What did Jesus write in the dust?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Jeremiah 17:13 LORD, you are the hope of Israel; all who forsake you will be put to shame. Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the LORD, the spring of living water.

John 4:14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

John 4:10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

John 8:6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.

I wonder what Jesus was writing in the dust here...

T

Trax

Jeremiah 17:13 LORD, you are the hope of Israel; all who forsake you will be put to shame. Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the LORD, the spring of living water.

John 4:14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

John 4:10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

John 8:6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.

From my own study of that event, Jesus most likely wrote some of the Lev Law concerning
being a false witness, the law for adultry, where both man and woman were to be charged,
and stuff about due process.

The mob broke the law, by just bringing the woman. They didn't give the woman due
process. The witnesses motives were not right before God. A false witness was given the
penalty for the crime he was acussing the other person of doing. Adultry = stoning, so
everyone of the mob was guilty of being stoned. If they had stoned the woman, since it
was not done according to righteousness, but evil intent, they would have been guilty
of murder as well.

So, Jesus wrote on the ground and said, Those without sin cast the first stone. Well, they
probably were reminded they were breaking the law and they may be next to be stoned.
So, I figure they quit while they were ahead. The mob tried to use the letter of the law
to trap Jesus, but Jesus probably used the letter of the law to trap them, if He had wrote
what I assume. Jesus had also said once beofre, "in the manner you judge, you will be judged."

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
From my own study of that event, Jesus most likely wrote some of the Lev Law concerning
being a false witness, the law for adultry, where both man and woman were to be charged,
and stuff about due process.

The mob broke the law, by just bringing the woman. They didn't give the woman due
process. The witnesses motives were not right before God. A false witness was given the
penalty for the crime he was acussing the other person of doing. Adultry = stoning, so
everyone of the mob was guilty of being stoned. If they had stoned the woman, since it
was not done according to righteousness, but evil intent, they would have been guilty
of murder as well.

So, Jesus wrote on the ground and said, Those without sin cast the first stone. Well, they
probably were reminded they were breaking the law and they may be next to be stoned.
So, I figure they quit while they were ahead. The mob tried to use the letter of the law
to trap Jesus, but Jesus probably used the letter of the law to trap them, if He had wrote
what I assume. Jesus had also said once beofre, "in the manner you judge, you will be judged."
Very interesting interpretation of that event. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that he was writing the laws in the dust, but I like your take on why they didn't obey their "convictions" and stone the woman. Maybe they really weren't doing things according to God's laws and would be stoned themselves. Again, interesting.

When I read that passage in Jeremiah I immediately thought back to John. And then I found out that everything in that passage in Jeremiah quaintly sums up events in John. And since Jesus knew a lot about the Scriptures, even from an early age, it just popped into my mind that he was hearkening back to the prophet Jeremiah, especially since Jesus was the one who would offer the gift of living water. Perhaps he was also the one who would write in the dust the names of those who departed from God.

T

Trax

Very interesting interpretation of that event. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that he was writing the laws in the dust, but I like your take on why they didn't obey their "convictions" and stone the woman. Maybe they really weren't doing things according to God's laws and would be stoned themselves. Again, interesting.

When I read that passage in Jeremiah I immediately thought back to John. And then I found out that everything in that passage in Jeremiah quaintly sums up events in John. And since Jesus knew a lot about the Scriptures, even from an early age, it just popped into my mind that he was hearkening back to the prophet Jeremiah, especially since Jesus was the one who would offer the gift of living water. Perhaps he was also the one who would write in the dust the names of those who departed from God.
jer 17:13 could be valid too. He could have wrote that verse, then their names.

L

Laodicea

Jesus was probably writing down their sins which is why they took off.

Feb 21, 2012

I believe that he was just "doodling" waiting on revelation from his Father on how to handle the situation. Of course, since scripture doesn't say - we are just speculating. :)

L

Laodicea

John 8:6-7
(6) This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
(7) So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

First Jesus wrote on the ground then He said "he that is without sin cast the stone" then He continued writing. So from this it looks like He was writing their sins because they all took off because they were exposed.

Feb 21, 2012
John 8:6-7
(6) This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
(7) So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

First Jesus wrote on the ground then He said "he that is without sin cast the stone" then He continued writing. So from this it looks like He was writing their sins because they all took off because they were exposed.
I think it was enough to convict them for him to say - He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her - because when they heard what he said being convicted by their own conscience they went out one by one . . . . .

Like I say its pure speculation as to what he was writing since it's not told - so there is no right or wrong issue here. And if God wanted us to know what Jesus was writing then he surely would have included it. :)

J

jkalyna

HE WROTE THEIR SINS AND THEY READ IT WITHIN THEMSELVES, HE WAS WRITING ON THEIR HEARTS.:)

E

enochson

How could jesus know there sins if he couldn't see past the blood of the lamb? This doctrine of condamnation is not true. He simple wrote GOD IS LOVE! The blood was apply before the foundation of the world or why couldn't he see adam amd eve in the garden because he was blind or wouldn't see past the blood of the lamb.

W

wwjd_kilden

^ Never head that theory before, intersting :)

However, if God does not see our sin at all, the idea of repenting would be lost, as He would not know of our sins.

Oct 12, 2011
HE WROTE THEIR SINS AND THEY READ IT WITHIN THEMSELVES, HE WAS WRITING ON THEIR HEARTS.:)

Yes, I agree, It is a picture of Him writing the Law on the tables of our heart, thereby giving us a
conscience towards God.

For Adam was made from the "Dust" of the ground. And the Law would be against that Nature.

Blessings

Oct 12, 2011
^ Never head that theory before, intersting :)

However, if God does not see our sin at all, the idea of repenting would be lost, as He would not know of our sins.
Repenting is not for God, it is for Us. God does not condemn, EVER.

If they were condemned it was because their own heart condemned them, But God is Greater than our
heart.

That's what Grace is all about, The Divine Influence upon the heart.
But Religion, (Law) without the Grace of God (Christ), condemns, and has no effect of Change or transformation.

Blessings