What does, “But the one who endures to the end will be saved” mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 20, 2021
All my life I have heard Pre, Mid, and Post Tribulation. It finally occurred to me that most make it up as they go along. Honestly they just don't know and are just giving you their opinions. Gird up and prepare for the end, no one knows what is coming or when. Jesus himself does not know his appointed time to return, only the Father.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Read Acts ch 7 and ch 15

Better yet, seek the Lord and read Acts
Read 1 Corinthians 9:21 (kjv), Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5; 1 John 2:3-6.

The Bible does not contradict itself; so anything that I am going to read in Acts is not going to contradict anything that we find in the rest of the Bible; such as the two verses that I gave you, in a post above (#239).

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
All my life I have heard Pre, Mid, and Post Tribulation. It finally occurred to me that most make it up as they go along. Honestly they just don't know and are just giving you their opinions. Gird up and prepare for the end, no one knows what is coming or when. Jesus himself does not know his appointed time to return, only the Father.
Indeed.

For, Jesus said,

Mar 13:35, Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:

Aug 2, 2021
Read 1 Corinthians 9:21 (kjv), Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5; 1 John 2:3-6.

The Bible does not contradict itself; so anything that I am going to read in Acts is not going to contradict anything that we find in the rest of the Bible; such as the two verses that I gave you, in a post above (#239).
i know the Scripture doe snot contradict itself, but you are not following the Instructions correctly which is why i say for you to read Acts and not just read it but pray that you might understand.

Simple: The Law was the Schoolmaster (Sin &Death) to bring us to Christ.
Christ came and did for us what we could not do ourselves - fulfill the Requirements of Schoolmaster
Christ went one step further by telling the Schoolmaster this: I will Pay for the Sins of the World
Christ became the VICTORY for us and the Schoolmaster lost it's job = no longer allowed in School.
Now we have a New Principal = the HOLY SPIRIT who is unlike the nasty Schoolmaster who's Nickname is SIN & DEATH.
The HOLY SPIRIT has a couple of Nicknames = DOVE, COMFORTER, TRUTH

But the Schoolmaster did not leave completely -
It hangs around the School Yard seeing if it can get the Kids to skip the School of the Holy Spirit.

Jul 24, 2021
Posted with permission)
I think one of the major issues of contention, whether or not The Elect of God, Christians, will go through the Great Tribulation, is due to a major misunderstanding of the scripture in both Ephesians 2:8 and Matthew 24:13. It is my hope this article saved in my favorites file for years now will assist in clearing that up.

June 24, 2017
In Matt 24:13, Jesus says the famous words:
But the one who endures to the end will be saved. (ESV)​
Perhaps the most common understanding of this passage is that we must endure in good works to the end of our physical lives to be saved from hell. This understanding contradicts Paul’s words in Eph 2:8a:
For by grace you have been saved through faith. (ESV)​
Notice two differences between Eph 2:8a and Matt 24:13: First, the Matt 24:13 salvation is by enduring whereas the Eph 2:8a salvation is by grace through faith. Second, the Matt 24:13 salvation is future (“will be saved,” from the Greek future tense, sothesetai) whereas the Eph 2:8a salvation is past (“have been saved,” from the Greek perfect tense sesosmenoi). Salvation from hell was by grace through faith and has already happened to me, so what is the future salvation by endurance that Jesus is talking about in Matt 24:13? The answer is in the context.
Matthew 24:13 is part of an answer to the question that Jesus’ disciples asked earlier in the chapter:
As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” (Matt 24:3 ESV)​
It makes sense that the salvation in vs 13 should be in the future tense; after all, the disciples are asking about the future. Specifically, they were asking about the 7-year tribulation period. One reason we know that the Tribulation is in view is because Jesus says that the abomination of desolation (which Daniel talks about in Dan 9) will occur during this period. We also know that this is the tribulation because they asked immediately after Jesus said that not one stone of the temple would be left on another – surely a reference to the replacement of the 2nd temple with the temple that Ezekiel writes about in Ez 40-48.

Yep. There are still stones on top of each other.
(source)

We already know that the salvation in question is not salvation from hell, so what is it a salvation from? In verse 22, Jesus indicates that salvation from physical death is in mind:
And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. (ESV)​
When Jesus says, “He who endures to the end will be saved,” He does not mean that you must be good until you die to be saved from hell. He is talking about a specific group of people in the future who will need to endure to the end of the tribulation in order to be saved from physical death.
Understanding Matt 24:13 is good news for several reasons. It’s good news to know that we don’t need to endure to the end of the Tribulation because we aren’t in the Tribulation. It’s also good news to know that we won’t even be in the Tribulation, in fact, this is the doctrine that Paul points to for us to encourage each other with.1 Perhaps most of all, it’s a relief to know that we can take Jesus at His word to give eternal life to whomever believes in Him for it:
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. (John 5:24 ESV)​

1. See this article by a popular theologian.
In Genesis, the tree of life was denied to mankind. Amongst the many patriarchs, a Promise was made to Abram. In Revelation, the Promise to Abraham will be fulfilled and the tree of life restored.

