What do you think about genetically modified approach to killing mosquitoes?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scribe

750 million genetically engineered mosquitoes approved for release in Florida Keys

Approved by the Environment Protection Agency in May, the pilot project is designed to test if a genetically modified mosquito is a viable alternative to spraying insecticides to control the Aedes aegypti. It's a species of mosquito that carries several deadly diseases, such as Zika, dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever.

The mosquito, named OX5034, has been altered to produce female offspring that die in the larval stage, well before hatching and growing large enough to bite and spread disease. Only the female mosquito bites for blood, which she needs to mature her eggs. Males feed only on nectar, and are thus not a carrier for disease.

The mosquito is also approved to be released into Harris County, Texas, beginning in 2021, according to Oxitec, the US-owned, British-based company that developed the genetically modified organism (GMO).

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
@Silverwings (thanks) posted this back before it went live (I assume it has)

I don't care for it myself, especially with how many people are against it and the company's claims are dubious at best. I'd be open to considering it if there were more data, but there isn't.

"Oh but it worked 10000% here in this country!!!"

and yet there is no data to support that or the sample data is useless. I am amazed frankly that this got pushed through with so much governmental red tape cut through. There must be more to the reasons behind it that aren't public.

The stated reason why they went through with it is a numbers argument...I read quite a bit about it before the meeting in the Keys was scheduled to take place. I couldn't find the minutes to the meeting and there was a paywall for one of the websites that had local information of like $80 lol. I read tons of info after that, but it's a bit of a dry read.

I debated bumping her thread but it's cool that someone finally took a public interest...

Oxitec skeeters (mosquitos) if anyone wants some keyword news searching.

J-T

Banned
Jul 29, 2020
Heaven Bound
There are a great number of comments posted on this video that are very much in agreement with that of the host of the channel.

I agree that this another instance of the deceivers "playing god," & implimenting their ungodly deeds, against the American People.

WHILE WE ARE DISTRACTED THEY JUST STARTED ANOTHER WAR AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE...
August 21, 2020
A Call For An Uprising

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I would rather see GMO skeeters used than the tons of poisons that are sprayed over our communities.

Any of you who were on the farm in the late forties and fifties know the damage to livestock, especially cattle, that the screw worm did. The problem was eliminated by the release sterile males. The sterile males were created using cobalt radiation.

S

Scribe

There are a great number of comments posted on this video that are very much in agreement with that of the host of the channel.

I agree that this another instance of the deceivers "playing god," & implimenting their ungodly deeds, against the American People.

WHILE WE ARE DISTRACTED THEY JUST STARTED ANOTHER WAR AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE...
August 21, 2020
A Call For An Uprising
Dude, their just trying to kill misquitos!

J-T

Banned
Jul 29, 2020
Heaven Bound
Dude, their just trying to kill misquitos!
You don't know what the adverse side effects will ultimately yield and/or what the consequences will be. Look at all of the other agendas that are being carried out, from genetically modifying children before they reach the age of puberty toward their twisted goals of making transvestites out of them; not to mention the various Satanic clothing lines, including that of Celine Dion propagating "gender neutral", and so forth. These people are "playing god" on multiple levels on many fronts.

By the way, I have posted challenging points on your other thread regarding the C-19 vaccine and tied that in with the genetic modifying drug, Risperdal, which cause numbers of men and boys to grow female breasts, etc. No one has the right to "play god". The magic practicing priests of Ancient Egypt did that, and without doubt, they are burning in hell while their successors are working to deceive at this very hour.

https://christianchat.com/conspirac...-you-take-the-covid-19-vaccine.193744/page-12

Unfortunately, countless scores of people will not become aware of the adverse side effects of the C-19 vaccine, as well as the GMO mosquitoes until it becomes too late.

Other point that pertains to GMO is the cross breeding of various species of plants. When you read Genesis, The LORD God Almighty made it very clear that there was to be no cross breeding of any kind. And you will also learn about how all flesh corrupted itself during the days of Noah; We already see the evidence right before our eyes of flesh corrupting itself with all the the transgerism/transhumanism, as well as all of the GMO of every sort. These actions are all antichrist and that is a Biblical Fact.

