What are some "bad" movies that you happen to like?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Blackpowderduelist

Pretty ugly people
Danny deck chair
Such a beautiful day
Wizards
Anything with, Ernest
One week.
Bone tomahawk
Peanut butter falcon
Maximum overdrive
Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen

There is more, and I can go on, but I'll stop here.

Dec 23, 2019
godfoundme.weebly.com
This is an exciting time in the church world wide...
If it’s in the book I don’t remember and haven’t heard of those things, but that’s good the charismatic movement had Pentecostal roots. I had also heard of false “kundalini” spirits and how that’s gone into churches as well. I had never experienced anything like it, but first felt the Holy Spirit back about 8 years ago. It was through a Catholic charismatic event. The priest spoke in tongues and laid hands on me as he prayed and I simultaneously felt God’s love, repentance, and healing. It took another 4 years of Bible study and prayer to be led by the Spirit into the truth in Christ. Faith comes by not just hearing but also reading, and I hadn’t really read my Bible on my own before that outside of Sundays. The Bible does say that in the last days God will pour out his spirit and I think it’s been going on which is why Satan also has his counterfeit versions. Anything that contradicts Scripture is not from God. After that initial experience, I had to discern what was from God and what was not. Some I don’t claim to know, but the whole “you shall know them by their fruit” applies and sometimes you just have to wait and see and eventually the truth will be revealed.

In the early church (see Acts 10), when Peter was struggling about the gospel being not just for Jews but also for Gentiles, he kept having that dream/vision God sent him about the food being made clean. He didn’t understand. After preaching to Cornelius and those there, then he saw the Holy Spirit fall and be poured out on everyone. The circumcised believers were surprised, but he was like can anyone deny baptism for them who have received the Spirit as we have? When I was still Catholic, I too noticed this when I saw that just as the Catholic priest in our church had the Holy Spirit and gift of tongues and healing, some Christians outside the church had it as well. And it was worth noting that it is for whoever believes in Christ. Yet initially, like Apollos the Jew before Priscilla and Aquila helped explain the way more accurately, I still had an incomplete understanding. Everything happens on God’s timing and through the Spirit that leads us to the ultimate truth in Jesus.

And yes, I think the charismatic movement is still somewhat controversial even within the Catholic church. Some parishes, priests, and popes in favor, some against, and some cautionary/wary but not for or against saying it’s up to individuals to discern… But for the most part, I haven’t heard or seen anyone get mistreated or kicked out and such. I think people are more receptive to it nowadays as well. That or they avoid it and move on. As for how most Christians view it, I don’t know. But most nonbelievers don’t believe in God let alone in people that claim they know the Holy Spirit works today. I think most would be skeptical at the very least if they don’t outright condemn it and claim to be cessationists.

Dec 23, 2019
godfoundme.weebly.com
I agree that the book was much better...
I didn’t know Pat Boone was a Baptist, but it makes a little more sense now why there was a disconnect between the book and movie. It’s a bit strange that they chose to make the movie in the first place if they were so averse to what the book said… And the fact that not all actors in a Christian movie are Christian was not something I considered. Maybe I was assuming they were because they chose to participate in it, but it’s a job like any other so maybe it’s not a requirement. And I guess the producers/directors just chose to skip over anything that made them uncomfortable and took it a different direction…

Yes, the power of the Holy Spirit is apparent in the book and in David Wilkerson’s preaching. I’ve heard a few sermon clips from him. Too bad he’s no longer with us. That’s great that you got to meet him, he prophesied that, and you have been preaching like that. I’m glad Teen Challenge is still around and works. Previously, I only ever heard of Alcoholics Anonymous. To differentiate it from AA or any other rehab centers, I wonder… Does Teen Challenge still use the Holy Spirit like they do in the book? Or does that depend on who is leading at each center? Because, like the gap between the book and movie, that could make a big difference in whether that particular center is effective or not. I hope they are using the Holy Spirit and then the year to also be fed with the Word :)

Dec 23, 2019
godfoundme.weebly.com
The book is ALWAYS better than the movie...
I’d agree that the book is better than the movie in most cases. I think there’s a few exceptions. I can think of 2 right now. You might disagree, but I personally liked the Old Yeller and A Walk to Remember movies better than the books. In almost all other cases, the book is way better :)

S

Scribe

I didn’t know Pat Boone was a Baptist, but it makes a little more sense now why there was a disconnect between the book and movie. It’s a bit strange that they chose to make the movie in the first place if they were so averse to what the book said… And the fact that not all actors in a Christian movie are Christian was not something I considered. Maybe I was assuming they were because they chose to participate in it, but it’s a job like any other so maybe it’s not a requirement. And I guess the producers/directors just chose to skip over anything that made them uncomfortable and took it a different direction…

