Wealth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
morefaithrequired, haven't I seen you on a digital audio workstation chatroom somewhere? I swear you were in chat that day...

I was talking about I just installed a new sound board at church, because our old one finally gave up the ghost. Somebody got snippy with me because my church spent money on a sound board instead of using it to feed the poor. "What about the poor who are hungry? Oh, I know - Show them your neat sound board. That'll take care of them."

I mentioned that our church does do a lot for the poor around here. The snippy person said yeah, but we're spending money on a sound board when we could be giving that in addition to what we already do for the poor. I questioned how much Snippy gave to the poor. Snippy said that didn't matter, because the churches are the ones who make a big deal of helping people, so it is our burden to bear.

Finally I observed that if his rock band, and others like it, would contribute a bit to help the poor, maybe there wouldn't BE so much burden on the churches. Snippy shutteth up. I guess he didn't have a counter ready.

So yeah, I could swear I met you in a chat room somewhere...
My pastor over the weekend made a statement on this. We’ve replaced the Church with the church organization. The Body of Christ has laid its responsibility as the hands and feet of Christ individually and placed it on the church organization.

He said he needs to start carrying around a small mirror, so when someone approaches him and says, “We need to feed the poor” he will just slip the mirror out of his pocket and let them see their self.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
There must be a lot of evil in the world then. because you've described a loooooot of people!!
Money is not evil. People by nature are evil. Money just unmask people. To unmask people, I let them borrow money. In my workplace, almost all fell into the money trap of ponzi scheme. I just shake my head because they are not even ashamed, they are even proud of their greed.

Attachments

M

morefaithrequired

So the love of money is the root of all evil? Guess we are all evil then , because who in their right mind,hates it?

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
So the love of money is the root of all evil? Guess we are all evil then , because who in their right mind,hates it?
It isn’t that people love money, they love the liberties it gives. The freedom it purchases, and the experiences it permits. The love of money that is evil is where one places money above people, it is for the sake of its acquisition at any cost. There is nothing wrong with riches and wealth for the Lord grants such.

M

morefaithrequired

Prosperity gospel alive and well.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Prosperity gospel alive and well.
💰😈😈😈😈😈😈🤑😈😈😈😈😈😈💰

A house divided against itself cannot stand. Why would riches and wealth be evil and not of the Lord, when such prosperity is used to spread His Kingdom, and do good?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I know this topic has been done alot but once again I'm bothered by it (I dont really read the bible anymore as it's just a giant list Of why I'm not going to heaven. ) I realize I got alot of stuff and its difficult to get rid of alot and that bothers me as I'm constantly looking for something to worry about. But verses like the camel and needle bring me grief as I feel like the guy who couldn't sell his belongings and I should be willing to do anything for God but I cant :(
The world is full of sinners much worse than you and me and believe it or not, they are still going to heaven. Did you know that the apostle Paul made a living torturing and killing christians when he was a high-ranking roman soldier? Did you know that Moses killed an egyptian man and then lived in the desert to avoid being found? The bible clearly says that we are ALL sinners, but because of God's mercy and grace we can still go to heaven.

1 John 1:8-10 BSB:
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us..
If we say we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar, and His word is not in us.

Romans 8:1-2 BSB:
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
Everything under the heavens belongs to God and He knows what we can handle and what would destroy us. The challenge of wealth for most is the autonomy and ease. Its possession won’t resolve all hardships. But it makes many easier to bear.

And it has an isolating effect as well. Proverbs tells us the rich have many friends. The majority are there in the hopes (or attempt) to get something from them. Wisdom and discernment is a must. As is discretion too. Revealing your circumstances could lead to negative consequences for you or your loved ones.

Oftentimes those with means find it easier to gather amongst themselves. Not through a want to avoid but to lessen the possibility of being exploited. Scrutinizing others constantly is very taxing. The mind needs a break after awhile.

However, Christians with means have an opportunity to minister to the wealthy in ways others can’t. The likelihood of reception and trust is significantly greater for one like themselves than another. You’ve walked in their moccasins so to speak.

It is a difficult calling. The temptations are greater and the warfare is fierce. Keeping them in bondage is Satan’s aim. You’ll encounter immense attacks and need to remain prayerful and rooted in God. Your demise is his aim and he’ll use them to do it.

Nevertheless, where sin abounds grace abounds all the more and souls are at stake. If you keep your eyes on Him and view your means and position as opportunities for His glory. You won’t go astray.

Jun 10, 2019
I know this topic has been done alot but once again I'm bothered by it (I dont really read the bible anymore as it's just a giant list Of why I'm not going to heaven. ) I realize I got alot of stuff and its difficult to get rid of alot and that bothers me as I'm constantly looking for something to worry about. But verses like the camel and needle bring me grief as I feel like the guy who couldn't sell his belongings and I should be willing to do anything for God but I cant :(
I wouldn’t sweat it, Jesus didn’t sweat Joseph about his money and he was a disciple

Matt 27:57
57When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea named Joseph, who himself was a disciple of Jesus.

KhedetOrthos

Dec 13, 2019
One thing that has helped me is that we are not to behave in such a way as to make our brother or sister stumble. So we must not use our resources in such a way as to give them occasions to covet.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
Wealth comes in many guises. Material wealth is one iteration. It commands our attention but others draw equal interest when they’re lacking.

Consider the blind and deaf and the multitudes without their infirmities.
Or the mother struggling with infertility and the children she encounters every day.
Or the student who learns with ease and the other who struggles to keep up.
Or the one whose friends are plentiful and the next who goes without.
Or the person who goes to and fro and the other whose fears keep them home.

And so on. There is very little that we possess which another doesn’t need or crave in their heart. If we’re blessed with good health. Those who’ve lived with medical challenges would love to be in our shoes. If our home is clean and safe and our belly’s are full. We’ve exceeded the norms which many go without.

Disparity is many layered and it’s easy to emphasize one while ignoring another. And before we address another’s failures we must consider if we’ve done the same. Are we using what we’ve been given in the capacity He set or the one we’ve assigned?

Man frequently overestimates his goodness but time trackers are truth serums for the conscience. It’s easy to say where God stands and another when our lives corroborate our suspicion. If we put that to the test and count the minutes for prayer, study, worship, and service. Where does He fall in the lineup in light of our entertainment, interests, and distractions?

This is a popular tactic coaches and mentors use with their clients to dispel fallacies on output and time complaints. By tracking their behavior they confront the reality of their demands and commitments. Through this exercise they develop patience and grace for themselves and others.

Because they’re falling short and missing the mark like everyone else. So are we.