What can I do to change my wifes hostility towards me?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 3, 2021
Well, I mean
I read one post about what to do if it's abuse. It was sound advice.

To me, it sort of sounds like normal women's hormonal issues that she hasn't learned to cope with.

I mean, it happens to a lot of women (including me when I was younger)

We get put into this shame. That if we admit we have hormonal issues, then we aren't fit to have an opinion therefore, many women deny it. They deny it as though their life depended on it.

We do have hormones that can impact out outlook on life greatly. For me, it makes me literally crazy.

The only reason I see through it better now, is because of the Holy Spirit putting me in my place and I literally had the experience of thinking like a man (hormonally) meaning, that my emotions were in the back seat, and my logic was in the front seat. (This was after child birth so my hormones were all over the place) When women are feelin hormonal, the emotions are in the front seat tryin' to take the wheel. And full on succeed at times. And it's like this all the time. (Unless on birth control which to each their own.)

This might sound weird but maybe invite her to do some hiking or sports with your guy friends or in a place where there's a ton of testosterone. Whenever I go to martial arts, I feel leveled out by all the testosterone. (I imagine it's the sort of the same when a bunch of women come together and their monthly syncs. The testosterones might help her? Don't know it's just scientifically proven. It's just anectodical how I felt.) I also don't know how you guys are with mental commitment. It matters. Like when I was young, impure thoughts were an issue, but after much focus, impure thoughts aren't as much of a concern. Just depends on the individual.

Pray for her a lot. Pray for you a lot.

The only thing that soften my hardened heart and mind was Jesus.

Also, it is possible to see through the cloud of hormones, but it takes practice. A lot of focus.

I still struggle greatly.

It is really weird. Like I understand her. Like it feels like she's not there.
Because it's like you literally think you are correct. And that you're feelings are justified. To add fuel to the fire, no one corrects women and their hormones these days. So, there's nothing but kind words and support. So you really know you're right.
Then you come off that high. Then you start thinking again. Then you start questioning. "Maybe I was wrong. O gosh, what did he say?" Because sometimes you really don't hear what the other person said. Then you are able to start to reason again. Start asking questions again. Then you realize, o gosh, I am wrong. Then you apologize.

That's how it was for me. Like, if you can imagine thinking something is really true, and then realize it's not true. That's how it feels, pretty consistently. Maybe she should
Question.
Being humble was the best thing.
And training the brain.
Like, instead of worshipping with emotion.
Maybe try printing out certain parts of the bible and say "I am going to live this way".
And put a lot of focus on it.
Like focus on it like your life depended on it.
(because scientifically focus changes the neurons in the brain.)

I'm not sure if what I said is biblical.

Also, like, try to also be an example. I know it's extremely difficult. Because I'm going through the same thing. Like do I have to live this way? Emotionally hurt and challenged by my spouse. And, well, once we're married, for the most part we do. (Abuse is different) but this how it is it seems. To carry our cross.

For me, in my trying times the book of James helped me. James Chapter 1. I printed it out and put it in my pocket. My pastor said in church once that we can't rely on our feelings and our experiences and that we need to rely on the word of God. That if your feelings and experiences are going against the word of God, well then, we know what's right. This is still difficult for me. But I agree with him 100%. I still give way into my hurt emotions, my past experiences, my hormones. But I atleast know now, James chapter 1.

I'll really pray for the both of you. These things aren't easy. In fact, it gets right down to who we are at our core, and sometimes, it's depressing to see how foolish we are without Jesus. Thankfully Jesus died for all our sins. And we just gotta keep picking up our cross and the armour of Christ.

It seems never ending, but gotta just keep at it.

If the unbelieving leave, then the believer is not at fault. But if it's the marriage you want, then it's the marriage you want. Jesus lived the punishment of our sins for us. One time when I cried to Jesus "Why?" about my pain, I was meant with the Holy Spirit sayin "The whole world cries out why why, when Jesus on the cross cried out forgive them father, for they know not what they do." I remember this because I was so distraught with my marriage. I was also told "It's okay to not know"

Sometimes it's okay to not be wise, heal and just feel the mercy of Jesus Christ. We all try so hard to be in control, when we gotta not lean on our own understanding and lean on Christ instead.