Yes, the power of the Holy Spirit is apparent in the book and in David Wilkerson’s preaching. I’ve heard a few sermon clips from him. Too bad he’s no longer with us. That’s great that you got to meet him, he prophesied that, and you have been preaching like that. I’m glad Teen Challenge is still around and works. Previously, I only ever heard of Alcoholics Anonymous. To differentiate it from AA or any other rehab centers, I wonder… Does Teen Challenge still use the Holy Spirit like they do in the book? Or does that depend on who is leading at each center? Because, like the gap between the book and movie, that could make a big difference in whether that particular center is effective or not. I hope they are using the Holy Spirit and then the year to also be fed with the Word :)
Most of the Adult and Teen Challenge Centers (that is what they call it now) are still lead by leaders who understand the need for the emphasis on prayer, and seeking God and the dynamic of the Holy Spirit and all the spiritual gifts that He provides.

There are some that are lead by "reformist type" leaders who tend to downplay the traditional message that Teen Challenge started with and they will sort of skip over all the "speaking in tongues" or Holy Spirit baptism theology as presented in the Cross and the Switchblade. They just don't mention it. They don't preach against it but rather ignore it. These leader as in the minority. They would probably not be allowed to preach or teach full fledged Calvinsim to the students without the National Directors asking them to stop, but they would be allowed to believe it and keep it to themselves. The academic curriculum includes a section on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues, but they can easily skip that chapter and no one will say anything to them.

I think that is a tragedy and also the reason why those particular centers see many more relapses and a lower success rate from graduates. Just lasting a year and graduating is not going to work if you are not consumed with Jesus Christ and on fire for God wanting to evangelize the world, which is what the Baptism of the Holy Spirit produces. Being involved in ministry, called and empowered by the Holy Spirit has a lot to do with why those graduates are still clean and live holy lives 10 years later. The reformist seem so sure about their doctrine and yet their disciples are the worst in holiness, and in relapse. They don't seem to recognize that there is a connection between their doctrine and the fruit of their disciples. I have rarely met a reformist in Teen Challenge that was not half baked and a compromiser.

The trend of "reformist" leaders in Teen Challenge centers is matching the same trend in "reformist" preachers showing up in Charismatic and Pentecostal non denomination churches today. I have a theory that social media is persuading the unlearned to accept a philosophical reasoning that passes as interpretation but is not.

It might be a good idea to ask the director of the Teen Challenge center you want to recommend to addicts in your area if they are reformist or calvinists and if so, call another center. Most of the directors are going to be more in agreement with the Assemblies of God doctrine but many are non denominational and yet their beliefs match more with the Assemblies of God than with reformists. Why does it matter? The reformist will not teach or give the students the opportunity to seek for and receive that subsequent experience called the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues which is what made such a difference to all those early Teen Challenge students who went on to change the world, and who are still pastoring and in ministry today.

IToreTheSky

Aug 20, 2020
N.Y.
Pretty much all the Stephen King movies were terrible EXCEPT The Shining!

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
Pretty much all the Stephen King movies were terrible EXCEPT The Shining!
Ironically, Stephen King didn't even like The Shining movie. He apparently disliked it because it wasn't faithful to his book.

Personally though, I happen to love The Shining myself. In fact, it's probably my favorite movie. Not just my favorite horror movie, but my favorite movie in general.

It's also one of the most parodied movies as well. The Simpsons being just one example.

IToreTheSky

Aug 20, 2020
N.Y.
Ironically, Stephen King didn't even like The Shining movie. He apparently disliked it because it wasn't faithful to his book.

Personally though, I happen to love The Shining myself. In fact, it's probably my favorite movie. Not just my favorite horror movie, but my favorite movie in general.

It's also one of the most parodied movies as well. The Simpsons being just one example.

I remember him saying that about the film when they did the TV version of it. I couldn't stand the kid who played Danny in it. The guy from wings did a good job at being a nutter though. Did you read Dr. Sleep? I never saw the film but the book was good.

Dec 23, 2019
godfoundme.weebly.com
Most of the Adult and Teen Challenge Centers (that is what they call it now) are still lead by leaders who understand the need for the emphasis on prayer, and seeking God and the dynamic of the Holy Spirit and all the spiritual gifts that He provides...
That is so good to hear that most of the centers are still following the original style and focus. It’s the Holy Spirit that makes a difference. Those are good questions, but I wonder if they are allowed to share that they are Reformist or Calvinist? In public schools, teachers are not allowed to share what their faith is if they have one, but students can share. Why? Because they say government representatives can’t endorse a particular faith. Maybe they wouldn’t allow those hired Calvinists/Reformers to admit they are because the Adult and Teen Challenge centers don’t support that theology. If they can’t, then maybe ask if the center believes in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and whether anyone at their center speaks in tongues and note their reaction. Are they enthusiastic or do they seem uncomfortable? The Holy Spirit imparts different gifts so I don’t think everybody needs to speak in tongues, but it does seem like an especially powerful part of this ministry.