Rapture theology is unscriptural. Revelation is an oracle against the faithful. The mark is not for the faithless just for the faithful who may end up on the left hand side (without grace in the Eyes of God). The faithless are dead persons walking.

Aug 2, 2021
This is a pre-trib thread, you arrived at the end so you must be a post-trib then. (humor)

i began as a pre-trib but then mid-trib way thru i realized that i was still here which also places me at the End.

So, in fulfillment of the prophecy of the Title of this Thread - i endured to the End.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Christ came and did for us what we could not do ourselves - fulfill the Requirements of Schoolmaster (Graduate from the School)
Christ went one step further by telling the Schoolmaster this: I will Pay for the Sins of the World
Christ became the VICTORY for us and the Schoolmaster lost it's job = no longer allowed in School. (No. The school is still there. It will always be there. It is just not for those who have graduated to Christ.)
Now we have a New Principal = the HOLY SPIRIT who is unlike the nasty Schoolmaster who's Nickname is SIN & DEATH.

It hangs around the School Yard seeing if it can get the Kids to skip the School of the Holy Spirit.
People have been going to that school their whole lives. It is like second nature to keep going there.

It is hard for them to believe that they have graduated and don't need to keep going back.

Which is weird. Because you don't have to tell high school graduates that they don't need to go back to high school the next year. But sheep are truly very dumb. They (we) need more help than they realize.

Aug 2, 2021
People have been going to that school their whole lives. It is like second nature to keep going there.

It is hard for them to believe that they have graduated and don't need to keep going back.

Which is weird. Because you don't have to tell high school graduates that they don't need to go back to high school the next year. But sheep are truly very dumb. They (we) need more help than they realize.
Hey, people are going to think i said = Words in Red Added = Did you correct my Paper Teacher = lol = love it

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
It means that the ones that are saved will endure to the end. Once we are in His hands, I'm told, nothing can snatch us out. If they leave us, they were never of us.

Aug 2, 2021
It means that the ones that are saved will endure to the end. Once we are in His hands, I'm told, nothing can snatch us out. If they leave us, they were never of us.

That Guy who told you - "nothing can snatch us out of His Hands"

There is a saying going around about Him - "He never loses a Fight'.

FIRM FAST HANDS

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
In Genesis, the tree of life was denied to mankind. Amongst the many patriarchs, a Promise was made to Abram. In Revelation, the Promise to Abraham will be fulfilled and the tree of life restored.

Rapture theology is unscriptural. Revelation is an oracle against the faithful. The mark is not for the faithless just for the faithful who may end up on the left hand side (without grace in the Eyes of God). The faithless are dead persons walking.
We know the fate of those who are not saved.

Please support the rest of your observations with scripture. Thanks in advance.😊

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
i know the Scripture doe snot contradict itself, but you are not following the Instructions correctly which is why i say for you to read Acts and not just read it but pray that you might understand.

Christ came and did for us what we could not do ourselves - fulfill the Requirements of Schoolmaster
Christ became the VICTORY for us and the Schoolmaster lost it's job = no longer allowed in School.

The moral law is a schoolmaster (teacher) to lead you to Christ. Once you have come to Christ, you don't need the schoolmaster any more; because he has taught you everything he knows; you have been fully trained by him.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
How do you consolidate that absolute judgement with those who left the church, but later returned and remained faithful?

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
The moral law is a schoolmaster (teacher) to lead you to Christ. Once you have come to Christ, you don't need the schoolmaster any more; because he has taught you everything he knows; you have been fully trained by him.
You're saying sinners are led to Christ by the moral law's of God, the 10 commandments?

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
You're saying sinners are led to Christ by the moral law's of God, the 10 commandments?
Yes, that is what I am saying.

The law is a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24) in that it shows mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour / salvation (Romans 3:20). Thus, it has the power to convert the soul (Psalms 19:7).

Mat 1:21, And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Tit 2:13, Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Tit 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Tit 2:15, These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, that is what I am saying.

The law is a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24) in that it shows mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour / salvation (Romans 3:20). Thus, it has the power to convert the soul (Psalms 19:7).

Mat 1:21, And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Tit 2:13, Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Tit 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Tit 2:15, These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
Those scriptures do not sustain your point though.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Those scriptures do not sustain your point though.
Which scriptures?

The ones I referenced (which do sustain my point); or the ones I quoted (which sustain a different point)?

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
Which scriptures?

The ones I referenced (which do sustain my point); or the ones I quoted (which sustain a different point)?
It was obvious. I quoted your post #255. Those scriptures you posted do not sustain your statement in post #255.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
The ones that I quoted; not the ones that I referenced.
How about none of the scriptures you quoted,referenced, which is one and the same thing, do not support your claim.

Now you'll attempt to go and play your game by asking, which claim?

And that will serve to further prove you're not about discussing Exegesis.