WHAT ARE PUBLIC SCHOOLS TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what about alaska and Hawaii.
What do they learn in school there. Or do they not count?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have a few Scholastic books about the American Civil war, but most people are more interested in World war one and two because it actually did involve the entire world not just the US.

In nz , the new zealand land wars are only just beginning to be taught in schools as part of history. Before it wasnt even part of the curriculum and glossed over or not even mentioned.

Probbaly because it was so shameful. Who wants to learn about war? Last century was so bloody and ruinous that its a wonder anybody survived.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
From an outsiders perspective it has always been about the divide between rich and poor in the US. Those who have and those who have not.
The big difference between the UK and Europe vs the United States was that there was no "class system", no nobility, no royalty vs the masses in America. Which means that a very poor person could overcome poverty and rise to whatever level he chose. And there are dozens of such examples. And because these is no class system, the Communists in America are using race to divide and conquer. But even blacks could rise from slavery to some of the highest offices of the land. Now if all the blacks would reject Black Racism and walk away from the Democrats, things could get back to normal.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
in nz state schools (public school) teachers are striking on Thursday. So if you have children that attend you better make lesson plans for them or give them the day off. Or make little protest signs for them if they want to march in the picket lines supporting their teachers for pay parity. Teachers get paid, but homeschool parents who teach dont get paid anything!
yes they do get paid Paid wiht kids who do have the mind of the state

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
Generally speaking I used 2 terms that are common for the war, depending upon the perspective of winners or the conquered. Lincoln's army conquered the Southern states, so guess who wrote the government text books? If you don't like me using the term "Northern Aggression, then take it up with the southern ancestors of those who lost family in that horrible war. I didn't invent it.

According to a dozen of historians, there were northern states that had legalized slavery and Lincoln had no problem with that being the defining cause of sending all of those men to be slaughtered for him and the bankers.

You keep repeating yourself. At least I posted a GIF to show that northern states that legalized slavery changed to free states well before the Civil War started in 1861 and posted the wiki link on the Civil War. You provided nothing but your spin.

It doesn't matter. The South LOST and a good thing too. Some people seem to want slavery to continue, but I'm glad that the Civil War set the slaves free = and so does God too!.

I do not want to send millinery funds of any sort to the Ukraine. As a citizen of the USA i am not the criminal who blew up the pipe line . How will that ugliness be told in history?
What are you even talking about? I've posted in other threads that I don't want the US sending any American soldiers, supplies or money to either side of the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
You keep repeating yourself. At least I posted a GIF to show that northern states that legalized slavery changed to free states well before the Civil War started in 1861 and posted the wiki link on the Civil War. You provided nothing but your spin.

It doesn't matter. The South LOST and a good thing too. Some people seem to want slavery to continue, but I'm glad that the Civil War set the slaves free = and so does God too!.

What are you even talking about? I've posted in other threads that I don't want the US sending any American soldiers, supplies or money to either side of the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
Seems we are in agreement on the Ukraine war... I did not see your posts on the Ukraine . Posting a bit about the Civil war put war in general on my mind . Thinking the idiots in DC will soon have us in a war , i posted my thoughts ... The gif was cool

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yes they do get paid Paid wiht kids who do have the mind of the state
really? Im not sure that 'homeschool' teachers get paid at all. If its you teach just your own children? But if you had a class of 30 in your own home maybe.

I dont know why they call it homeschool when its not even school. Its pretty much tutoring lessons and homework.

A school you learn with others in a class not just your own family.

Not to say learning at home doesnt work but dont try and say its a school when its not.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
Seems we are in agreement on the Ukraine war... I did not see your posts on the Ukraine . Posting a bit about the Civil war put war in general on my mind . Thinking the idiots in DC will soon have us in a war , i posted my thoughts ... The gif was cool
Thanks. I'm already upset that Biden gave SO MUCH money away. I don't think any of that went to the people of Ukraine to help them get through the war.

My brother was in the Army but he finished his term of duty, so I'm feeling apprehensive for our soldiers and what their families might go through if they're sent.

I just want the Lord Jesus to come back already.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Not sure what people have against state schools, private schools really arent much different just they get paid more and richer people go to them thats all.

Children are still the same, some learn, some dont - you get naughty children in both. lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Unfortunately what the state spends money on and what private business spends money on cant be controlled by anyone really except by the person in charge of spending that money.

if you get someone corrupt in power they might just spend it all on expsensive toys to impress other people as people tend to do when they 'get rich'. and not on whats actually needed or beneficial for others.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
really? Im not sure that 'homeschool' teachers get paid at all. If its you teach just your own children? But if you had a class of 30 in your own home maybe.

I dont know why they call it homeschool when its not even school. Its pretty much tutoring lessons and homework.

A school you learn with others in a class not just your own family.

