What does born again mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It means Christ is born in us. It's a little confusing because it sounds like we are born again; but a careful study of scripture doesn't really support this. We die, Christ is born in us.

How is a man born again?
All I will say on this is the one critical ingredient is faith; without faith nothing else matters.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Salvation.

How is a man born again?
John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

This "believing" is simply receiving God's free gift of Salvation. We then faithfully follow Him, but initially it is simply opening our heart's door to Jesus.

Revelation 3:20
“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
the Hebrew word for Born Again

Strong's Concordance
anagennaó: to beget again
Original Word: ἀναγεννάω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: anagennaó
Phonetic Spelling: (an-ag-en-nah'-o)
Definition: to beget again
Usage: I beget again, beget into a new life.

referring to God regenerating a believer (giving a supernatural, new birth).
thoroughly to change the mind of one, so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God,

-----I say

So when one is drawn by God to have their heart and ears open to hear the Gospel we have a choice to either accept God's drawing or we can reject it ------If we accept God's Drawing to have our heart and ears open to the Gospel --hearing the Gospel inbirths in us Saving Faith -----This Faith is alive and active and produces ----This faith can move your mountains out of the way so you can do as God's Word says -----

Saving Faith which is Faith in the unseen realm is the foundation to becoming Born Again ------

You Believe that Jesus existed ---you believe He is the Son Of God the Father ----you believe that He died and was raised from the dead -----and what you believe you will speak ------so by speaking out your belief your confessing your Faith in what the Word says ------ and you are Born again from Above ----the Holy Spirit comes to reside in you and is a witness to your corrupted Spirit and inside your Spirit is now Holy and is recognized by God as such ---you are then Heaven bound -----

Now some people like myself have a very profound Character and mind change when they become Born Again and for me it was immediate ----other experience shuttle changes but know they are different in the was they see things before they were born again

So to be Born again ----you should have some kind of a transformation in the way you think and act ----

For Example
---you might have flown off the handle yelling and screaming at a person who had stepped in front of you as you wait to be served in the bank or grocery store -----and think nothing of it -----

BUT now in your Born Again State ---if this was to happen to you ----and you yelled and screamed at the person --you would right away have a dreaded felling inside you ---a feeling that you didn't handle that right -----that is the Holy Spirit convicting you as to your wrong approach to this situation -----

It is like a veil has been lifted from your old Eyes and mindset and you see that the yelling and screaming at someone is now not what you should be doing ------you feel guilty and upset inside where you did not before ---you felt like you won and showed the person your anger in your old Nature ------there is a transformation in you to change the way you deal with people who may annoy you -----

And as you grow in your Born Again state ---you become more aware of the difference in your Old Nature and your New Nature -------and you will not want to go back to your Old Nature ------you will strive to have peace inside instead of turmoil ------

That is how I would describe being Born Again ------

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017

How is a man born again?
thanks
God giving His elect a brand new resurrected soul. This is the first resurrection.

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Jan 4, 2023
the Hebrew word for Born Again

Strong's Concordance
anagennaó: to beget again
Original Word: ἀναγεννάω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: anagennaó
Phonetic Spelling: (an-ag-en-nah'-o)
Definition: to beget again
Usage: I beget again, beget into a new life.

referring to God regenerating a believer (giving a supernatural, new birth).
thoroughly to change the mind of one, so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God,

-----I say

So when one is drawn by God to have their heart and ears open to hear the Gospel we have a choice to either accept God's drawing or we can reject it ------If we accept God's Drawing to have our heart and ears open to the Gospel --hearing the Gospel inbirths in us Saving Faith -----This Faith is alive and active and produces ----This faith can move your mountains out of the way so you can do as God's Word says -----

Saving Faith which is Faith in the unseen realm is the foundation to becoming Born Again ------

You Believe that Jesus existed ---you believe He is the Son Of God the Father ----you believe that He died and was raised from the dead -----and what you believe you will speak ------so by speaking out your belief your confessing your Faith in what the Word says ------ and you are Born again from Above ----the Holy Spirit comes to reside in you and is a witness to your corrupted Spirit and inside your Spirit is now Holy and is recognized by God as such ---you are then Heaven bound -----

Now some people like myself have a very profound Character and mind change when they become Born Again and for me it was immediate ----other experience shuttle changes but know they are different in the was they see things before they were born again

