What do you think about works?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
To me this is really simple to understand. When you take any job you are instructed how to do the job they want,you study,to make sure you are ready, and then you work! And if you fail to work you are fired! SO!! Jesus makes this very clear through just one single scripture. ( James 1:22) What good is any knowledge without action associated with it?? Thank you!! LOL

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
To me this is really simple to understand. When you take any job you are instructed how to do the job they want,you study,to make sure you are ready, and then you work! And if you fail to work you are fired! SO!! Jesus makes this very clear through just one single scripture. ( James 1:22) What good is any knowledge without action associated with it?? Thank you!! LOL
It starts with being offered the Job.
You say yes.
Those who have offered the job train you.
That may include manuals.

The manual is the Bible.

Jesus does not fire his kids if they get it wrong.
The Holy Spirit keeps training us.

Thank you LOL

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
But Bill there will come a time when you keep getting it wrong,you will take yourself out of a job. ( 1 Tim 4:1-5)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Home thinks he was sinless since youth. And all he had to do was sell all his stuff and he would have done everything God said he had to do to recieve eternal life

I believe He THOUGHT he obeyed all the law since his youth. But Jesus tried to expose the truth and get the guy to repent. So Jesus,. Knowing he loved money more than God. Said one thing you lack. Sell everything

instead of repenting. They guy went away sad. Because he loved money more than God

Is the Europeans your team?
This site is not about digging into other people's business, this site is dedicated to the Lord. What I think does not affect the truth of the Lord in any way, and is not up for discussion. Neither do your thoughts affect the truth of the Lord that we ARE discussing. You said you would leave me alone, please do that.,

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
But Bill there will come a time when you keep getting it wrong,you will take yourself out of a job. ( 1 Tim 4:1-5)
Lets look at the following.

1 Timothy 1:3-7

No Other Doctrine
3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia—remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine, 4 nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. 5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, 6 from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, 7 desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm.

You just said 4:1-5

Lets look at 6-7.

What is it saying?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
This site is not about digging into other people's business, this site is dedicated to the Lord. What I think does not affect the truth of the Lord in any way, and is not up for discussion. Neither do your thoughts affect the truth of the Lord that we ARE discussing. You said you would leave me alone, please do that.,
FYI

@eternally-gratefull was not responding to you but to me answering a question I asked him.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
You included #475 in your response to him.
That was not aimed at you.

S

SophieT

the Bible clearly states he did, but you say he didn't.... the young man States he did, but you say he didn't, SO he kept them alright, but he did it with his own understanding, not GOD's..... I thought as Christians we are to help lead others to Christ, that would be very hard to do if you ridicule, shame or condescend any of GOD's children, who EVERYONE is until they choose or deny Christ. How can the spirit of Christ live in people, who intentionally, berate and chastise their fellow brother or sister. Where is the Love (GOD) in you.

no...the 'young man' says he did...not the Bible. the Bible records what he said

no one shamed you. I have no clue why you seem to think someone is shaming you

who is intentionally berating and chastising you? disagreement is normal here. perhaps you think every one is supposed to agree with you and if they do not, they are not showing love?

listen, if that is it, what makes it ok for you to disagree but others cannot?

Sep 17, 2021
Thankfully the Lord has not only answered my prayers for strength & understanding, but for tolerance & forgiveness... but...
I cannot believe the different levels of understanding in the Bible and Christianity, but as we all know many are called, ,FEW are chosen,
For MANY had cried Lord, Lord but he knew them not.
Now.... "HONE" did not say anything about the youth being sinless, nor was the word sinless mentioned,
Do we not call that misinterpretation, ...which is something we cannot afford to do with the Bible.
People state they believe the Bible and all that is in it, well IN the Bible the young man says he did all those things, Jesus did not say he sinned, he merely asked him to sell/give his possession's away, and follow him.
Now what the young man had done up until he met Jesus, (I'm using my intellect here, applying logic, reasoning with the help of the Holy Spirit) was what he thought keeping the Laws were. We have a perfect example of that in Paul, (who Jesus had to tell directly he was wrong)
I am assuming(can't ask him now) that he meant....He went to church, didn't bow to statues, or committed blasphemy, ...etc
It's not hard not to kill someone, it's also not hard to think negative thoughts about them either. (which as a Christian is killing them.)
Now how the young man kept the Law is what the Bible is trying to explain as WORK'S, his heart wasn't in it, he didn't do it for GOD (though he thought he was) He did it to be seen as keeping with the Law's to those around him.
We humans are not very good at controlling our emotions, but we Christians must be.
Edward de'Bono ? talks about humans wearing different hats for different aspects of our lives, eg.....teacher, police, minister, then we become father/mum, husband/wife ....friend, colleague, son/daughter...As a Christian there are no different hats, you are a Christian in all areas of your life, you don't take that robe off when you go to bed, there is no need to look for it in the morning, because it is written in the hearts and minds of true Christians, so as negatives thoughts arise, and the heart fills with negative emotions, we work tirelessly to suppress them with the strength of the Spirit which helps us to live in grace.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

We do not earn salvation by our obedience; for salvation is the free gift of God, to be received by faith. But obedience is the fruit of faith. “Ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him.” 1 John 3:5,6

What put Jesus on the Cross? --- Sin, Disobedience, transgression of the law, evil works, our deeds and actions.