Not to say learning at home doesnt work but dont try and say its a school when its not.
The payment of homeschooling i am speaking of is not $$$ it is in the value of knowing what is being taught to your children. Most the schools here in USA are over the top liberal. I worked at a small K-12 school 6 years, my sister is/was now retired, a teacher specializing in reading, different school

Dumb school... back in the mid 80s, the school was giving measles shots to the jr high and high school kids .. I saw in line a girl knowing the school gossip went to the nurse asked about the permissions asked if the girls were told not to take the shot if they thought they could be pregnant . They shut down the shots.. The school board , principal, superintendent teachers all failed . Looking over the sex-ed papers .. finding a paper on the advantages of oral sex. Walking the corridor i notice Jim snorting a line while in history class. His dad was part of the school board they did nothing... While aiding in the 4th grad kids were sitting on the top of desk under the them climbing on the countertops a real mess, using cheat slips for spelling tests. Another year 3rd grad the teacher is telling the kids 'this is our secret we will not tell anyone . One secret was for a classroom project the other she was looking for home abuse of some kind. This was in California.
The joy came when Timmy approached me saying thank you for helping me learn to read. :)

3 Home schooled grandkids.... 1 EMT taking classes to become a pilot .. ...a licensed building contractor ... the other IT problem solver

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Correction i was there 4 school years 6 hours per day.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
? home abuse?

I think some schools can be liberal while others can be conservative depending on their population demographics on nz its very much rich vs poor and you do have rich and poor suburbs. Also the Principal sets the direction and leadership for many schools and they can be very out of touch with what is really going on in the classrooms as they are not IN there everyday with the children/students.

There has always been a divide between teachers and management of schools.

in a 'homeschool' or rather your own home, you are it. There is no principal, secretary, accounts lady, caretaker, librarian, teacher aide etc that are all needed to run a a decent size school. Because you are not looking after the welfare of over a hundred children who come from various backgrounds and are all different individuals.

unfortunately when schools are run by boards of a few select parents etc, those parents put forth their own agendas. Their views may be very different or even opposing yours. Some schools do not have PTAs, which is a shame as parents DO want to help out and support their school to get the most learning for their children who spends most of the day there.

if you are blessed to have time to teach your own children all power to you, unfortunatley many parents dont have this luxtury they need to work and earn money to feed and clothe their children.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think in terms of teaching materials many things being taught in schools can be outdated and plain wrong, but teachers continue to teach them because they never have time for PD (professional development) or aware of a better way, they just get to what to do instead of actually taking responsibility for their own learning.

This is stupid and dumb because good teachers actually teach what they know not what they dont know or something out of someone elses textbook just because its in an exam.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Reading is super important and one of the basics that beed to be taught to empower your children, if they are not taught how to read or pick it up, school will be very hard for them and they will drop out.

Once you know how to read, you can learn for yourself. At first you will read anything but then you will learn to discern good literature from bad or low quality gossip and information. For example many people think that just because its in print, it must be true, but authors can make things up or lie. So discerning becomes important. Reading is not just looking at ads on the tv or in magazines.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
'Hippie' teachers can be the bane of classrooms lol.
If they like a joint or smoke outside of school they not necessarily going to be any good within it. Many many teachers smoke or drink as the job is so stressful. Teachers training colleges doesnt necessarily screen teacher trainees for morals. Some schools are so desperate for teachers they will take anyone, even those fresh out of graduate school who are in their 20s and not really dealt with any hard realities about life and work.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I had one school employ a Maori teacher who didnt have any teaching experience, he was in construction before, but he spoke maori. However his english was so bad that he couldnt write it properly so he just taught the children orally (not even written Maori) and the reliever said she had to write his reports for him because he didnt know how to construct a decent sentence. He thought he could just tick boxes.

But the schools need a maori teacher for their bilingual unit. I am all for culture and langauge being taught in schools but children also need to know how to read and write. Half his class didnt know how to read. I would go in with books and many asked me to read with them because they just didnt know how. The books and exercise books were left untouched in his classroom.

I was quite shocked that he was allowed to teach. Unfortunately this is bad for the children half of who, feared him because he clearly was not really teaching them anything that was going to be useful. They already know they are maori, but they also need to learn things like how to read and math and science! Children are very honest about whether their teachers are any good or not.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I had one school employ a Maori teacher who didnt have any teaching experience, he was in construction before, but he spoke maori.
A good example of "diversity, equity, and inclusion". You do not have to be qualified as long as you are an ethnic minority and play the race card.

Mar 1, 2023
Guess I'm clearly not a parent since I took mine out of public school to homeschool.

I had several reactions to your remark, but then I read your profile and it answered many of my questions.

View attachment 249162

'Nuff said :cautious:
God's girl why are you such a pretentious person? why have you taken such a hatred to me during my short time on the forum
You try homeschooling 4 kids with more reaching school age on average every 10 months

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
God's girl why are you such a pretentious person? why have you taken such a hatred to me during my short time on the forum
You try homeschooling 4 kids with more reaching school age on average every 10 months
I dont quite undertand how you had 13 children by the age of 18 as said in your profile.

Not hate but trying to undertand you situation..?
Are they multiples? And what do you mean by 'homeschool'. for some its just amounts to staying at home and doing homework. I dont think I would have minded but knowing my mother she would have made me do all the housework if I had stayed at home.