What are you reading?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I finished reading The Odyssey and am now reading The Foxes of Harrow by Frank Yerby. I should finish it today, it is not very good.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I started reading The Inklings by Philip and Carol Zaleski. It is about the group of Christian thinkers in Oxford who exchanged ideas about philosophy, literature, religion, ethics, etc. The book focuses on four Inklings: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Owen Barfield, and Charles Williams. Most of the background information about Lewis and Tolkien I knew already. Lewis was not a saint in his past, just in case anyone has him on a pedestal. The book is very easy to read.

T

Tinuviel

I started reading The Inklings by Philip and Carol Zaleski. It is about the group of Christian thinkers in Oxford who exchanged ideas about philosophy, literature, religion, ethics, etc. The book focuses on four Inklings: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Owen Barfield, and Charles Williams. Most of the background information about Lewis and Tolkien I knew already. Lewis was not a saint in his past, just in case anyone has him on a pedestal. The book is very easy to read.
I've heard of that one; sound like a good read. Does Dorthy Sayers get mentioned? I cannot remember if she was strictly one of the Inklings, or just friends/acquaintances with several of them.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I've heard of that one; sound like a good read. Does Dorthy Sayers get mentioned? I cannot remember if she was strictly one of the Inklings, or just friends/acquaintances with several of them.
I’m about 100 pages in, and the authors are still fleshing out the backgrounds of the four. Sayers was mentioned along with a group of other writers and thinkers who attended Inkling meetings occasionally. I don’t think she was a “regular”. I think it is a good book so far, but hope that anyone who reads it won’t be shocked by Lewis’ past.

T

Tinuviel

I’m about 100 pages in, and the authors are still fleshing out the backgrounds of the four. Sayers was mentioned along with a group of other writers and thinkers who attended Inkling meetings occasionally. I don’t think she was a “regular”. I think it is a good book so far, but hope that anyone who reads it won’t be shocked by Lewis’ past.
That would make sense. I wasn't sure how she fit in with them.

I've read some things on Lewis' past. Kind of a messed up guy. Grace is an amazing thing :). (Don't know why anyone should be shocked by anyone's BC days...but a lot of people are).

Feb 28, 2016
we already know the answer to this question, but, why??? why???
will not 'people who claim to know our Holy Saviour, READ their Bibles???
carry them where ever they go???

I will share a 'special secrret', when you take your Bible with you, at all times,
it will give you something that most will be amazed with when you speak with them
from your heart...

Last edited:

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and Paradise Lost at the same time.

Once I'm done with TGD, I may move on to another one of the Four Horseman's books, or pick up a re-buttle. I just burning to read The Devil's Delusion by David Berlinski.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I usually read only the Bible(tried to read some authors I used to enjoy, but can't anymore). I often read papers written by theologians in Christian journals. I still enjoy Louis Lamour's books occasionally.

T

Tinuviel

I usually read only the Bible(tried to read some authors I used to enjoy, but can't anymore). I often read papers written by theologians in Christian journals. I still enjoy Louis Lamour's books occasionally.
Currently, I'm only reading the Bible, as well. That and school books. Not because I wouldn't love to read something else, but because I simply don't have time right now.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Every Christian should pick up David Berlinski's The Devil's Delusion. It's one of the best critiques of modern atheism.
It's a little short, but he packs a lot into a little space. Plus he's probably a tad too liberal with the use of invective. I find him somewhat comparable to Martin Luther in this way with all the attending advantages and disadvantages.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I devoured it in an evening. Totally hooked. I'm tempted to just read it again.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I finished reading The Inklings, it was interesting. I really hope God lets me go to college in Heaven and let me listen to these guys lecture and debate. One Inkling who was an older Oxford student and a retired major from WWII, said he did not have much to contribute but listened to these brilliant men argue and go to Homer in Greek to make points was a joy. The more I read about Lewis, the more I like him. He was a very beautiful man. When his wife was ill with cancer, he prayed to have her pain transferred to himself. His friend Charles Williams had theorized substitionary pain. Lewis genuinely believed it. He developed osteoporosis and for a time, his wife got better. This was so touching to read. I am very glad they are in Heaven together.

Another thing I discovered was a genuine affection and sympathy for Warnie Lewis. I am like him in many ways (although not brilliant enough to write books about French history).

I am now reading a novel called Sir Christopher by Maud Wilder Goodwin. It was written in 1901 and is about the settlers in Maryland in the 1640s. Sir Christopher is a Protestant in love with a Catholic woman. Apparently, there was a lot of hostility between the Catholics and Protestants in 1640s Maryland. The author alluded to this in the introduction.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Currently, I'm only reading the Bible, as well. That and school books. Not because I wouldn't love to read something else, but because I simply don't have time right now.
I used to love reading other books, but now only the Bible holds my interest, or writings about the Bible.

T

Tinuviel

I used to love reading other books, but now only the Bible holds my interest, or writings about the Bible.
I go through those stages too. I've been reading C. S. Lewis lately. I just finished The Great Divorce. Strange...but very insightful of course, being Lewis. I'm now trying to get into The Abolition of Man, which is about as different as possible and quite the shock. I'm also reading a devotional book, and plenty, plenty, plenty of school books. Oh, and I finished The Idylls of the King...finally. Sad, of course; but well done.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
The KJV 1611.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I'm looking into courses in Greek, so I can read the Bible (New Testament), in its original...
Nice. I'm learning the Koine Greek, and attempting the ancient Hebrew also, so I can read the original writings.

T

Tinuviel

Nice. I'm learning the Koine Greek, and attempting the ancient Hebrew also, so I can read the original writings.
I tried it on my own, and concluded I probably needed a class room, or at the very least an online tutor :eek:. So hopefully in college here soon.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I wish you success in your endeavor.