What do we mean by “Calling?”

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Perhaps. But how do you know when you do recognize what his call is? That is the question I keep asking but so far haven’t received much by way of suggestions from people. It seems a lot of people believe in a call, but can’t specific what that call is or how we recognize it. I guess that is what bothers me about this language. We use biblical terms but divorce them from the context in which those terms are used in the Bible.
There was a time that the term was used in the context of courting, as to say it went something like, "John had called on miss Mary, and she graciously received him, and he subsequently chose her for his bride."

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Perhaps. But how do you know when you do recognize what his call is? That is the question I keep asking but so far haven’t received much by way of suggestions from people. It seems a lot of people believe in a call, but can’t specific what that call is or how we recognize it. I guess that is what bothers me about this language. We use biblical terms but divorce them from the context in which those terms are used in the Bible.
I don't know how to answer you either. Hope you find your answer.

BonnieClaire

Jul 1, 2021
Do you believe this is referring to salvation or vocation…or both? If vocation, what does this “call“ look like?

I believe our Lord here is speaking of salvation . . .

Matthew 22:14
14 For many are called, but few are chosen. ~KJV

. . . but notice it doesn't say "all" are called.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Okay. Sounds good. So you dont believe that people need a “calling” to be a minister at a church?
"at a church" ?

You obviously mean a building where the church meets.

The only Biblical division of the church is location.

Husbands are the ministers to their wives. How many husbands off-load this responsibility to a "pastor"? Parents are the ministers to their own children. How many parents off-load this responsibility to the "youth pastor"? The House of God (Family of God) is designed to be trans-generational, wherein the old and mature teach the young and immature. Elders of the church, watch over the souls of several families.

Biblically, elders are identified by apostles. These are believers, with the fruit of maturity, who already know how to care for the family of God and to teach. If an elder desires to be a bishop, someone with regional oversight, he must also have a good reputation in his community.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Not sure how it applies to this thread though. I wasn’t trying to focus on “calling” as it relates to salvation, but ”calling” as it relates to vocation…if there is such a thing.
Ahh well being a biblical discussion forum and the question Was asked …biblically the only thing it says we’re called to is repentance and eternal life was how I thought it relates to the question of our calling

Repentance is where we find the rest

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I believe our Lord here is speaking of salvation . . .

Matthew 22:14
14 For many are called, but few are chosen. ~KJV

. . . but notice it doesn't say "all" are called.
Isn’t this Gods call to every creature ?

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
If I may do more searching on calling. There is more there that no one here has touched.. as of yet :) I think Paul was telling Tim "Do not hurry to lay hands on anyone [ordaining and approving someone for ministry or an office in the church, or in reinstating expelled offenders], and thereby share in the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin.".

You asked about how do you know, recognize what His calling is. I'll give just two experiences in my own life. Short is went for a walk after Sunday service by myself. I said "Lord I know you called me but I don't know to what". That night we the choir sang (we went to different Churches and did this) we would go out and pray for the people. Well I noticed Roy was not praying for someone but they were praying for him. So lol I just knew it was of God and had a thought if I go over there maybe he will pray for me. I don't know, can't tell you other then I just had that thought. So I go over and he takes hands of Roy puts them on me and says "My son I have called you but you do not know to what but I will open all the doors. You have great faith......" so forth so on.

Two things there. First one is we notice God said what I asked Him "I know you called my but I don't know to what" Him "I have called you but you do not know to what". 2nd, Now even though I knew it was of God I still went to my pastor told him about that man and asked if his word could trusted. That man was known and yes it can be trusted.

2nd experience. We were about to got to Church Sunday night me and my wife and I said "lord I know you called me but can you tell me again. You said out of the mouth of 2 or three. Thank you". We had been going to that Church .. I 6-7 years and for the 1st time ever and then never again 3 people that night came up to me, people I did not hang around with nor did I know saying "you should be in the ministry, you should be a preacher." so forth so on. Three 3 times.

I am not like most. What I read in Acts has does and will keep happening in my life. Acts is Christianity. There is a song but its true about calling, desire.