S

Scribe

You don't know what the adverse side effects will ultimately yield and/or what the consequences will be.
Can you suggest something that is a realistic possibility? What do you think might go wrong? I know that pesticides have adverse side effects and if this replaces the need of pesticides then it seems like an improvement.

I am not a geneticist but I don't think that there is any danger of a bat eating one of these female misquitos and it having any danger of a DNA change itself.

I am not persuaded by the argument "we don't know what might happen" That will keep people from getting out of bed in the morning.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what eats the mosquitos.
apparently dragonflies eat mosquitos in large quantities, so, maybe just send more of them to Florida. Or frogs.

J-T

Banned
Jul 29, 2020
Heaven Bound
Can you suggest something that is a realistic possibility? What do you think might go wrong? I know that pesticides have adverse side effects and if this replaces the need of pesticides then it seems like an improvement.

I am not a geneticist but I don't think that there is any danger of a bat eating one of these female misquitos and it having any danger of a DNA change itself.

I am not persuaded by the argument "we don't know what might happen" That will keep people from getting out of bed in the morning.
We both know why you are not pursuaded by the reason that I had presented. You demonstrate(d) that with your avoidance of the key points that I had been posting on your other thread. There is a reason "why" you don't.

S

Scribe

We both know why you are not pursuaded by the reason that I had presented. You demonstrate(d) that with your avoidance of the key points that I had been posting on your other thread. There is a reason "why" you don't.
The statements you made did not address the misquito issue and I was not able to see a connection. Are you suggesting that releasing genetically modified misquitos into the Florida Everglades might result in transvestite crocodiles with breasts? From reading you posts that would be the best guess I can arrive at as to your reasoning for being against it. If this is not what you meant, please respond in such a way as to articulate why genetically modified misquitos would be a bad idea.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Why is this in Conspiracy forum? It's actually happening and they actually released them. So why classify it as "conspiracy" suggesting it's theoretical and hearsay?

S

Scribe

Why is this in Conspiracy forum? It's actually happening and they actually released them. So why classify it as "conspiracy" suggesting it's theoretical and hearsay?
I expected to hear from those who are afraid it will cause some kind of mutation in nature and to be in disagreement with it.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I expected to hear from those who are afraid it will cause some kind of mutation in nature and to be in disagreement with it.
And how do you know whether their concerns are justified or need to be thrown into "conspiracy" basket?
Have double blind long term studies been done on these things that we don't know of, proving that it's 100% safe to be released into the ecosystem?

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
what eats the mosquitos.
apparently dragonflies eat mosquitos in large quantities, so, maybe just send more of them to Florida. Or frogs.
That kind of thing was done a few times in history to get rid of various pests (use a predator to cull the pest), and unfortunately it always ends up as an even greater ecological problem (the predator overpopulates and starts becoming a pest, just larger), which I suspect is why they aren't doing it...

S

Scribe

And how do you know whether their concerns are justified or need to be thrown into "conspiracy" basket?
Have double blind long term studies been done on these things that we don't know of, proving that it's 100% safe to be released into the ecosystem?
I don't know. I simply asked for opinions. Usually whenever anything related to modifying genetics is discussed it is surrounded by conspiracy theories and ideas from fictional novels and that is why I started it in this forum because I anticipated the storm in advance as demonstrated by our good friend J-T :)

I really don't have anything to add concerning what testing was done with the misquitos. I don't even know what kind of testing can be done. What theory are we testing? Do we test in an enclosed garden and see that it works. That the misquitos in the greenhouse go extinct? I am assuming they tested in some kind of lab and know that it works. Then what? Did the monkeys in the garden who were bit by genetically modified misquitos experience any adverse effects? (I am making this up as I go) No?, ok good to go. What are we testing for?

I am trying to come up with what if scenarios that someone wants to test for. When we say "we do not know what will happen" why not? The misquitos will die out. That is what is expected to happen. Are we saying that has not been tested? I doubt they would realease them if they had not tested that much. Are we afraid that the genetically modifided female misquito will have laravae that will survive? That is what I would want tested, and I am assuming that part was tested and they know it is ready for implementation.
If all we can say is "we don't know what will happen" that is not a good reason to not go forward. If we say "we do not know what will happen to the bats" then we can test that theory. What do we need to test and has it been tested?