Constant teachings of being humble. Of letting go of the control. Live and let live. Forgive. Repent. Forever on.

Well, I mean, all I can say is I understand both of ya'll.

It sounds like you area good guy. That you aren't out to try and demean and belittle her and you are simply doing your best to keep your marriage.

I'm glad I read your post because my husband and I are going through similar issues.
Not exactly the same, but similar.

For me my husband is selfish but calls me selfish.
Gets angry, but blames my anger.
Acts out, but points out my iniquity.
Is convinced that I am the source of all his troubles.
That if I would just act in accordance to his wishes
all would be well
regardless how I feel.

I'm still in love with him and will forgive him forever. Even when he tells me he wants divorce.

What's difficult for me, is my husband
who is suppose to be my rock
I can't trust him and so all I trust is Jesus now.
The word of God.

And so here I am reading your post.
Praying for my marriage and praying for yours.

I hope we all find the peace, mercy, wisdom and guidance that is the way, the truth and the life of Jesus Christ. That we humble ourselves to his way to seek out the crown of life. That we are filled with His Spirit in the time of need. And the we humble ourselves and act in accordance with His will. And in doing that, we bless our lives and out families lives.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
Well, I mean
I read one post about what to do if it's abuse. It was sound advice.

To me, it sort of sounds like normal women's hormonal issues that she hasn't learned to cope with.

I mean, it happens to a lot of women (including me when I was younger)

We get put into this shame. That if we admit we have hormonal issues, then we aren't fit to have an opinion therefore, many women deny it. They deny it as though their life depended on it.

We do have hormones that can impact out outlook on life greatly. For me, it makes me literally crazy.

The only reason I see through it better now, is because of the Holy Spirit putting me in my place and I literally had the experience of thinking like a man (hormonally) meaning, that my emotions were in the back seat, and my logic was in the front seat. (This was after child birth so my hormones were all over the place) When women are feelin hormonal, the emotions are in the front seat tryin' to take the wheel. And full on succeed at times. And it's like this all the time. (Unless on birth control which to each their own.)

This might sound weird but maybe invite her to do some hiking or sports with your guy friends or in a place where there's a ton of testosterone. Whenever I go to martial arts, I feel leveled out by all the testosterone. (I imagine it's the sort of the same when a bunch of women come together and their monthly syncs. The testosterones might help her? Don't know it's just scientifically proven. It's just anectodical how I felt.) I also don't know how you guys are with mental commitment. It matters. Like when I was young, impure thoughts were an issue, but after much focus, impure thoughts aren't as much of a concern. Just depends on the individual.

Pray for her a lot. Pray for you a lot.

The only thing that soften my hardened heart and mind was Jesus.

Also, it is possible to see through the cloud of hormones, but it takes practice. A lot of focus.

I still struggle greatly.

It is really weird. Like I understand her. Like it feels like she's not there.
Because it's like you literally think you are correct. And that you're feelings are justified. To add fuel to the fire, no one corrects women and their hormones these days. So, there's nothing but kind words and support. So you really know you're right.
Then you come off that high. Then you start thinking again. Then you start questioning. "Maybe I was wrong. O gosh, what did he say?" Because sometimes you really don't hear what the other person said. Then you are able to start to reason again. Start asking questions again. Then you realize, o gosh, I am wrong. Then you apologize.

That's how it was for me. Like, if you can imagine thinking something is really true, and then realize it's not true. That's how it feels, pretty consistently. Maybe she should
Question.
Being humble was the best thing.
And training the brain.
Like, instead of worshipping with emotion.
Maybe try printing out certain parts of the bible and say "I am going to live this way".
And put a lot of focus on it.
Like focus on it like your life depended on it.
(because scientifically focus changes the neurons in the brain.)

I'm not sure if what I said is biblical.

Also, like, try to also be an example. I know it's extremely difficult. Because I'm going through the same thing. Like do I have to live this way? Emotionally hurt and challenged by my spouse. And, well, once we're married, for the most part we do. (Abuse is different) but this how it is it seems. To carry our cross.

