What are you listening to?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godsgirl83

I've posted other versions of this song in the past in other parts of CC........
this one just just came on and is a great reminder for me today

Sep 6, 2014
1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

Philippians 3:9
And be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.​

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

Philippians 3:9
And be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.​
What a wonderful song!

Sep 6, 2014

Acts 4:11-12
This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.’ 12Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

John 6:40
And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

You give life, You are love
You bring light to the darkness
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken

Great are You, Lord
It's Your breath in our lungs
So we pour out our praise
We pour out our praise

So we pour out our praise to You only
(You give life) you give life, You are love
You bring light to the darkness

You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken
Great are You, Lord

We pour out our praise

We pour out our praise

And all the earth will shout Your praise
Our hearts will cry, these bones will sing
Great are You, Lord

Great are You, Lord

Great are You, Lord

We pour out our praise

To You only

We pour out our praise

To You only

Jun 20, 2019
Shai Linne. If you’ve never listened to any of his songs, I highly recommend it. Very theological. He and Timothy Brindle are my two favorites to listen to

J

Jenny23

Love so many genres. I’ve been enjoying opera lately. Great to clean to.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Love so many genres. I’ve been enjoying opera lately. Great to clean to.
Have you heard any of the music of Paul Schwartz? He takes classic pieces and operatic arias and puts them to modern/ambient music, making them more accessible to those who may not listen to such genres. Here is an example from his "State of Grace" CD, with Paul on piano and Lisbeth Scott performing the vocals:

Here are the lyrics as sung in Latin, and also translated into English :)

1. Veni, redemptor gentium;
ostende partum Virginis;
miretur omne saeculum:
talis decet partus Deum.

Come, thou Redeemer of the earth,
and manifest thy virgin-birth:
let every age adoring fall;
such birth befits the God of all.

2. Non ex virili semine,
Sed mystico spiramine
Verbum Dei factum caro
Fructusque ventris floruit.

Begotten of no human will,
But of the Spirit, Thou art still
The Word of God in flesh arrayed,
The promised fruit to men displayed.

3. Alvus tumescit Virginis,
Claustra pudoris permanent,
Vexilla virtutum micant,
Versatur in templo Deus.

The virgin womb that burden gained
With virgin honor all unstained;
The banners there of virtue glow;
God in His temple dwells below.

4. Procedens de thalamo suo,
Pudoris aula regia,
Gemine gigas substantiae,
Alacris ut currat viam.

Forth from His chamber goeth He,
That royal home of purity,
A giant in two-fold substance one,
Rejoicing now His course to run.

5. Egressus ejus a Patre,
Regressus ejus ad Patrem:
Excursus usque ad inferos
Recursus ad sedem Dei.

From God the Father He proceeds,
To God the Father back He speeds;
His course He runs to death and hell,
Returning on God's throne to dwell.

6. Aequalis eterno Patri,
Carnis trophato accingere:
Infirma nostri corporis
Virtute firmans perpeti.

O equal to the Father, Thou!
Gird on Thy fleshly mantle now;
The weakness of our mortal state
With deathless might invigorate.

7. Presepe jam fulget tuum,
Lumenque nox spirat novum,
Quod nulla nox interpolet,
Fideque jugi luceat.

Thy cradle here shall glitter bright
And darkness breathe a newer light,
Where endless faith shall shine serene,
And twilight never intervene.

Paul Schwartz produced a series of CDs called Aria. He was Andre Previn's assistant conductor with the Pittsburgh Symphony and musical director for Andrew Lloyd Webber 's Phanton of the Opera. Some of the full CDs can be found on youtube :)

**************************************************************************************

If you like listening to sung Latin at all (I do!) you may also like this by Pilgrimage, with Catherine Bott on vocals:

Rodney Batdorf on youtube had this to say of the above CD: 9 Songs of Ecstasy is an evocative and frequently haunting album that offers a musical interpretation of the travels of the medieval pilgrims who roamed northwestern Spain in the 13th century.

Composers/arrangers/producers Simon Cloquet and Eric Calvi based much of their music on traditional melodies and brought these timeless tunes into the 20th century. Alternating their stylistic approach between contemporary instrumental, space rock, ambient, and trip-hop, Cloquet and Calvi create a hypnotic array of soundscapes with the assistance of such collaborators as Phil Manzanera, DJ Spooky, and Ben Neill, but what holds 9 Songs of Ecstasy together is the lovely singing of Catherine Bott, who gives the music a spiritual, human core with her wonderful voice. The end result is a record unlike any other.

**************************************************************************************

Another amazing artist/composer/performer's work is Richard Souther's treatment of Hildegarrd von Bingen's medieval chants. The music is amazing, and quite unlike any others who interpret her work. I hope you enjoy it, and highly recommend both Vision: The Music Of Hildegard von Bingen, and Illumination (Hildegard von Bingen: The Fire of the Spirit). The CDs include 30+ page booklets with multiple language translations of the lyrics, as well as telling how the music came together… I find the back stories fascinating. One of the vocalists is a nun :DHere is the opening piece from Vision:

J

Jenny23

Have you heard any of the music of Paul Schwartz? He takes classic pieces and operatic arias and puts them to modern/ambient music, making them more accessible to those who may not listen to such genres. Here is an example from his "State of Grace" CD, with Paul on piano and Lisbeth Scott performing the vocals:

Here are the lyrics as sung in Latin, and also translated into English :)

1. Veni, redemptor gentium;
ostende partum Virginis;
miretur omne saeculum:
talis decet partus Deum.

Come, thou Redeemer of the earth,
and manifest thy virgin-birth:
let every age adoring fall;
such birth befits the God of all.

