what do you suggest to do when e and my parent disagree about the something in Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jezreel

It is alright that he lives at home with his parents. He is still a very young man. God is using the economy to actually get families back close together like they should be. Even in the bible, a man lived at home with his parents and when he got married, he built on an extra room onto his father's house for him and his bride. This is a type and shadow of "In my father's house is many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you so. I go and prepare a place for you". Today in our world system of thinking that has been pushed upon the young, it has been responsible for destruction of godly family values.

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah these asian families where they live together have good morals and family values. Indians, for example. The trend these days is for 30 year olds to move back in with mum lol, and mummy likes it.

J

Jezreel

That is so true. My oldest daughter has been married to an Asian man for 14 years and they have two boys and the whole family works together and help one another. She had a hard time getting used to them slaughtering chickens in the bathroom! Her mother in law is a believer and is a blessing to my daughter and her husband. They take care of one another.
Today, we have all kinds of worldly views and ideas pushed upon us that are ungodly and making us selfish and self centered. We did not let our youngest daughter Marissa date and she was in agreement with us and she believed like we did and we prayed that God would bring her the husband of his choosing and he did! She did not date him as he come over and asked us for permission to court her for marriage. They are now married with two kids and God saved her in childbearing and she did not have pain in labor because she continued in sobriety and faith and was pure. We would have done the same thing with our other daughters but my husband and I were pretty much truly ignorant of the true ways of the Lord.
Living at home with parents removes lots of temptation also. Parents are a covering. If you ever look up the customs of back in the bible times of marriage etc, it is really wonderful because it is a type and shadow of the bride of Christ and Jesus coming for us. Worldly knowledge that has tainted our thinking for years and years has pretty much hindered the body of Christ from entering into what he has for us. The traditions and doctrines of man that come from the Roman Catholic church is still passed down to the daughters of the great whore, the denominations. What is funny is that many of these denomnations criticize the Roman Catholic church when the denomination they are in, still hold onto teachings and ideas from the Roman Catholic Church. One thing I have seen, is when a Roman Catholic gets genuinely saved and born again, they can really be the most on fire people of God for the truth. All of us have to be washed in the water of the word. We just have to be humble in our hearts to ask God to remove those ideas and teachings and doctrines from us that do not originate from the foundation of Jesus Christ. Men have built upon the foundation, hay and wood and stubble. Every man's work will be made mannifest, it will be tried by fire.

M

MaggieMye

Even in the bible, a man lived at home with his parents and when he got married, he built on an extra room onto his father's house for him and his bride. No, that is backwards. THe Bible tells us that a man shall LEAVE his mother and father Gen 2:24, Mt 19:5, Mark 10:7 and Eph 5:31.

Maggie

J

Jezreel

That is a really good question and I asked myself that. The old covenant is a type and shadow of things to come. All the ceremonies and feasts in the old covenant are to fortell the coming of Christ, ex, "let no man judge you in meat or in drink or of the sabbath days and the holy days which are a shadow of things to come, but, the body is of Christ".
Jesus came and he fulfilled the law so it was restored to what it was like in the beginning with Adam and Eve, they were on their own. If I am wrong, somebody that knows more than I do I would appreciate more imput on this. This is what the Lord showed me in my heart.

May 4, 2009
Okay, never mind it looks my normal anxiety has blown things up more than they actually are again. >_< So I don't think I should be worried about goign to the Bible Study, though I still will have to be careful once I do get the gift of tounges. Though atleast now a little more about where my parents stand, and I learned that my Mom's faith isn't just copy of my Dad's like I thought it was. So atleast something good came out of it.

G

Graybeard

you do not need the "gift" of tongues.
oh man, stop letting your parents control you......
i wish the strength of the lord be with you.
yes you do dothackzero, and don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.
you are to honor your parents just like the Bible says so, whether you are 100 years old or if you stay with them or not!
I would urge you to be very cautious of "chief of demons" advise as I do not think he is of this world and not one of us.

H

Harley_Angel

Just remember, lying to your parents, or decieving them is a sin. You told us last night in chat that you had been lying to your parents about your beliefs on tongues so that you could keep going to this bible study otherwise you woudln't grow as fast as a Christian. Well, right there shows me an area for you to grow in substantially. Jesus wants us to stand up for him and for the gifts he gives us, and Jesus does NOT want us to lie, especially to our parents who we are told to honor. What is going to be worse? Being honesty to yourself and to your parents and maybe hHaving to find a new venue for Bible study, which, we all know when God closes a door, He opens a window. Or would you rather explain to Jesus why you couldn't even defend your beliefs about Him to your own parents, that you lied to them, that you dishonored them just so you could do something you wanted to do?