For me, in my trying times the book of James helped me. James Chapter 1. I printed it out and put it in my pocket. My pastor said in church once that we can't rely on our feelings and our experiences and that we need to rely on the word of God. That if your feelings and experiences are going against the word of God, well then, we know what's right. This is still difficult for me. But I agree with him 100%. I still give way into my hurt emotions, my past experiences, my hormones. But I atleast know now, James chapter 1.

I'll really pray for the both of you. These things aren't easy. In fact, it gets right down to who we are at our core, and sometimes, it's depressing to see how foolish we are without Jesus. Thankfully Jesus died for all our sins. And we just gotta keep picking up our cross and the armour of Christ.

It seems never ending, but gotta just keep at it.

If the unbelieving leave, then the believer is not at fault. But if it's the marriage you want, then it's the marriage you want. Jesus lived the punishment of our sins for us. One time when I cried to Jesus "Why?" about my pain, I was meant with the Holy Spirit sayin "The whole world cries out why why, when Jesus on the cross cried out forgive them father, for they know not what they do." I remember this because I was so distraught with my marriage. I was also told "It's okay to not know"

Sometimes it's okay to not be wise, heal and just feel the mercy of Jesus Christ. We all try so hard to be in control, when we gotta not lean on our own understanding and lean on Christ instead.

Constant teachings of being humble. Of letting go of the control. Live and let live. Forgive. Repent. Forever on.

Well, I mean, all I can say is I understand both of ya'll.

It sounds like you area good guy. That you aren't out to try and demean and belittle her and you are simply doing your best to keep your marriage.

I'm glad I read your post because my husband and I are going through similar issues.
Not exactly the same, but similar.

For me my husband is selfish but calls me selfish.
Gets angry, but blames my anger.
Acts out, but points out my iniquity.
Is convinced that I am the source of all his troubles.
That if I would just act in accordance to his wishes
all would be well
regardless how I feel.

I'm still in love with him and will forgive him forever. Even when he tells me he wants divorce.

What's difficult for me, is my husband
who is suppose to be my rock
I can't trust him and so all I trust is Jesus now.
The word of God.

And so here I am reading your post.
Praying for my marriage and praying for yours.

I hope we all find the peace, mercy, wisdom and guidance that is the way, the truth and the life of Jesus Christ. That we humble ourselves to his way to seek out the crown of life. That we are filled with His Spirit in the time of need. And the we humble ourselves and act in accordance with His will. And in doing that, we bless our lives and out families lives.
"Thank you for sharing, and for being you.
I see much soundness in your words, and stay the course with the Holy Spirit
close by."

edb0eabdbdf5abaac194c71f1a75fded - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

K

kaylagrl

This is an old post, the OP hasn't posted in a long time. No point in discussing it unless he comes and gives us an update.

Skeet

Nov 2, 2021
this is all private...your marriage does not belong to the world...but to Christ.. and each other....
my advice for both of you...get your minds out of the world...Facebook...etc...
stop talking to strangers about what you think is wrong and all problems...
seek true wisdom from the Bible's teaching on marriage....
two...became one...y'all are too far away from each other...
pray together....get in agreement...forget past...walk in the Spirit...not in the flesh..
i pray for healing...courage...right thinking...

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
this is all private...your marriage does not belong to the world...but to Christ.. and each other....
my advice for both of you...get your minds out of the world...Facebook...etc...
stop talking to strangers about what you think is wrong and all problems...
seek true wisdom from the Bible's teaching on marriage....
two...became one...y'all are too far away from each other...
pray together....get in agreement...forget past...walk in the Spirit...not in the flesh..
i pray for healing...courage...right thinking...
The world sure has changed. I grew up in an age where we were taught that if we were struggling, we should turn to each other for help.

Quite frankly, the family concept of "It takes a village to raise a child" is a destroyed concept. Our world does not help each other anymore. And, it disgusts me.

Nov 5, 2021
Hi everyone, I have no idea if I'm posting this in the right place, so I apologise if I am not.