So to be Born again ----you should have some kind of a transformation in the way you think and act ----

For Example
---you might have flown off the handle yelling and screaming at a person who had stepped in front of you as you wait to be served in the bank or grocery store -----and think nothing of it -----

BUT now in your Born Again State ---if this was to happen to you ----and you yelled and screamed at the person --you would right away have a dreaded felling inside you ---a feeling that you didn't handle that right -----that is the Holy Spirit convicting you as to your wrong approach to this situation -----

It is like a veil has been lifted from your old Eyes and mindset and you see that the yelling and screaming at someone is now not what you should be doing ------you feel guilty and upset inside where you did not before ---you felt like you won and showed the person your anger in your old Nature ------there is a transformation in you to change the way you deal with people who may annoy you -----

And as you grow in your Born Again state ---you become more aware of the difference in your Old Nature and your New Nature -------and you will not want to go back to your Old Nature ------you will strive to have peace inside instead of turmoil ------

That is how I would describe being Born Again ------
Regeneration does this refer to water baptism?

Jan 4, 2023
God giving His elect a brand new resurrected soul. This is the first resurrection.

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
how is one born again then?

Jan 4, 2023
Salvation.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

This "believing" is simply receiving God's free gift of Salvation. We then faithfully follow Him, but initially it is simply opening our heart's door to Jesus.

Revelation 3:20
“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”
Why skip vs 22? Baptism

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

How is a man born again?
thanks
you are born again when you hear and believe Gods word of life the gospel

being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For All flesh is as grass, And all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:23-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The term is describing a new beginning a new start a re creation of you

God had been saying this to the people

“Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭36:25-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

He said this many times in different as but he was promising to come and make the people new give them a brand new heart and a brand new spirit he was essentially going to re create man make man new make a new beginning for mankind

a that’s what the term born again is about we’re being re made other a new heart and spirit by the faith of the gospel

for example God said “ I will give you a new spirit I will put my spirit in you “

“Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:63‬ ‭KJV‬‬

see as we hear and believe Jesus word in the gospel the new promised testament were being re made internally the “ spirit “ of o mind is bei mg changes by hearing Gods truth this hearing of faith causes a change from the old mans mind and heart to a new man re made in his image with a new spirit and heart

Being born again is to go through this process

if so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

that ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:21-24‬ ‭

the process of being re made in Christs image . Its referencing the change of a persons mind and heart because they believe the gospel the word of God causing a transformation of the person from a sinner ruled by the world to a child of God ruled by the lord

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The mind, or spirit, is neutral. When a person is still a slave to sin their mind is held captive by sin. When a person is "reborn," all that happens is Christ comes to reside in them and the sin nature is crucified. Then our mind is set free from bondage to sin and we walk as (willing) slaves of Christ.

We are regenerated in a sense; that is, all things become new for us, but our soul isn't regenerated nor are we given a new soul. We aren't zapped into a new and better version of ourselves.

Jan 4, 2023
you are born again when you hear and believe Gods word of life the gospel

being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For All flesh is as grass, And all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:23-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The term is describing a new beginning a new start a re creation of you

God had been saying this to the people

“Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭36:25-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

He said this many times in different as but he was promising to come and make the people new give them a brand new heart and a brand new spirit he was essentially going to re create man make man new make a new beginning for mankind

a that’s what the term born again is about we’re being re made other a new heart and spirit by the faith of the gospel

for example God said “ I will give you a new spirit I will put my spirit in you “

“Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”

see as we hear and believe Jesus word in the gospel the new promised testament were being re made internally the “ spirit “ of o mind is bei mg changes by hearing Gods truth this hearing of faith causes a change from the old mans mind and heart to a new man re made in his image with a new spirit and heart

Being born again is to go through this process

if so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

that ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:21-24‬ ‭

the process of being re made in Christs image . Its referencing the change of a persons mind and heart because they believe the gospel the word of God causing a transformation of the person from a sinner ruled by the world to a child of God ruled by the lord
baptismal regeneration thanks

oyster67

May 24, 2014
What about Mk 16:16 and acts 22:16 and 1 pet 3:21 and sealed eph 1:13 thanks
Yes. What about it? (thanks :))
It is good to change the tub water from time to time, but this has nothing to do with salvation. The only baptism that pertains to salvation is the baptism of the Spirit (which happens at the time of initial salvation thanks.)