So do we continue in sin that grace may abound?

Do we act like a sinner because Jesus died for our sins?

Do our works mean anything? Works reveal who is living in our hearts.

Do you agree that a born again Christian will have different works to an unconverted person?

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Sep 17, 2021
Mean my BRETHREN, I for 1 appreciate the analogy, ....and hope you don't mind if I use it.....now if I was an atheist, something like this would be helpful, something like this tells me, that if I take the job (Christianity),... I'm instructed (I'm assuming this refer's to the Bible)
-pls let me know if I'm wrong-....to study to help me get ready (behave and do a few things) to meet GOD, if I don't do these things I'm fired (don't meet GOD)....and you added a Bible verse to support it....I did crack up(laugh) when I read how simple that made it.
Thank you so much.
BillG is correct when he say's the Lord doesn't fire his children, he is always there for them....he helped me see that What I do know after accepting the job is a lot of workers (his children)..... don't even apply for the job,.. some make applications but never do the follow up,... others start taking days off.....some of them quit and walk away.....and through all these moments GOD was there.

just to carry the job application scenario on.....Lol

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Good Brother Hone,it was not meant to be mean just direct and to the point,I am 68 years of age,and blame my bluntness on the Military. ( LOL) But after some 3 years of discipleship I got even worse in the Lord!! LOLI never need to hear a long story from someone,just get to the point already!! LOL Therfore I treat others in the same way I like hearing from someone who asked a very important question. Jesus in me was and is blunt to me to!! So do not feel alone! hehe

Sep 17, 2021
Good Brother Hone,it was not meant to be mean just direct and to the point,I am 68 years of age,and blame my bluntness on the Military. ( LOL) But after some 3 years of discipleship I got even worse in the Lord!! LOLI never need to hear a long story from someone,just get to the point already!! LOL Therfore I treat others in the same way I like hearing from someone who asked a very important question. Jesus in me was and is blunt to me to!! So do not feel alone! hehe
Sorry my brother,... Mean in New Zealand means awesome, wow, amazing...etc..lol (thought this might happen, was gonna alter it, compelled not to)....lol..its' the way us young folk talk, 55, ...I hear you, the first 5 years of seeking GOD, I was a mouse, once I knew what was required and expected of me, I was baptised,2017, and oh man did the BOLDNESS come out & was necessary, so I made enemies,(casualty's of war) but the spirit also helped me make other changes in my life cut my 7yrs dreads 2020, softened the heart, is now making my conversation, soft and pleasant to the ear/or eye's,... grow in faith my brother, and Peace be to you and your family and may GODblessusall.

E

eternally-gratefull

Considering I was not talking to or about you

once again you just show how your failure to understand what people are saying affects your responses to them.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You included #475 in your response to him.
That was not aimed at you.
Thanks! I am getting so gun shy I see bullets coming for me that aren't there. She/he used this to aim at me later.

When Rome attacked the first Christians they used real bullets, she/ne only uses words.

S

SophieT

Thanks! I am getting so gun shy I see bullets coming for me that aren't there. She/he used this to aim at me later.

When Rome attacked the first Christians they used real bullets, she/ne only uses words.

uh

they did not have bullets during the Roman occupation.

I am sorry this is happening

people need to say what is going on here and leave off. it's helping no one.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
uh

they did not have bullets during the Roman occupation.

I am sorry this is happening

people need to say what is going on here and leave off. it's helping no one.
We are told that God will use everything for our good when we love Him, I have been wondering how we can make this be for our good. The attacks seem to start when someone felt a post was against them personally and not a discussion of scripture. At that point, all discussion of scripture went out the window. I hope a search for the start of the attacks will give insight.

S

SophieT

We are told that God will use everything for our good when we love Him, I have been wondering how we can make this be for our good. The attacks seem to start when someone felt a post was against them personally and not a discussion of scripture. At that point, all discussion of scripture went out the window. I hope a search for the start of the attacks will give insight.

ok

I will leave that up to you then

thanks