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I don't know. I simply asked for opinions. Usually whenever anything related to modifying genetics is discussed it is surrounded by conspiracy theories and ideas from fictional novels and that is why I started it in this forum because I anticipated the storm in advance as demonstrated by our good friend J-T :)

I really don't have anything to add concerning what testing was done with the misquitos. I don't even know what kind of testing can be done. What theory are we testing? Do we test in an enclosed garden and see that it works. That the misquitos in the greenhouse go extinct? I am assuming they tested in some kind of lab and know that it works. Then what? Did the monkeys in the garden who were bit by genetically modified misquitos experience any adverse effects? (I am making this up as I go) No?, ok good to go. What are we testing for?

I am trying to come up with what if scenarios that someone wants to test for. When we say "we do not know what will happen" why not? The misquitos will die out. That is what is expected to happen. Are we saying that has not been tested? I doubt they would realease them if they had not tested that much. Are we afraid that the genetically modifided female misquito will have laravae that will survive? That is what I would want tested, and I am assuming that part was tested and they know it is ready for implementation.
If all we can say is "we don't know what will happen" that is not a good reason to not go forward. If we say "we do not know what will happen to the bats" then we can test that theory. What do we need to test and has it been tested?
You seem oddly liberal on this controversial and ethical issue, compared to how conservative you were on hydroxychloroquine in spite of various epidemiologists approving of it. Yet for this you trust blindly, and do not seem interested to hear varied opinions from experts. You're not making sense to me anymore. That's all I'm going to say. As for everyone else, look up DARPA if you like, they funded the project.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
It's very interesting how a little media campaign was ran first how mosquitoes are terribly dangerous and transmit scary diseases (how is this news? that's common knowledge), right before releasing GM mosquitoes in USA. MIL was so alarmed by it, that she immediately bought some repellents for us all and urged us to put it on whenever we go out.
Pure coincidence............. must be. As always!
Whether these mosquitoes are dangerous or not for the environment, time will tell. They might be completely fine.
What is really concerning here is that these people are able to lobby their narrative through the media apparatus to get their way and sell/release whatever controversial product they have prepared!
What if people said no? Would we then be forced to listen about dengue fever on mainstream media 24/7 until we capitulate?
This isn't scientific or honest way of introducing these new technologies by any means, and THAT should concern every intelligent person.

S

Scribe

You seem oddly liberal on this controversial and ethical issue, compared to how conservative you were on hydroxychloroquine in spite of various epidemiologists approving of it. Yet for this you trust blindly, and do not seem interested to hear varied opinions from experts. You're not making sense to me anymore. That's all I'm going to say. As for everyone else, look up DARPA if you like, they funded the project.
Who said I don't want to hear varied opinions. I think that was my reason for posting and I stated such. Varied opinions from experts would be awesome but I don't hold to such unrealistic expectations, I will settle for varied opinions from non experts such as myself as well. All opinions are welcome.

I suppose that a case might be made for an adverse effect on some kind of animal that depends on misquitos as their number one food supply. I don't know if that is a real scenario. Is it?

If you don't want to join in the conversation, please refrain. Unkind remarks are unnecessary and will harm your relationship with God. :)

J-T

Banned
Jul 29, 2020
Heaven Bound
@Scribe, you say:
I don't know .... I really don't have anything to add concerning what testing was done with the misquitos. I don't even know what kind of testing can be done.
But yet you lump me into a group of fictional characters, concocted from the imaginations of your own mind, that get their "ideas from fictional novels" because you "anticipate a storm".
There is something terribly wrong with your logic, as you openly admit, "I don't know", but yet regard born again Christians as people that get their "ideas from fictional novels". That doesn't leave much room for the "opinions" that you alledgedly asked for, now does it?

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Seems that for every mosquito that we kill, a million more are born. It is obvious that we can eliminate them all if we just stop killing them.