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
John 3:3-4 . . Jesus declared: I tell you the truth; no one can see the
kingdom of God unless he is born again. How can a man be born when he is
old? Nicodemus asked. Surely he cannot enter a second time into his
mother's womb to be born!

No sir; one thing's for sure: it isn't a do-over.

Man came into being as a creature constructed from nature, i.e. Man is a
natural soul.

In contrast, the Man about which Jesus spoke is constructed from above--
i.e. Heaven --so that he comes into being as a supernatural soul.

John 3:5-6 . . Jesus answered: I tell you the truth; no one can enter the
kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to
flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.

NOTE: The chemistry of the "water" is very controversial. I'm satisfied
knowing what it is for myself, but do not care to discuss it.

* According to Jesus, the Spirit birth and the kingdom of God are earthly
things (John 3:12) so we're not talking about getting into Heaven, rather;
we're talking about citizenship in the millennium, i.e. Messiah's return and his
governance of the current scheme of things.

Seeing as how all the Old Testament luminaries were looking forward to that
kingdom, then they too will have to undergo the Spirit birth the same as
everybody else, viz: the "no one" in John 3:5 means just exactly that; no
exceptions, viz: Chrisians don't have a lock on this procedure, i.e. they don't
own it.

FAQ: How does one get in on this Spirit birth requirement?

REPLY: I highly recommend beginning your application by following the
example of Jesus' crucified friend; like this:

Luke 23:39-42 . . One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at
him: Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us! But the other criminal
rebuked him. Don't you fear God, he said, since you are under the same
sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds
deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong. Then he said: Jesus,
remember me when you come into your kingdom.

That man's confession, and his prayer, were 110% successful.

Luke 23:43 . . Jesus answered him: I tell you the truth, today you will be
with me in paradise.
_

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Baptism isnt about regeneration it’s about remitting sins in Jesus death. New life is about faith

What im saying is renewing of the mind by faith , hearing the word of God the gospel and believing

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭4:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”

“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and

that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”

see how there’s two ? The flesh and then the spirit ?

Paul’s doctrine elaborates on the concept exceedingly

“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:16-17, 19-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Baptism is part of the gospel it is the part thats about remission of sins in his name the new birth comes because we hear believe the gospel and it changes how we think to believe what Jesus teaches

Nee birth is about the transformation of the person from who they were we change through how and what we believe and think and act the new person beings to form because we believe the gospel

“and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:23-24‬ ‭

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭3:10-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The knowledge Jesus gave in the gospel is gods living word able to change us was my point we have to believe e things Jesus taught about salvation and eternal life to be born again have to let this understanding in

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

water baptism is just something we need to first hear about and believe like everything else then we’re going to willingly be glad to get baptized for remission of our sins in Jesus name

belief in general is how we’re born again

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Regeneration does this refer to water baptism?
No it does not ---refer to WATER BAPTISM ----it refers to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit ------Water Baptism was done by John the Baptist for Repentance only -------that did not save anyone -----that just made the people ready to be Baptised by the Holy Spirit which came after Jesus assented into Heaven -

Water Baptism today is a profession of one's Faith ----just getting Baptised by Water WILL NOT SAVE YOU ------ you need the Holy Spirit indwelling in you to make your Spirit Holy and acceptable to God ------to get into Heaven

Jan 4, 2023
Yes. What about it? (thanks :))

It is good to change the tub water from time to time, but this has nothing to do with salvation. The only baptism that pertains to salvation is the baptism of the Spirit (which happens at the time of initial salvation thanks.)
No it does not ---refer to WATER BAPTISM ----it refers to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit ------Water Baptism was done by John the Baptist for Repentance only -------that did not save anyone -----that just made the people ready to be Baptised by the Holy Spirit which came after Jesus assented into Heaven -

Water Baptism today is a profession of one's Faith ----just getting Baptised by Water WILL NOT SAVE YOU ------ you need the Holy Spirit indwelling in you to make your Spirit Holy and acceptable to God ------to get into Heaven
John prepared the way by baptism of f repentance and spoke of the new covenant sacrament of baptism to follow Matt 3:11
Also Mk 16:16 acts 2:38-39 acts 8:36-38 1 pet 3:21 eph 1:13 thanks

Jan 4, 2023

Jn 3:5 what’s the water for?