What does "fear the Lord" mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Are we to be afraid of God? Or are we to be in awe and reverence of Him?

[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 12:28–29
[/FONT]

[SUP][FONT=&quot]28 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot]Therefore let us be grateful for receiving [SUP]r[/SUP]a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus [SUP]s[/SUP]let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, [/FONT][SUP][FONT=&quot]29 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot]for our [SUP]t[/SUP]God is a consuming fire. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 12:5–11 [/FONT]

[SUP][FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot]And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][SUP]f[/SUP]“My son, [SUP]g[/SUP]do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]nor be weary when reproved by him. [/FONT]
[SUP][FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot] For [SUP]h[/SUP]the Lord disciplines the one he loves, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and chastises every son whom he receives.” [/FONT]

Are we to be in constant fear of chastisement?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Hebrews 12:28–29

[SUP]28 [/SUP]Therefore let us be grateful for receiving [SUP]r[/SUP]a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus [SUP]s[/SUP]let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, [SUP]29 [/SUP]for our [SUP]t[/SUP]God is a consuming fire.

Hebrews 12:5–11

[SUP]5 [/SUP]And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?
[SUP]f[/SUP]“My son, [SUP]g[/SUP]do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor be weary when reproved by him.
[SUP]6 [/SUP] For [SUP]h[/SUP]the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives.”

Good thread.

I have asked that question on another thread already ongoing.

Sep 3, 2016
The fear of the LORD means to take God seriously. We are called to the obedience to the faith (Jesus Christ and Him Crucified) which brings Grace (unmerited favor). Romans 1:5; 16:26

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Believer Fear Definition: The "fear" of the Lord is about "reverence toward God", "respect for Him", "love and appreciation", "holding God & His beloved Son in high esteem" "Awe".
(Reverence-Respect-Honor-Awe!)

Non-Believer Definition: "anticipation of danger" "dread of danger" "alarm"
(Danger-Dread-Alarm)

Ephesians 5:21 Submit to one another out of (reverent) fear for Christ.

Proverbs 22:4 humility and the (reverent) "fear of the LORD" are riches, and honour, & life.

Psalm 25:14 The secret of the LORD is with them that (reverently) "fear him"; & he will shew them his covenant.

Psalm 33:18 Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that (reverently) "fear him", upon them that hope in his mercy;

Psalm 34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that (reverently) "fear him", & delivereth them.

Psalm 34:9 O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that (reverently) "fear him".

Psalm 85:9 Surely his salvation is nigh them that (reverently) "fear him"; that glory may dwell in our land.

Psalm 103:11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that (reverently) "fear him".

Psalm 103:13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that (reverently) "fear him".

Psalm 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that (reverently) "fear him" and his righteousness unto His children;

Psalm 111:5 He hath given meat unto them that (reverently) "fear him": he will ever be mindful of his covenant.

Psalm 145:19 He will fulfil the desire of them that (reverently) "fear him": he also will hear their cry, & will save them.

Psalm 147:11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that (reverently) "fear him", in those that hope in his mercy.

Luke 1:50 And his mercy is alway's on them that (reverently) "fear him".

Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God "is a sun & shield": 'the LORD will give grace (FAVOR) and glory": "no good thing will he withhold" from them that walk uprightly.

Psalm 37:4 Delite in the Lord, & he will give you the desires of your heart.

So, by entitlement (not because of who we are, but "WHO'S" we are) we already have ALL BLESSING in above mentioned scripture's. We need to know, believe and confess this. Faith & Confession (the spoked Word) are the Key & Bridge to receiving them. Maranatha

2 corinthians 5:21
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
(Every person that has received Jesus as Lord: Is the "RIGHTEOUS" before GOD thru Jesus Christ)

Romans 3:22.
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
(WE ARE THE "RIGHTEOUS" BEFORE GOD THRU JESUS CHRIST! So, His favour surround's us like a shield")

Proverbs 21:1 The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.

Psalms 5:12 The LORD, wilt "bless" the "righteous"; with "favour & surround him as with a shield"

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Good thread.

I have asked that question on another thread already ongoing.

Oh I'm sorry. I did not realize there was another thread. My bad. I should have look more closely.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Oh I'm sorry. I did not realize there was another thread. My bad. I should have look more closely.
Ooh no no no.

It was a question I asked on another thread?
It's on the Not By Works thread that I asked the question.

Someone posted about fearing God but it came across as "Be afraid, very afraid"

So I challenged that, as I believe that as believers we do not need to be afraid of God.

Infact I asked someone about an hour ago who mentioned about to fear God.
So I asked the question "What does it mean to fear God?

