What do you Believe about the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
Is the Bible (all 66) the infallible, inerrant Word of G-d? Or is just a collection of books that helps us have better lives?

Or since so many Christians think the Old Testament is done away with because of the New Testament do you think only the NT is the Word of G-d? If you are in that camp does the OT still have a place or not al all?

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Is the Bible (all 66) the infallible, inerrant Word of G-d? Or is just a collection of books that helps us have better lives?

Or since so many Christians think the Old Testament is done away with because of the New Testament do you think only the NT is the Word of G-d? If you are in that camp does the OT still have a place or not al all?
I took a class on how we physically got the bible, and I seen God's hand in it. There is no doubt in my mind that all 66 Books are scripture. The old testament is not done away with, it is just practiced spiritually under Christ instead of physically under Moses. The physical way of obeying the law was nailed to the cross, not the actual law. We must still obey the same laws spiritually. For example, we no longer physically sacrifice a physical lamb, the spiritual Lamb of God is our sacrifice.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is the Book of Truth, There is not one word of it that man can delete, alter, retire, whatever....... Every word in the Bible has a purpose, and only God knows His FULL purpose.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Hey! memyselfi... PTL!
For the OT scriptures:
Rom 15:4 "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." (hope is a component of faith)
2 Pet 1:3, 4 "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue. Whereby are given unto us exceedingly great and precious promises: that by these, ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."
2 Cor 1:20 "For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us."
2 Tim 3:16, 17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
For the NT scriptures:
Mt 24: 35; Mk 13: 31; Lu 21: 33 "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
J 16: 13 "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come."
Maranatha!

PS

Jan 11, 2013
The inspired Word of God. Not man's multiple variations of it.

Nov 26, 2012

I believe the Bible is misrepresented by failed humans teaching carnal lessons, missing the spiritual wealth stored up in its meaning.

I would say the OT would be a rudimentary foundation, while the NT is the explanation. If I were to compare it to a book on healthy eating, the first part would be to tell you which foods were good or bad to eat, and the latter to explain the process of digestion, the minerals and vitamins therein and preparation. As the Bible needs to be taught by the Spirit, many lessons will not be fully understood at face value. Compared again to the food book, although you may understand the food and a grasp a rudimentary way they nourish and heal us, there is the greater understanding that can only be attained by a masters in chemistry and biology, broken down to the electrical components of exchange with the body. So too the Word of God has the ability to transform us when spiritually “digested”.

PyongPing

Oct 9, 2018
www.worldincrisis.org
Is the Bible (all 66) the infallible, inerrant Word of G-d?
God stated that the word, the Bible (King James, as I have it in and on hand) would be perfectly preserved, Psalms 12:6-7.

I do have a question for you, and not to sidetrack the thread, and do not take it as trying to offend, but why do I see people use an hyphen in the middle of a word, such as G-d? The word "God", is a designation or position of authority, and not a name proper, if one was concerned about taking the name of the LORD in vain, though the depth of the statement has so much more to it. Do those who do that, also say, "L-rd", "D-d" or "F-ther" which are in Heaven? If so, How exactly would those be pronounced? Would the person just manually insert a void of non speaking and then continue with the rest of the word as normal after beginning? How does that work when reading? The mind automatically fills in the blank spaces and completes the word, since the mind knows what it is from experience, and the word is read in whole in the mind anyway.

Just some side questions I was thinking while responding.

Or is just a collection of books that helps us have better lives?
If that is all it is, then we, of all persons, are most miserable.

From personal experience, and from reading what the word says of itself, it is the mind of God 'diffused' through human-kind over centuries. Holy men of God spake (and thus wrote) as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Or since so many Christians think the Old Testament is done away with because of the New Testament
A pitiful state of belief for any who actually think that, since the entire NT quotes from the OT all over the place, from Jesus, to Paul, to John, to Peter, to James, to Jude, to Luke, to Matthew, to Mark. If the OT is thrown out, a person might as well toss all of the OT (Gen. to Mal.) quoted in the NT (Mat. to Rev.)

do you think only the NT is the Word of G-d?
Absolutely not. Gen. to Rev. (66 'books') is the word of God.

If you are in that camp does the OT still have a place or not al all?
I am not in that 'camp', and God help those who are, see what has happened to them.

L

Locoponydirtman

To keep it simple; it's what God has given us. Because it is what God has given us, it's best we consider it seriously; make understanding it a priority and moreover not accepting any contradiction to it.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

I believe my KJV Bible is the infallible , inerrant Word of God... When i cannot understand it,, it is not because there is a problem with the Bible.. The problem is my limited human minds ability to understand..

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
The inspired Word of God. Not man's multiple variations of it.
What do you mean by this?

