What do we mean by “Calling?”

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
I keep seeing this phrase thrown around and the ambiguity of it bothers me. So, I thought it might be good that we discuss what we mean by the phrase, “God’s calling” or “Are you called to do such and such?” I have some concerns about such phrases and thought maybe by writing I could parse it out a bit. But first, let’s look at how “God’s calling” can be understood and then discuss the finer points…

1). God’s invitation to the whole world to salvation.
2). God’s determination of the elect to be saved.
3). God’s invitation to engage in a particular type of work.
4). God’s mandate or declaration that tells/authorizes a person to engage in a particular kind of work (i.e. ministry).

So, what I am interested in discussing in this thread is categories 3 & 4. There are already plenty of threads on here that discuss God’s sovereignty with regards to individual salvation and whether or not God’s call to salvation is an open invitation to all or a specific election of an individual.

My concerns with categories 3 & 4 is often people speak of being “called” to do something as if it is a given that everyone understands what is meant. Even more concerning, is that people will use this language to indicate they have the “right” or even unquestioned authority to do something or that someone does not have the right or authority to do something if their “call” doesn’t meet some obscure standard. In other words, it concerns me that the be-all end-all response to a question about being involved in ministry is “are you called?” What does this mean? Does this mean that in order to be involved in ministry, someone must be “called” like one of the prophets or Apostles? Does this include direct, personal interaction with Jesus? An audible voice of God from a burning bush? An angelic visitation or a vision?

It seems to me that most who refer to such a “call“ is more of a strong, internal push to do a thing and perhaps some affirmation by other Christians that this is, indeed, God’s will. Or maybe an unusual circumstance happened that they took to be a divine invitation. Is such a view Biblical? Does the Bible teach that someone who wants to teach in the local church needs a particular “calling” and if so, how is it defined? I agree that certainly some people were “called” to do various things in the Bible. But does the Bible teach that anyone who wants to preach at a local church or be an elder needs a specific, supernatural calling?

I suppose a follow-up question to that would be, “If you believe this would be required for someone in a ministry role in the local church, why is this not required for any and every vocation?” Does God only care specifically about the occupations of those in ministry and not his children in other fields? Does this mean that being a plumber is less important and not a means of engaging in ministry as a more performative role like preaching on a Sunday? If a call is required for a ministry role, how can those who are placing someone in a teaching/preaching/elder/deacon role in the local church be assured that the person they are accepting is really “called?” Do they need to receive a separate “call,” “vision,” “gut feeling” that the leader has really been called? Should they just be trusted, or do we have to determine the validity of their call by hearing the story of their calling and determining if it is legitimate or not?

My point in starting this thread is not to blast out my own opinion, but to create a dialogue about what people actually mean when they use this language and what their expectations/understanding is when others use the language. Then, once we get an understanding of one another, we can discuss our understanding of the Bible and why we feel our views are scripturally valid.

Mar 4, 2024
I keep seeing this phrase thrown around and the ambiguity of it bothers me. So, I thought it might be good that we discuss what we mean by the phrase, “God’s calling” or “Are you called to do such and such?” I have some concerns about such phrases and thought maybe by writing I could parse it out a bit. But first, let’s look at how “God’s calling” can be understood and then discuss the finer points…

4). God’s mandate or declaration that tells/authorizes a person to engage in a particular kind of work (i.e. ministry).

So, what I am interested in discussing in this thread is categories 3 & 4. There are already plenty of threads on here that discuss God’s sovereignty with regards to individual salvation and whether or not God’s call to salvation is an open invitation to all or a specific election of an individual.

My concerns with categories 3 & 4 is often people speak of being “called” to do something as if it is a given that everyone understands what is meant. Even more concerning, is that people will use this language to indicate they have the “right” or even unquestioned authority to do something or that someone does not have the right or authority to do something if their “call” doesn’t meet some obscure standard. In other words, it concerns me that the be-all end-all response to a question about being involved in ministry is “are you called?” What does this mean? Does this mean that in order to be involved in ministry, someone must be “called” like one of the prophets or Apostles? Does this include direct, personal interaction with Jesus? An audible voice of God from a burning bush? An angelic visitation or a vision?

