What do you think about works?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 17, 2021
no

if you are a Christian (and these days I better add 'in truth and not in name only), you have already accepted the Way, the Truth and the Life

that is Jesus

what we do does not create or lessen our standing in Christ. He is our righteousness and we have none of our own

works do not save us, keep us or make us better that the One who has saved us. God does not need our additions to HIS plan for our salvation
Once you have accepted the Way the Truth and the Life, your saying, we don't have to maintain what we accepted, because we remain a. Christian always, there is nothing we need to do?
We cannot be better than Christ, we can be like him, but never better.

ISeeWhat4U

May 22, 2014
Bethlehem PA
I’m doing a reading plan on the YouVersion app called “The Wisdom of Humility” & I really like how he explains grace & works in the devotional section of day one.

“Don't try to earn your way. Grace is a free gift, but you should bear fruit in keeping with repentance. Works and virtues don't earn you salvation or favor with God, but how will anyone know what you believe if you don't live it? These are the two sides of the Christian faith.”

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
"You can accomplish anything you need to accomplish through the work of Jesus Christ". That is, what I believe to be a word from the Lord to me.

I'm pretty sure we are saved by "works". Specifically, his works. His works apply to us by grace, through faith. If we have the aforementioned "grace through faith" then we will also do his works. (like Paul said his works were "grace working in him" and Christ working in him.) If we aren't doing his works, then we have deceived ourselves, and we really don't have faith either. If grace doesn't "work in you" then it's probably not saving you either. We definitely don't earn salvation, like somebody earns wages- that isn't possible. But I do think what we do with our faith affects how much faith we will have from one point in time to the next.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021

Ogom

Aug 22, 2020
ogom.co
maybe not the 'determined'. the vessels of clay?

…19Nevertheless, God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord must turn away from iniquity.” 20 A large house contains not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay. Some indeed are for honorable use, but others are for common use. 21So if anyone cleanses himself of what is unfit, he will be a vessel for honor: sanctified, useful to the Master, and prepared for every good work.…

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
maybe not the 'determined'. the vessels of clay?
Does the potter have preeminent power and authority over the clay?

Or can the clay freely choose to become something else?

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
Its ok. You will get it one day

No one is perfect. Your right.

THATS WHY WE NEEE CHRIST. ITS WHY HE DIED. SO YOU CAN HAVE HIS PERFECTION APPLIED TO YOU

unless you believe this. You are lost
The young man kept the law (Commandments) from his youth up, so that was wonderful with just that alone.
The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Notice the young man says "All these things have I kept from my youth up: again that is hard for most people just to that.

Look what Paul says in (Rom. 13:7-10) (v.7) Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. (v.8) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. That’s the biblical definition of love, the keeping of God’s law. And you thought love was kissing and hugging and rolling around in bed. (v.9) For this, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. (v.10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

And that is what God’s holy commandments are all about; the first four tells you how to love God and the last six tells you how to love your neighbor. If you love your God you will not do any thing to offend him, like having other gods before him. You will do as he says like remember the sabbath day to keep it holy on the seventh day of the week. If you love him you will obey him when he tells you not to eat certain meats etc… And the same goes for your fellow man, if you love your neighbor you wouldn’t steal from him, you wouldn’t kill him, you wouldn’t try and sleep with his wife and so on and so forth. This is God’s definition of love and it is perfect in its ways. (See exodus 20: 1-17)

So for the young man to only lack one thing, and been doing all this from his you up, is still impressive to me.

S

SophieT

Once you have accepted the Way the Truth and the Life, your saying, we don't have to maintain what we accepted, because we remain a. Christian always, there is nothing we need to do?
We cannot be better than Christ, we can be like him, but never better.

no I didn't say that at all

deal with what I actually said

if you can

Sep 17, 2021
no I didn't say that at all

deal with what I actually said

if you can
it's exactly what you said, read your previous..... you also state that what we do doesn't create or lessens our standing in Christ.
it would be hard to be considered Christian, if we told a few white lies, took things that weren't ours, or start to deliberately berate, become condescending, or belittle others because our understandings aren't exactly the same, on the other hand, I have experienced a greater connection to Christ by not being nasty, rude or negative, and by being good, kind and empathetic, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I had to continuously monitor my mind for any negativity, or condescending thoughts, that creep in so I didn't act on them,....but that might just be me, though I doubt it.
I don't oppose, for the sake of opposition, but for growth and understanding, in the name and life of Christ, for the sake of my own.