2. Non ex virili semine,
Sed mystico spiramine
Verbum Dei factum caro
Fructusque ventris floruit.

Begotten of no human will,
But of the Spirit, Thou art still
The Word of God in flesh arrayed,
The promised fruit to men displayed.

3. Alvus tumescit Virginis,
Claustra pudoris permanent,
Vexilla virtutum micant,
Versatur in templo Deus.

The virgin womb that burden gained
With virgin honor all unstained;
The banners there of virtue glow;
God in His temple dwells below.

4. Procedens de thalamo suo,
Pudoris aula regia,
Gemine gigas substantiae,
Alacris ut currat viam.

Forth from His chamber goeth He,
That royal home of purity,
A giant in two-fold substance one,
Rejoicing now His course to run.

5. Egressus ejus a Patre,
Regressus ejus ad Patrem:
Excursus usque ad inferos
Recursus ad sedem Dei.

From God the Father He proceeds,
To God the Father back He speeds;
His course He runs to death and hell,
Returning on God's throne to dwell.

6. Aequalis eterno Patri,
Carnis trophato accingere:
Infirma nostri corporis
Virtute firmans perpeti.

O equal to the Father, Thou!
Gird on Thy fleshly mantle now;
The weakness of our mortal state
With deathless might invigorate.

7. Presepe jam fulget tuum,
Lumenque nox spirat novum,
Quod nulla nox interpolet,
Fideque jugi luceat.

Thy cradle here shall glitter bright
And darkness breathe a newer light,
Where endless faith shall shine serene,
And twilight never intervene.

Paul Schwartz produced a series of CDs called Aria. He was Andre Previn's assistant conductor with the Pittsburgh Symphony and musical director for Andrew Lloyd Webber 's Phanton of the Opera. Some of the full CDs can be found on youtube :)

If you like listening to sung Latin at all (I do!) you may also like this by Pilgrimage, with Catherine Bott on vocals:

Rodney Batdorf on youtube had this to say of the above CD: 9 Songs of Ecstasy is an evocative and frequently haunting album that offers a musical interpretation of the travels of the medieval pilgrims who roamed northwestern Spain in the 13th century.

Composers/arrangers/producers Simon Cloquet and Eric Calvi based much of their music on traditional melodies and brought these timeless tunes into the 20th century. Alternating their stylistic approach between contemporary instrumental, space rock, ambient, and trip-hop, Cloquet and Calvi create a hypnotic array of soundscapes with the assistance of such collaborators as Phil Manzanera, DJ Spooky, and Ben Neill, but what holds 9 Songs of Ecstasy together is the lovely singing of Catherine Bott, who gives the music a spiritual, human core with her wonderful voice. The end result is a record unlike any other.

Another amazing artist/composer/performer's work is Richard Souther's treatment of Hildegarrd von Bingen's medieval chants. The music is amazing, and quite unlike any others who interpret her work. I hope you enjoy it, and highly recommend both Vision: The Music Of Hildegard von Bingen, and Illumination (Hildegard von Bingen: The Fire of the Spirit). The CDs include 30+ page booklets with multiple language translations of the lyrics, as well as telling how the music came together… I find the back stories fascinating. One of the vocalists is a nun :DHere is the opening piece from Vision:

I haven't. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I haven't. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome! You might also really like the music of Delerium, a Canadian new-age ambient electronic musical duo that originally formed in 1987 as a side project for Front Line Assembly. Their musical style has encompassed ethereal ambient trance, voiceless industrial soundscapes, and electronic pop music. They are best known for their worldwide hit "Silence" (on the "Karma" CD) which was sung by Sarah McLachlan. Their earliest music as the duo of Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber was almost completely devoid of voices, but they subsequently began featuring many guest female artists, including, among others, Kristy Thirsk, Leigh Nash (of Sixpence None the Richer), Elsieanne Caplette (of Elsiane), Lisa Gerrard (of Dead Can Dance, sampled only), Jaël (of Swiss band Lunik), Camille Henderson, Nerina Pallot, Emily Haines (of Metric), Jacqui Hunt (of Single Gun Theory), Isabel Bayrakdarian and Shelley Harland. Other than Leeb, only three males have contributed vocals to a Delerium album: Matthew Sweet ("Daylight", on Poem), Greg Froese ("Apparition", on Nuages du Monde), and Michael Logen ("Days Turn Into Nights", on Music Box Opera); in addition, the noted griot (a griot is a member of a class of traveling poets, musicians, and storytellers who maintain a tradition of oral history in parts of West Africa) Baaba Maal was sampled ("Awakenings, on "Spiritual Archives"). Here is a song from their "POEM" CD :)

Karma, Poem, Chimera, and Semantic Spaces are CDs of theirs I have been
deeply immersed in :D he first three I would highly recommend to anyone :)

Baaba Maal was mentioned above. I love this piece featuring him with Mumford and Sons :)