It seems to me that most who refer to such a “call“ is more of a strong, internal push to do a thing and perhaps some affirmation by other Christians that this is, indeed, God’s will. Or maybe an unusual circumstance happened that they took to be a divine invitation. Is such a view Biblical? Does the Bible teach that someone who wants to teach in the local church needs a particular “calling” and if so, how is it defined? I agree that certainly some people were “called” to do various things in the Bible. But does the Bible teach that anyone who wants to preach at a local church or be an elder needs a specific, supernatural calling?

I suppose a follow-up question to that would be, “If you believe this would be required for someone in a ministry role in the local church, why is this not required for any and every vocation?” Does God only care specifically about the occupations of those in ministry and not his children in other fields? Does this mean that being a plumber is less important and not a means of engaging in ministry as a more performative role like preaching on a Sunday? If a call is required for a ministry role, how can those who are placing someone in a teaching/preaching/elder/deacon role in the local church be assured that the person they are accepting is really “called?” Do they need to receive a separate “call,” “vision,” “gut feeling” that the leader has really been called? Should they just be trusted, or do we have to determine the validity of their call by hearing the story of their calling and determining if it is legitimate or not?

My point in starting this thread is not to blast out my own opinion, but to create a dialogue about what people actually mean when they use this language and what their expectations/understanding is when others use the language. Then, once we get an understanding of one another, we can discuss our understanding of the Bible and why we feel our views are scripturally valid.
Very good question. I could quote scripture, but gonna have to think on it.

BonnieClaire

Jul 1, 2021

Matthew 22:14
14 For many are called, but few are chosen. ~KJV

vassal

Jan 20, 2024

In the Bible, the term "calling" encompasses various Notion, often related to divine summons, purpose, or vocation. One fundamental calling is to salvation, where individuals are summoned by God to enter into a relationship with Him through faith in Jesus Christ. This foundational calling sets the stage for a life of discipleship and service.

Throughout Scripture, we see individuals called by God to specific tasks or missions, such as prophets like Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel who were called to speak on behalf of God, or apostles like Peter, called to spread the message of Jesus. These examples highlight God's specific assignments for His people, each playing a unique role in His plan.

The Bible emphasizes a general calling for believers to live godly lives, reflecting their faith in their actions and attitudes. This involves following God's commandments, showing love and compassion to others, and striving for holiness in all aspects of life. It's a daily commitment to live in alignment with God's will.

Jesus' parable of the fig tree offers a vivid illustration of calling and fruitfulness. The fig tree represents individuals or communities given opportunities by God to respond to His calling. Just as the tree had a period for growth and fruit-bearing, so do we have a window of opportunity for spiritual transformation and service. The additional year granted by the gardener symbolizes God's patience and grace, allowing time for repentance and renewal.

The parable underscores God's expectation of fruitfulness in the lives of His people. This fruit includes the qualities of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, as well as acts of righteousness and service. God desires to see His character reflected in our lives and His kingdom advanced through our actions.

However, the parable also warns of the consequences of spiritual barrenness or unfruitfulness. Persistent rejection of God's calling may lead to judgment or consequences. Yet, God's desire is always for repentance, renewal, and restoration rather than judgment. He patiently cultivates and nurtures His people, offering second chances and opportunities for growth.

Understanding these aspects of calling challenges us to respond to God's summons with faith and obedience, living lives that honor Him and contribute to His kingdom purposes.

Blessings.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Throughout Scripture, we see individuals called by God to specific tasks or missions, such as prophets like Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel who were called to speak on behalf of God, or apostles like Peter, called to spread the message of Jesus. These examples highlight God's specific assignments for His people, each playing a unique role in His plan.
This is referred to by Jesus as being "Chosen "....as in many are called but few are Chosen.

Jesus always had more than 12 disciples....although we often refer to the 12 often. The 12 were the core "Apostles" but there often were many more....even after Jesus's crucifixion there were 200+ disciples even though there were only 11 Apostles left.