I think the Bible is divinely inspired. For sure.

Btw for all of you who dare disrespect Martin Luther (as i saw someone do recently...) I suggest you BURN your bibles immediately. Without him you wouldn't even have a bible in your own language, you would be stuck listening to Latin Mass.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
What do you mean by this?

I think the Bible is divinely inspired. For sure.

Btw for all of you who dare disrespect Martin Luther (as i saw someone do recently...) I suggest you BURN your bibles immediately. Without him you wouldn't even have a bible in your own language, you would be stuck listening to Latin Mass.
The Bible IS divinely inspired for sure. You give the reason for my comment when you speak of Martin Luther. The various cults who twist, screw and otherwise pervert the sacred writings are NOT divinely inspired and consequently make a travesty of that which is sacred.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
I believe my KJV Bible is the infallible , inerrant Word of God... When i cannot understand it,, it is not because there is a problem with the Bible.. The problem is my limited human minds ability to understand..
The only way you are going to get the truth and the life is Jesus Christ and the only way you are going to know the truth is His Word. And His Word is Him! "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was (not 'a') God." You can't separate the Words of God from God. And that is why He promised to perfectly preserve His Word. Not the originals. You couldn't find the originals to save your life. There are copies of copies of copies out there of the languages. But you think that God didn't know there was an English-speaking people coming on the scene? Give me a break! Yes, I only use the Authorized King James Version. You all can give an account to God for what you use, I'll give an account for my choice.

People accuse me of worshiping my Bible . . . I worship Jesus Christ.

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us)" (I John 1:1-2).

Everything you believe you should be able to substantiate from the Word of God. And you ought to teach your kids the verses. We believe this . . . because of this. We believe that because of that. They will read it, Lord willing, they will memorize it--some of it is easy. Memorize it. How do you know you are saved? Book, chapter and verse. Who saved you? Jesus. Right down the line. Little bus kids know this stuff. Our kids ought to know that.

The B.I.B.L.E.
Yes that's the Book for me!
I stand alone on the Word of God,
The B.I.B.L.E.!

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
With the OT, I can cross check and corroborate data in the NT.
The Lord (the Word) does say that He is in the volume of the book (Hebrews 10:7).

Hebrews 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The only way you are going to get the truth and the life is Jesus Christ and the only way you are going to know the truth is His Word. And His Word is Him! "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was (not 'a') God." You can't separate the Words of God from God. And that is why He promised to perfectly preserve His Word. Not the originals. You couldn't find the originals to save your life. There are copies of copies of copies out there of the languages. But you think that God didn't know there was an English-speaking people coming on the scene? Give me a break! Yes, I only use the Authorized King James Version. You all can give an account to God for what you use, I'll give an account for my choice.

People accuse me of worshiping my Bible . . . I worship Jesus Christ.

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us)" (I John 1:1-2).

Everything you believe you should be able to substantiate from the Word of God. And you ought to teach your kids the verses. We believe this . . . because of this. We believe that because of that. They will read it, Lord willing, they will memorize it--some of it is easy. Memorize it. How do you know you are saved? Book, chapter and verse. Who saved you? Jesus. Right down the line. Little bus kids know this stuff. Our kids ought to know that.

The B.I.B.L.E.
Yes that's the Book for me!
I stand alone on the Word of God,
The B.I.B.L.E.!
I have always believed since i became a Christian that one Needs the indwelling of Gods Holy Spirit to have understanding of the Bible.. But i have come to also believe that God does not reveal all understanding to one person.. He gives us what we need to know /understand to accept and be saved.. I believe also that some are given deeper understanding in one area and another is given deeper understanding in another area.. I believe God wants us to bless each other by sharing our little gems with others..

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
With the OT, I can cross check and corroborate data in the NT.
The Lord (the Word) does say that He is in the volume of the book (Hebrews 10:7).

Hebrews 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
"And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace. Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king. He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God" (Daniel 3:23-25).

Yes, I believe that it was the Son of God . . . a preincarnate Jesus, also called a 'Christopheny.' There were other occasions as well.

He visited Adam and Eve in the garden.
He came to Abraham a few times accompanied by angels.
He spoke to Joshua where he described Himself as, "the captain of the host of the LORD."

There were others.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
I have always believed since i became a Christian that one Needs the indwelling of Gods Holy Spirit to have understanding of the Bible.. But i have come to also believe that God does not reveal all understanding to one person.. He gives us what we need to know /understand to accept and be saved.. I believe also that some are given deeper understanding in one area and another is given deeper understanding in another area.. I believe God wants us to bless each other by sharing our little gems with others..
You believe in an infallible, inerrant Bible . . . that's as good a start as anyone can hope for. Be faithful to the Book and I agree that God will likely cause you to specialize in a particular area, but certainly strive to understand 'the whole counsel of God' as you 'rightly divide the Word of truth.'

