Wesley's 22 Holy Club Questions

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AsifinPassing

Senior Member
Jul 13, 2010
3,608
40
48
John Wesley’s Holy Club Questions. These are 22 questions the members of John Wesley’s Holy Club asked themselves every day in their private devotions over 200 years ago.

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
3. Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
4. Can I be trusted?
5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
6. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
7. Did the Bible live in me today?
8. Do I give it time to speak to me every day?
9. Am I enjoying prayer?
10. When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?
11. Do I pray about the money I spend?
12. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
13. Do I disobey God in anything?
14. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
16. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?
17. How do I spend my spare time?
18. Am I proud?
19. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
20. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward, or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
21. Do I grumble or complain constantly?
22. Is Christ real to me?

Makes you think, doesn't it?​
 
The only problem with this is that it causes you to be mostly self-centered during your devotions (me me me).. I think we only change and become more like Christ the more we center our thoughts on Him - what his concerns are - what he did during the day to bless us - his great grace - and especially the gift of His righteousness.
At least that is when I began to change.
 
Last edited:
Joidevivre;bt10422 said:
The only problem with this is that it causes you to be mostly self-centered during your devotions (me me me).. I think we only change and become more like Christ the more we center our thoughts on Him - what his concerns are - what he did during the day to bless us - his great grace - and especially the gift of His righteousness.
At least that is when I began to change.

Thank you, Joidevivre. You are right in that our focus should be more on Christ than anything else, including ourselves.

I will say, however, that upon reflection, the only thing we truly have any power to change or control over is ourselves. In that regard, introspection and self-realization are necessary steps toward improvement. I believe, in a Christ-based way, through scripture, the Holy Club questions attempt to aid us in taking that journey.