Anyway, I feel like my wife has very little respect for me sometimes (alot of the time), and she seems to be hostile towards me far more than I'd consider normal or healthy. Things are getting worse and more frequent.

What can I do or what approach can I take to change this?

I have no Christian friends (I only have 2 real friends anyway, 1 in Canada, 1 in USA) and I won't seek the counsel of my family on this out of respect to my wife, so I ask here in the hope that some Christian brothers and sisters can give me some guidance and advice.

Background:

Right now we aren't together together, she's in Asia, I'm in the uk. We're working on getting her visa sorted to bring her here. So this is occurring over messages and calls.

She is a born again Christian, reads the bible daily, does devotions, worships God very often etc. Shes 30.
Aside from the issues I describe, she is genuinely loving, caring, honest, sweet, loyal, and truly loves the Lord, and me.

She has herself told me that sometimes when she's fighting with me she feels like she isn't her anymore and she feels no love for me and only wants to hurt me, she's said that she knows there is another side of her that she's fighting against. That doesn't mean to say this is every instant, just usually the worst fights.
(my only interpretation to that would be the sinful nature or some mental illness like bipola, she's thrown the idea of a demon being in her but I highly doubt that)

Issues:

She fights over misunderstanding what I've said, takes things I've said waaay out of context and rejects my explanation of the actual context.

Jealousy is a cause of conflict often, which also leads to false accusations against my character.

If my word is my only defence, I'm pretty much screwed. Even when I provide unequivocal evidence of my innocence, I'm still guilty (until she apologies)

Accuses me of things which are completely untrue (in many cases she knows it's not true)

Starts fights out of absolutely nowhere that seem to be triggered by nothing. One just happened just before I wrote this, I guess that gave me the idea to seek a better approach to her attitude.

She will apologise most of the time and say she's trying to change etc. But she's not changing, she's getting worse. It was never like this when we were boyfriend and girlfriend years ago. These days it's just a new every week, sometime multiple in a week.

Approaches I've taken:

- emotional approach works sometimes cos she doesn't like seeing me sad.

- ignoring her til she grows up (sometimes worked, sometimes made it worse - 'accusations that I don't care etc') - I no longer do this cos I don't feel OK doing it, I just want to fix the issue.

- calm approach, ignoring all her insults to me and just explaining in a calm way that what she says makes no sense and is untrue.

- godly approach, trying to encourage her to be more respectful and that we should follow the example of Jesus Christ and the apostles and show the fruits of the spirit even when it's hard and reminding her of our wedding and happy memories etc, whilst calmly explaining away her baseless accusations, judgements and insults.

- patience and prayer are applied, but my patience doesn't do anything, nothing changes, it just carries on or gets worse.

- right now, my patience is breaking and I tend to just point out the facts, and acknowledging her statements as ridiculous, I remain calm at first, but after insult and her judgements I guess I lose my cool, earlier I said "All you ever ever do anymore is fight fight fight. And then you call yourself a peacemaker? Don't call yourself that again", and I know that was probably wrong to say it like that, but she just wouldn't stop atall, not that it excuses it.

Thankyou and God bless you.
Did you ask God before you married her if you had His blessing to marry her?
If not then there in lies your problem.

Bearedy

Mar 23, 2022
It sounds like you have a major communication problem with her. Why would she think you don't love her anymore? Is it something you've done? Communicating clearly about all of these issues will help maintain your relationship.

Alex123

Apr 12, 2022
You have several options in this instance.
1. Talk to her and find out why.
2. If you make a mistake, hold her tight and apologize sincerely, in a gentle tone.
3. Take her to a favorite restaurant for a romantic evening.
4. Surprise her with a gift.
I also encountered this kind of trouble. I am very busy with work, so I can't accompany my wife and have very little time to take care of the family. My wife is a gentle person, and I love her very much, but then our communication became more and more Less, the trivialities and difficulties of life have been attacking our love, the relationship is getting tenser and tenser, I think we can't go on like this, I booked a restaurant that my wife likes, and prepared a ring that a man can only customize once in his lifetime To her, we had a good night that night, and communicated the past problems well, and moved towards the future more firmly.