CS1

May 23, 2012

The Word of God is a known as the bible which means: "Books" we can see God is the Author while man was the vessel used to write it. the Bible is a miracle. No other Book has been more attacked, studied, analyzed, criticized, mocked, examined, etc.. yet it still stands. There is a reason why 66 books made up of 5 books of the law , genealogy, major and minor prophets, songs, poetry, drama, letters. All having a historical narrative, real people, geographical locations, nations, eyewitnesses and over 50 K manuscripts.

OH Yes the bible is the word of God those who study Hebrew and greek today have come to the saving Knowledge of the Lord in their own language first. The Holy reached you, the word of God spoke to you.

Dec 12, 2013
THE BIBLE​
This book is not the work of one man and or a Shakespearian play.....It was written over a period of 1600 years by some 40 odd authors. It contains the verbiage of Kings, priests, slaves, Roman soldiers, tax collectors, fishermen, thieves, Pharaohs, the rich, the poor, lepers, demon possessed, angels, Satan and every other gambit of human background. It accurately predicts the rise and fall of world kingdoms and even names the leaders of some centuries or more in advance of their coming and exactly what they would do in their reign. It is full of overwhelming proof of divine influence and even speaks to modern flight, modern weapons, nuclear war, genetics, more than 4 dimensions, modern mathematics, medicine, astronomy, and has hundreds of prophetic utterences that have come to pass exactly as they were given without error.​
Not only does it contain narrative, but it also contains allegory, metaphor, symbolic, prophecy, parables, poetry, acrostic psalms, prayers, and the words of a donkey while being written in four languages (some Chaldean in Daniel and Aramic in Matthew) and containing language beyond human comprehension.​
ABOVE all....It contains the divine words of the one true God concerning the human condition and the eternal destinies of men based upon said choices in this life I.E. a person's destiny is sealed based upon their acceptance and or rejection of the irrevocable gift of life found in Christ.​
What I have said here does not even scratch the surface concerning the validity of the word and the value without price that can be placed upon the pages and pages of wisdom that can be gleaned from the truth found therein.....it is tragic that men devalue it to the mere works of men which states multitudes about their bias, reckless abandon and lack of honest evaluation.​

CS1

May 23, 2012
THE BIBLE​
This book is not the work of one man and or a Shakespearian play.....It was written over a period of 1600 years by some 40 odd authors. It contains the verbiage of Kings, priests, slaves, Roman soldiers, tax collectors, fishermen, thieves, Pharaohs, the rich, the poor, lepers, demon possessed, angels, Satan and every other gambit of human background. It accurately predicts the rise and fall of world kingdoms and even names the leaders of some centuries or more in advance of their coming and exactly what they would do in their reign. It is full of overwhelming proof of divine influence and even speaks to modern flight, modern weapons, nuclear war, genetics, more than 4 dimensions, modern mathematics, medicine, astronomy, and has hundreds of prophetic utterences that have come to pass exactly as they were given without error.​
Not only does it contain narrative, but it also contains allegory, metaphor, symbolic, prophecy, parables, poetry, acrostic psalms, prayers, and the words of a donkey while being written in four languages (some Chaldean in Daniel and Aramic in Matthew) and containing language beyond human comprehension.​
ABOVE all....It contains the divine words of the one true God concerning the human condition and the eternal destinies of men based upon said choices in this life I.E. a person's destiny is sealed based upon their acceptance and or rejection of the irrevocable gift of life found in Christ.​
What I have said here does not even scratch the surface concerning the validity of the word and the value without price that can be placed upon the pages and pages of wisdom that can be gleaned from the truth found therein.....it is tragic that men devalue it to the mere works of men which states multitudes about their bias, reckless abandon and lack of honest evaluation.​
I'M TRYING TO UNDERSTAND " THE WORD OF A dONKEY'?

E

eternally-gratefull

I'M TRYING TO UNDERSTAND " THE WORD OF A dONKEY'?
Numbers 22:
And when the donkey saw the Angel of the Lord, she pushed herself against the wall and crushed Balaam’s foot against the wall; so he struck her again. 26 Then the Angel of the Lord went further, and stood in a narrow place where there was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left. 27 And when the donkey saw the Angel of the Lord, she lay down under Balaam; so Balaam’s anger was aroused, and he struck the donkey with his staff.

28 Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?”

29 And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have [e]abused me. I wish there were a sword in my hand, for now I would kill you!”

30 So the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden, ever since I became yours, to this day? Was I ever [f]disposed to do this to you?”

And he said, “No.”