It's a tough dilemma, but it needs to be greeted with tact and subtly, not lies and deception.

G

Graybeard

Even in the bible, a man lived at home with his parents and when he got married, he built on an extra room onto his father's house for him and his bride. No, that is backwards. THe Bible tells us that a man shall LEAVE his mother and father Gen 2:24, Mt 19:5, Mark 10:7 and Eph 5:31.

Maggie
....that is once he gets married, it does not refer to a "single man"...besides that scripture seems to insinuate that men should only move out when he gets married and not before.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graybeard

Just remember, lying to your parents, or decieving them is a sin. You told us last night in chat that you had been lying to your parents about your beliefs on tongues so that you could keep going to this bible study otherwise you woudln't grow as fast as a Christian. Well, right there shows me an area for you to grow in substantially. Jesus wants us to stand up for him and for the gifts he gives us, and Jesus does NOT want us to lie, especially to our parents who we are told to honor. What is going to be worse? Being honesty to yourself and to your parents and maybe hHaving to find a new venue for Bible study, which, we all know when God closes a door, He opens a window. Or would you rather explain to Jesus why you couldn't even defend your beliefs about Him to your own parents, that you lied to them, that you dishonored them just so you could do something you wanted to do?

It's a tough dilemma, but it needs to be greeted with tact and subtly, not lies and deception.
I fully agree.

Sep 2, 2009
yes you do dothackzero, and don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.
you are to honor your parents just like the Bible says so, whether you are 100 years old or if you stay with them or not!
I would urge you to be very cautious of "chief of demons" advise as I do not think he is of this world and not one of us.
there is a difference between honoring your parents and being controlled by them. i said you dont need the gift of tongues because it sounds like your trying to find something tangible to confirm your faith and speaking in tongues isnt required for your faith to be real.
and yes im very aware now that i made a poor choice of names on here, but as i have already explained, its meant to be ironic. and im flattered that somebody would think that im not of this world, but i assure you, i am, in fact, a human being. "one of us".. Advice from someone else who has experience in life is valuable whether you feel that they are a part of your special little clique or not. i would listen to advice from someone who has had issues with their parents no matter what their particular religion might be because parental issues transcend religious boundaries.

G

Graybeard

Psa 1:1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;

J

Jezreel

I have a confession to make Mr. Greybeard, and the others. I have had to pray that God forgive me for not honoring my mother and father, especially the death of my father, I have no sorrow for him. I pray and ask God to help me see the good that they did. I took that scripture years ago, "Obey your parents in the Lord" and seen in not in the way I should have taken in. I took it as only obey parents in the Lord, instead that I had to obey and be in the Lord about it. My mother wore the pants in the family and caused lots of grief and division and was very emmotionally and verbally abusive. If she were an unbeliever, she would have had an exucse but she constantly spoke of the Lord which made me very angry because the fruit was not there. My father was an enabler and he never did receive the Lord and up to the day he died, he never once spoke anything to give God the glory. I tried and tried to have a relationship with my mother who is now elderly and I was her caregiver until she started to use her money to try to cause division and jealousy between my grown children, I sent her to live with my brother and his wife. Since they have no kids, it is easier for them and they understand what is going on but they both seem more mature than I in the way they handle her mannipulations and threats to cut them out of the will if they displease her. I am sure glad that Jesus don't threaten to cut us out of his will!! Since I sent her away, the whole family is much better. My grown children luckily knew what she was trying to do when she lived here by using money to cause jealousy and she favors one and is abuse to others while she claims Jesus. I did ask and pray that if she was never going to repent that God would move her away if she was going to continue to try to cause strife. Where envying and stife is, there is confusion and every evil work. She has what the world would analyze, NPD (narcisstic personality disorder) The bible does not psychoanalyze but the traits she has that are contrary to what Jesus want us to be and do, is mentioned in the book of proverbs. It is a spirit of Jezebel that my grandmother handed down to her daughters and granddaughters that I repented of many years ago. The word says to confess our faults one to another and I have met other Christians that have been treated horribly by their parents that are able to love their parents anyhow. I don't seem to be there yet. I do not hate her. To me, she just is not alive and I never miss her when she is gone. It is like I don't feel for her anything but anger. I'm a bad girl I guess.

Sep 2, 2009
Psa 1:1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
Proverbs 13:10
Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

May 21, 2009
Pray for God to open their minds and hit them with the fire of the Holy Spirit and trust and know that he will. Thank him before you see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.