What did the Ecumenical Councils achieve?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
God expects justice from Christians, which includes giving credit where credit is due. There are seven ecumenical councils which are recognized by the Orthodox Church, but generally ignored by Protestants. However, upon proper investigation, one finds that the first six councils actually achieved something by ensuring that the person of Christ and His two natures is correctly understood in the light of Scripture. So all Christians can be thankful that these councils ensured that false teachings about Christ would not go unaddressed. There were other issues also discussed in these councils which do not concern us.

Below I am selectively quoting in blue (with added sub-titles in red) from “Short Summaries of the Ecumenical Councils” which is presented from the Orthodox Church viewpoint, and presents the rulings of the first seven ecumenical councils (the Catholic Church adds 20 more “councils” not recognized by the Orthodox). But the seventh Ecumenical Council’s decreed to support the use of icons in churches (which evangelical Christians reject). I have made notations where necessary to indicate questionable ideas.

THE ARIAN HERESY
The First Ecumenical Council was convened in 325 A.D., in the city of Nicea, under the Emperor Constantine I to affirm that the Son of God is true God, born of God the Father before all ages, and is eternal, as is God the Father; He was begotten, and not made, and is of one essence with God the Father. [Note: for all the negative things said about Constantine I, this was a very positive development]

THE MACEDONIAN HERESY
The Second Ecumenical Council was convened in the year 381, in the city of Constantinople, under the Emperor Theodosius I. The Council affirmed as a dogma the equality and the single essence of God the Holy Spirit with God the Father and God the Son. The Council also supplemented the Nicene Creed, or "Symbol of Faith," with five Articles in which is set forth its teaching about the Holy Spirit, about the Church, about the Mysteries, about the resurrection of the dead, and the life in the world to come. Thus they composed the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed, which serves as a guide to the Church for all time.

THE NESTORIAN HERESY
The Third Ecumenical Council was convened in the year 431 A.D., in the city of Ephesus, under Emperor Theodosius II. The 200 bishops present at the Council condemned and repudiated the heresy of Nestorius (that Christ was not God incarnate, but merely God-bearing) and decreed that one should recognize that united in Jesus Christ at the time of the incarnation were two natures, divine and human, and that one should confess Jesus Christ as true God and true Man, and the Holy Virgin Mary as the God-bearer (Theotokos). [Note: evangelical and fundamentalist Christians do not accept the teachings regarding Mary which are held by the Orthodox and Catholics, including the idea of Theotokos]

The Council also affirmed the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed, and strictly prohibited making any changes or additions to it. [Note: many Protestant denominations accept the Nicene Creed]

THE MONOPHYSITE HERESY
The Fourth Ecumenical Council was convened in 451 A.D., in the city of Chalcedon, under Emperor Marcian. The Council of 650 bishops condemned and repudiated the false doctrine of Eutychius (Monphysitism) and defined the true teaching of the Church, namely that our Lord Jesus Christ is perfect God, and as God He is eternally born from God. As man, He was born of the Holy Virgin and in every way is like us, except in sin. Through the incarnation, birth from the Holy Virgin, divinity and humanity are united in Him as a single Person, infused and immutable, thus reputing Eutychius; indivisible and inseparable, reputing Nestorius. [Note: "infused and immutable" seem to be extraneous terms not found in Scripture]

The Fifth Ecumenical Council was convened in 553 A.D., in the city of Constantinople, under the famous Emperor, Justinian I. It was called to quell a controversy between Nestorians and Eutychians.

THE MONOTHELITE HERESY
The Sixth Ecumenical Council was convened in the year 680 A.D., in the city of Constantinople, under the Emperor Constantine IV, and was composed of 170 bishops. The council was convoked against the false doctrine of heretics, Monothelites, who, although they recognized in Jesus Christ two natures, God and man, ascribed to Him only a Divine will. The Sixth Ecumenical Council condemned and repudiated the heresy of Monothelitism, and formulated the recognition that in Jesus Christ are two natures, Divine and human, and in these two natures there are two wills, but that the human will in Christ is not against, but rather is submissive to His Divine will. [Note: there is nothing in Scripture to indicate that Christ had two "wills". Neither is there anything to indicate He had only a "divine" will. But since He is God and Man He had a unique will]

THE ICONOCLAST "HERESY"
The Seventh Ecumenical Council was convened in 787 A.D., in the city of Nicea, under the Empress Irene, widow of the Emperor Leo IV The Council condemned and repudiated the iconoclastic heresy and determined to provide and to put in the holy churches, together with the likeness of the honored and Life-giving Cross of the Lord, holy icons, to honor and render homage to them. [Note: icons are images of Christ and the saints venerated by the Orthodox. But there is absolutely no Scripture to support such veneration or the installation of icons within church buildings].

https://churchmotherofgod.org/artic...ort-summaries-of-the-ecumenical-councils.html

These councils were important historically. However, since the Orthodox and Catholic churches have many teachings which are not solidly based on the New Testament, it is good to note that at least their doctrine of Christ is Scriptural.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
It's interesting to see that in the earlier days of Roman Catholics the worshipping of Mary, having one bishop over multiple congregations, and some of the rituals were not so common, so you can find some sound biblical beliefs among them. Over time though the aforementioned problems started to get out of hand and became the norm.

Nov 26, 2021
India
These Councils were landmark accomplishments in the study of Scripture and its concrete application in disputed theological matters. They show the value of convening Bishops or Pastors together whenever there is a doctrinal difference to debate and discuss the issue and try to arrive with Church Consensus on a resolution. Today, belief in the Holy Trinity, in the Divinity of Christ and the Divinity of the Holy Spirit, in the Two Natures, Divine and Human, united by Hypostatic Union in the One Person of Christ etc is almost universal among professing Christians, and those Ancient Councils definitely deserve a lot of credit for it.

I would like to see Future Councils on World Evangelism, completing the Great Commission and other such urgent pressing matters. Also, a renewed Scriptural study on Holy Communion and its importance for us.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Bravo, making a study of the councils. There is much positive to learn. But you are nick picking, and not bringing out the questionable decisions. The problem seemed to stem from inheriting Constantine's antisemitism. Many decisions were based on that if the Jews did it, it is wrong. It is interesting to follow the reasons Passover was changed to Easter, or that the book of Enoch was taking out of scripture.

The men who work with the councils say they have the holy spirit, so whatever they decide is the truth, they are not influenced by their flesh at all, they say. I makes them very dangerous.

glen55

Jul 10, 2021
Very interesting ponders, I have decided to read ( if I can find them all) John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.
These Christian clubs are very good at writing verses, I don't write that well and goofy, so now I AM going to find room for all Jesus not written was to all other thing is frustrating its not available, of coarse having reborn with Christ awake in us is beyond a few words on paper that explain your Imagination can do anything is a challenge, lots victory was never going to school or troubled by book doubts and serious worshippers based on what is thought to be secular history limitations that satisfy Flesh.