However, others were chosen for other tasks...like Nicodemus or John the Baptist or even Herod. We ALL are chosen by God for various tasks to do various things. The nation of Israel itself was chosen to be a "nation of priests" to the rest of the world.
I know that what you related in the rest of your post is fairly accurate...and how you describe "called vx chosen" is used interchangeably today even though it wasn't always this way. But I just thought that I would clarify what Jesus said and meant. IOW you are not wrong...I just thought that I would add something to the discussion.

vassal

Jan 20, 2024
This is referred to by Jesus as being "Chosen "....as in many are called but few are Chosen.

Jesus always had more than 12 disciples....although we often refer to the 12 often. The 12 were the core "Apostles" but there often were many more....even after Jesus's crucifixion there were 200+ disciples even though there were only 11 Apostles left.

However, others were chosen for other tasks...like Nicodemus or John the Baptist or even Herod. We ALL are chosen by God for various tasks to do various things. The nation of Israel itself was chosen to be a "nation of priests" to the rest of the world.
I know that what you related in the rest of your post is fairly accurate...and how you describe "called vx chosen" is used interchangeably today even though it wasn't always this way. But I just thought that I would clarify what Jesus said and meant. IOW you are not wrong...I just thought that I would add something to the discussion.
Moses too was called for a special mission.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
I suppose a follow-up question to that would be, “If you believe this would be required for someone in a ministry role in the local church, why is this not required for any and every vocation?” Does God only care specifically about the occupations of those in ministry and not his children in other fields?
The spiritual believer would absolutely seek the Lord for direction for his or her occupation.

We should not, like the Roman Church, divide the work of the saints into "ministries" or "occupations". That idea came out of the false teaching of "clergy and laity". In Christ, we are all called to represent Him no matter our placement. One's ministry field is wherever they are when they are brought into the Kingdom of God through repentance.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I remember an old saying about the health of the modern church: "Some ase cold & a few are frozen".

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Moses too was called for a special mission.
You mean Chosen....

Almost Everyone in the whole world at this point is called....FEW are Chosen to lead or perform specific tasks.

By and large very few make themselves available to be Chosen. Fewer still are capable of doing much. But....every once in a while lightning strikes and we have a Billy Graham or Saul/Paul.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
The spiritual believer would absolutely seek the Lord for direction for his or her occupation.

We should not, like the Roman Church, divide the work of the saints into "ministries" or "occupations". That idea came out of the false teaching of "clergy and laity". In Christ, we are all called to represent Him no matter our placement. One's ministry field is wherever they are when they are brought into the Kingdom of God through repentance.

Amen. I agree brother. I guess my question, that you didn’t exactly answer, is what is His ”calling.” I presume you sought the Lord for direction for your occupation. How do you know what He was “calling” you to do?

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
In the Bible, the term "calling" encompasses various Notion, often related to divine summons, purpose, or vocation. One fundamental calling is to salvation, where individuals are summoned by God to enter into a relationship with Him through faith in Jesus Christ. This foundational calling sets the stage for a life of discipleship and service.

The Bible emphasizes a general calling for believers to live godly lives, reflecting their faith in their actions and attitudes. This involves following God's commandments, showing love and compassion to others, and striving for holiness in all aspects of life. It's a daily commitment to live in alignment with God's will.

Jesus' parable of the fig tree offers a vivid illustration of calling and fruitfulness. The fig tree represents individuals or communities given opportunities by God to respond to His calling. Just as the tree had a period for growth and fruit-bearing, so do we have a window of opportunity for spiritual transformation and service. The additional year granted by the gardener symbolizes God's patience and grace, allowing time for repentance and renewal.

The parable underscores God's expectation of fruitfulness in the lives of His people. This fruit includes the qualities of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, as well as acts of righteousness and service. God desires to see His character reflected in our lives and His kingdom advanced through our actions.

However, the parable also warns of the consequences of spiritual barrenness or unfruitfulness. Persistent rejection of God's calling may lead to judgment or consequences. Yet, God's desire is always for repentance, renewal, and restoration rather than judgment. He patiently cultivates and nurtures His people, offering second chances and opportunities for growth.

