagine if Noah say he have faith but never build an arch? Did he save?
If so can you say Noah not save because not work (not build an arch)?

No, the root cause he not build an arch is lack of faith

He build an arch and save. Can you say he save because work?
No, he save because of faith, faith cause him work (build an arch) so the root cause of his salvation is faith, not work.u

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Matt 25 god promise to judge that way, whosoever believe prepare how win and fake action.
Faith credited as righteousness, Noah faith credited of righteoness and demonstrate by his action
Built an arch
Believer faith on Matt 25 credited as righteousness and demonsrtate by their action, fed the hungry
Imagine if Noah say he have faith but never build an arch? Did he save?
If so can you say Noah not save because not work (not build an arch)?

No, the root cause he not build an arch is lack of faith

He build an arch and save. Can you say he save because work?
No, he save because of faith, faith cause him work (build an arch) so the root cause of his salvation is faith, not work.u
Sorry, you are all mixed up and most likely are mixing up others. If you think Mt 25 (Judgment) is a promise, here is a promise for you...

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
(Isa 8:20)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Sorry, you are all mixed up and most likely are mixing up others. If you think Mt 25 (Judgment) is a promise, here is a promise for you...

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
(Isa 8:20)
I don't get it
Do you believe Jesus will judge like what he promise to judge exactly like on Matt 25?

GodMyFortress

May 9, 2021
Is there a specific reason why? And why the sudden shift in topic? IOW, I'm not sure of your purpose in asking.
You mentioned sin being the same in the old and new. That verse tells us something about sin, so I wanted to know what you thought about it.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You mentioned sin being the same in the old and new. That verse tells us something about sin, so I wanted to know what you thought about it.

1 John 5:16-17 NLT
[16] If you see a fellow believer sinning in a way that does not lead to death, you should pray, and God will give that person life. But there is a sin that leads to death, and I am not saying you should pray for those who commit it. [17] All wicked actions are sin, but not every sin leads to death.

I don’t know how to tell if a believer is sinning a sin that leads to death or not lead to death, do you?
I would pray for a brother regardless, if I see him sinning, wouldn’t you?