What bible for study?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Reellv, first off (since I see that you are a new member), welcome to CChat :)

When I became a Christian (more than 34 years ago now) I started off with the KJV (because that was the only Bible that I owned). My pastor recommended that I get something easier to read, so I ended up with the NIV .. because someone gave me a copy (and I loved it .. in fact, I still do).

I continued with the NIV until I became a more serious student of the Bible/started looking far more closely and carefully at what the Text was actually saying, which is when I was introduced to the NASB (which I believe is the most accurate and literal translation among our modern translations). In fact, I was so impressed with what I found in the NASB that I went back and rememorized the verses/passages that I had formerly memorized in the NIV, in the NASB instead.

Compare, for instance, the NASB and the NIV (both from back then) in this verse.

Matthew 11
12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force. (NASB 77')​
Matthew 11
12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it. (NIV 84')​

While I do not necessarily disagree with the NIV's paraphrasing in this case, the point is, I wanted to know what the original text said so that I could look into it myself, rather than relying on what a translation team had decided that it meant, for me. The good news is (in this case anyway), the newer edition of the NIV, and the NIVUK (which I believe is a better NIV translation), has translated that verse in a way that is much closer to the NASB.

So, the NASB has become my go-to translation, but I regularly use many other translations as well whenever I study the Bible (as I've found that they are almost like a commentary on the Text from different linguists' POV .. and no translation is always the best translation of every verse in the Bible). They include the KJV, NKJV, ESV, NIVUK, NLT, GWT and others. I think that we are, in fact, BLESSED to have so many translations available to us today :)

As far as Study Bibles go, the two that I principally use are the MacArthur Study Bible and the ESV Study Bible (the MacArthur is available in many translations, including the NASB, while the ESV Study Bible is only available in the ESV translation .. a great, modern translation that is more accurate but slightly less readable than the NIV, but less accurate/more easily readable than the NASB .. and as such, has become the translation choice of many these days, just FYI).

You can go here to compare many different translations, all on the same page. Perhaps you can find one that you are most comfortable with there :)

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - the following passage, as well all of the verses/passages in my signature line below, are NASB 95' .. except Matthew 7:12, which is NASB 77', just FYI.

1 Thessalonians 5
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body
be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
My personal taste would be the ESV study bible. You've been given a few above. ESV, NIV would be a good starting point. Personally I wouldn't recommend the King James anymore, too far outdated in my opinion. And especially not the Schofield study bible.. Just my opinion though. If Dispensationalism is your flavour go for the Mac Arthur study bible instead of Schofield.

But in the end you'll have to decide for yourself.

The best advice would be to ask your own Pastor/Minister!

P.s welcome to cc.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
My personal taste would be the ESV study bible. You've been given a few above. ESV, NIV would be a good starting point. Personally I wouldn't recommend the King James anymore, too far outdated in my opinion. And especially not the Schofield study bible.. Just my opinion though. If Dispensationalism is your flavour go for the Mac Arthur study bible instead of Schofield.

But in the end you'll have to decide for yourself.

The best advice would be to ask your own Pastor/Minister!

P.s welcome to cc.
Kjv , its the most reliable and trusted. Esv is the calvinist bible. Niv is ...just terrible .

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
one with big print and space to write notes.
It will take a bashing.

Personally I just read KJV and use any separate bible study with it, no matter what version the author prefers. The biblical references (chapter and verse numbers) should actually be the same for any version.

why kjv, because other versions can have words missing and even entire verses, so I can be sure Im not missing anything.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
i have a NKJV study Bible from the 90's. very good one.

D

DWR

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I would recommend the NASB 1995 or 2020. The NASB is originally an American version of the ESV. The ESV is good also.

The NIV has had some serious faults in its earlier versions. The KJV is tainted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who did so to solidify his position of Archbishop in the Church of England. This was his second attempt, the first being the Bishop's Bible.

Some examples of his tainting is he made the translators use the word 'bishop', which was never in the original text. He also had the name Nympha deliberately changed to Nymphas, because he personally believed women had no place of importance in the church.
Check other versions & see for yourself, because you deserve to know the truth.:)

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The answers on here may or may not be helpful as its clear the same translation recommended is frowned upon by another lol 😆

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I would recommend the NASB 1995 or 2020. The NASB is originally an American version of the ESV. The ESV is good also.

The NIV has had some serious faults in its earlier versions. The KJV is tainted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who did so to solidify his position of Archbishop in the Church of England. This was his second attempt, the first being the Bishop's Bible.

Some examples of his tainting is he made the translators use the word 'bishop', which was never in the original text. He also had the name Nympha deliberately changed to Nymphas, because he personally believed women had no place of importance in the church.
Check other versions & see for yourself, because you deserve to know the truth.:)

i read through the [n i v] a few years ago.

not a good translation.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
If you are unsure about versions you can look online for free for a while and compare like this.
John 1 NIVUK;CSB - The Word became flesh - In the - Bible Gateway

I'm not sure what a "study bible" is. I have my Bibles & I study them. I find space for notes useful but I don't personally
like anyone's commentary built into my bible. All my Bible dictionaries & archaeological references are separate books.

D

DWR

If you are unsure about versions you can look online for free for a while and compare like this.
John 1 NIVUK;CSB - The Word became flesh - In the - Bible Gateway

I'm not sure what a "study bible" is. I have my Bibles & I study them. I find space for notes useful but I don't personally
like anyone's commentary built into my bible. All my Bible dictionaries & archaeological references are separate books.
People fail to understand that a "study Bible" contains what other people think the Word means.
They are full of opinions and private interpretations of the Word.

Oct 19, 2020
I use a Dake's KJV Bible. it comes with a complete Concordance. It's great for Bible Study and the perfect Bible when you're Teaching or Preaching.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont really like study bibles that have the scripture and someone else has written their own opinion or comments all over it. It also makes the Bible twice as big, so you are looking at a huge hefty tome! It makes it into a daunting textbook too.

I personally think its best to read the Bible alone and have separate books to study and a notebook to write in.

Yes its great to study the Bible, but also, I kinda think God wants us to enjoy His word as well. and read it for pleasure too.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I use a Dake's KJV Bible. it comes with a complete Concordance. It's great for Bible Study and the perfect Bible when you're Teaching or Preaching.
My first study bible was a brown leather Dake. It was helpful, but as time went by I began to find little inconsistencies in it, especially when it came to separation of races. Something about it was God's will that blacks & whites are supposed to stay separate. I found that appalling & racist.
I threw it away after that.

Oct 19, 2020
My first study bible was a brown leather Dake. It was helpful, but as time went by I began to find little inconsistencies in it, especially when it came to separation of races. Something about it was God's will that blacks & whites are supposed to stay separate. I found that appalling & racist.
I threw it away after that.
I never said I agreed with Dake's own views and commentary. But the Concordance is pretty much align with Strong's or Young's. As far as a Bible + Concordance, it's pretty decent.

But then again, years ago I began reading the Tanakh for a much better view of the Old Testament (y)