E

eternally-gratefull

The young man kept the law (Commandments) from his youth up, so that was wonderful with just that alone.
The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Notice the young man says "All these things have I kept from my youth up: again that is hard for most people just to that.

Look what Paul says in (Rom. 13:7-10) (v.7) Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. (v.8) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. That’s the biblical definition of love, the keeping of God’s law. And you thought love was kissing and hugging and rolling around in bed. (v.9) For this, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. (v.10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

And that is what God’s holy commandments are all about; the first four tells you how to love God and the last six tells you how to love your neighbor. If you love your God you will not do any thing to offend him, like having other gods before him. You will do as he says like remember the sabbath day to keep it holy on the seventh day of the week. If you love him you will obey him when he tells you not to eat certain meats etc… And the same goes for your fellow man, if you love your neighbor you wouldn’t steal from him, you wouldn’t kill him, you wouldn’t try and sleep with his wife and so on and so forth. This is God’s definition of love and it is perfect in its ways. (See exodus 20: 1-17)

So for the young man to only lack one thing, and been doing all this from his you up, is still impressive to me.
For all have sinned and fall short. There is non righteous no not one

the young man did not keep the law since birth. If he did. He would nt need to ask christ how to recieve anything he would have had it

E

eternally-gratefull

it's exactly what you said, read your previous..... you also state that what we do doesn't create or lessens our standing in Christ.
it would be hard to be considered Christian, if we told a few white lies, took things that weren't ours, or start to deliberately berate, become condescending, or belittle others because our understandings aren't exactly the same, on the other hand, I have experienced a greater connection to Christ by not being nasty, rude or negative, and by being good, kind and empathetic, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I had to continuously monitor my mind for any negativity, or condescending thoughts, that creep in so I didn't act on them,....but that might just be me, though I doubt it.
I don't oppose, for the sake of opposition, but for growth and understanding, in the name and life of Christ, for the sake of my own.
So were abraham and david called children of God? Friends of God? One after Gods own heart?

these adulterers, Murderers, these sinners?

Sep 17, 2021
So were abraham and david called children of God? Friends of God? One after Gods own heart?

these adulterers, Murderers, these sinners?
you forgot to mention Moses, Noah and Solomon, to name a few, and it is lucky for them, their forgiveness isn't dependant on you
lucky it is not up to man to judge at the final judgement.

E

eternally-gratefull

you forgot to mention Moses, Noah and Solomon, to name a few, and it is lucky for them, their forgiveness isn't dependant on you
lucky it is not up to man to judge at the final judgement.
Your right

Tht is what is so amazing about Gods grace.
We can;t judge because this person appears tp be a morally upright person he is saved. Because he is god in our standard.

we can’t judge because this person struggl;es with a sin issue. That he is NOT a child of God. Because we have proof that Gods grace extends beyond our comprehension.

so we shoudl not judge that these people can‘t be saved and these people must be saved.

S

SophieT

what are you rambling about? Christians are not sinless. Christians are redeemed by the blood of Christ

your understanding is that those who say we do not earn salvation are also saying it is ok to sin

you are all the same

it's exactly what you said
no it is not even close to what I said

ramble on. you are not worth the effort and typical of those who are confused over works and salvation

not bothering with your assertions any further.

S

SophieT

My understanding of how to become a Christian:.... first- we are inspired (choose) to become Christians, then....we ask, seek, knock or search, for the Way, Truth and the Light, to teach and lead us to Christ, who then enters our lives, which begins our transformation to becoming Christians, then from that point on, the life we LIVE shows the world we are Christians. What we do and say from that point in our lives determines our rise or fall as Christian. there actions we must take to stay wrapped in the arms of the Lord. The Lord wants DOER's not HEARER's of the WORD.
no

if you are a Christian (and these days I better add 'in truth and not in name only), you have already accepted the Way, the Truth and the Life

that is Jesus

what we do does not create or lessen our standing in Christ. He is our righteousness and we have none of our own

works do not save us, keep us or make us better that the One who has saved us. God does not need our additions to HIS plan for our salvation

E

eternally-gratefull

no

that is Jesus

He may have a world view of what a christian is

Sadly he does not understand God's view.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
no

that is Jesus

Correct me if I misunderstood you
Do you believe when you are Christian keep murder or other bad work doesn't remove your salvation

E

eternally-gratefull

Correct me if I misunderstood you
Do you believe when you are Christian keep murder or other bad work doesn't remove your salvation
Here we go again..

A pharisee of pharisees