So I'm glad you have started a dedicated thread concerning this.

I'm gonna just sit back and observe responses.

Great thread to open

Sep 3, 2016
The fear of the LORD means to take God seriously. We are called to the obedience to the faith (Jesus Christ and Him Crucified) which brings Grace (unmerited favor). Romans 1:5; 16:26
The scriptures says it like this, "And the times of this ignorance God winked at (sin); but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Acts 17:30

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
The scriptures says it like this, "And the times of this ignorance God winked at (sin); but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Acts 17:30
What about those who have never heard about Jesus and his death and resurrection?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Back some months ago, a member spoke of something that I would call the true fear of the Lord. If this ever happens in your service, you will never question this again.

There is such a thing as a Holy Hush. The presence of Holy Spirit comes into the meeting, and you know that you know God is here. No one speaks, no one can speak. There may be weeping.

I experienced it yesterday after listening to a highly anointed video. Weeping. A good weeping. Not grief, but God moving.

Something one will love and desire, His Presence. It is reverence, awe, and all those things. Fear? Only to the enemy.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand

[/FONT]

[SUP][FONT=&quot]28 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot]Therefore let us be grateful for receiving [SUP]r[/SUP]a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus [SUP]s[/SUP]let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, [/FONT][SUP][FONT=&quot]29 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot]for our [SUP]t[/SUP]God is a consuming fire. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[SUP][FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot]And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][SUP]f[/SUP]“My son, [SUP]g[/SUP]do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, [/FONT]
[SUP][FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot] For [SUP]h[/SUP]the Lord disciplines the one he loves, [/FONT]

Reverence, respect, honour..

Not like being terrified

God is all powerful and knowing and created all things. So we are to revere Him

Fear not as in afraid.. altho I'm sure if I saw an Angel or God.. I would b shaking in my boots

Dec 15, 2015
To fear the Lord is to hate evil ... KJVProverbs8;13 13. The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Dec 15, 2015
Some another verse on this topic,The fear of God is beginning of wisdom KJVProverbs9;10 10. The fear of Lord is the beginning of wisdom; and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Dec 12, 2013
It boils down to reverence.....we are also told to come boldly before the throne of grace to obtain mercy and help in time of need....

We reverence God...we are not told to shake with fear like a whipped dog cowering......

A

Ariel82

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Fear of chastenment? I would think as we grow older and more mature we I will be the kful because it teaches us righteouseness

V

valleyofdecision

The fear of the Lord is an awareness of the Holy Spirit that you come to God in reverence, honor, respect and come to realize that you have intimate relationship with him.

Proverbs 1:7-
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

When the Holy Spirit convicts/convinces a person of the need of Savior, he does through through the goodness, truth and mercy of God, which makes the respondent reverence God in a way they never have. Once they accept the free gift of salvation, their knowledge of Good begins.

This fear is not terror as so many think. It is deep reverence and intimacy that many need to enter into.

Wisdom calls and asks us to accept her reproof and if we do she will pour out her spirit upon us and make her words known to us.

Wisdom only comes from deep intimate reverence, relationship with Father.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Ooh no no no.

It was a question I asked on another thread?
It's on the Not By Works thread that I asked the question.

Someone posted about fearing God but it came across as "Be afraid, very afraid"

So I challenged that, as I believe that as believers we do not need to be afraid of God.

Infact I asked someone about an hour ago who mentioned about to fear God.
So I asked the question "What does it mean to fear God?

So I'm glad you have started a dedicated thread concerning this.

I'm gonna just sit back and observe responses.

Great thread to open

Well good that makes me feel better. I wouldn't want to undermine what someone else has begun on another thread. One thread is enough on a subject. lolol

I agree. We should never be afraid of God but rather reverence His awesomeness and His holiness.

I don't want my children to be afraid of me but to respect me, whether or not they agree with me.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
I used to think "fear of the Lord" meant being terrified of Him. Always looking over my shoulder to see if I slipped up and was going to be punished. In other words, I had a picture in my mind of a harsh-looking person just waiting for me to slip up so He could chastise me.

Anyone else felt like this?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Yes and no star, we should fear chastisement like my children used to say "my daddy is going to kill me." At the same time they would feel disappointed if I did not. You regret that it is coming, you loath it while it is happening, but you know you need it.

Hebrews 12:11: "Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."

Once it is over, we know we are loved.

Hebrews 12:6: "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth."
:cool:

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
But fearing and dreading God's chastisement is not the same as being afraid of Him.
Yep, He has chastised me more than once and I'm sure He will again whenever (not if) I need it again.