Your desire is the confirmation
The destination is there
God wouldn't put it in your spirit if it wasn't going nowhere
So, set your sights on the promises and don't you be scared
'Cause you desire is the confirmation
The destination is there

So we need to get out of His way. We need to stop trying be right. He alone is right.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
If I may do more searching on calling. There is more there that no one here has touched.. as of yet :) I think Paul was telling Tim "Do not hurry to lay hands on anyone [ordaining and approving someone for ministry or an office in the church, or in reinstating expelled offenders], and thereby share in the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin.".

You asked about how do you know, recognize what His calling is. I'll give just two experiences in my own life. Short is went for a walk after Sunday service by myself. I said "Lord I know you called me but I don't know to what". That night we the choir sang (we went to different Churches and did this) we would go out and pray for the people. Well I noticed Roy was not praying for someone but they were praying for him. So lol I just knew it was of God and had a thought if I go over there maybe he will pray for me. I don't know, can't tell you other then I just had that thought. So I go over and he takes hands of Roy puts them on me and says "My son I have called you but you do not know to what but I will open all the doors. You have great faith......" so forth so on.

Two things there. First one is we notice God said what I asked Him "I know you called my but I don't know to what" Him "I have called you but you do not know to what". 2nd, Now even though I knew it was of God I still went to my pastor told him about that man and asked if his word could trusted. That man was known and yes it can be trusted.

2nd experience. We were about to got to Church Sunday night me and my wife and I said "lord I know you called me but can you tell me again. You said out of the mouth of 2 or three. Thank you". We had been going to that Church .. I 6-7 years and for the 1st time ever and then never again 3 people that night came up to me, people I did not hang around with nor did I know saying "you should be in the ministry, you should be a preacher." so forth so on. Three 3 times.

I am not like most. What I read in Acts has does and will keep happening in my life. Acts is Christianity. There is a song but its true about calling, desire.

Your desire is the confirmation
The destination is there
God wouldn't put it in your spirit if it wasn't going nowhere
So, set your sights on the promises and don't you be scared
'Cause you desire is the confirmation
The destination is there

So we need to get out of His way. We need to stop trying be right. He alone is right.
I appreciate your thoughts and sharing your experience. So the call would be the confirmation of other believers coupled with your desire to do some kind of ministry, in your opinion? Perhaps so. I am not saying my mind is made up one way or another, which is why I started the thread. I have just been bothered by the terminology used by Christians when there doesn’t seem to be a consistent answer or the citing of Biblical passages by many people who use these phrases as it refers to vocation. So I guess my next question to you would be, ”If you had a strong desire to do ministry and felt a passion for it, but never had someone in the Church tell you that you should do it or they felt as though God was telling them to tell you to do it, would you still pursue ministry? Would you feel you weren’t called unless God sent someone to confirm your desire?”

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
Ahh well being a biblical discussion forum and the question Was asked …biblically the only thing it says we’re called to is repentance and eternal life was how I thought it relates to the question of our calling

Repentance is where we find the rest
I appreciate your response. Yes, I think I agree. Certainly God can clearly tell a person if He wants them to do something specific…we see that plenty in Scripture. I have just seen in the NT that when it comes to teaching, elders, deacons and so forth, the only “requirements” are centered around the person‘s character, patience, knowledge of the Word of God and desire to do the ministry.

1 Timothy 3:1–13 (ESV): The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, 5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church? 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
Qualifications for Deacons
8 Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. 9 They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. 11 Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. 13 For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 2:1–7 (ESV): You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, 2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also. 3 Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 5 An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. 7 Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.
2 Timothy 4:1–2 (ESV): I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching
Hebrews 5:11–14 (ESV): About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, 13 for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14 But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.
I just dont see anywhere that it says anything like, “Be sure to only allow teachers who have received a clear call from God.” Or “Be sure that those who desire to teach or lead be properly called to the task.” It seems selecting a leader is much like selecting a spouse….its more about characteristics of the person and their faith than any specific sign or direction from God

Mar 4, 2024
This may be my favorite reply of all time. I appreciate your humility and willingness to contemplate and pray over your thoughts on it. I have a feeling we will all be blessed by your insights.
Whew, I’m certainly not as humble as i need to be. I can only speak for myself, but my first calling is to prayer and functioning in the spirit to get Godly results in those that God has laid on my heart, and in my circle of influence. And that’s people like family members, friends, coworkers.