Understanding these aspects of calling challenges us to respond to God's summons with faith and obedience, living lives that honor Him and contribute to His kingdom purposes.

Blessings.
I appreciate your very well thought out and Scripture-based reply. So do you believe ministry falls under the category of “general calling” or should someone seeking a position in the Church expect a more specific calling?

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
Very good question. I could quote scripture, but gonna have to think on it.
This may be my favorite reply of all time. I appreciate your humility and willingness to contemplate and pray over your thoughts on it. I have a feeling we will all be blessed by your insights.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
At the time of their callings, Moses loved the Egyptians, and the Hebrews disdained him, and Paul hated the Christians, and the Romans favored him. I think it is a fair assumption, going by their respective stories, that neither had any interest in any rescuing those they were called to help. So, these were called to love those that neither had any affection for them. And I think this should provide us much insight into why they were chosen.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
A lot of times you won't know exactly what His call is. In those instances, He's probably calling you to learn patience.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Amen. I agree brother. I guess my question, that you didn’t exactly answer, is what is His ”calling.” I presume you sought the Lord for direction for your occupation. How do you know what He was “calling” you to do?
We are all called into fellowship with Him. Fellowship is a state of being of likeness and kind to one another. In the case of all believers, this is a recognition of being born from above. Because this is antithetical to being "of the world" each one's process of repentance and sanctification will have unique qualities. Learning to be led by the Spirit requires practice. So, those who are unlearned and immature in this foundational practice require the oversight of the mature. This, too, will be personal and unique to the believer.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

were all called here

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭5:32‬ ‭KJV‬‬

because he’s trying to save us

“I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭13:5‬ ‭

He doesn’t want anyone to perish but to be saved so he’s calling sinners to repentance

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

were Called to repentance and remission of sins at that point we’ll find our spiritual gifts within the body the calling is the same fornus all sinners to repentance and life

It’s what the gospel is all about

“and said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, ( that’s the call ) beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:46-48‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:4-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The hope of our calling and our charter is here

“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. ( this happens constantly these days )

Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:10, 13-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Again this is our calling in grace

“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.”
‭‭Titus‬ ‭2:11-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

were bieng called out of Babylon out of sins dominion out of satans Will were all called to repentance and belief in the gospel

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
We are all called into fellowship with Him. Fellowship is a state of being of likeness and kind to one another. In the case of all believers, this is a recognition of being born from above. Because this is antithetical to being "of the world" each one's process of repentance and sanctification will have unique qualities. Learning to be led by the Spirit requires practice. So, those who are unlearned and immature in this foundational practice require the oversight of the mature. This, too, will be personal and unique to the believer.
Okay. Sounds good. So you dont believe that people need a “calling” to be a minister at a church?

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
were all called here

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭5:32‬ ‭KJV‬‬

because he’s trying to save us

“I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭13:5‬ ‭

He doesn’t want anyone to perish but to be saved so he’s calling sinners to repentance

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

were Called to repentance and remission of sins at that point we’ll find our spiritual gifts within the body the calling is the same fornus all sinners to repentance and life

It’s what the gospel is all about

“and said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, ( that’s the call ) beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:46-48‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:4-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The hope of our calling and our charter is here

“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. ( this happens constantly these days )

Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:10, 13-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Again this is our calling in grace

“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.”
‭‭Titus‬ ‭2:11-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

were bieng called out of Babylon out of sins dominion out of satans Will were all called to repentance and belief in the gospel

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Thanks for your reply. Not sure how it applies to this thread though. I wasn’t trying to focus on “calling” as it relates to salvation, but ”calling” as it relates to vocation…if there is such a thing.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
A lot of times you won't know exactly what His call is. In those instances, He's probably calling you to learn patience.
Perhaps. But how do you know when you do recognize what his call is? That is the question I keep asking but so far haven’t received much by way of suggestions from people. It seems a lot of people believe in a call, but can’t specific what that call is or how we recognize it. I guess that is what bothers me about this language. We use biblical terms but divorce them from the context in which those terms are used in the Bible.